movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
Matnum PI

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by Matnum PI »

i assume infuriating due to the subject matter?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ToastDunk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:00 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:17 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:54 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:30 pm I finally saw Spotlight. It was fantastic.

Definitely a FOUR star rating or possibly even better.
It was excellent
Agree with you both. AND it's infuriating!
Absolutely infuriating. One of my son’s College teammates took a year off to do volunteer work in Africa after graduating. He was building homes and establishing water wells in a very poor village. He was scheduled to be there for 1 year but his program ended 3 months early when it was discovered a priest was molesting kids in this place nobody would ever hear of.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

In the 70s and 80s, most every private school (and public though this is less documented for some reason), had cases of child sexual abuse. With this said, the numbers within the Catholic church were enormous. and, they were all happening under one (very large) roof. I remember in the 70s that NAMBLA was relatively normalized. It was a very different time. Still horrible but... It was a different time in that we knew it was horrible and yet, somehow, it was relatively normalized, ignored. As spoken to in the movie, for some reason, this horrible crime was continually, repeatedly buried. Far from the first crimes to be minimized and far from the last. This seems like a human phenomena, something we do generation after generation.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

In the 70s and 80s, most every private school (and public though this is less documented for some reason), had cases of child sexual abuse. With this said, the numbers within the Catholic church were enormous. and, they were all happening under one (very large) roof. I remember in the 70s that NAMBLA was relatively normalized. It was a very different time. Still horrible but... It was a different time in that we knew it was horrible and yet, somehow, it was relatively normalized, ignored. As spoken to in the movie, for some reason, this horrible crime was continually, repeatedly buried. Far from the first crimes to be minimized and far from the last. This seems like a human phenomena, something we do generation after generation.
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:52 am In the 70s and 80s, most every private school (and public though this is less documented for some reason), had cases of child sexual abuse. With this said, the numbers within the Catholic church were enormous. and, they were all happening under one (very large) roof. I remember in the 70s that NAMBLA was relatively normalized. It was a very different time. Still horrible but... It was a different time in that we knew it was horrible and yet, somehow, it was relatively normalized, ignored. As spoken to in the movie, for some reason, this horrible crime was continually, repeatedly buried. Far from the first crimes to be minimized and far from the last. This seems like a human phenomena, something we do generation after generation.
I remember being home from college and watching the local news....story came up about a teacher being arrested for sexual assault. It turned out to be my 7th grade basketball coach. We had known all along that he liked boys. We hand never seen anything but just something you could sense. I remember a friend getting a cramp during recess and the coach had him on his stomach rubbing his leg. It didn’t look right and we, as 7th grade boys normally would do, laughed.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Same at most every school. everyone "knew" and no one spoke up.
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 am Same at most every school. everyone "knew" and no one spoke up.
Yes. We were kids....the adults had to know. We just knew something was off as adolescent boys. A guy I worked with from LI went to a catholic middle school and one of the priest would make the boys “sit on his lap and press down on him” to get there anger out. He said the smart guys kept their distance. My 7th grade school was just a run of the mill public school.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The moviestv network presented an Orson Welles marathon and I watched:

Interestingly, while neither movie was well regarded in the USA when initially released, they got a better reception in Europe. Today, critics have looked back on both and have given them a better rating than they did back then. The critics now praise them for their innovative and influential scenes. Welles had a role in directing portions of both. His movies fall under the category of "film noir", a directorial technique that adds so much poignancy to a movie plot/setting. But "Black Magic" had highly ornate costuming and scenery so that it would have been really interesting to see had it been in color.

Also watched The Stranger which I previously discussed on LP. Again, a gem that has gotten far better press than it did decades ago. Great cast, highly engrossing plot, superb acting. And then there was utterly beautiful and talented Loretta Young ~ was there ever a better actress in Hollywood history?
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:11 am The moviestv network presented an Orson Welles marathon and I watched:

Interestingly, while neither movie was well regarded in the USA when initially released, they got a better reception in Europe. Today, critics have looked back on both and have given them a better rating than they did back then. The critics now praise them for their innovative and influential scenes. Welles had a role in directing portions of both. His movies fall under the category of "film noir", a directorial technique that adds so much poignancy to a movie plot/setting. But "Black Magic" had highly ornate costuming and scenery so that it would have been really interesting to see had it been in color.

