movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
tech37

movies worth mentioning

Post by tech37 »

Final Portrait

For art lovers (particularly modern)... Final Portrait is an intimate depiction of sculptor/painter Alberto Giacometti, played (amazingly) by Geoffrey Rush. The movie reveals Giacometti's sense of humor and genuine bohemian spirit. Despite his abundant commercial success, he is plagued by self-doubt, and unrequited love. Rush bears an uncanny resemblance to the artist and delivers a brilliant performance, IMHO.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote:Final Portrait

For art lovers (particularly modern)... Final Portrait is an intimate depiction of sculptor/painter Alberto Giacometti, played (amazingly) by Geoffrey Rush. The movie reveals Giacometti's sense of humor and genuine bohemian spirit. Despite his abundant commercial success, he is plagued by self-doubt, and unrequited love. Rush bears an uncanny resemblance to the artist and delivers a brilliant performance, IMHO.
I will look for it. Rush was good in Shine.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Rush was great in The King's Speech.

If you like him, another lesser known fine performance as the Marquis de Sade in Quills.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote:Rush was great in The King's Speech.

If you like him, another lesser known fine performance as the Marquis de Sade in Quills.
Did you see the “Girl With The Pearl Earring”? Not bad. Immortal Beloved was excellent.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Although it is probably shaded by my love of the film in general, Rush was terrific in Shakespeare in Love. Looking over his filmography, the guy has been in a TON of very interesting films...

"It's a mystery!" :D

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:

Did you see the “Girl With The Pearl Earring”? Not bad. Immortal Beloved was excellent.
Yes, saw both...
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:

Yes, saw both...
Vermeer is one of my favorite artist. I have a modern version of that portrait that my best friends’s father painted years ago.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

If you like Vermeer, you have to see Tim's Vermeer. Despite the criticism, it's an amazing documentary...

https://medium.com/@joshgans/10-reasons ... 83bb3ce7a2
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote:If you like Vermeer, you have to see Tim's Vermeer. Despite the criticism, it's an amazing documentary...

Thanks. I will look it up...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The Greatest Game Ever Played - great ole' fashioned wholesome movie. Painting a tale of the game in the very early 1900's and how a blue collar kid found his way into the jerk-off world of elitists. true story.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote:If you like Vermeer, you have to see Tim's Vermeer. Despite the criticism, it's an amazing documentary...

When I looked this up, I realized I had seen it. Good documentary.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214730/

Grass ~ a rather illuminating documentary.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Tim's Vermeer is out of this world. I will have to check out that Giocometti flick, 37, sounds good.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Local Hero. Peter Riegert and Burt Lancaster. Quirky, entertaining. Soundtrack features Mark Knofler of Dire Straits.
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Lost In Paris ~ husband + wife team of Dominique Abel & Fiona Gordon

It begins with what look like scenes filmed inside a snow globe, an apt metaphor for the films of husband-wife team Dominique Abel and Fiona Gordon. The couple (Gordon is Australian) write and direct comedies based on equal parts Tati and Wes Anderson (Rumba), in which bold primary colors and self-conscious framing remind audiences that the so-called real world awaits any filmmakers willing to bend it to their will. Lost in Paris is notable for being the last film of New Wave icon Emmanuelle Riva, best known to American audiences for Alain Resnais’ chic ontological shadowplay Hiroshima Mon Amour and to play the Alzheimer’s-ravaged wife in Michael Haneke’s 2012 Amour. Rather too delighted with itself, Lost in Paris is rare case of a take-or-leave-it experience; you’ll either respond to Abel and Gordon’s whimsy or you won’t.

Anchoring the film is Gordon, who has a goofball Olive Oyl presence and posture ...

Lost in Paris is not unusual in using plot as a clothesline on which to hang the scenarists’ most fanciful ideas. Sight gags abound ...

GRADE: B-

https://humanizingthevacuum.wordpress.c ... ght-place/
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

50 years ago this was shown as "Fast And Sexy" on NYC tv. I watched it in the original Italian and it remains as funny & entertaining as ever.

The Duchess of Brooklyn remains lovely to this day at 91 years young.

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody last week. Never bought Queen music, but acknowledge their legacy. Was reluctant to see it, but my better half adores Q. Went to a theater with reclining seats and great sound system. It was an excellent experience. Rami Malik as Freddie Mercury was superb and the the casted actors of the other band members was near perfect. Good story and lots of music. Highly recommended.

While Queen was never quite my cup of tea, their legacy of unusual hits, unique style and even two big sports stadium anthems cannot be forgotten. Back in the day I was invited to go to a concert at the Spectrum, but declined. I probably missed quite an unforgettable show.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

ardilla secreta wrote:Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody last week. Never bought Queen music, but acknowledge their legacy. Was reluctant to see it, but my better half adores Q. Went to a theater with reclining seats and great sound system. It was an excellent experience. Rami Malik as Freddie Mercury was superb and the the casted actors of the other band members was near perfect. Good story and lots of music. Highly recommended.

While Queen was never quite my cup of tea, their legacy of unusual hits, unique style and even two big sports stadium anthems cannot be forgotten. Back in the day I was invited to go to a concert at the Spectrum, but declined. I probably missed quite an unforgettable show.
I feel the same about Queen. But will definitely check out Bohemian Rhapsody!

Two shows where I got invited and thought about declining... but didn’t!

Springsteen at Giants Stadium in 1985 and Elton John at the Garden in 1984. Both are in my top 5! Incredible shows!
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

The Angel on Netflix Six Day War to 70s then 80s.
The parent, not the coach.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

"Free Solo" is really good.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”