movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
Brooklyn

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by Brooklyn »

The Godfather

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can there ever be any doubt that this is a 5 Star gem?
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5 ... @._V1_.jpg

Somewhere between 4½ and a 5. Perhaps a 4¾.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Saw a pretty good movie the other night from last year on Showtime (on demand) called Sword of Trust. No major actors, started by this guy Marc Meron and the girl who’s dad is the bad guy in 22 Jump Street. Low key with some funny soft moments.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:41 am Saw a pretty good movie the other night from last year on Showtime (on demand) called Sword of Trust. No major actors, started by this guy Marc Meron and the girl who’s dad is the bad guy in 22 Jump Street. Low key with some funny soft moments.
Looks like a nice 'chill' movie, just watched the trailer...

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Exactly, just easy breezy but good enough to stay tuned in and not check out and feel solid after the 1.5hrs or whatever it was
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Watched a new age movie last night. Harry Potter is in it. Not for everyone but it was a solid hour and a half of entertainment. On Amazon Prime and called Guns Akimbo. Fast paced, lot of shooting/killing in a surreal kind of way but fitting for modern society. Has some jokes and an intentional B quality to it but entertaining without having to discuss over wine with your sophisticated friends and try to make increasingly trivial points in one upsmanship.

Also watched Seven Psychopaths again this week. Like the 20th time and I still love it. McDonough is the modern Beckett. The more forward ending Walken suggests for the story gets me every time.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:47 am Watched a new age movie last night. Harry Potter is in it. Not for everyone but it was a solid hour and a half of entertainment. On Amazon Prime and called Guns Akimbo. Fast paced, lot of shooting/killing in a surreal kind of way but fitting for modern society. Has some jokes and an intentional B quality to it but entertaining without having to discuss over wine with your sophisticated friends and try to make increasingly trivial points in one upsmanship.

Also watched Seven Psychopaths again this week. Like the 20th time and I still love it. McDonough is the modern Beckett. The more forward ending Walken suggests for the story gets me every time.
I need to put that on my list. I wanted to see it but forgot about it.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It's very good. A little different than In Bruges (same director), but I love it.
See Martin, Malcolm
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY445_.jpg

It Happened On Fifth Avenue

1947 Christmas movie which has been forgotten though well liked in its time. Rated 4 star in its day. Poor little rich boy/girl theme that was popular in the old days but have fallen into disfavor in the modern Reaganite era. All star cast added much to it.

JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Braven (2018) With Jason Momoa was a solid action thriller, set up in Newfoundland.

Not a major cast, but still entertaining enough...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braven

Joe
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:16 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:47 am Watched a new age movie last night. Harry Potter is in it. Not for everyone but it was a solid hour and a half of entertainment. On Amazon Prime and called Guns Akimbo. Fast paced, lot of shooting/killing in a surreal kind of way but fitting for modern society. Has some jokes and an intentional B quality to it but entertaining without having to discuss over wine with your sophisticated friends and try to make increasingly trivial points in one upsmanship.

Did you get to this yet TLD? I think you’ll enjoy it if you still haven’t.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:56 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:16 pm

Did you get to this yet TLD? I think you’ll enjoy it if you still haven’t.
It’s on my list!

FILM
The Old Guard
Fatal Affair
Seven Psychopaths
Kim’s Convenience
Eve’s Bayou
Shadow Netflix
Seven Psychopaths
Stranger on The Third Floor (x)
Scarlet Street
Elevator to The Gallows
Doctor Sleep
Marcella (Netflix)
Fauda (Netflix)
River (Netflix)
AO (Netflix)
Money Heist - la casa del paper (x)
The Wandering Earth (Netflix)
Baltimore - PBS
Restrepo
Come and See - War Movie
Invisible Guest (x)
Hereditary
Midnight in Paris
Everyone Must Know This
Battle of Algiers(x)
Ace In The Hole (x)
Green leaf
XX
Life (x)
Peaking Blinders
Birth of a dragon
Come and See
The Ipcress File
Downfall
Stalingrad
Krisha
The Witch (x)
It Comes at Night (x)
The Counselor
The Lobster
The Conversation
Time Crimes
Attack the Block
Alphaville
Ex Machina (x)
Arrival (x)
Mario Torrey-Comedian
Three Sovereigns of Sarah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Long list, I’ve only seen 3-4 of those. IMO, you could move Doctor Sleep and Ex Machina down the list. The latter was overrated IMO but good cast, Dr Sleep is just weird. In some ways Ex Machina is just a rehashing of blade to runner w/o the violence and is more impactful if you’ve paid absolutely zero attention to AI in the last decade which I suspect isn’t the case.

Got mixed, at best, reviews but I actually liked the Counselor a lot. I liked Old Guard as well.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Saw this movie last week. The female lead plays one of the all time great characters. Very very low budget. It is a must see for film noir buffs.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

cam @CDWritten
23h
I will never understand Martin Scorsese's gangster films as being so weirdly morally complex that it baffles so many viewers. I don't know how the end beat of GOODFELLAS or THE IRISHMAN - showing men isolated, alone, unhappy, with ruined lives - doesn't nail down the point.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

"Into the Wild" I did not realize it was based on a true story, entertaining.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Gross Misconduct: The Life of Brian Spencer (1993)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107047/

The very troubled life of Brian "Spinner" Spencer of the NY Islanders & other NHL teams. Very sad story.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Tramontana {2009}

It has gotten over 12 million views on youtube although I cannot honestly understand why. Not sure that the three star rating it got was deserved although the acting and setting were quite good.

The word tramontana is a Spanish/Mediterranean word for a strong wind that is accelerated as it goes among the high Alpine regions of Europe and whose symbolism suggests great tension. This story of unfulfilled love and life can be rather convoluted at times and kinda reminds you of 'Rashomon' and of 'Lolita'. Hovering over much of the film was the ghost of damnable fascist dictator Franco. Seems as if his evil shadow caused death and degeneracy after his death which, unfortunately, did not come soon enough.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Worth mentioning in a Clark Howard kind of way.

Rented the Informant the other day in Prime (any digital outlet I guess). Has a good cast but let’s just say I want my f’ng money and two hours back!

On the same level, HBO has this new movie called The Little Things-at Best a hungover Sunday on the couch movie. The Israeli guy who played Freddie Mercury truly sucks as a thespian. Range is narrower than my 14yr old Lhasa Apso who basically always looks either sad or hungry. Did he get credit as an actor for having a major overbite, because I don’t see anything else there.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”