Re: The DOGS thread is back.

Post by DMac »

Who let the dogs out?
Rated R for language.
https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=807285627070913
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:46 pm Who let the dogs out?
Rated R for language.
https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=807285627070913
:lol: :lol: I feel her pain on occasion.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Too funny, Labs are nuts, the world's a playground and everything's a toy. Tail waggin' fools too.
https://www.facebook.com/reel/612472530 ... ingle_unit
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:21 am Too funny, Labs are nuts, the world's a playground and everything's a toy. Tail waggin' fools too.
https://www.facebook.com/reel/612472530 ... ingle_unit

You must log in to continue.

Can you post the content, please. I don't have a FB account and cannot see what's there.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't know how to do that, Brook.
Think you have to go here:
The Black Lab Life
Private · 28K members
The mission of The Black Lab Life Facebook group is to highlight its members' love of the Black Labrador Retriever. We are a community of dog-lovers who, through pictures, stories, and shared experience, celebrate how the breed enhances our lives on a deeply personal
Think you'd have to sign up for facebook.
UPS guy delivering a package, puts it on the porch, dog's all over it, box looks like a toy to him.
Owners won't have to open the box to see what's in the package, dog does a fine job of doing that for them.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Happy National Black Dog Day.
(I think Dobermans count here too...close enough ;) )
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I concur dmac....a day late:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

news from Lake Wobegone ~ cute little Princess gets rewarded for her good deed:

notice the kitty at the window
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I had no idea there was a dog thread.

My breed until now has been kuvaszok. I have serially owned 3. Each females @ +/-120 lbs. They are an ancient Hungarian sheep guarding breed. For a time they were guards for the Hungarian royal family. Beautiful dogs. They would be put out to pasture with the sheep and left. It is fascinating to see how the two parties react to a live threat. The Germans in WWll tried to exterminate the breed. Fortunately they failed. Last go around i went to another breed bcs they shed heavily. Your floor can resemble a cotton field. I would post a photo of one but find i can’t just do a copy and paste. They make great decisions, are trainable, made great family dogs and need socialization so as not to become overly protective.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You've missed a lot of doggone fun here, OC.
Must be these guys, eh? Big good looking dogs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6m4hPljYro
Similar to this guy. Have watched this guy now and
then since the day he brought him to the farm.
Maremma.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAX2ARoZoks&t=47s
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

OCanada wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:32 am I had no idea there was a dog thread.

My breed until now has been kuvaszok. I have serially owned 3. Each females @ +/-120 lbs. They are an ancient Hungarian sheep guarding breed. For a time they were guards for the Hungarian royal family. Beautiful dogs. They would be put out to pasture with the sheep and left. It is fascinating to see how the two parties react to a live threat. The Germans in WWll tried to exterminate the breed. Fortunately they failed. Last go around i went to another breed bcs they shed heavily. Your floor can resemble a cotton field. I would post a photo of one but find i can’t just do a copy and paste. They make great decisions, are trainable, made great family dogs and need socialization so as not to become overly protective.
Or neighbors have recently adopted a 2+ y/o kuvaszok. My doberman, also recently rescued and 2+ y/o (already had pups), while they are both on leashes they both just seem overly protective (leash reactive)....both hold on as long as possible, then commence to barking and pulling. We did get them to meet a bit closer and my Doberman was clearly fearful, as she got low and backed up, while the kuvaszok had more of dominating stance.

Strangely, the kuvaszok is the only dog in the neighborhood that sets her off. I witness the kuvaszok and other dogs also doing the same with other dogs. It appears most dogs need that socialization at an early age and if they do not get it....well, its the baggage they have until it is resolved through countless hours of training, which we are in the midst of.
~Livy
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

They are true to their breeding and purpose. Some owners of dogs like the rottie believe if they socialize them they soften. They don’t, they will do what they are bred to do. Socializing prevents over protectiveness and makes them good citizens. I had my first pup from a Hungarian pair. The Hungarians are sharper than the American strains. I failed to take socializing seriously enough. As you noted you then have to go back and socialize them properly. My first would let a 2 yo child lead her by the ear.

The event that led to reprogramming was the first time i boarded her, which i dislike doing i gave instructions no clean up bath. I enjoy doing it. When i arrived to pick her up the vet wanted to chat. They tried to bath her anyway. The end result was she cornered the entire staff in a room and would not let them out. She sat and watched them. They called a nearby by vet for assistance. I had to socialize her to board her. It was not hard to do but i never underestimated the importance of it again.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

OCanada wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:32 pm They are true to their breeding and purpose. Some owners of dogs like the rottie believe if they socialize them they soften. They don’t, they will do what they are bred to do. Socializing prevents over protectiveness and makes them good citizens. I had my first pup from a Hungarian pair. The Hungarians are sharper than the American strains. I failed to take socializing seriously enough. As you noted you then have to go back and socialize them properly. My first would let a 2 yo child lead her by the ear.

