Towson
37%

Total votes: 38

AreaLax

#4 Syracuse vs Towson Sunday @ 7:30

Post by AreaLax »

Let’s go

Drew Carter & Ryan Boyle are calling the game
Last edited by AreaLax on Thu May 09, 2024 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Re: #4 Syracuse vs Towson Sunday @ 7:30

Post by HopFan16 »

Towson has had a great season but think their luck runs out in the Dome. The big advantages they've had over CAA teams are mostly neutralized here. (This is an attempt at a reverse jinx)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Another game where you're looking one of the two, three most competitive 1st round games.

I'm not sure the Tigers have faced a team as physical as Syracuse.

Tigers are definitely playing well, as well or better than they played against Navy and St Joe's, which were blowouts. Hens - a good, solid team - were never really in that last game against the Tigers.

Nick DeMaio, Mike Weisshaar, Colby Barsz are the players to watch for the Tigers.
DeMaio is now 3rd in DI in scoring.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Interesting matchup on a number of levels. Towson has a couple of high end O pieces in Demaio and Weisshaar and obviously very solid play at the X and goalie. They clearly have shown an ability to beat talented teams in their wins over St. Joes and Navy (albeit when both were really struggling) and crushing Delaware in the conf champ game was impressive.

Cuse has had issues with leads in the 4th quarter but they did win comfortably against solid mid level programs this year in Colgate, Utah and High Point. Towson is a step above all those teams for sure but how much so is the question. I don't think Townson winning would be some massive shock but I think Towson's long winning streak and the fact that they did have some good wins should put SU on alert ( at least I hope it does). SU has had some struggles with underdogs in the late SU night game before obviously with losses to Army and Bryant. Think a lot will come come down to the play of Kohn and Mullen at the X and SU's overall defensive performance as I think the offense should be able to score.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:24 am Towson has had a great season but think their luck runs out in the Dome. The big advantages they've had over CAA teams are mostly neutralized here. (This is an attempt at a reverse jinx)
Reverse jinx aside lol, curious to get your take on the game having seen both teams. The big advantages you mentioned that maybe neutralized here I assume are probably Constantinides at the X and SU's ability to match up with Weisshaar and Demaio but wonder if anything else about the matchup sticks out to you.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:18 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:24 am Towson has had a great season but think their luck runs out in the Dome. The big advantages they've had over CAA teams are mostly neutralized here. (This is an attempt at a reverse jinx)
Reverse jinx aside lol, curious to get your take on the game having seen both teams. The big advantages you mentioned that maybe neutralized here I assume are probably Constantinides at the X and SU's ability to match up with Weisshaar and Demaio but wonder if anything else about the matchup sticks out to you.
FO is a big part of it — Constantinides has been well above 50% in nearly every CAA game. He'll be lucky to get to 50% against Kohn. They also have had a major goalie advantage in every CAA game except vs. Delaware, but Mark is a step up from what they've seen. And, yeah, not sure they're seeing the size/speed/physicality of an ACC defense in awhile, even one that's struggled as of late.

They're a very different (and much better) team than when they lost to Hopkins three months ago. But from a skill and athleticism standpoint, Cuse is just more talented, in more places. Add in the playoff experience of guys like Stevens and English and I'd go with Cuse by a handful at home.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:26 am
FO is a big part of it — Constantinides has been well above 50% in nearly every CAA game. He'll be lucky to get to 50% against Kohn. They also have had a major goalie advantage in every CAA game except vs. Delaware, but Mark is a step up from what they've seen. And, yeah, not sure they're seeing the size/speed/physicality of an ACC defense in awhile, even one that's struggled as of late.

