Baseball

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Baseball

Post by youthathletics »

Javy Lopez is my all time favorite.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:19 am Javy Lopez is my all time favorite.

Interesting how so many great MLB catchers are Puerto Rican:

http://members.tripod.com/bb_catchers/c ... torico.htm
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

Johnny Bench was phenominal, Pudge Rodriguez too.
Both had cannons for arms and the accuracy to go along with it (throw don't mean jack if it's not on the bag). Bench is my favorite and that Reds team was something else!!!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:09 pm Johnny Bench was phenominal, Pudge Rodriguez too.
Both had cannons for arms and the accuracy to go along with it (throw don't mean jack if it's not on the bag). Bench is my favorite and that Reds team was something else!!!

Bench honed his skills playing for San Juan. He and Pudge in HOF where they belong.

But one catcher who isn't in the Hall but should be is Elston Howard. Sparky Lyle said that while they had their disagreements, Elston defo belongs in it.

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

new rule in Atlantic League - home of the LI Duck - ''stealing first base'':

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/new ... upx5k5r5oi

If the catcher fails to catch the pitch while it is in flight, the batter can take off to 1B. However, it is recorded as field's choice, not as a hit or walk.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The bat boys better start a union soon.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/roche ... of-course-
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 pm new rule in Atlantic League - home of the LI Duck - ''stealing first base'':

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/new ... upx5k5r5oi

If the catcher fails to catch the pitch while it is in flight, the batter can take off to 1B. However, it is recorded as field's choice, not as a hit or walk.
Don't like this idea, feel as if the O needs to earn their way on base (put the ball in play) rather than getting on on a D error....the getting on on a dropped ball (passed ball) on the third strike is a bit wacky but I'm okay with it.
I'm okay with Milo, gotta love a bat dog. I'm just hoping they don't do away with the ball girls with the new netting rules and all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMANWCh-Xdc
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

another young child injured by baseball at MLB game:

https://fox8.com/2019/07/22/lindor-call ... foul-ball/

We've seen far too many of these occasions in recent years. Perhaps it is because fans don't watch the game enough at those stadiums. In recent years when I've gone to a game, the fans chat about Wall Street, their mothers-in-law, bunions, and traffic. But they spend too little talking about the game or even watching it. A foul ball comes along and they become quite vulnerable as they have no expectation of it. Shame that this happens but it comes as no surprise since these folks just aren't real baseball fans anymore.

The easy solution is readily available - relieve boredom by shortening the length of the games by going back to the full strike zone, no more than 1 minute in between innings, speed up the pace of the game, and push back the sidelines a bit further back than they are now. Let's have fewer yuppy crowds at the games and let's have real fans show up to enjoy watching baseball, not basebore.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

In today's baseball this is a thing of beauty.

In y'days baseball the 2nd baseman is blasted by the baserunner, ala Hal McRae, and either eats the ball or throws it into the dirt somewhere.

But, we're playing today's baseball so high marks to the Twins!

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Saw my first ever lefty catcher in the LLWS today.
Sorry to report that he was just awful, no idea why he was behind the plate as the kid who came in to replace him in the third was a good little catcher and should have been there from the start. The lefty catcher did indeed look very odd back there but I've still never really been able to figure out why there are no lefty catchers in baseball (no, the lefty catcher wasn't using a catcher's mitt, looked like a first baseman's mitt, as he undoubtedly wasn't able to find one).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:44 pm another young child injured by baseball at MLB game:

https://fox8.com/2019/07/22/lindor-call ... foul-ball/

We've seen far too many of these occasions in recent years. Perhaps it is because fans don't watch the game enough at those stadiums. In recent years when I've gone to a game, the fans chat about Wall Street, their mothers-in-law, bunions, and traffic. But they spend too little talking about the game or even watching it. A foul ball comes along and they become quite vulnerable as they have no expectation of it. Shame that this happens but it comes as no surprise since these folks just aren't real baseball fans anymore.

