Post by Brooklyn »

NWSL Challenge Cup action

https://www.cbssports.com/nwsl/news/nor ... -cup/live/

NCarolina 2
Portland 1

Halie Mace 74'
Lindsay Horan 80'
Lynn Williams 90+ 4' (OT)

Prior to the match both teams honored BLM by wearing commemorative shirts and by a kneeling moment of silence. All teams in all leagues should do the exact same thing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/courage-thorns ... 56218.html
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Re: World Soccer

Post by Brooklyn »

Those of you who watched EPL know that British players are wearing heart shaped badges on their unis in honor of the health care program and workers:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/nhs- ... ned-448634

Too bad we don't have national health care like they do in the UK and elsewhere.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Missed today's international soccer games so I went to youtube to watch an oldie:

1977-08-17 New York Cosmos vs Fort Lauderdale Strikers Playoffs

Both rosters were filled with soccer superstars of that era. Great game though the quality of the video is not as great as I'd like to see. We NY soccer fans sure had a great time watching this superb team back then.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Getafe CF 2
RSociedad 1

Jaime Mata PK @20'
Adnan Januszaj @55' for the equalizer
Mata (voted MVP) 83' for the winner via nutmeg (what Yanks call the wickets & Canadians call five hole)

I thought Mata deliberately walked into a block and simulated a fall. But ref fell for it. As for Januszaj's goal, I thought he was offside but, somehow, the VAR allowed it. Am shaking my head over both gols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLZxPVP ... ure=onebox

Note the criticism in the comments below the video as folks object to the officiating which has been a bit swampy lately. While I have always enjoyed Serie A, EPL, Bundesliga, & SPFL, Liga Santander remains my fave. Hopefully, some day they will do something about the officiating in order to keep the league at the top of Euro futbol.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Burnley looked good (again) today. Only beat Crystal Palace 1-0 but still a W. FWIW, Burnley beat Man U in January. And they play Liverpool on July 11. You never know...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.google.com/search?q=barca+v ... qx;dt;fp;1;;

Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid: 2-2

#1 versus # 3 in Spanish League

Somedo played a softee on the ref by pretending he had been fouled in the penalty box. A few minutes later the table were turned and he was the victim of a call on a softee. PKs were the result. Sad that this is the way to score in Euro soccer.

FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

West Ham v Chelsea earlier today: truly a good game, and what's both bad and good about England's Premier League. The bad: such a long delay to review VAR and ultimately decide no goal when it looked like West Ham had gone up 1 nil; then a very soft penalty awarded to Chelsea. When high-flying Chelsea converted from the spot, it would have been easy enough for the Hammers to have wilted. However, they showed grit and determination and plenty of counter-attacking football; in the end, WHU deserved their late winner. So the relegation battlers knocked off the high-flying Blues; in footy, 3-2 games are the best.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ wish I watched that game

Today's Valladolid vs Levante was an absolute snorefest. Ended 0-0 with a missed PK in the final minute. Only one SOG in the first half. ZZZᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢᴢ ....

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:40 pm West Ham v Chelsea earlier today: truly a good game...
Good? That was great.
Caddy Day
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 pm https://www.google.com/search?q=barca+v ... qx;dt;fp;1;;

Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid: 2-2

#1 versus # 3 in Spanish League

Somedo played a softee on the ref by pretending he had been fouled in the penalty box. A few minutes later the table were turned and he was the victim of a call on a softee. PKs were the result. Sad that this is the way to score in Euro soccer.
Watched the replay on your link. Truly those were some really weak PK calls.

I've always wished that soccer used the 4 man NHL style of stripes. Two linesmen and two refs - one in front of the play and one behind the play, moving as the play transitions up and down the field. Better way IMO.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I prefer the Eye in the Sky. Cameras all over the field, Refs on the field, and numerous people managing the cameras... who speak to the Ref. Give the Eye in the Sky more power.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I prefer the Eye in the Sky. Cameras all over the field, Refs on the field, and numerous people managing the cameras... who speak to the Ref. Give the Eye in the Sky more power.
Caddy Day
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:16 pm
FannOLax wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:40 pm West Ham v Chelsea earlier today: truly a good game...
Good? That was great.
Good, great, fun, entertaining, dramatic, enjoyable, yes, it was all of those things... unless you're a Chelsea fan. ;)
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

It was nice to finally get a good game in West Ham and Chelsea. Azpilicueta looked clueless and Rudiger’s positioning on the winning goal was atrocious for a top level pro. If he had played lacrosse he would have not overrun the play but square off and forced the left footed Yarmolenko to the outside.

Looks like two good games today with Blades - Spurs and City - Pool.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

4 man NHL style of stripes. Two linesmen and two refs
Eye in the sky.

I'd gladly take both but would add that the VAR used by bench official to determine whether a softee occurred and whether a PK is deserved. Instead of issuing a yellow or red to the defender, give it to the offender for simulating. As much as I love soccer, let's be honest here, such theatrics are disgusting and denigrate the beautiful game. International and domestic league soccer would be so much better without them.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

RMadrid 1
Getafe 0

Sergio Ramos wins it with a PK @78'. Not much of an improvement over last night's snore fest.

https://www.google.com/search?q=real+ma ... e&ie=UTF-8

May have to try another league for tomorrow and the weekend. Actually fell asleep in yesterday's game. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:13 pm Missed today's international soccer games so I went to youtube to watch an oldie:

1977-08-17 New York Cosmos vs Fort Lauderdale Strikers Playoffs

Both rosters were filled with soccer superstars of that era. Great game though the quality of the video is not as great as I'd like to see. We NY soccer fans sure had a great time watching this superb team back then.

Went to see this Cosmos team play Phila Atoms at Franklin Field. Back in those days it had to be absolutely brutal to play on those old fuzzy concrete turf fields with a crown no less. The rug burns must have been epic. I got a rug burn on my knee at Franklin Field one time on a newly laid carpet and it was huge and painful.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:21 am
Went to see this Cosmos team play Phila Atoms at Franklin Field. Back in those days it had to be absolutely brutal to play on those old fuzzy concrete turf fields with a crown no less. The rug burns must have been epic. I got a rug burn on my knee at Franklin Field one time on a newly laid carpet and it was huge and painful.

That must have been awful. I could never understand why they didn't wear knee and elbow pads to soften the blow when they crashed to the ground. But they did play a darn good brand of soccer and it sure was fun.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

EFL ~ what used to be called First Division in the old days:

Charlton Ath 0
Millwall 1

Jake Cooper with the winner @81'

https://www.google.com/search?q=charlto ... e&ie=UTF-8

South London derby took place at the Valley. Match had a bit more intensity and physicality with more shots than have the Liga matches. Lions 6'6" striker Matt Smith was virtually mugged every time he attempted to take a SOG. For the life of me I cannot understand how the ref allowed this to take place. I would have awarded PKs at least twice to him. Charlton Ath teams/fans known as Addicks.

I well remember when Milwall was known for being Muggingwall as hooligans used to jack up visiting fans. "No one likes us, we don't care":

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Southhampton 1
Manchester C. 0

https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... CAw&uact=5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiuShPh ... ure=onebox

I absolutely loved Che Adams long shot for the winner. Very enterprising and accurate fer sure.

Re MC ~ Anyone remember Foe' ? He was the unfortunate guy from Cameroon who died on the field from an irregularity in his heart. MC has retired his number, #23. Blue men launched several aggressive attacks against Saints but were thwarted by GK McCarthy. I thought there may have been a handball on one such shot @30' but ref did not see it that way.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”