Science & Engineering

General Chatter
RedFromMI

Re: Science & Engineering

Post by RedFromMI »

Tracking the ‘Murder Hornet’: A Deadly Pest Has Reached North America

Sightings of the Asian giant hornet have prompted fears that the vicious insect could establish itself in the United States and devastate bee populations.
Just in case you have no fear of COVID-19:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/us/a ... ngton.html
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Big Deal in Particle Physics. This opens up a new era of discovery in this discipline. Would expect new 4 + quark particles to be discovered at a greater rate now. It is clear LHC has high enough energy to fill out the entire zoo of 4 quark particles.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:41 pm Big Deal in Particle Physics. This opens up a new era of discovery in this discipline. Would expect new 4 + quark particles to be discovered at a greater rate now. It is clear LHC has high enough energy to fill out the entire zoo of 4 quark particles.
Esoteric for most readers here (and even to a bit for someone like me trained in atomic collisions and surface physics). But it is significant.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/clim ... fb-nytimes

Compact Nuclear Fusion Reactor Is ‘Very Likely to Work,’ Studies Suggest

"A series of research papers renews hope that the long-elusive goal of mimicking the way the sun produces energy might be achievable.

Scientists developing a compact version of a nuclear fusion reactor have shown in a series of research papers that it should work, renewing hopes that the long-elusive goal of mimicking the way the sun produces energy might be achieved and eventually contribute to the fight against climate change.

Construction of a reactor, called Sparc, which is being developed by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a spinoff company, Commonwealth Fusion Systems, is expected to begin next spring and take three or four years, the researchers and company officials said.

Although many significant challenges remain, the company said construction would be followed by testing and, if successful, building of a power plant that could use fusion energy to generate electricity, beginning in the next decade."

I would be interested in thoughts on this from scientists/engineers around here - TIA.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Kismet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:28 am https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/clim ... fb-nytimes

Compact Nuclear Fusion Reactor Is ‘Very Likely to Work,’ Studies Suggest

"A series of research papers renews hope that the long-elusive goal of mimicking the way the sun produces energy might be achievable.

Scientists developing a compact version of a nuclear fusion reactor have shown in a series of research papers that it should work, renewing hopes that the long-elusive goal of mimicking the way the sun produces energy might be achieved and eventually contribute to the fight against climate change.

Construction of a reactor, called Sparc, which is being developed by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a spinoff company, Commonwealth Fusion Systems, is expected to begin next spring and take three or four years, the researchers and company officials said.

Although many significant challenges remain, the company said construction would be followed by testing and, if successful, building of a power plant that could use fusion energy to generate electricity, beginning in the next decade."

I would be interested in thoughts on this from scientists/engineers around here - TIA.
Looks like they have a decent theoretical underpinning behind the design - the ultimate question is can they produce a working model in less than 20 years.

Time horizon for fusion seems to have been "around 30 years" forever - at least this is more optimistic.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Zinc...the next energy storage source?

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.o ... orage/amp/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Bart

Post by Bart »

this is a cool video of 1 single cell organism hunting and eating another single cell organism

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arecibo-ob ... collapses/

Some of the geeks on here will remember this better than I. It did it job for many decades.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:49 pm https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arecibo-ob ... collapses/

Some of the geeks on here will remember this better than I. It did it job for many decades.
Interesting and thanks for sharing. My son may have used data from that place for a project he was working on.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Good news on the solar cell front. Major milestone reached.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Interesting short video on the collapse of commercial supersonic flights via the Concord:

https://fb.watch/2N36V7ElOy/
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Jupiter’s moon Lo casting a shadow on the planet

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:54 am Jupiter’s moon Lo casting a shadow on the planet

That’s a cool photo.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”