World Soccer

General Chatter
Seacoaster(1)

Re: World Soccer

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Man City and Real Madrid hold serve in the first games of the home and home series in the Round of 16:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-lZkwnX1IQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htp9Elx6mBo

This afternoon:

Lazio v. Bayern Munich

Paris Saint-Germaine v. Real Sociedad
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Bayern Munich seems to be unraveling. While the first-leg 1-0 Champions League loss at Lazio is certainly surmountable, the Bundesliga loss to lowly Bochum adds to Bayer Leverkusen's advantage. And, um, Bochum?? Bayern were knocked out of the German cup by lower-division Saarbrucken a ways back. It looks like Harry Kane's quest for a team title will yet again go unfulfilled. Although winning the Champions League would provide a Hollywood ending to a season that has soured badly for Bayern.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:44 am Bayern Munich seems to be unraveling. While the first-leg 1-0 Champions League loss at Lazio is certainly surmountable, the Bundesliga loss to lowly Bochum adds to Bayer Leverkusen's advantage. And, um, Bochum?? Bayern were knocked out of the German cup by lower-division Saarbrucken a ways back. It looks like Harry Kane's quest for a team title will yet again go unfulfilled. Although winning the Champions League would provide a Hollywood ending to a season that has soured badly for Bayern.
I watched the Lazio game, and Bayern were terrible. Listless, passes behind the run of players, standing around watching Musiala, bad touches turning into turnovers, and no one putting the ball near the frame. And Tuchel on the bench doing a pretty fair bit of nothing. Not seeing a quick turnaround here.

Man City drops a couple of crucial points, while Liverpool and Arsenal keep scoring what feels like tons and tons of goals. Care to predict...?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:26 am
FannOLax wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:44 am Bayern Munich seems to be unraveling. While the first-leg 1-0 Champions League loss at Lazio is certainly surmountable, the Bundesliga loss to lowly Bochum adds to Bayer Leverkusen's advantage. And, um, Bochum?? Bayern were knocked out of the German cup by lower-division Saarbrucken a ways back. It looks like Harry Kane's quest for a team title will yet again go unfulfilled. Although winning the Champions League would provide a Hollywood ending to a season that has soured badly for Bayern.
I watched the Lazio game, and Bayern were terrible. Listless, passes behind the run of players, standing around watching Musiala, bad touches turning into turnovers, and no one putting the ball near the frame. And Tuchel on the bench doing a pretty fair bit of nothing. Not seeing a quick turnaround here.

Man City drops a couple of crucial points, while Liverpool and Arsenal keep scoring what feels like tons and tons of goals. Care to predict...?
I think Man City are victims of their own success. Having won the Champions League, they played in some celebrity world club tourney, plus making it through to the League (Caribao or Milk or whatever) Cup final, they've just had to play too many games. The EPL is tough, a grind that I don't think suits City this time around. So, Arsenal and Liverpool. Arsenal playing amazingly well lately, but can they maintain such form? Liverpool looking good, but have had a few more injury problems than Arse. Klopp though knows what it takes to win the EPL. So I'd say Arse 40% chance, Liverpool 35% chance, City 24% chance, someone else 1%.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:31 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:26 am

I think Man City are victims of their own success. Having won the Champions League, they played in some celebrity world club tourney, plus making it through to the League (Caribao or Milk or whatever) Cup final, they've just had to play too many games. The EPL is tough, a grind that I don't think suits City this time around. So, Arsenal and Liverpool. Arsenal playing amazingly well lately, but can they maintain such form? Liverpool looking good, but have had a few more injury problems than Arse. Klopp though knows what it takes to win the EPL. So I'd say Arse 40% chance, Liverpool 35% chance, City 24% chance, someone else 1%.
The EPL is very tough this year. To date, City have dropped 16 pts just from other top clubs. Not exactly a recipe for another title. Have to say I’m surprised how Arsenal have picked up the pace. We’ll see how Liverpool handles their injury issues. Lots of games left. Should be an exciting finish.
ardilla secreta

Are you amused with the irony of Mr Kane’s futile attempt in landing a title this year in a league where Bayern wins something like 9/10 seasons?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:02 pm
Are you amused with the irony of Mr Kane’s futile attempt in landing a title this year in a league where Bayern wins something like 9/10 seasons?

It is quite something. If there ever seemed like a sure bet to win a title, Bayern this year would have been it. For Herr Kane, it must seem cruel; but I don't feel bad for him: he is a grown man getting paid massive amounts of money to play the beautiful game. Moreover, a title is something you earn, not demand or order from a catalogue. Tottenham's surprise run to the 2019 Champions League final was accomplished with Kane out injured for the quarter- and semi-finals. Then he was back for the final, which Spurs lost without scoring a goal. They looked flat, lifeless in that final, a game that Liverpool won without looking very good. And don't get me started on the 2015/16 EPL season, when Tottenham finished third in a two-team title fight.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Arsenal lose to Porto in Portugal 1-0. Gonna need some output in the North London return match.

Inter Milan hold serve at home against Athletico Madrid; this was a good game.
ardilla secreta

Liverpool 1 Chelsea 0

League Cup final on Sunday was a fun watch. After disallowing an early Liverpool goal Chelsea looked like they’d wrap it up in 2nd half with so many opportunities, but insertion of the Liverpool teens seemed to spark their extra time dominance and late win. Chelsea are such a bunch of lumps.

