NCAA Tournament 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Nigel

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by Nigel »

One year ago, Babson took out Williams in the second round at Tiger Stadium. New opponent but same bus trip, same hotel, same field, same expected result. Babson 16-10.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Lacrossefan25

Post by Lacrossefan25 »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:59 pm
Lacrossefan25 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:04 pm
Tactful Lax wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:20 pm Sorry, but CNU was seven and one. I am not going to tell you what years that my kids played, but that is fact. And CNU is eight and two in the last 10 times they have played them.

Before CNU starts talking about dominating teams, let’s highlight how Salisbury is 10-1 against CNU since 2021.
Straight domination.
Ah yes, getting dominated by Salisbury disqualifies a team from being dominant against anyone else. Guess the other 244 teams in D3 should just shut it down. Let's delete all other threads on the forum and only talk about Salisbury while we're at it.

CNU racks up losses to Salisbury because they play them 2-3 times a season. No one else does. And no one else would do much better than getting "straight dominated" by Salisbury.

So tired of this lazy take.

I’m tired of people thinking that the favorite going into the d 3 lax tourney won’t win. When is the last time we saw a true dark horse win the final? I’ll give you Wesleyan in 2018 and Cabrini in 2019 as dark horses but even then those teams were highlight ranked. Realistically 2 teams can win it this year. RIT and Salisbury
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

Lacrossefan25 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:08 am
Tactful Lax wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:20 pm Sorry, but CNU was seven and one. I am not going to tell you what years that my kids played, but that is fact. And CNU is eight and two in the last 10 times they have played them.

Before CNU starts talking about dominating teams, let’s highlight how Salisbury is 10-1 against CNU since 2021.
Straight domination.
Ah yes, getting dominated by Salisbury disqualifies a team from being dominant against anyone else. Guess the other 244 teams in D3 should just shut it down. Let's delete all other threads on the forum and only talk about Salisbury while we're at it.

CNU racks up losses to Salisbury because they play them 2-3 times a season. No one else does. And no one else would do much better than getting "straight dominated" by Salisbury.

I’m tired of people thinking that the favorite going into the d 3 lax tourney won’t win. When is the last time we saw a true dark horse win the final? I’ll give you Wesleyan in 2018 and Cabrini in 2019 as dark horses but even then those teams were highlight ranked. Realistically 2 teams can win it this year. RIT and Salisbury
I think Salisbury is almost certainly going to win the natty. If it's Salisbury vs the field, Salisbury is probably still the favorite. Of course there's always a chance that goliath gets knocked off, but it's a very slim one, especially this year.

That said, I'm not sure who's saying that they won't win. It looks to me like some people are just trying to find a crack in their armor to give them/their team some hope. Why wouldn't they?

Also, not sure if this was a direct response to my post, but that wasn't at all the point of my post that you quoted. I was just calling out how dumb it is for people to discount CNU as a program because they lose to Salisbury. Everyone loses to Salisbury.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

I too had Babson but is the Co-Rookie of year for Babson hurt? He was lights out all season, so this could change the outcome of the game.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Straight domination.

so much about this post that i don’t understand.
first off, salisbury appears to be the top team. they are undefeated, and should be the favorite. but. they have had a soft schedule compared to others. not sure if that means anything. salisbury has played two top 10 teams (3 games). compare that to the other top 10 teams

Dickinson is the only team with less top 10 games.

salisbury hasn’t faced a team like RIT, RPI, St Lawrence this year. we have no idea how that would look.

York, Gettysburg, stevenson, and Washington College all kept it close for most of the game and these are not top 20 teams.

anything can happen. and upsets usually do happen at some point in the tourney.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

[/quote]
first off, salisbury appears to be the top team. they are undefeated, and should be the favorite. but. they have had a soft schedule compared to others. not sure if that means anything. salisbury has played two top 10 teams (3 games). compare that to the other top 10 teams

salisbury hasn’t faced a team like RIT, RPI, St Lawrence this year. we have no idea how that would look.

