Typical Lax Dad

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:15 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:07 pm Image

FANTASTIC
No offense, but I disagree (and I'm in the minority). I tried watching it about 4 times so far. The longest I lasted was 30 minutes. I thought it was an incomprehensible and pointless mish mash. I am a movie buff and I just thought it was terrible. And that was not because I am in my 60s. My Milennial son (and my wife) agreed. We all looked at each other after about 20 minutes and asked if anyone liked it or knew what was going on and we all stated we hated it and had no idea what was happening. We turned it off. I tried watching it a few more times and quit each time.
Watch it again in about 6 months.
Nope. I'm done. There's plenty to watch that I enjoy. Thanks for the suggestion though.
It’s not for everyone. I loved it. Didn’t find it hard to follow but I saw the Spiderman into the Multiverse animated film. I want to see All Quiet on The Western Front and Tar.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:48 pm

FANTASTIC
No offense, but I disagree (and I'm in the minority). I tried watching it about 4 times so far. The longest I lasted was 30 minutes. I thought it was an incomprehensible and pointless mish mash. I am a movie buff and I just thought it was terrible. And that was not because I am in my 60s. My Milennial son (and my wife) agreed. We all looked at each other after about 20 minutes and asked if anyone liked it or knew what was going on and we all stated we hated it and had no idea what was happening. We turned it off. I tried watching it a few more times and quit each time.
Nope. I'm done. There's plenty to watch that I enjoy. Thanks for the suggestion though.
It’s not for everyone. I loved it. Didn’t find it hard to follow but I saw the Spiderman into the Multiverse animated film. I want to see All Quiet on The Western Front and Tar.
Not a Matrix/mutliverse fan or a Marvel/comic book/superhero movie fan. And I don't care for the martial arts genre either. So that is strike three for me on this type of movie. I like a more traditional movie. I also hated the Birdman movie with Michael Keaton that won in 2014. I thought that was an incomprehensible mess as well. I thought Tar was great. The Fablemans was good. Elvis was just OK, but Tom Hanks was cringeworthy bad. Banshees was a boring pointless movies IMO. Maverick was a good action movie, but it's not best picture worthy and I wouldn't watch it again. I have not see All Quiet, but I read that it was so-so and left out some of the major themes of prior iterations. I haven't seen Avatar yet, but I loved the original.
Typical Lax Dad

Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:53 pm

FANTASTIC
Not a Matrix/mutliverse fan or a Marvel/comic book/superhero movie fan. And I don't care for the martial arts genre either. So that is strike three for me on this type of movie. I like a more traditional movie. I also hated the Birdman movie with Michael Keaton that won in 2014. I thought that was an incomprehensible mess as well. I thought Tar was great. The Fablemans was good. Elvis was just OK, but Tom Hanks was cringeworthy bad. Banshees was a boring pointless movies IMO. Maverick was a good action movie, but it's not best picture worthy and I wouldn't watch it again. I have not see All Quiet, but I read that it was so-so and left out some of the major themes of prior iterations. I haven't seen Avatar yet, but I loved the original.
Not your cup of tea. I didn’t see Elvis but heard it was good. I didn’t see Birdman. I did like Joker from a few years ago. Not a big Marvel fan but will watch if on TV sometimes as I was a big comic book guy growing up. Want to see Maverick but didn’t imagine it to be best picture worthy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:53 pm

FANTASTIC
Have you watched Last Black Man in San Francisco? Not traditional but heck of a movie.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... poster.jpg

Generally highly regarded in its day. Was a massive big hit at the box office. Sadly, today it has fallen in popularity with the current generation. It got only a 6.5 in IMDb and 33% in Rotten Tomatoes. To me it is and will always be a 10 in every way. Sensational casting, setting, costuming, the women were beautiful beyond all manner of imagination - none of today's Hollywood's starlets would begin to compare with those beauties. Very striking dialog and plot. This is what Hollywood should always be about. Of course it was based on a book by sensational writer Harold Robbins. Today's puny writers can hardly match up to anything he wrote. So sad that today's generation just doesn't know what real entertainment is all about.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

From about a week ago

The indie studio poised for gold at the Oscars
Two billion-dollar blockbusters are in the running for best picture at tomorrow’s Academy Awards — “Avatar: The Way of Water” and “Top Gun: Maverick” — but the favorite for the award is the comparative commercial minnow “Everything Everywhere All at Once.”

And nearly as likely to win the unofficial award for studio of the year is the one behind “Everything Everywhere,” A24, which could outdo the likes of Disney and Netflix in racking up Oscars. A big night would cement the indie darling’s status as Hollywood’s top arbiter of cool — and award-winning — movies.

It has been a decade in the making. Founded in 2012 and named after an Italian highway, A24 had the same ambitions as predecessors like Miramax: Produce critically lauded hits. But it has eschewed traditional marketing models in favor of social media-driven virality, with a slate of films that tended toward genres like horror or were made by up-and-coming directors. A24 has also maintained an aura of secrecy and quirkiness, which has helped stoke a fiercely loyal following.

The studio’s bet has paid off handsomely. It has put out a stable that includes prize-winners like “Moonlight,” “Room” and “Ex Machina” and buzzy titles like “Midsommar,” “Spring Breakers” and “The Lighthouse.” (The one hitch: None has ever grossed even $108 million.) This year has been its best showing yet, with “Everything Everywhere” predicted to win many of the 11 awards for which the film has been nominated and other movies, including “Aftersun” and “The Whale,” also contenders for Oscar gold.

Less known is A24’s well-heeled backing. Behind its hipster trappings has always been some serious money. Daniel Katz, one of the founders, was head of film finance at the investment firm Guggenheim Partners, which provided seed money. A longtime backer is Eldridge, the conglomerate run by the billionaire Todd Boehly. And last year, the company raised $225 million at a $2.5 billion valuation, led by the investment firm Stripes and the asset manager Neuberger Berman.

Where does A24 go from here? The studio has been a frequent focus of sales talks. Tech giants like Apple and Amazon have been floated as potential buyers, as well as financial players like Blackstone.

The rub is what possible suitors think about spending on a studio whose movies have never been financial home runs, in an age of increasingly tight budgets. But one thing works in A24’s favor: For many cinephiles, there are movies — and then there are A24 movies.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Eagle Has Landed

Based on the excellent novel by Jack Higgins.

6.9 on IMDb ~ deserves much higher rating but today's generation did not grow up with espionage as major headlines every day like we did in the past. Superb cast and acting.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Prestige (2006)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prestige_(film)

A tremendous hit at the box office but one with a highly complex plot line and conclusion. Wasn't sure I understood the ending so I looked up some online commentary which clarified it for me. ''The Prestige was released on October 20, 2006, to positive reviews and grossed $109 million worldwide against a production budget of $40 million. It received Academy Award nominations for Best Art Direction and Best Cinematography.''

One of its greatest merits being Director Nolan's casting of David Bowie as Tesla:

8.5 on IMDb
7 stars on most other scales

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Just saw "Air". It's excellent.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Suit Yourself or Shoot Yourself!! The Escape

https://letterboxd.com/film/suit-yourse ... he-escape/

Terribly violent for a comedy. I can see why it is not more popular in the USA. Frankly, I cannot see how some regard it as a six star feature.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:52 pm Suit Yourself or Shoot Yourself!! The Escape

https://letterboxd.com/film/suit-yourse ... he-escape/

Terribly violent for a comedy. I can see why it is not more popular in the USA. Frankly, I cannot see how some regard it as a six star feature.
Why are you now pro-gun?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:58 pm
Why are you now pro-gun?

Been a past member of the NRA as I've mentioned before. But here, it's that I didn't particularly find the movie all that amusing and some of the violence was graphic. Worse still was that it had a meaningless plot and conclusion.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:09 pm Image

The Prestige (2006)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prestige_(film)

A tremendous hit at the box office but one with a highly complex plot line and conclusion. Wasn't sure I understood the ending so I looked up some online commentary which clarified it for me. ''The Prestige was released on October 20, 2006, to positive reviews and grossed $109 million worldwide against a production budget of $40 million. It received Academy Award nominations for Best Art Direction and Best Cinematography.''

One of its greatest merits being Director Nolan's casting of David Bowie as Tesla:

8.5 on IMDb
7 stars on most other scales
One of my favorite films!! It was excellent....
Typical Lax Dad

FANTASTIC.....No good guys in this movie....
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:28 pm

I thought casting David Bowie as Tesla was a tremendous coup. What did you think about this ?

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:28 pm

I thought casting David Bowie as Tesla was a tremendous coup. What did you think about this ?
It is as consistent with the high quality of the film. Loved it. The ending took me a while to figure out also. My favorite Chris Nolan film.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

John Wick 4 was excellent. Saw it last night. Incredibly fluid action sequences. A bit long at 2 Hours and 49 minutes, but to be expected. Keanu shines as always!

Joe
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:35 pm John Wick 4 was excellent. Saw it last night. Incredibly fluid action sequences. A bit long at 2 Hours and 49 minutes, but to be expected. Keanu shines as always!

Joe
Just got around to seeing this. Entertaining, but I didn’t think it was as good as any of the first three. It might have been the length.

I’m looking forward to the Ana de Armas spin-off.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ilm%29.jpg

10 Stars

Acknowledged as one of the greatest movies of all time. Certainly among my top ten. Cinematic perfection.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”