media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: media matters

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:03 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:39 amThere is only ONE clearly understood definition of what a Swastika flag stands for.
Lol. Wrong. Bzzzt.

Swastika flags at Vancouver home spark cultural dialogue

The homeowner says the swastika is a traditional Hindu religious symbol that has nothing to do with Nazis
I've never seen a flag with a Swastika flying from any house ever. I have seen plenty of Betsy Ross flags proudly displayed especially around the 4th of July. Those racist WNC should be ashamed of themselves. They clearly don't understand the new symbolism attached to that flag as a symbol of the white supremacist movement. Why don't the WNC come up with their own damn flag. I suggest a coiled up snake with don't tread on me on it. :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Yes, you see a bunch of those amongst that crew.

Not necessarily WNC, but they certainly wave that one too… it’s all BS as what they want is the power to make others do their bidding.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:02 pm Yes, you see a bunch of those amongst that crew.

Not necessarily WNC, but they certainly wave that one too… it’s all BS as what they want is the power to make others do their bidding.
My dad said they use to tear up the many nazi flags they came across. They used them to wipe their fannies with. An appropriate use for any Nazi flag. They did make good toilet paper.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:02 pm Yes, you see a bunch of those amongst that crew.

Yes but that is not what "don't tread on me" meant. So any entity out there can bastardize the meaning of anything and corrupt it to the point the original meaning becomes discombobulated to people with no understanding of the historical context. I love my Betsy Ross flag. I but it in the days after 9/11 when there was not a traditional American flag to be found. I wouldn't hang it outside my house today. That is not because I'm not proud of it. That is because a bunch of ignorant rabble only sees it as a symbol of the WNC. No historical context needed.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:56 pm Yes but that is not what "don't tread on me" meant. So any entity out there can bastardize the meaning of anything and corrupt it to the point the original meaning becomes discombobulated to people with no understanding of the historical context. I love my Betsy Ross flag. I but it in the days after 9/11 when there was not a traditional American flag to be found. I wouldn't hang it outside my house today. That is not because I'm not proud of it. That is because a bunch of ignorant rabble only sees it as a symbol of the WNC. No historical context needed.
At what point does a symbol get bastardized?

Those people I linked to can't fly a swastika without everyone complaining about Nazis. Yet you didn't know the historical context because it's been bastardized.

Neighbors have a Navy Jack, and complain that their Naval Academy grad kid can't have the Gadsden flag on his phone case because white supremicists took it over and the Navy can't be political.

Most sane people understand the historic importance of symbols, but understand that they can be appropriated. Who coined the phrase MAGA again?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:35 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:56 pm Yes but that is not what "don't tread on me" meant. So any entity out there can bastardize the meaning of anything and corrupt it to the point the original meaning becomes discombobulated to people with no understanding of the historical context. I love my Betsy Ross flag. I but it in the days after 9/11 when there was not a traditional American flag to be found. I wouldn't hang it outside my house today. That is not because I'm not proud of it. That is because a bunch of ignorant rabble only sees it as a symbol of the WNC. No historical context needed.

Those people I linked to can't fly a swastika without everyone complaining about Nazis. Yet you didn't know the historical context because it's been bastardized.

Neighbors have a Navy Jack, and complain that their Naval Academy grad kid can't have the Gadsden flag on his phone case because white supremicists took it over and the Navy can't be political.

Most sane people understand the historic importance of symbols, but understand that they can be appropriated. Who coined the phrase MAGA again?
I apologize that it took me so long to read your link. The comparison was grapes to watermelons. I understand that to some Hindu people it is a religious symbol that predates the Nazi era by hundreds of years. If I was a Hindu I sure as hell would never fly a flag with that symbol in front of my house. Unless of course you relish having to explain what it symbolizes day after day to people who are offended by it. So why the need to publicly display a symbol to know is offensive and disgusting to half of the planet? :roll:
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:18 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:35 pm

I apologize that it took me so long to read your link. The comparison was grapes to watermelons. I understand that to some Hindu people it is a religious symbol that predates the Nazi era by hundreds of years. If I was a Hindu I sure as hell would never fly a flag with that symbol in front of my house. Unless of course you relish having to explain what it symbolizes day after day to people who are offended by it. So why the need to publicly display a symbol to know is offensive and disgusting to half of the planet? :roll:
Yea, I’ve often wondered why people insist on flying Confederate flags.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The swastika is also a symbol of the southwest desert American Indians. Been around a long time.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
NattyBohChamps04

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:18 am I apologize that it took me so long to read your link. The comparison was grapes to watermelons. I understand that to some Hindu people it is a religious symbol that predates the Nazi era by hundreds of years. If I was a Hindu I sure as hell would never fly a flag with that symbol in front of my house. Unless of course you relish having to explain what it symbolizes day after day to people who are offended by it. So why the need to publicly display a symbol to know is offensive and disgusting to half of the planet? :roll:
Not at all grapes to watermelons. The swastika has a very long history, going back nearly a millenia, if not longer. It may be extremely important to some people's heritage and faith. It's only been bastardized in the past 80 years. Why just abandon something that's important to your faith or heritage, why not take it back and actually explain its significance.

