movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
Brooklyn

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by Brooklyn »

IMDb rated it 8.2

Dirty Rotten Tomatoes rated it a 10

No question that it rates a 10. One of the best of all time. Where do you even begin to discuss this classic? There is so much that one can say about it. From wiki:

"At the 21st Academy Awards, The Treasure of The Sierra Madre received four nominations, and won three awards: Best Supporting Actor for Walter Huston, and Best Director and Best Writing, Screenplay for John Huston, his only Oscars. There has been controversy since the 1949 ceremony because of the academy's choice not to nominate Bogart for the Academy Award for Best Actor, a choice that modern critics and Academy members have since condemned. Bogart's performance has been named the best of his career. British actor Daniel Day-Lewis said that his second Oscar-winning performance as vicious oil baron Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood was heavily inspired by Bogart's portrayal of Fred C. Dobbs ... The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre is now considered to be among the best films of all time, with some critics calling it Huston's magnum opus."

Note that in the past I used the old 1 to 5 star rating. Switched to the 1 to 10 scale when I joined up with IMDb.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:14 am IMDb rated it 8.2
Dirty Rotten Tomatoes rated it a 10
No question that it rates a 10... The Treasure of The Sierra Madre...
Rotten Tomatoes, which I like, has their critics giving a 100% while audiences giving it a 93%. I want a film that I can appreciate as well as enjoy. With Rotten Toms, I find that the critics' score correlates to my appreciating the film while the audiences' score correlates to my enjoying the film.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Best films of 2022. I normally do 1 through 10 but in 2022, no films stood above the rest.

Caddy Day
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

African Queen

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81s ... SY445_.jpg

Not just a great movie with awesome scenery, plot, and script. But with an amazing chemistry between two of the greatest stars in Hollywood history. I am utterly astounded at how well Bogie & Hep worked together. This was the only Oscar Bogie won during his fabulous career. Director/writer John Huston's work was masterful. The movie starts out as a dramatic adventure. Despite the many tragedies in the plot it eventually evolves into a romance comedy! All those elements rolled up into one.

Rotten Tomatoes gave it a well deserved 9.6.

Some background reading which I think you'll like: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 0is%20true.

Hadn't heard of this story before but it does add to my enjoyment of this outstanding movie.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:10 am Best films of 2022. I normally do 1 through 10 but in 2022, no films stood above the rest.

https://scontent-iad3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=63CDB592

As always I'm way behind everyone in the dust. How would you rate "The Outfit" which was also released last year?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_outfit_2022
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14114802/

ratings were favorable - good setting, acting esp by Mark Rylance as the tailor

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Act of Violence - 1948

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... olence.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041088/
Rotten Tomatoes = 9.2 rating

Another gripping film noir re war veterans dealing with life's many difficulties in the post war era. Superb cast and great dark setting in LA where so many film noirs took place. Sadly, the movie bombed at the box office. Reviews, however, were good.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:07 pmHow would you rate "The Outfit" which was also released last year?
Watched it on Amazon and... It's good. Interesting, more than just any other Amazon movie. It's good.
Caddy Day
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Boys Town

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... s_town.jpg

Boys Town was a box office success, becoming the highest-grossing film of 1938 and earning MGM over $2 million in profit.[4] According to MGM records, the film earned $2,828,000 in the United States and Canada, and $1,230,000 elsewhere, resulting in a profit of $2,112,000.[1] ~ wiki

IMDb = 7.2
DRT = 9.0
Amazon = 9.0

I well remember in my youth (that was a long time ago, of course) it was considered one of Hollywood's greatest flicks.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

"Hand In Hand" Image

"Bright Victory" Image

Both dealing with prejudices harbored by people in those days and today.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Image The Clock

9.5 to 10 by consensus

Image The Great Lie

7.3 IMDb though deserving more of an 8 as it had really great acting

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051201/

rates at least a 9 - suspenseful and superbly well acted

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Carry On was a British movie series that was popular in the UK back in the day. Not quite so in the States, sad to say. Watched three of them:

Carry On Regardless
Carry On Cruising
Carry On Cabby

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ration.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carry_On_(franchise)

This last note from wiki is disturbing: "The cast were poorly paid—around £5,000 per film for a principal performer.[9] In his diaries Kenneth Williams lamented this, and criticised several of the movies despite his declared fondness for the series as a whole.[10] Peter Rogers, the series' producer, acknowledged: "Kenneth was worth taking care of, because while he cost very little [...] he made a very great deal of money for the franchise."[9]"

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Fargo

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.AqFHLyjCl ... =5&pid=1.7

Yaaa, you betcha. Nice to hear some of that old Minnesotan Iron Range accent which is sadly under great decline here in Lake Wobegone. Highly regarded movie. Got mostly 8s and 9s ratings. A bit violent for a dark comedy but well directed.

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Excellent as always. Re-watched it.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? 1957

https://vhscollector.com/sites/default/ ... 9%2520.jpg

Gem of a comedy. People can write dozens of pages of favorable reviews. But all you need are two words: Jayne Mansfield. 🥰

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Went to one of the local theaters last night to see this film on the big screen. It was fantastic once again.
CE448950-AC01-4652-B9F7-B0593D956812.jpeg
CE448950-AC01-4652-B9F7-B0593D956812.jpeg (118.33 KiB) Viewed 752 times
Typical Lax Dad

FANTASTIC
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:07 pm Image

FANTASTIC
No offense, but I disagree (and I'm in the minority). I tried watching it about 4 times so far. The longest I lasted was 30 minutes. I thought it was an incomprehensible and pointless mish mash. I am a movie buff and I just thought it was terrible. And that was not because I am in my 60s. My Milennial son (and my wife) agreed. We all looked at each other after about 20 minutes and asked if anyone liked it or knew what was going on and we all stated we hated it and had no idea what was happening. We turned it off. I tried watching it a few more times and quit each time.
Typical Lax Dad

Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:59 pm

FANTASTIC
No offense, but I disagree (and I'm in the minority). I tried watching it about 4 times so far. The longest I lasted was 30 minutes. I thought it was an incomprehensible and pointless mish mash. I am a movie buff and I just thought it was terrible. And that was not because I am in my 60s. My Milennial son (and my wife) agreed. We all looked at each other after about 20 minutes and asked if anyone liked it or knew what was going on and we all stated we hated it and had no idea what was happening. We turned it off. I tried watching it a few more times and quit each time.
Watch it again in about 6 months.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:15 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:59 pm

FANTASTIC
Watch it again in about 6 months.
Nope. I'm done. There's plenty to watch that I enjoy. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”