New programs

D2 Mens Lacrosse
D2fan

Re: New programs

Post by D2fan »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:41 am Should be an interesting hire. Any thoughts on who they should look at?
Depends on how serious they are.

In terms of building a program, Stock at Indy and Paradine at LR both have been the most recent guys to build top programs from the ground up. But I don't think you can pull those guys away.

Then you have guys like Perruzzi at Lewis and Cotter at Newberry who seem to know what they are doing.

The other option is going after a top assistant coach like Ryan Sullivan at Tampa or Vinnie Alexander at Le Moyne.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

I played in the SSC and went to a few away games to NOVA. The campus is beautiful, good size for D2, in a metro area and has a major university within walking distance. Mark my words- with the right coach... this school will be a powerhouse. In relatively no time.

I am pretty sure that Paradine will never leave LR. Maybe Stocks would leave Uindy- but I hear that they're considering transitioning to Division 1... (if GVSU starts the trend). Stocks is almost promised a conference championship and NCAA tourney birth every year with Indy. Think in an uber competitive conference, like the SSC and the behemoth that is Tampa. He'd probably lack some hardware on his fingers. BUT, who knows. Maybe hes tired of the cold.

FWIW, some random on twitter commented on the post and said "don't be surprised when you hear a BIG lacrosse name take the HC role" - not exactly word for word- but pretty close. Wonder if he knows anything.
Yeti_33

Post by Yeti_33 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:30 am
FWIW, some random on twitter commented on the post and said "don't be surprised when you hear a BIG lacrosse name take the HC role" - not exactly word for word- but pretty close. Wonder if he knows anything.
Would Whipple come out of retirement for this? Built FSC and Tampa
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

That would be something. Whipple having his hands in building 3 programs in the same conference. Epic !
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Yeti_33 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:33 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:30 am
Would Whipple come out of retirement for this? Built FSC and Tampa
Whip, moved back to Central NY. Sounds like he is officially retired.
lax1983

Post by lax1983 »

Whipple is a volunteer assistant at Cortland state living in a dorm.

I think he would take anything :D
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

After what happened at Tampa thats about all he's gonna get
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

What happened at Tampa? Lynn had a coach jump ship because of a hazing situation and put in charge an AC who may or may not be qualified as interim coach. If Lynn continues to drag their feet on a new hire it will be costly come season....players will be looking to transfer. Whipple would seem on paper to be who Lynn, Nova should be looking at. SSC belongs to Rollins and Tampa. Everyone else is fighting for 3rd and 4th place.Go Rollins!
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Let's keep it to his "retirement" wasn't on his terms
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

lax1983 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:17 am Whipple is a volunteer assistant at Cortland state living in a dorm.

Whipple is not at Cortland anymore.. he’s been back down in Tampa as the HC of Tampa Catholic. Which has also been confirmed by former Tampa Players of his.

https://floridalacrossenews.com/florida ... -catholic/
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

shaadb-man wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:32 am Let's keep it to his "retirement" wasn't on his terms
Yes. I've heard the same thing.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
NCLax14

Post by NCLax14 »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:27 am What happened at Tampa? Lynn had a coach jump ship because of a hazing situation and put in charge an AC who may or may not be qualified as interim coach. If Lynn continues to drag their feet on a new hire it will be costly come season....players will be looking to transfer. Whipple would seem on paper to be who Lynn, Nova should be looking at. SSC belongs to Rollins and Tampa. Everyone else is fighting for 3rd and 4th place.Go Rollins!
Didn’t Fl Southern beat Rollins twice last season? And most of their conference wins were by a goal or 2? Don’t know where this “SSC belongs to Rollins” stuff is coming from…
lax1983

Post by lax1983 »

StuckinD2 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:35 am
lax1983 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:17 am Whipple is a volunteer assistant at Cortland state living in a dorm.

Whipple is not at Cortland anymore.. he’s been back down in Tampa as the HC of Tampa Catholic. Which has also been confirmed by former Tampa Players of his.

He left Tampa Catholic after either 1 day or 1 week, I can't remember what I was told. He went to Cortland after that. Idk how this guy keeps getting coaching gigs, I've only heard bad things about him.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

lax1983 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:43 am
StuckinD2 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:35 am

He left Tampa Catholic after either 1 day or 1 week, I can't remember what I was told. He went to Cortland after that. Idk how this guy keeps getting coaching gigs, I've only heard bad things about him.
Rubber Check Rory
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

NCLax14 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:18 pm Didn’t Fl Southern beat Rollins twice last season? And most of their conference wins were by a goal or 2? Don’t know where this “SSC belongs to Rollins” stuff is coming from…
I think its because of their recent transfer haul. As I look at it, they picked up some good pieces. But... Tampa probably has double that. We just dont know it yet.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:14 pm
NCLax14 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:18 pm Didn’t Fl Southern beat Rollins twice last season? And most of their conference wins were by a goal or 2? Don’t know where this “SSC belongs to Rollins” stuff is coming from…
I think its because of their recent transfer haul. As I look at it, they picked up some good pieces. But... Tampa probably has double that. We just don't know it yet.
I do like Old&InTheWay’s enthusiasm, but Rollins has proved nothing over the last couple of years. They have had a couple of nice wins over the years, but they are not consistently a threat to Tampa.

We will see how their transfers fare. There have always been guys transferring into D2 from top-end D1 programs, but it’s usually been 50/50 in terms of if they are impact players. I remember attackman Mike Morris was the #7 overall recruit and transferred to Tampa. I watched teams shortstick him as junior and senior. He eventually got benched for a freshman.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

D2fan wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:50 pm I remember attackman Mike Morris was the #7 overall recruit and transferred to Tampa. I watched teams shortstick him as junior and senior. He eventually got benched for a freshman.
People dont forget!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO_g1HZmDbk
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Also want to add that I am hearing rumors that Northwood (MI) is going to get a lacrosse team in the very near future.

They used to have a D2 team quite a while back.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

I apologies for my over zealousness but Rollins has been very consistent over the years, head coach has been there awhile, and the new additions only point to good things . I do think Tampa might struggle a little..... only thing harder than winning a national championship is following it up with another championship, so the stars might not aline again and it might be a hangover year. The rest of the SSC teams seems to be scrambling FS- seems like the coach interviewed for a few jobs and wants out of their... FIT very questionable coaches and AD, Lynn a mesh. St. Leo is total rebuild mode, ERU might sneak in and really surprise people. PBA not sure the resource or the set up is there to make a serious charge. So NOVA if done correctly could leap fog to the middle of the conference quickly. Go Rollins!
NCLax14

Post by NCLax14 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:11 pm Also want to add that I am hearing rumors that Northwood (MI) is going to get a lacrosse team in the very near future.

They used to have a D2 team quite a while back.
Quite a while back is right, I def played them in the late 90’s!

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”