Yes, obviously the swastika is pretty well recognized as something offensive and disgusting in its use by Nazis and neo-Nazis.

The whole thing was a thought exercies. The question, again, at what point does the symbol get bastardized? When a small group of racists use it as their symbol and occasionally murder people? When a large group of racists use it as their symbol and murder millions?

You say an ignorant rabble sees the Betsy Ross flag as a symbol of hatred. Yet you immediately see the swastika as a symbol of hatred. So there's obviously a tipping point where disliking an originally innocent symbol used by hate groups (Betsy Ross flag) makes you an ignorant rabble. Vs. disliking an originally innocent symbol used by hate groups (swastika) makes you a normal human being.

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:06 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:18 am I apologize that it took me so long to read your link. The comparison was grapes to watermelons. I understand that to some Hindu people it is a religious symbol that predates the Nazi era by hundreds of years. If I was a Hindu I sure as hell would never fly a flag with that symbol in front of my house. Unless of course you relish having to explain what it symbolizes day after day to people who are offended by it. So why the need to publicly display a symbol to know is offensive and disgusting to half of the planet? :roll:
Not at all grapes to watermelons. The swastika has a very long history, going back nearly a millenia, if not longer. It may be extremely important to some people's heritage and faith. It's only been bastardized in the past 80 years. Why just abandon something that's important to your faith or heritage, why not take it back and actually explain its significance.

Yes, obviously the swastika is pretty well recognized as something offensive and disgusting in its use by Nazis and neo-Nazis.

The whole thing was a thought exercies. The question, again, at what point does the symbol get bastardized? When a small group of racists use it as their symbol and occasionally murder people? When a large group of racists use it as their symbol and murder millions?

You say an ignorant rabble sees the Betsy Ross flag as a symbol of hatred. Yet you immediately see the swastika as a symbol of hatred. So there's obviously a tipping point where disliking an originally innocent symbol used by hate groups (Betsy Ross flag) makes you an ignorant rabble. Vs. disliking an originally innocent symbol used by hate groups (swastika) makes you a normal human being.

My dad more than likely wiped his ass on a Nazi swastika flag. He probably never realized he was desecrating a Hindu shrine. My dad died with Nazi shrapnel still imbedded in his back. My dad also spoke fluent German and treated German prisoners with the respect a fellow defeated enemy deserved . Not all German soldiers were Nazis. They just wanted to go home and live in peace. They had had enough war. I hope every forum member has read or understands the anti war message of All Quiet on the Western Front.
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NattyBohChamps04

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:49 am
My dad more than likely wiped his ass on a Nazi swastika flag. He probably never realized he was desecrating a Hindu shrine. :roll:
So you do understand that symbols can change meaning over time depending who uses them! Great observation!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:58 am
My dad more than likely wiped his ass on a Nazi swastika flag. He probably never realized he was desecrating a Hindu shrine. :roll:
So you do understand that symbols can change meaning over time depending who uses them! Great observation!
My dad was a 1st generation German immigrant who chose to enlist and fight an enemy that was ostracized by mainstream America. Do you think German/Americans were treated with anymore respect than Japanese Americans? Both German Americans and Japanese Americans served this country with valor and integrity. As did the Tuskegee airmen. My dad served in a unit where the defeated enemy was mocked and ridiculed by his fellow soldiers. My old man always understood his enemy was actually his friend.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Nope, your trying to compare grapes to watermelons. These Hindu folks seem to be taking great glee at comparing a disgusting symbol of hatred and declaring it as a sacred part of their religious beliefs. Simple solution if your a rational Hindu... Find another symbol that doesn't represent all that is bad in the world. :roll:
Would you fly that flag in front of your house?? I can wear a bracelet with a Swastika on it and simply declare it as a symbol of my religion. Do you really believe that???
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I also understand your a pathetic FLP toadstool who is hopelessly grasping at straws as far as this discussion is concerned. Nice try though...
Now if you want to try and apples to apples comparison I'll listen to you trying to tread water before you drown in your own ineptitude.
NattyBohChamps04

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:48 pm
I also understand your a pathetic FLP toadstool who is hopelessly grasping at straws as far as this discussion is concerned. Nice try though...
Now if you want to try and apples to apples comparison I'll listen to you trying to tread water before you drown in your own ineptitude.
:lol:

Don't be afraid to fly your Betsy Ross flag. Don't let the FLP toadstool bring you down!

It's a shame people don't hate Nazis as much as they used to. What I do know is who the Nazis are gonna be voting for in November.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:48 pm
That wasn't necessary. You guys were having a perfectly fine discussion.

Seems to me that these folks actually do intend to have the conversation at this point. They want to explain what their faith tradition is all about and are glad for the attention, even if it is initially jarring to most of us. It's quickly clear that they aren't displaying the Nazi symbol.