Big news for Everton as their appeal reduced their points deduction from 10 to 6 which should keep them up this season.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

QF of the FA Cup set, some good games:

Man City v. Newcastle
Chelsea v. Leicester City
Wolves v. Coventry
Liverpool v. Man United

All March 16
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:31 am QF of the FA Cup set, some good games:

Man City v. Newcastle
Wolves v. Coventry
Liverpool v. Man United

All March 16
Wolves look like having a good chance of making it through to the FA Cup semi-final, a feat they accomplished in 1981. Poch could still win a title this year for Chelsea. Of course, Man City and Liverpool...

Oh, and Coventry won the FA Cup in 1987.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:37 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:31 am QF of the FA Cup set, some good games:

Man City v. Newcastle
Wolves v. Coventry
Liverpool v. Man United

All March 16
Wolves look like having a good chance of making it through to the FA Cup semi-final, a feat they accomplished in 1981. Poch could still win a title this year for Chelsea. Of course, Man City and Liverpool...

FannOlax, pick one of the QF games for the upset? If I had to pick one, I would pick Man United to pick off Liverpool. Liverpool, still rattled with injuries and on a real high from the League Cup, seems like a pretty good contender for a one game letdown.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:00 am

Man City v. Newcastle
Wolves v. Coventry
Liverpool v. Man United

All March 16

FannOlax, pick one of the QF games for the upset? If I had to pick one, I would pick Man United to pick off Liverpool. Liverpool, still rattled with injuries and on a real high from the League Cup, seems like a pretty good contender for a one game letdown.
Hmmm, yes, and I can make the case from the Man U angle: wildly inconsistent, but on those admittedly rare days (or halves) when they're good, they've pulled off some very impressive results. The FA Cup is also the only trophy Man U can win, whereas Liverpool already won the League Cup and are still in the thick of the league-title chase. So yes, Man U is a good choice. At the same time, it's one game, that's the beauty of the FA Cup, and any odds-defying thing can happen in a single game.
ardilla secreta

FannOLax wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:15 pm

Man City v. Newcastle
Wolves v. Coventry
Liverpool v. Man United

All March 16

Hmmm, yes, and I can make the case from the Man U angle: wildly inconsistent, but on those admittedly rare days (or halves) when they're good, they've pulled off some very impressive results. The FA Cup is also the only trophy Man U can win, whereas Liverpool already won the League Cup and are still in the thick of the league-title chase. So yes, Man U is a good choice. At the same time, it's one game, that's the beauty of the FA Cup, and any odds-defying thing can happen in a single game.
Can’t see Liverpool losing at home. I would take Leicester City over Chelsea, which is like an empty, bleached-out clam shell on the beach.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:03 pm
FannOLax wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:15 pm

Man City v. Newcastle
Wolves v. Coventry
Liverpool v. Man United

All March 16

Can’t see Liverpool losing at home. I would take Leicester City over Chelsea, which is like an empty, bleached-out clam shell on the beach.
Plus, Leicester are top of the table in the 2nd-tier Championship. I could imagine them knocking out Chelsea.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Bayern and PSG through to the Quarterfinals of the Champions League. Not impressed with PSG, but it does feature the human lightning bolt.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Folks (and by that, I mean FannOlax and ardilla secreta, I guess), who do you like on Sunday in the Man City-Liverpool game? Looks like Liverpool has nearly everyone back except Allisson.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:43 am Folks (and by that, I mean FannOlax and ardilla secreta, I guess), who do you like on Sunday in the Man City-Liverpool game? Looks like Liverpool has nearly everyone back except Allisson.
Chris Sutton in his weekly BBC footy prediction column says, "Manchester City have not won a Premier League game against another team in the top five all season." Wow, so they're great at beating the teams they should clearly beat...but for me Sunday is all about Tottenham at Aston Villa. Come on you Spurs!
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68462975
ardilla secreta

FannOLax wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:41 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:43 am Folks (and by that, I mean FannOlax and ardilla secreta, I guess), who do you like on Sunday in the Man City-Liverpool game? Looks like Liverpool has nearly everyone back except Allisson.
Chris Sutton in his weekly BBC footy prediction column says, "Manchester City have not won a Premier League game against another team in the top five all season." Wow, so they're great at beating the teams they should clearly beat...but for me Sunday is all about Tottenham at Aston Villa. Come on you Spurs!
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68462975
I also said that about City a few posts back. Liverpool has better results at home, but I’m kinda hoping for a draw and Arsenal win over Brentford to put Gunners on top by GD. Indeed, Spurs at Aston Villa will be big game 1b with last CL slot on the line. Villa Park will be rockin.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

What Ardilla Secreta said about Manchester City a while back remains true: they still haven't beaten a top-5 team in an EPL match this season. Next weekend City plays Newcastle in the FA Cup, returning to League action on Sunday March 31 at home against Arsenal. That one will be huge. That same day, Liverpool will be at home against Brighton. But before then, Liverpool have an FA Cup match against man United. Arsenal are out of the FA Cup, but like City are still alive in the Champons League.

Spurs looked vulnerable in the first half at Aston Villa, but devastating in the the 2nd half en route to a big 4-0 victory that gives Tottenham a good chance of grabbing that 4th Champions League spot for next year. That's all Spurs have to play for, whie Villa are still in the Europa League (as are Liverpool, Brighton and West Ham. Arse and Nan City are still in the Champions League; hard to believe that played in this season's Champions League group stage, but the Red Devils crashed out hard.

Personally, I don't think Man City will win this season's EPL title, but I could be wrong. The Man City-Arsenal game should be an intense contest, but that's still a ways in the future.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”