Science & Engineering

General Chatter
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Science & Engineering

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Cooter wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:51 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:43 am I recall reading that the universe is made up of more stars than there are grains of sands on every beach on the planet. Mind boggling.
But most of them are extremely far away.
Maybe far away is relative.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:58 am https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fast-radio ... y-16-days/

"A mysterious deep space radio burst is sending signals to Earth every 16 days

By Sophie Lewis

February 11, 2020 / 2:50 PM / CBS News

A mysterious object in a galaxy 500 million light-years away is confusing scientists with its signals. It appears to be transmitting signals that reach Earth in a repeating, 16-day pattern, but researchers have no idea why.

According to a recent study, this marks the first time astronomers have detected a reliable pattern in the signals, known as fast radio bursts, or FRBs. It's an important step in figuring out where the bursts originate from.

Before now, such pulses appeared to be random in timing. That changed when the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment Fast Radio Burst Project (CHIME/FRB) discovered a repeating pattern."

Thoughts on how significant this could be?
I suspect it will turn out to be rather mundane once understood. Just one more weird cosmic object. The fact that it repeats is not significant, we have been observing pulsars for 60 years. What is strange is the frequency of repetition, very low. This is a signature for a structure of great size being responsible. Obviously a very high energy source, neutron star, black hole, etc., probably orbiting in a multiple star system. Perhaps even a larger system. Very skeptical about it being a signature of some alien intelligence. I believe all the FRBs observed to date have been attributed to extragalactic sources. Likely that based on this observation, CHIME will find that other FRBs are repeating with very low frequency, probably even lower frequency.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:22 pm
Cooter wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:51 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:43 am I recall reading that the universe is made up of more stars than there are grains of sands on every beach on the planet. Mind boggling.
But most of them are extremely far away.
Maybe far away is relative.
# stars in Milky Way about 10^11 (ten raised to the 11th power). Majority of them are smaller/cooler/dimmer than our Sun (red dwarfs).
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 am
Kismet wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:58 am https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fast-radio ... y-16-days/

By Sophie Lewis

A mysterious object in a galaxy 500 million light-years away is confusing scientists with its signals. It appears to be transmitting signals that reach Earth in a repeating, 16-day pattern, but researchers have no idea why.

According to a recent study, this marks the first time astronomers have detected a reliable pattern in the signals, known as fast radio bursts, or FRBs. It's an important step in figuring out where the bursts originate from.

Before now, such pulses appeared to be random in timing. That changed when the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment Fast Radio Burst Project (CHIME/FRB) discovered a repeating pattern."

I suspect it will turn out to be rather mundane once understood. Just one more weird cosmic object. The fact that it repeats is not significant, we have been observing pulsars for 60 years. What is strange is the frequency of repetition, very low. This is a signature for a structure of great size being responsible. Obviously a very high energy source, neutron star, black hole, etc., probably orbiting in a multiple star system. Perhaps even a larger system. Very skeptical about it being a signature of some alien intelligence. I believe all the FRBs observed to date have been attributed to extragalactic sources. Likely that based on this observation, CHIME will find that other FRBs are repeating with very low frequency, probably even lower frequency.
The regular nature of the signal is the key - there are lots of processes connected to rotation/orbit that are very regular (as a pulsar). But there are always those who first look at a source like this and think something like "beacon" instead of looking for a natural regular process.

Astro trivia here - the first discovered pulsar signal was initially named LGM-1. What does LGM stand for?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:13 am

By Sophie Lewis

The regular nature of the signal is the key - there are lots of processes connected to rotation/orbit that are very regular (as a pulsar). But there are always those who first look at a source like this and think something like "beacon" instead of looking for a natural regular process.

Astro trivia here - the first discovered pulsar signal was initially named LGM-1. What does LGM stand for?
Can I play or is this reserved for non-physicists? ;)

PS - if it turns out to be some "natural regular process", that would be bigger news. 16 day period for something like that seems unlikely. I'll go with beacon until proven wrong. Now if they can verify other FRBs are regularly repeatable and have the same period, that would be a strong indicator that it is some "natural regular process". If other FRBs have different periods (I am guessing longer or they would likely have been seen by now) that argues for the beacon model.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:59 pm

By Sophie Lewis

PS - if it turns out to be some "natural regular process", that would be bigger news. 16 day period for something like that seems unlikely. I'll go with beacon until proven wrong. Now if they can verify other FRBs are regularly repeatable and have the same period, that would be a strong indicator that it is some "natural regular process". If other FRBs have different periods (I am guessing longer or they would likely have been seen by now) that argues for the beacon model.
You ever see the movie Moon?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:18 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:59 pm

By Sophie Lewis

You ever see the movie Moon?
If I am understanding you correctly, I don't think that is what is meant by "natural regular process" in this case. I believe Red is using that phrase to rule out something attributable to orbital / planetary mechanics (rotation). The beacon model would make use of such orbital / planetary mechanics.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

No guesses on LGM-1?

And by natural regular motions, I do mean orbits/rotations. That is how pulsars work.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.space.com/near-earth-binary ... -moon.html

Near Earth asteroid passing by this weekend
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:35 pm No guesses on LGM-1?

And by natural regular motions, I do mean orbits/rotations. That is how pulsars work.
I know the answer, I was allowing others to have the fun.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Yes that is how pulsars work. I will have to go back and read you comment again, because I got the impression you were trying to not include those as possibilities.

PS - After re-reading - I really don't understand the meaning of your comment. Seems contradictory to me.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 pm

I know the answer, I was allowing others to have the fun.
I am sure you do. So for the others - the hint - think science fiction from over a hundred years ago...
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:47 pm

Yes that is how pulsars work. I will have to go back and read you comment again, because I got the impression you were trying to not include those as possibilities.

PS - After re-reading - I really don't understand the meaning of your comment. Seems contradictory to me.
I may have worded it poorly. I actually would suspect something like a pair of black holes orbiting each other or some other massive coupling to get that sort of length of time for the period...
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:29 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:47 pm

I may have worded it poorly. I actually would suspect something like a pair of black holes orbiting each other or some other massive coupling to get that sort of length of time for the period...
Yes, I agree the period is likely the result of some orbital mechanics.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

I bought the book. Came yesterday. Have not had a chance to read it yet. Only about 100 pages.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:08 am
I bought the book. Came yesterday. Have not had a chance to read it yet. Only about 100 pages.
I am tempted to read it but I am not a trained scientist. I just love that stuff. With more encouragement in high school, I would have gone into a physical science.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »