movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
johnnyonthegunpowder

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

old salt wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:29 pm
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:15 pm
tech37 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:50 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:40 pm I think The Eggers Brothers thought, There are two, so-to-speak, lost men who live in a lighthouse (lighthouse, get it, lighthouse) who are discussing sea myths and fables and... We can't miss! And there's a truth to this but... It doesn't work when the themes are forced. And it feels forced. I bet if they had a better writer rewrite the screenplay, it would've gotten real Oscar consideration. It's a good film. It's just that one piece...
Interesting...I thought it was mostly about the Pattinson character's descent into madness. Perhaps I need to watch it again ;)
Interesting, I'll have to check this out. I'll watch anything with Dafoe. "The Hunter" was a good one set in Tasmania a while back.
Flight of the Intruder was the best, most authentic, modern Naval Aviation movie. Better than Top Gun.

Clear & Present Danger is the 2nd best Clancy movie (after Red October)

but my favorite Dafoe -- To Live & Die in LA
I'll have to check out To Live and Die in LA, it sounds right up my alley. My wife mocks me for wanting to see Top Gun II, but I'm really looking forward to it.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Parasite winning so many Big Awards at the Oscars made zero sense (based on the film, based on politics and making a political statement, it makes more sense... but film awards should be about art, not politics).
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:25 am Parasite winning so many Big Awards at the Oscars made zero sense (based on the film, based on politics and making a political statement, it makes more sense... but film awards should be about art, not politics).
Did you see it?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

i did.
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:18 pmi did.
I have not seen it yet but I like Korean films. Did you like it? Did you see I Saw The Devil or Old Boy?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Didn't see the other 2 and don't have an opinion on Korean films as I've seen so few (i think this is my 2nd or 3rd) and... i do not see why so many are seeing this film as such a great film.
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:34 pm Didn't see the other 2 and don't have an opinion on Korean films as I've seen so few (i think this is my 2nd or 3rd) and... i do not see why so many are seeing this film as such a great film.
Ok. I plan on seeing it. Old Boy is a masterpiece. Spike Lee’s remake was god awful. I Saw The Devil is very good. Revenge film. One of the best.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Would love to see a movie about Robert Smalls: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8y9olIljqz/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Was with my nostalgia movie pals last night as we watched this gem and had a long chat about it. One of the subjects we discussed (and one frequently discussed online) is whether Sigourney Weaver had a (shall we say) surgical enhancement:

Funny and entertaining movie.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:35 am Image

Was with my nostalgia movie pals last night as we watched this gem and had a long chat about it. One of the subjects we discussed (and one frequently discussed online) is whether Sigourney Weaver had a (shall we say) surgical enhancement:

Funny and entertaining movie.
Yes..... did you see her in Alien

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Yes..... did you see her in Alien

GQ was made 20 years after Alien. Somehow, the lines on her forehead disappeared and she looks several years younger! {Ahem} Somewhere along the line she had to have had some surgical improvements though I'm sure I couldn't be more specific. :geek:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 pm
Thought you might enjoy this: https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmaster ... w.facebook

He has one quote (5:35) when he was playing with dizz and bird " Greatest feeling I ever had, in my life, with my clothes on". I may have to steal that one
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:26 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 pm
Thought you might enjoy this: https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmaster ... w.facebook

He has one quote (5:35) when he was playing with dizz and bird " Greatest feeling I ever had, in my life, with my clothes on". I may have to steal that one
I saw some of it. It’s in my DVR. Thanks for the heads up.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marked_Woman

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029217/me ... 1181587456

3.5 to 4 Star rating

It is said that this was the beginning of Bette Davis's career success. I also liked how Humphrey Bogart delivered his lines in the court room in which he sounded like an intellectual rather than the rough neck he usually portrayed. The women in the movie were extraordinarily beautiful. The dialog remains as relevant today as ever. Directors Bacon & Curtiz ended it with a very poignant and aesthetic scene but I rather not mention my interpretation of it as that may possibly give away the plot.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:42 am Did not realize until last night that the Al Pacino Scarface was a "remake"... The original was excellent!

Excellent movie! Defo ✱ ✱ ✱ ✱.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:33 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:42 am Did not realize until last night that the Al Pacino Scarface was a "remake"... The original was excellent!

Excellent movie! Defo ✱ ✱ ✱ ✱.
It was great! It was so similar to the Pacino version that I was shocked I had not seen it or heard much about it.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Black Mass ~ 3.5 Stars

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1355683/

The true story of Whitey Bulger, the brother of a state senator and the most infamous violent criminal in the history of South Boston, who became an FBI informant to take down a Mafia family invading his turf ... Great performance by Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulger. A bit flawed (lacks enough genuine Southie in the dialog) but entertaining none the less.

Interesting analysis and commentary: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/black-mass-2015

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For people that enjoyed The Big Lebowski, and more specifically the smaller character The Jesus (Nick Turturro), I just watched Nick Turturro directed The Jesus Rolls, which I guess was specifically made for direct to
Home video.

Couple of things.

1. Have to actually get Lebowski out of your head. It’s the story of the character from that movie, but that’s it.
2. Not sure if this I stated goal of Turturro but reading some reviews after watching (which were too in kind IMO), apparently it’s some level of a remake or homage to a 70s flick called Going Places (which I’ve never seen).
3. I love Lebowski and especially The Jesus so have a bias going in.

It’s cool. Different. Will not be for everyone but for those that like Turturro (and he has a lot of real actors I guess he dialed up to do his project, I think Susan Sarandon May be my first GGILF) and like a certain type of more whimsical, irreverent types of stuff it’ll be a bit. I’d guess some won’t be able to get Lebowski out of their mind leaving them disappointed. It’s like $8 on Uverse on demand and 6.99 on Prime I believe.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Silver Linings Playbook (Netflix) is excellent.
Caddy Day
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Departed - 2006

Martin Scorsese directs an all-star cast in this action-packed thriller set in Boston, where a long-simmering hostility between the police department and an Irish-American gang led by Costello (Academy Award winner Jack Nicholson--About Schmidt, Something's Gotta Give) is primed to explode. The fuse is lit when a gangster (Matt Damon--The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy) is chosen to infiltrate the police force--and a young cop (Leonardo DiCaprio--The Aviator, Titanic) goes undercover within the gang. Now, when the two moles uncover each other's identity, the battle begins.​

Movie was a bit long and perhaps a bit too bloody. Still, it was a great presentation and rates a solid ✱ ✱ ✱ ✱

Scorsese put a subtle "X" in the frame whenever anyone was killed onscreen as an homage to the 1932 version of "Scarface," which is one of his favorite films and first employed the X factor.

https://www.thewrap.com/10-things-you-d ... -departed/

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”