WORDS

General Chatter
wahoomurf

WORDS

Post by wahoomurf »

I thought I saw the word INCEL in one of Bandito's posts. I hadn't clue about that neologism. According to the OED, it's short for involuntary celibacy and refers to an internet subculture of men who blame women for the fact that they are not having sex. :o ( A variation of nerdy yet horny men?).

Apologies to Bandito if he didn't use that word in any of his posts.

I'm as dumb as the floor. As such, I thought a WORDS thread might appeal to wordsmiths, the curious and dummies like me.
holmes435

Re: WORDS

Post by holmes435 »

I used it and it's a term they do call themselves. This is going to take a bit of your time to dig into some of this Trump related subculture, but it's well worth it and is extremely interesting stuff to observe.

Bandito posted a link to MagaPill, which is a play on "The Red Pill". Originally from the matrix scene where Morpheus offers Neo a red pill to learn the truth, or a blue pill to go back to sleep.

An online community formed a number of years ago under that title, "The Red Pill" regarding the roles of men and women in society. Here is a story about it from 2013 that explains it a lot better than I could - https://www.businessinsider.com/the-red ... dit-2013-8 - since then the community has been ratcheted up to 11.

Incels are heavily involved in The Red Pill community and looking for ways to break their "involuntary celibacy". Here is one post that is eye opening - https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/com ... o_you_can/

Here is a glossary of terms surrounding the subculture: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Manosphere_glossary

Red Pillers are also heavily into Trump, unsurprisingly. They're all loosely tied together, but the term itself has also crossed over into the mainstream and applies to a number of different truths.

Here are a few posts and articles surrounding The Red Pill, regarding society, women, political truths or all of the above.

How I took the red pill and got on the Trump train - Medium.com
Liberals sick of the alt-left are taking 'the red pill' - Fox News
“HE’S NEVER BEEN HAPPIER”: INSIDE THE RED-PILLING OF KANYE WEST - Vanity Fair
It’s great the Red Pill candidate won. His presence alone will make society more Red Pill over the next 4 to 8 years. - Reddit TheRedPill Post
Trump and the Red Pill - Ms. Magazine
John Stossel: Why so many are 'taking the red pill' (and discovering the truth about the mainstream media) - Fox News
How to Defend Yourself Like Trump: 11 Pro Strategies - Reddit TheRedPill Post
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

holmes435 wrote:I used it and it's a term they do call themselves. This is going to take a bit of your time to dig into some of this Trump related subculture, but it's well worth it and is extremely interesting stuff to observe.

Bandito posted a link to MagaPill, which is a play on "The Red Pill". Originally from the matrix scene where Morpheus offers Neo a red pill to learn the truth, or a blue pill to go back to sleep.

An online community formed a number of years ago under that title, "The Red Pill" regarding the roles of men and women in society. Here is a story about it from 2013 that explains it a lot better than I could - https://www.businessinsider.com/the-red ... dit-2013-8 - since then the community has been ratcheted up to 11.

Incels are heavily involved in The Red Pill community and looking for ways to break their "involuntary celibacy". Here is one post that is eye opening - https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/com ... o_you_can/

Here is a glossary of terms surrounding the subculture: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Manosphere_glossary

Red Pillers are also heavily into Trump, unsurprisingly. They're all loosely tied together, but the term itself has also crossed over into the mainstream and applies to a number of different truths.

Here are a few posts and articles surrounding The Red Pill, regarding society, women, political truths or all of the above.

How I took the red pill and got on the Trump train - Medium.com
Liberals sick of the alt-left are taking 'the red pill' - Fox News
“HE’S NEVER BEEN HAPPIER”: INSIDE THE RED-PILLING OF KANYE WEST - Vanity Fair
It’s great the Red Pill candidate won. His presence alone will make society more Red Pill over the next 4 to 8 years. - Reddit TheRedPill Post
Trump and the Red Pill - Ms. Magazine
John Stossel: Why so many are 'taking the red pill' (and discovering the truth about the mainstream media) - Fox News
How to Defend Yourself Like Trump: 11 Pro Strategies - Reddit TheRedPill Post
:o I feel as if I'm Rip Van Winkle when it comes to this the new argot. Thank you for the URLs.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

GREAT thread...thanks, Murf!

Speaking of the OED, i read a fascinated tale over summer holiday about the writing - the assembly really - of the Oxford English Dictionary called The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester.

