Adult Beverages

General Chatter
wahoomurf

Adult Beverages

Post by wahoomurf »

I believe there's a person (afan perhaps?)on lummy's (FanLax) who is involved in the manufacture of spirits. I found this fascinating article on Atlas Obscura.I'd be interested in hearing from any of you who may have sampled it. There's beer thread so why not an "adult beverage" landing spot?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/bake ... 8d4f3d4d3b
DD-Tech

Re: Adult Beverages

Post by DD-Tech »

I thought you went fishing today?

That sounds like an interesting fun! I do drink some gin but it’s not my beverage of choice but would love to give it a try. Sounds like it may make a nice fall cocktail to sit by the outdoor fire pit one afternoon.

I really enjoy my Jim Beam Red Stag. I enjoy the cherry infused flavor with a certain cigar I smoke. I am sure there is some better cherry flavored bourbons out there. Would like to hear some suggestions.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DD-Tech wrote:I thought you went fishing today?

That sounds like an interesting fun! I do drink some gin but it’s not my beverage of choice but would love to give it a try. Sounds like it may make a nice fall cocktail to sit by the outdoor fire pit one afternoon.

I really enjoy my Jim Beam Red Stag. I enjoy the cherry infused flavor with a certain cigar I smoke. I am sure there is some better cherry flavored bourbons out there. Would like to hear some suggestions.
"She who must be obeyed" put the kibosh on fishing for the next few days. Furniture sales abound and my lovely lady wants to redecorate. I have a headache. :|
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Going to Scotland next spring on a week long golf excursion. Need to be educated about Scotch.

Anyone??

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

dislaxxic wrote:Going to Scotland next spring on a week long golf excursion. Need to be educated about Scotch.

Anyone??

A fan would be your man regarding the spirits. I was there last year after a family reunion in Wales. The wife and one of our daughters, both primarily wine drinkers, suddenly became whiskey conissours after visiting several distilleries while we were in Ireland and Scotland. As a result, our family “adult beverage” budget has increased greatly. :shock:

However, the trade off was that I was able to play the majority of the courses in the Open Championship rota, along with Ballybunion and Lahinch in Ireland. So not a bad deal at all.

Enjoy the golf and while it has changed hands now, make sure to visit the Dunvegan in St. Andrews. Shoot me a PM if I can help in any way.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

dislaxxic wrote:Going to Scotland next spring on a week long golf excursion. Need to be educated about Scotch.

Anyone??

Never be a snob of scotch, whiskey, bourbon, etc....just enjoy each each sip and you will find your way just fine. I did this with bourbon and cigars of the past year or two, always bought a different bottle and different stick. The way I look at, I am married, so that part of my life is on lock down....and now I get to have an open relationship with other whiskey and cigars for enjoyment. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Dis, my only advice is to try it all, and listen to what the locals say. Take a tour of a distillery if you can. And enjoy!

My probelm is there's not a lot of whiskeys and bourbons out there I DON'T like. Sure, I like some more than others, but most will hit the spot!

:D
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

im really good friends with a professional scotch taster. dislax please PM me and i can maybe get you some info.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Anyone??

Do you mean you want to be educated before the trip? Or during?

I can help with both. If it's before, I need to know where you live so I can suggest where to go and who to talk to.

If it's during, where are you going in Scotland?
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Never be a snob of scotch, whiskey, bourbon, etc....just enjoy each each sip and you will find your way just fine.
Where's the damn clapping emoji?

YA and thatsmell have it figured out. Nothing's worse than sucking all the fun out of enjoying beer/wine/spirits. The fun part is finding out what you like..and there's no wrong answer. DD likes Red Stag with cigars? Fantastic. Enjoy them both! The folks who turn up their nose at your choice of beverage are doing it wrong, and annoy me to no end.

And yes, we make a Cherry Bourbon made with Michigan Montmorency Cherries. It's a tough find outside of CO, however. But if you're really interested, send a PM, and I'll get you a bottle.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Well, i live in Pennsylvania, so we have to contend with this draconian State Store system...i have looked, and i don't believe we can get Leopold Bros. products here.

Really, i guess what i'm asking is...i have always been a little confused about the various whiskeys out there...what makes them different and why. Is it just what they're made of, what's added to them, how long they "sit", etc. Wow, really showing my ignorance here. Not sure i'd want to get "a bottle" of several to try them...i'd have them sitting around for months if not longer...the little airplane bottles i see at the State Store could be a "tasting" option, i guess, or maybe pints bottles?