Also watched The Stranger which I previously discussed on LP. Again, a gem that has gotten far better press than it did decades ago. Great cast, highly engrossing plot, superb acting. And then there was utterly beautiful and talented Loretta Young ~ was there ever a better actress in Hollywood history?
The Lady from Shanghai is on my list! I liked The Stranger. It was very good.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Alright watched the town again last night (on a cable channel like TNT so edited).

There is simply no way Ben Affleck is dropping even a meth head Blake Lively for the girl from The Prestige (who is more appropriately dropped for Scarlett Johansson in that flick). Even for movie fantasy this is a bridge too far...
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:58 am Alright watched the town again last night (on a cable channel like TNT so edited).

There is simply no way Ben Affleck is dropping even a meth head Blake Lively for the girl from The Prestige (who is more appropriately dropped for Scarlett Johansson in that flick). Even for movie fantasy this is a bridge too far...
Both are two of my favorite films. Blake Lively was trashy hot in The Town. Did you see A Simple Favor yet? Blake Lively was just ridiculous. You must have run across her type in NYC. I know I did. Very good movie.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:11 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:58 am Alright watched the town again last night (on a cable channel like TNT so edited).

Both are two of my favorite films. Blake Lively was trashy hot in The Town. Did you see A Simple Favor yet? Blake Lively was just ridiculous. You must have run across her type in NYC. I know I did. Very good movie.
Sure, who doesn’t spend a solid year or two around Turtle Bay and the B&T crowd? It’s better than spending time at Sleaside Heights and Belmar in the northern Jersey Shore area or RISD/Johnson & Wales girls in Providence. Stories I and my friends will never tell I’m this life or after about sampling the true locals with little more game than a Manhattan apartment without roommates.

Still need to see A Simple Favor. I mean I’ve seen Savages probably 4-5 times just because of Ms Lively so should probably just hinge her whole IMDB.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:11 pm

Sure, who doesn’t spend a solid year or two around Turtle Bay and the B&T crowd? It’s better than spending time at Sleaside Heights and Belmar in the northern Jersey Shore area or RISD/Johnson & Wales girls in Providence. Stories I and my friends will never tell I’m this life or after about sampling the true locals with little more game than a Manhattan apartment without roommates.

Still need to see A Simple Favor. I mean I’ve seen Savages probably 4-5 times just because of Ms Lively so should probably just hinge her whole IMDB.
I have not seen Savages....It is on my list!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073279/me ... 1879250176

Lepke - 1975

Hair style and dialog needs to be more authentic. These dudes operated in my old neighborhood but none of the actors could reproduce the old accent we used in that district. Otherwise, I thought Tony Curtis did play his role rather well. But you would never know that Lepke was head of Murder, Inc and what the org was really known for.

scene:

I'd give it a possible 3 star.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Thurgood Marshall

Great movie, wished it had followed more than just one trial.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Social Dilemma on Netflix. Must watch.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Iceman - 2012

Slow paced and it was not a box office success though it did get ratings from 3 to 4 star. Absolutely superb acting by Michael Shannon as the hit man.

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Enola Holmes on Netfliix was a solid, entertaining watch, well done, and in the spirit of many Sherlock Holmes book/movies.
Good if you want an escape from the news or politics.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

No secret that this gem has always been rated 4 to 5 star. Great cast, background music, scenery, excellent directing, etc. Good fellas from the East New York section of Brooklyn ~ just like me!

Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:54 am Enola Holmes on Netfliix was a solid, entertaining watch, well done, and in the spirit of many Sherlock Holmes book/movies.
Good if you want an escape from the news or politics.
I plan on watching it. Did you see Knives Out? I want to see it. My son gave it a good review.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”