The easy solution is readily available - relieve boredom by shortening the length of the games by going back to the full strike zone, no more than 1 minute in between innings, speed up the pace of the game, and push back the sidelines a bit further back than they are now. Let's have fewer yuppy crowds at the games and let's have real fans show up to enjoy watching baseball, not basebore.
While I won't argue as to length and pace of the game, unfortunately paying attention doesn't save you. They've done studies of people's ability to flinch out of the way and it ain't pretty, even when you know it's coming at some point just not exactly when. Netting is the only solution.
DMac

Post by DMac »

They really do the LLWS up right, what thrill for a young kid.
Great sportsmanship, I haven't seen a pitcher not go over to
a batter who was hit by a pinch and give him a, my bad, was
unintentional, tap/pat.
Pretty good little ball players for the most part. Fun stuff.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:00 pm Saw my first ever lefty catcher in the LLWS today.
Sorry to report that he was just awful, no idea why he was behind the plate as the kid who came in to replace him in the third was a good little catcher and should have been there from the start. The lefty catcher did indeed look very odd back there but I've still never really been able to figure out why there are no lefty catchers in baseball (no, the lefty catcher wasn't using a catcher's mitt, looked like a first baseman's mitt, as he undoubtedly wasn't able to find one).

I watch lots of men's softball and we have plenty of lefty catchers in the sport. We need more in pro baseball!

DMac

Post by DMac »

More? Has there ever been one?
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Yours truly, a proud lefty, caught in Little League when I wasn’t pitching, then moved on to a better Spring sport. I can’t say children’s left handed catcher’s gloves are common, but I had one and still see a few in larger sporting goods stores. My guess is mine came from Morsan’s in Roosevelt Field.

As for why you don't see LH catchers, it’s that most hitters bat R, so base stealing would be more frequent and effective.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Did the same (pitched when there wasn't anyone else ready to go but I was no pitcher) with the switch and I loved baseball (still like the game a lot) and being a catcher. Lacrosse just had way too much more to offer.
Have always heard about lefty catchers and the throwing to the bases thing but I never really bought it. Lot of lefty batters out there too but that never much mattered to me (I'm a righty on a baseball field) when throwing to second (or any bag). I really don't think I've ever seen a lefty catchers mitt...think I'd remember if I had.
I don't believe there's ever been a lefty catcher in the pros, has there?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:40 pm I don't believe there's ever been a lefty catcher in the pros, has there?

https://tht.fangraphs.com/top-10-left-h ... -for-2006/

http://members.tripod.com/bb_catchers/c ... hleft2.htm

Most were before 1900.

I caught maybe half a dozen games in my time - spent far more time as LHP or left fielder/1B.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks, Brookie, very interesting and entertaining article.
Ultimately it says pretty much what I've always thought,
there aint no good reason lefties can't be catchers. I had
thought about the tag at the plate, for that play you're
better off having the glove on your left hand, but that's
no real big deal either.
BRING ON THE LEFTY CATCHERS NOW!!!!!!
DMac

Post by DMac »

This LLWS has been a pleasure to watch, Five Star rating from me. Everything about it has been done right, outstanding commentators who keep it fun, good ball players, good coaches, perfect diamond, 22K in attendance. Really good stuff.
#22 for Louisiana, Reece Roussel, breaks the all time hit record in the LLWS with 15 hits. Kid's 15-20 and I don't believe has been struck out. Made contact on 17 consecutive swings, finally missed one. Two pitches later, another hit and two more RBIs. Sees the ball, attacks the ball, puts the bat on the ball. Terrific hitter, good in the field as well.
Louisiana v Curacao for all the marbles. Another good team, loaded with big kids who are pretty darn good.
Williamsport does the LLWS right.
Game's at 3 o'clock Sunday.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

MLB players weekend uniforms - this sums it up,

Terry Francona, on the Indians’ all-black uniforms: “What’s the slogan, ‘Let the kids play?’ Let the grown-ups look like morons.”

Francona joked that he isn’t going to make any pitching changes because he doesn’t want to be seen in public.

Whoever came up with this cockeyed idea needs to have their head examined!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”