York, Gettysburg, stevenson, and Washington College all kept it close for most of the game and these are not top 20 teams.

[/quote]

This is spot on. Any team can hot during the tournament and win it. Amherst who did not make it beat RPI. Hamilton beat Tufts. Trinity beat Wes. NC beating Duke. So many examples of upsets this year. Historical - US Hockey beating the Soviet in the 1980 Olympics. This is why we play the game.

Everyone keeps talking about RPI who won 5 one goal games (2022 Minnesota Vikings). Guess what if they lost 2 of those games which could have happen, they would not be part of the conversation. RIT lost two of those games so they can be beat to. Salisbury while undefeated has not played as grueling of a schedule as the NESCAC and Liberty league. I know nothing about them but looking at the scores and who they played, I am by no means impressed. I think Wes, Tufts, RIT, SLU, RPI, and Middlebury are much stronger opponents than Lynchburg and CNU so who is to say how they would far against those team.

In any case, good luck to all teams in the tournament. Just want to see some exciting lacrosse. If we get a few game like RPI-RIT over the next few weekends, then it will sure be a great event to watch.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:16 am

Straight domination.

Salisbury plays a varied schedule as is their norm, 10 of 19 games are teams in tge tournament. Add Gburg and York. Schedules are made 2 years prior so it’s a crap shoot to know who will be a top ten team. Btw, everyone assumes that Salisbury doesn’t want to play the Northern schools but it’s possible that the Northern ones don’t want to play them during the season.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

In years past, Gulls have torn through their side of the bracket and encountered a worthy program in the final. But even in dominant years they've gotten some great tests before that. Noke, Denison, plenty of others have shown out and made them really earn a title berth. They aren't undefeated in NC games. Panthers, Red Dragons, Tigers, Jumbos, Cardinals all got 'em in that game. The variables are there, and not everyone can control them.

Salisbury does two things consistently better than every other program. Recruit and develop. Simple as that. They attract better talent to the top end of the funnel, and the develop the lights out.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Motorman wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:52 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:16 am

Straight domination.

Salisbury plays a varied schedule as is their norm, 10 of 19 games are teams in tge tournament. Add Gburg and York. Schedules are made 2 years prior so it’s a crap shoot to know who will be a top ten team. Btw, everyone assumes that Salisbury doesn’t want to play the Northern schools but it’s possible that the Northern ones don’t want to play them during the season.
i wasn’t knocking the schedule or suggesting they didn’t want to play. i was just pointing out that there are no guarantees. none of us know what will happen when salisbury faces a top 5 team, because they haven’t all year. not the fault of salisbury. just saying we don’t know. all we can do is piece together parts. common opponents. for example. York played the top 4 teams.
york jumped out on SU and was up 4-0
all the other three jumped up on York early.
SU was able to fight back, then dominate the 4th
the other three allowed York to fight back and close the game.

SU won by 5
all the others won by 1

with this info, it looks like SU has a slight edge.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

Nigel wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:15 am One year ago, Babson took out Williams in the second round at Tiger Stadium. New opponent but same bus trip, same hotel, same field, same expected result. Babson 16-10.
Love this take.
Given how many NE players choose Denison - maybe this outcome will also have recruiting implications.

Predictions for the weekend (pod winners) :

Salisbury over Swat
W&L over Lynchburg
Tufts over Union
Wesleyan over St Lawrence
Bowdoin over RPI
Middlebury over Dickinson
RIT over Babson
Stevens over CNU
twohandsonestick

Post by twohandsonestick »

SaltCounty wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:41 am
Nigel wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:15 am One year ago, Babson took out Williams in the second round at Tiger Stadium. New opponent but same bus trip, same hotel, same field, same expected result. Babson 16-10.
Love this take.
Given how many NE players choose Denison - maybe this outcome will also have recruiting implications.