If I'm wrong and they actually want to offend because they don't give a darn about others, that's another matter...giving offense is pretty much the universal intention today of use of the confederate flag and the nazi symbol in its nazi form and colors. Pretty much no one any more intends otherwise.

I agree that the appropriation of the Betsy Ross flag is shame. A-holes.
It's also offensive, at least to me, that so many of these a-holes wave the American flag as if they're actually patriotic, not WNC's and their kin. More obvious when they fly it upside down, but it ticks me off that I now wonder what someone means when they have a flag sticker on their car... alongside their Trump sticker and Jesus saves sticker.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Media Matters:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/me ... ournalist/

"In a case that has worried press advocates, veteran journalist Catherine Herridge was held in contempt on Thursday and ordered to pay $800 per day until she reveals the source for stories she wrote about Chinese American scientist Yanping Chen.

The ruling, from U.S. District Court Judge Christopher R. Cooper, will be stayed for 30 days or until Herridge can appeal the ruling.

Cooper ruled that Herridge violated his Aug. 1 order demanding that Herridge reveal how she learned about a federal probe into Chen, who operated a graduate program in Virginia. Herridge, who was recently laid off from CBS News, wrote the stories in question when she worked for Fox News in 2017.

Chen was never charged as a result of the investigation, which sought to determine whether she had lied about her military service and whether her school’s student database could be accessed from China, as the Fox News reports revealed. But after those stories brought the probe to light, Chen sued the federal government alleging that Herridge had been given leaked materials that violated her privacy, including photographs and images of internal government documents.

Herridge sat for a deposition in late September but refused to reveal how she obtained the information, citing her First Amendment rights and telling Chen’s lawyer, “I must now disobey the order.”

“The Court does not reach this result lightly,” the judge wrote. “It recognizes the paramount importance of a free press in our society and the critical role that confidential sources play in the work of investigative journalists like Herridge. Yet the Court also has its own role to play in upholding the law and safeguarding judicial authority.”

Herridge’s attorney, Patrick Philbin, said he and his client “disagree” with the judge’s decision and intend to appeal it.

“Holding a journalist in contempt for protecting a confidential source has a deeply chilling effect on journalism,” Fox News said in a statement. “Fox News Media remains committed to protecting the rights of a free press and freedom of speech and believes this decision should be appealed.”

First Amendment advocates had disagreed with Cooper’s ruling forcing Herridge to reveal her source, arguing that journalists can perform their public service function only if they are able to protect the identities of their confidential sources.

“The court’s order holding journalist Catherine Herridge in contempt for refusing to name her confidential source is unfortunate and should disturb anyone who cares about press freedom,” said Caitlin Vogus, deputy director of advocacy at Freedom of the Press Foundation. “When courts force journalists to burn their sources, it absolutely undermines the public’s right to know.”

Still, Gabe Rottman of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press called it “a relief” that Herridge will be able to pursue an appeal without having to immediately pay daily fines.

Andrew C. Phillips, an attorney representing Chen, said in a statement that “today’s ruling is an important one to ensure that government officials can be held to account for outrageous abuses of power.”

Herridge had asked to be fined only $1 per day, but the judge decided that was not sufficient. “Such a trivial sanction would not serve the fundamental purpose of civil contempt: ensuring compliance with a court order,” the judge wrote. “It would permit Herridge to pay pittance in perpetuity while continuously violating the Court’s directive and effectively vitiating Chen’s right to pursue her Privacy Act claim.”

But the judge did not bar her from accepting funding “from any other persons or entity” to pay the fine, as Chen had requested.

In 2005, five national reporters were held in contempt and ordered to pay $500 per day until they revealed sourcing information for stories about a government probe of nuclear scientist Wen Ho Lee. Ultimately, the case was settled for $750,000.

A USA Today reporter was held in contempt in 2008 and forced to face fines of up to $5,000 per day for not revealing her source for a story identifying a former Army scientist as a person of interest in the 2001 anthrax attacks. That case was also settled.

First Amendment advocates see Herridge’s case as a reason Congress should approve a federal shield law protecting reporters from having to disclose their sources. In his ruling, the judge nodded to the possibility of “a new federal common law newsgathering privilege” that would be broader than the laws on the books."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

But Natty told us it was because Paramount laid off 800 people. Seems she me have a mole in places that help us understand stuff behind the curtain.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:53 am But Natty told us it was because Paramount laid off 800 people. Seems she me have a mole in places that help us understand stuff behind the curtain.
Umm, what? Seriously, what is your point here?

The article has nothing to do with her separation from CBS, right?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:57 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:53 am But Natty told us it was because Paramount laid off 800 people. Seems she me have a mole in places that help us understand stuff behind the curtain.
Umm, what? Seriously, what is your point here?

The article has nothing to do with her separation from CBS, right?
As an attorney, would you want her on your staff if she is entangled in litigation, which may also encompass you business?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”