The event that led to reprogramming was the first time i boarded her, which i dislike doing i gave instructions no clean up bath. I enjoy doing it. When i arrived to pick her up the vet wanted to chat. They tried to bath her anyway. The end result was she cornered the entire staff in a room and would not let them out. She sat and watched them. They called a nearby by vet for assistance. I had to socialize her to board her. It was not hard to do but i never underestimated the importance of it again.
So true. My first Doberman (male) Zeus, we got as a pup, was absolutely amazing with our kids....just as you described, so tolerant. Dog actually slept outside tour sons room after we brought him home. My son would sit right next to him while the dog ate his food....even shared some Pro Plan with Zeus regularly, would snuggle right around our so.

I am currently going through the pain of socialization right now.....tough going, but making strides. I am not a fan of using treats, the dog is already food motivated to the max, so I am restraining from making it even worse. Might be making matters harder for me. Using the 'tells' and 'queues' from the dogs body language coupled with instant praise, to catch her before she gets spooled has done wonders. Once they get spooled up, then over correction takes place, I've found the progress is even slower and builds frustration. Occasionally, I use my outside foot to give her a tap on the hind quarter while we walk to also provide enough of a distraction to reset her inner conflict.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Definitely a whole lot to being the human of a canine which, unfortunately, isn't taken enough into consideration by too many humans. Friend's son and GF just got themselves a nice little furry bundle of Malinois. He grew up with a couple of Lhasa Apsos, don't know about her and dog experience, that kind of dog needs an experienced human with his type. I don't see this ending well.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Definitely gonna rock their world. Hopefully as a pup they have time to learn and adapt together. If it’s a rescue, those night time zoomies are gonna rock their world, and hope for no separation anxiety.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not a rescue, just a little pup they had flown in from somewhere, can't remember where. Just don't see this as the right kind of dog for these two, they're a handful that require a lot of attention. You have to channel all that energy and intelligence in the right direction and absolutely establish who the Alpha in the house is or you're in trouble with that kind of dog. Amazing dogs but I believe not the kind of dog for most people. She actually bought the dog, the two don't live together but when her lease expires in a few months she's moving in with him (with her child too). With age comes wisdom and this aint lookin' good to this aged one.
He was talking about getting a GSD awhile back, I tried telling him that's just not the right kind of dog for him (keep in mind this guy grew up with Lhasa Apsos and has no idea what he's getting into with a GSD or Malinois) but you know how it goes when people make up their minds about dogs. We had a GSD growing up (got him when I was 11), that dog was a phukn maniac, didn't help that he hung out with a bunch of teens who contributed to his being a maniac either. A fantastic training partner, you weren't beating him to any GB and there weren't many moves that would get you by him without his being able to grab a pant leg. Absolutely can learn a lot about focus and intensity from those guys, they just never quit or give up, better bring your A game with them. Had that guy when there were no leash laws too (unimaginable when you think about that today), NFW that dog should've been running free....never bit anyone but scared the schidt out of plenty). Got another one at 23 but that was a whole different story. Was really into it, had the time, right place, and plenty of energy. Went through a daily routine from a very young pup and pretty much through his entire life (he only made it 8 years...GSDs don't have a good record for longevity), just a fantastic dog trained to the hilt (never trained him to attack), didn't need a leash, he knew what heel meant and that's what he did. He knew who the Alpha was and aimed to please, GSDs are crazy intelligent dogs but another breed that should only be owned by the right kind of people.
Have become a real Lab lover, they love everyone and just want to have fun. Super good dogs, tail wags more during their lifetime than not. That's the kind of dog most people should own, especially if fetching and catching are high on your priority list
of attributes you're looking for in a dog (GSDs are great for this too). We'll see how it all goes with the Malinois but I'm thinkin' this is a classic example of why so many dogs end up in adoption shelters.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's hilarious but I can't say the least bit surprising. Those dogs are highly trainable and are just way too intelligent, you gotta keep that mind occupied. Mommy's going to be teaching him to lift the lid next. :lol:
This is a great picture of the Dobie, youth, very good looking dog.
youthathletics wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:34 am I concur dmac....a day late:

Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Know your breed. Not understanding exercise needed, nutritional do & don'ts and most importantly what they are meant to do is a recipe for an animal
winding up in a shelter. My labs I like better than most people. Have mostly gone the rescue route. Tough to train a dog out of bad behavior and habits once their established.
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

I imagine many of you have heard this one, but it was new to me (via daughter-in-law).

Our dogs are with us for such a short part of our lives, but we are with them for essentially their entire lives.

Puts an interesting perspective on our relationship with these great companions (who are proof that the world is good - or at least cares about us).
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”