Predictions for the weekend (pod winners) :

Salisbury over Swat
W&L over Lynchburg
Tufts over Union
Wesleyan over St Lawrence
Bowdoin over RPI
Middlebury over Dickinson
RIT over Babson
Stevens over CNU
Babson isn't taking any of Denison's recruits. Storied program with 9+ straight years of NCAA playoff berths, 21x Conference Champs,~150 All Americans, 3x Final Fours, plus a new state-of-the-art lacrosse specific stadium has much more of a pull than Babson's recent success seen in the past year and a half. That said, I think any year where Denison isnt a top 10-15 team is a bit of a let down. Koch still only has one true recruiting class in the door from his own efforts - give him a few years to get the legs under the program and I think they'll be back to the usual prowess we used to seeing of Denison's program. I think Denison needs to do a much better job this offseason finding a new OC, which I hear they are planning to hire come summertime.

Love that you're taking a few big upsets - could be a chaotic weekend which would be fun to shake things up heading out of weekend #1. That said, Sunday's games are anyone's to take given the back to back games, fatigue that can set in for players as well as less film/time to prepare.
twohandsonestick

The12lov3 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:48 am

[/quote]

This is spot on. Any team can hot during the tournament and win it. Amherst who did not make it beat RPI. Hamilton beat Tufts. Trinity beat Wes. NC beating Duke. So many examples of upsets this year. Historical - US Hockey beating the Soviet in the 1980 Olympics. This is why we play the game.

Everyone keeps talking about RPI who won 5 one goal games (2022 Minnesota Vikings). Guess what if they lost 2 of those games which could have happen, they would not be part of the conversation. RIT lost two of those games so they can be beat to. Salisbury while undefeated has not played as grueling of a schedule as the NESCAC and Liberty league. I know nothing about them but looking at the scores and who they played, I am by no means impressed. I think Wes, Tufts, RIT, SLU, RPI, and Middlebury are much stronger opponents than Lynchburg and CNU so who is to say how they would far against those team.

In any case, good luck to all teams in the tournament. Just want to see some exciting lacrosse. If we get a few game like RPI-RIT over the next few weekends, then it will sure be a great event to watch.
[/quote]

While acknowledging the excitement of upsets, it's important to address the arguments raised against specific teams like RPI, RIT, and Salisbury, as well as the comparisons drawn between their schedules and those of teams like Lynchburg and CNU.

Firstly, it's essential to recognize that each team's journey to the tournament is unique and should be evaluated within its own context. RPI's ability to win five one-goal games, for instance, demonstrates not just luck but also their resilience and ability to perform late in games. Similarly, while RIT may have lost two such games, it doesn't diminish their overall strength as a team - they have been waxing most opponents. While Salisbury may not have faced as many traditionally strong opponents as teams from the NESCAC and Liberty League, their undefeated record reflects they are the team to beat. Dont bet against Berkman in May
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:21 am In years past, Gulls have torn through their side of the bracket and encountered a worthy program in the final. But even in dominant years they've gotten some great tests before that. Noke, Denison, plenty of others have shown out and made them really earn a title berth. They aren't undefeated in NC games. Panthers, Red Dragons, Tigers, Jumbos, Cardinals all got 'em in that game. The variables are there, and not everyone can control them.

Salisbury does two things consistently better than every other program. Recruit and develop. Simple as that. They attract better talent to the top end of the funnel, and the develop the lights out.
I do recall the year that Tufts and Salisbury were in the same bracket, tufts won. Same argument people were make how great Salisbury is. They are the favorite but so were the bruins and celtics last year and they did not win championship
twohandsonestick

The12lov3 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:01 am
MVPiccoli wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:21 am In years past, Gulls have torn through their side of the bracket and encountered a worthy program in the final. But even in dominant years they've gotten some great tests before that. Noke, Denison, plenty of others have shown out and made them really earn a title berth. They aren't undefeated in NC games. Panthers, Red Dragons, Tigers, Jumbos, Cardinals all got 'em in that game. The variables are there, and not everyone can control them.