They're a very different (and much better) team than when they lost to Hopkins three months ago. But from a skill and athleticism standpoint, Cuse is just more talented, in more places. Add in the playoff experience of guys like Stevens and English and I'd go with Cuse by a handful at home.
Towson is going to have to win the possession game or goalie stands on his head to win here. Mark is a good goalie, but he can be really streaky.. He will make 3-4 insane saves and give up a softball.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

coda wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:29 am

Towson is going to have to win the possession game or goalie stands on his head to win here. Mark is a good goalie, but he can be really streaky.. He will make 3-4 insane saves and give up a softball.
Your right on Mark, he can be streaky at times. He had some unusual struggles (for him at least) toward the beginning of the year and then had about a month where he was brilliant and just making some absurd saves. He's tailed off a bit the last two games and obviously got pulled versus Duke early. I suspect he will rebound on Sunday, he's to good of a goalie not to.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Thanks, appreciate the insight. I have only seen Towson a few times this year including the Hop and UVA games and besides the first half of the UVA game they really struggled at times. However, as you noted they appear much improved and I suspect will give SU all they can handle.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Luke Downs really came through for the Tigers this year,
the starter in goal really was up in the air coming into this year and Downs stepped right in.

The UVA game is the game I'd point to, where Downs was able to keep up with UVA for a good 3/4 of that game, but by the end, UVA had Down's number.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Constantinides is a rock, Nadelen will just keep rolling him out there.
The only real clunker was the Hopkins game. Constantinides can score also.
molo

Post by molo »

Towson finished strong, mauling a good UDel team. I still remember when Towson knocked a strong SU team out of the tournament a few years ago at Delaware. They could do so again. On the other hand, I think the only non tournament team to beat SU thus year was Cornell, who should have..well, never mind. SU should win by a couple en route to what could be an all ACC final four.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:43 am Constantinides is a rock, Nadelen will just keep rolling him out there.
The only real clunker was the Hopkins game. Constantinides can score also.
Towson will need to win the possession battle (whether through FOs, gbs, CTs, TOs, and/or saves) to win this one. Rooting for Towson, but I think Syracuse wins this one.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Who are the Dodgers for Syracuse? Attack & midfield?
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Mr3Putt wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:29 pm Who are the Dodgers for Syracuse? Attack & midfield?
Stevens and Leo at mid. Finn Thomson can be slippery in 2 man game. They don’t have attackmen who can beat their man with any consistency
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

BigTurn wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:00 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:29 pm Who are the Dodgers for Syracuse? Attack & midfield?
Stevens and Leo at mid. Finn Thomson can be slippery in 2 man game. They don’t have attackmen who can beat their man with any consistency
English is probably the main initiator for the first line. I think all three attackmen can dodge, but no, they don't have a alpha who can just take over a game. Spallina can take over against lesser defensemen, though it looks like Towson has a PLL level defender. Will be interesting to see if Towson decide to short stick Mule, he has had good and bad performances this season when teams try it. SU does most of their work with ball movement.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Powellfan22 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:29 pm
English is probably the main initiator for the first line. I think all three attackmen can dodge, but no, they don't have a alpha who can just take over a game. Spallina can take over against lesser defensemen, though it looks like Towson has a PLL level defender. Will be interesting to see if Towson decide to short stick Mule, he has had good and bad performances this season when teams try it. SU does most of their work with ball movement.
Forgot about English, but yea. Stevens and Thompson initiating from 2 man game on the wing against UVA is probably the best offense ive seen from cuse this year. Carved them up
tech37

Post by tech37 »

BigTurn wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:10 pm
Forgot about English, but yea. Stevens and Thompson initiating from 2 man game on the wing against UVA is probably the best offense ive seen from cuse this year. Carved them up
Correction. It was English/Thomson's inside game "carving up" UVa a couple weeks ago, not Stevens.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

tech37 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:32 pm
BigTurn wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:10 pm
Correction. It was English/Thomson's inside game "carving up" UVa a couple weeks ago, not Stevens.
You’re right, had to go back and watch. Stevens had the goal just before the English/Thomson 2 man pick and slip I was thinking of so I misremembered.

Post by 1766 »

This would be the upset of all upsets. Unlikely to happen for Towson. Weisshaar is one of the most undervalued players in the country though. Towson seems to be clicking at the right time. They will likely stay within striking range playing stout defense until the middle of the second half when Syracuse's depth and home field advantage starts to take over.

Faceoffs, like always, could be an X factor.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”