The project took nearly 100 years to complete and involved hundreds of citizen volunteer wordsmiths that collected samples of words and submitted them to the leader of the project and his team (the Professor). As it turns out, one of the most prolific volunteers was a convicted murderer who lived all the while in an asylum in the English countryside. The Professor took submissions from the man for decades before actually meeting him in his rooms, behind tall walls and locked gates.

Great read...a real page turner...well, at least for us fans of etymology. :D

Last edited by dislaxxic on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks, dis, never knew that, am going to have to pick that book up, sounds very interesting (to me).
If ever a movie is made about it, I think the music for it has already been written.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca0wwRMH5dU
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

dislaxxic wrote:GREAT thread...thanks, Murf!

Speaking of the OED, i read a fascinated tale over summer holiday about the writing - the assembly really - of the Oxford English Dictionary called The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester.

The project took nearly 100 years to complete and involved hundreds of citizen volunteer wordsmiths that collected samples of words and submitted them to the leader of the project and his team (the Professor). As it turns out, one of the most prolific volunteers was a convicted murderer who lived all the while in an asylum in the English countryside. The Professor took submissions from the man for decades before actually meeting him in his rooms, behind tall walls and locked gates.

Great read...a real page turner...well, at least for us fans of etymology. :D

Enthralling book. Fact is indeed stranger than fiction.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DIS-Here's the URL for The OED online...[email protected]. As a person that regularly abuses the English language, I figured I'd go to the source.More fun than pedantic.

Not sure if you're familiar with the works of Richard Lederer, a High School teacher. They are not text. Rather they are :) informative and at times, hilarious. Interestingly, his kids are professional poker players......no teachers, they.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Had not heard of him, but went immediately to search him out...

Found this site: Verbivore which looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the tip.

He's from West Philly as it turns out, and went to Haverford College...huh.

Think often of a junior high school English exercise we were given...to write a poem using ONLY words that we found interesting. Don't have the original product i wrote, but i remember the assignment and many of the words i (then) found interesting.

Anybody want to offer a word they find interesting?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
DMac

Post by DMac »

My favorite new word: Specious. Everyone else might know what it means, but I didn't. Saw someone use it in a post at LP, looked it up, like it. Awful lot of specious arguments out there....yeah, yeah, yeah, that all sounds good but it's wrong.
Moist is another word I like.
8-)
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

:lol: :lol: Good ones, dMac! I'm quite sure i didn't know "specious" back when i wrote my 8th grade poem...but i sure do NOW!

Two that made my poem that are kinda related: salve and unguent.

Then there's the more "proper" version of those two made popular in "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou": Pomade.

Ointments, all! :D

wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

What the hell is a MARIO KART? :oops:
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

From today's OED online word blog: TUMP- a small rounded hill or mound; a tumulus. :) I kid you, not!
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

wahoomurf wrote:What the hell is a MARIO KART? :oops:
Only thing I know of is a series of video games starting with the Super Nintento - they're still making new versions today. Did you hear it in another context?

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Here's what i think of when i hear the word "tump"

It's that leather strap you use to carry a WANAGAN over a portage...

Carried a lot of wanagans with my tumps in central Ontario back in the day...

wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

holmes435 wrote:
wahoomurf wrote:What the hell is a MARIO KART? :oops:
Only thing I know of is a series of video games starting with the Super Nintento - they're still making new versions today. Did you hear it in another context?

Indeed I did. Stormy Daniel's, the woman that did/did not have a "liaison" with the SEWOAM, describes Trump's "Dingle Hoffer James" as looking like a mushroom from Mario Kart. ;)
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

wahoomurf wrote:Indeed I did. Stormy Daniel's, the woman that did/did not have a "liaison" with the SEWOAM, describes Trump's "Dingle Hoffer James" as looking like a mushroom from Mario Kart. ;)
Ah, yeah. I think she said his mini-Trump looked like Toad. This is Toad:

wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Zeitgeber: a rhythmically occurring natural phenomenon which acts as a cue in the regulation of the body's circadian rhythms.HUH?
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

OuttaNowhereWregget

A Question for the English Majors among us...

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

At the :49 point in this 1:12 clip, Russell Crowe’s character responds to “…trying to get a little context” with either:

“Context re: dirt.” or “Context read: dirt.”

Which is the grammatically correct written form—re: or read: ?
DMac

Post by DMac »

I think re is correct.
re: preposition, with regard to.
With regard to dirt in this case.

If he were saying read I think the
line would be, "Context to read as
dirt."

Maybe a real English major will
chime in though.

She's cute (can say that, we're