Flying into Edinburgh and staying at a castle (!) that is northwest of there for a week. Playing golf at several courses in what looks like the northeast portion of Scotland, Highlands area east of Speyside. We're in the lottery to get on the Old Course. Already have one distillery tour on the schedule.

I imagine there may be a few other things to sample by way of drinks in Scotland...really looking forward to it...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
frmanfan

Post by frmanfan »

It is personal. I like a good, peaty single malt, others can't stand the peat. (Lax Fi, thanks for pointing this typo out.)

On a side note - I intend on going to Scotland, dates/years TBD, to check out the old homeland (on both sides, lots of Scots). Which is a better place to start, Edinburgh or Glasgow?
Last edited by frmanfan on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A cold beer and a warm woman is all I need to keep me happy. Sometimes a cold beer is enough...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

What's funny, well, not that funny. I was attending a wedding where they had Jack Daniels, and Johnny Walker. I was drinking Jack on the rocks...not a big Jack fan but wanted Whiskey. They ran out and I switched to Johnny Walker......holy-moly was that a shock to the taste buds, I almost spit it out. But as any good spirit drinker will do, you suck it up and make the best of it. I then cleansed the pallet with a few sips of black coffee and sip of water and started over again.....BAM the Scotch settled in nicely and no longer tasted like I wiped my mouth after planting flowers.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Anyone??

American bourbon (it doesn’t have to be from Kentucky) is made from corn (at least 51%) and is aged in new oak barrels and charred. That pyrolysis brings out the vanillin and eugenol (think cloves) spice aspect from the oak pores. Like beer, American whiskey has become adventurous with all kinds of flavoring and barrel ageing.

Whereas your single malt scotch is made from barley. They use peat to smoke the barley which is why scotch has a distinctively smoky character. The water and peat is different in the different regions (Highland, Campbelltown, Speyside, Islay) Islay is noted for being the most smoky. Scotch can pretty much be aged in anything, but previously used Port, Sherry, Madeira casks are common. Lastly, there is no E in scotch whisky.

If you get to any distilleries you’ll have a good time and will learn quite a bit. You may also want to plan a trip to Bardstown, KY. The heart of the bourbon trail and a really nice village. Been there three times now and I’m not much of a whiskey drinker.

https://vinepair.com/explore/category-type/scotch/
Lax Fidelis

Post by Lax Fidelis »

frmanfan wrote:It is personal. I like a good, peaty single malt, others can stand the peat.

On a side note - I intend on going to Scotland, dates/years TBD, to check out the old homeland (on both sides, lots of Scots). Which is a better place to start, Edinburgh or Glasgow?
I am guessing you meant to write "others can't stand the peat"?

Gordon and MacPhail of Elgin, Scotland bottle a wonderful single malt from Highland Park Distillery on Orkney. Aces all the way.

A friend/fraternity brother of 55 years who spends a couple months a year in Scotland recommends this firm's whiskys: https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/b/40/ ... tch-whisky A few years ago, he toured the facility and got to talking with the head distiller who ended up giving my friend a special bottle of whisky drawn from several different barrels, Chris said it was off the charts.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Curious, why is Scotch much more pricey as compared to Bourbon. Is it because it takes longer than bourbon to get to the sweet spot for bottling? and because it takes longer, more of the product has evaporated?
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

youthathletics wrote:Curious, why is Scotch much more pricey as compared to Bourbon. Is it because it takes longer than bourbon to get to the sweet spot for bottling? and because it takes longer, more of the product has evaporated?
I think it is because "they can".

Although there are some ridiculously expensive Bourbons out there (Old RIp Van WInkle and Old Fitzgerald at several thousand a bottle come to mind). afan can add far more to this discussion than I, but my understanding is that high-end bourbons have become very popular in the Asian markets which has pushed the prices up at the top end of the market - same thing that happened to scotch.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

question for afan - are there any merits (or the opposite) to a 100% corn based bourbon?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

HooDat wrote:question for afan - are there any merits (or the opposite) to a 100% corn based bourbon?
Just different taste, fan can go into the details.

Reservoir Distrillery has a 100% corn bourbon - based out of Richmond, VA and I believe one of the guys there is a lacrosse guy. http://www.reservoirdistillery.com/our- ... 9f3a5b32b6

Hudston Baby Bourbon is also a 100% corn bourbon - http://www.tuthilltown.com/tuthilltown- ... y-bourbon/

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”