I do recall the year that Tufts and Salisbury were in the same bracket, tufts won. Same argument people were make how great Salisbury is. They are the favorite but so were the bruins and celtics last year and they did not win championship
Thanks for this, but there is much less parity in D3 lacrosse than NBA basketball
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Ephs got their revenge earlier this season, but, the Beavers are still playing.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Of course no team is impervious to losing a lacrosse game. Look no further than last year’s Championship game! Tufts was a juggernaut last year - plowing through most games and winning by 20. Entered the final as an overwhelming favorite at 22-0. They lost! And to who? Salisbury. The same Salisbury who played the same type schedule as this year, who had lost to Gettysburg and was having a “down year” by their standards. Well Berkman put together a master class in coaching and shut the Jumbos down holding a team that had averaged 20+ goals at least,to just 12. My point? You have to win all the games to become Champions so yes, there are potential pitfalls for all teams - even the prohibitive favorites. But for my money, history has taught me not to worry about the Gulls weak schedule, not to fret about not “blowing opponents out” in the regular season and not to bet against Coach Berkman in May! You may not win all the time but you will win far more often then lose following that advice. And this is coming from a non Salisbury fan - just someone that has seen them year in and year out in May and have had my teams dreams crushed by the Gulls (on their way to another ring) on more than 1 occasion. Massive respect.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Nosey Ned wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:39 pm

Of course no team is impervious to losing a lacrosse game. Look no further than last year’s Championship game! Tufts was a juggernaut last year - plowing through most games and winning by 20. Entered the final as an overwhelming favorite at 22-0. They lost! And to who? Salisbury. The same Salisbury who played the same type schedule as this year, who had lost to Gettysburg and was having a “down year” by their standards. Well Berkman put together a master class in coaching and shut the Jumbos down holding a team that had averaged 20+ goals at least,to just 12. My point? You have to win all the games to become Champions so yes, there are potential pitfalls for all teams - even the prohibitive favorites. But for my money, history has taught me not to worry about the Gulls weak schedule, not to fret about not “blowing opponents out” in the regular season and not to bet against Coach Berkman in May! You may not win all the time but you will win far more often then lose following that advice. And this is coming from a non Salisbury fan - just someone that has seen them year in and year out in May and have had my teams dreams crushed by the Gulls (on their way to another ring) on more than 1 occasion. Massive respect.
I have full respect for Salisbury. My whole point is that people are crowning Salisbury and RIT champions and they have not won it yet. Like last year, Tufts was a huge favorite and they lost. Even last year I was saying that anything can happen and Salisbury can win. Point is that all these teams are talented and all have weaknesses. Salisbury seems to have less weaknesses but they have not played Tufts, Wes, RPI, RIT, or SLU. Salisbury is the favorite but any one of those teams can knock them off. Providing there are no major upsets which there could be, all those team will need to beat at least 2 of others to win it all. Not an easy task. I am not a Wesleyan fan but having seem them play and the other as well, they are playing the best ball right now.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Nosey Ned wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:39 pm

Berkman is the only Maryland state employees who works every Memorial Day Weekend.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

What looked like the first good matchup of the weekend is as competitive as hoped/expected, Babson-Denison has been a really good game through three quarters.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

ah23 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:34 pm What looked like the first good matchup of the weekend is as competitive as hoped/expected, Babson-Denison has been a really good game through three quarters.
Congratulations to Babson and good luck the rest of the way. Was a good game and hard fought both teams. I’ll admit I didn’t see 6 for 26 coming at FO for the Big Red. Considering that disadvantage I think the guys did a great job staying in the game.

My season’s over. I’m out! Good luck to everyone this weekend and enjoy the great matchups coming up.

Go Big Red

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”