NCAA Tournament 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxattackjack

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by Laxattackjack »

Laxfan1414 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:19 pm Serious question though, how do they determine who is hosting quarterfinals and semis weekend of 5/18?
should be the top two teams

south SU
North RPI

if they lose, not sure how they are ranked.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

just looking at the first round games saturday. Union/Stevenson is intriguing. looking at how union had trouble with RPI, RIT, and St Lawrence. i think Stevenson has a good chance to pull off the upset.
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

Some bracket takes:

-Lynchburg vs. W&L in round 3 is going to be ELECTRIC. W&L will be out for blood after a disappointing showing in the ODAC tourney. LC looks solid coming out of the conference, but they did lose to W&L already this year. I don't even know how to make a pick here.

-Puzzling that Tufts, who fumbled the NESCAC, got a far easier draw (Union) in Rd 3 than Wesleyan, who won the NESCAC, (St Lawrence). That said, Tufts will atone for their sins in the quarters and dispatch Wesleyan.

-RPI cruises to the Final Four.

-Salisbury cruises to championship weekend.

-CNU nation is overjoyed that they're on the opposite side of the bracket from Salisbury. CNU could just as easily lose in Rd 3 to Roanoke/Stevens OR make it to the title game.

-Middlebury beats Dickinson in Rd 3.

-Bowdoin eviscerates Grove City.
balderdash

Post by balderdash »

Who has the hardest pod & who has the easiest?
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

balderdash wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:39 am Who has the hardest pod & who has the easiest?
I think if Salisbury weren't a big favorite over the majority of the field we would say they got a tough draw - - three combined losses between the Gulls, Endicott, and Swarthmore. Tufts/Union/Stevenson could all advance out of that pod and it wouldn't shock me. RIT probably has the clearest path to the quarter finals.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

SixBySix wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:40 am
balderdash wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:39 am Who has the hardest pod & who has the easiest?
I think if Salisbury weren't a big favorite over the majority of the field we would say they got a tough draw - - three combined losses between the Gulls, Endicott, and Swarthmore. Tufts/Union/Stevenson could all advance out of that pod and it wouldn't shock me. RIT probably has the clearest path to the quarter finals.
I saw that too. I haven't seen Endicott at all to comment, but the Garnet are really good. Who wants to walk in to the QF? I think that's boring as a player and a fan. Tests baby. Let's see who studied, who prepared, who gave up their social time to get better. Salisbury has to be jonesing for someone on the other sideline that can give them that.

My sleeper pick is the Bugs. I can see them getting hot and doing some real damage. The only team I'm really not interested in seeing advance is Dickinson. I'm sorry, that decision by their program to drop Cabrini from the schedule will always irritate me.
jumpman23

Post by jumpman23 »

I am an admitted NESCAC guy, but that said I objectively see that Tufts has the easiest pod.
Wesleyan has the toughest pod with St. Lawrence.
25% chance that the best version of the Bowdoin team shows up and they roll out of that pod. 75% chance they either get stung by Grove City or more likely blown off the field by RPI on Sunday.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

MVPiccoli wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:50 am
I saw that too. I haven't seen Endicott at all to comment, but the Garnet are really good. Who wants to walk in to the QF? I think that's boring as a player and a fan. Tests baby. Let's see who studied, who prepared, who gave up their social time to get better. Salisbury has to be jonesing for someone on the other sideline that can give them that.

My sleeper pick is the Bugs. I can see them getting hot and doing some real damage. The only team I'm really not interested in seeing advance is Dickinson. I'm sorry, that decision by their program to drop Cabrini from the schedule will always irritate me.
I think Salisbury's pod looks tougher than it is.

Aside from Face-Offs, each of SWAT's units are much better than Endicott's.
And I think they benefit from last year's fumble v. Grove City, to beat an Endicott that hasn't had NCAA tourney experience since 2017

Neither have played a team that prepares them for Salisbury - either teams' season ends Sunday.

Some predictions (really guesses) for today:

Centre over Pfeiffer
Ill Wesleyan over Aurora
Transylvania over Lake Forest
St. Mary's over Farmingdale
Scranton over John Carroll
St. Joe's over SUNY Poly
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

No great games but... The tourney starts today. https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/lacrosse-men/d3/2024
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

jumpman23 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:56 am
I am an admitted NESCAC guy, but that said I objectively see that Tufts has the easiest pod.
Wesleyan has the toughest pod with St. Lawrence.
25% chance that the best version of the Bowdoin team shows up and they roll out of that pod. 75% chance they either get stung by Grove City or more likely blown off the field by RPI on Sunday.
Yea as an RPI fan, the Spector of the Nescac always makes me nervous, deserved or not this year. Historically the Engineers have not faired well against nescac teams in the tourney. Haven’t beaten one in the last 3 tries, but they have been exercising all their demons this year, so it would be poetic to beat Bowdoin….

RPI will be the best team in the pod, just curious if they can handle the expectations as the hunted.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Salisbury has had a few game challenges thru out the season. York, G-burg, lynch, WAC all challenged at some point in their games but each time the Gulls responded and pulled away. Gulls appear to have a wealth of experience and group who returned for only one reason, win a 2nd in a row. Anything can happen in one game but seems they are not gonna trip up.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Motorman wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:58 am

Salisbury has had a few game challenges thru out the season. York, G-burg, lynch, WAC all challenged at some point in their games but each time the Gulls responded and pulled away. Gulls appear to have a wealth of experience and group who returned for only one reason, win a 2nd in a row. Anything can happen in one game but seems they are not gonna trip up.
the only teams that gave salisbury a run this year, are teams that know them well and match up. York, GBurg and WAC. i don’t see anyone giving them trouble this weekend

someone suggested stevenson can beat tufts. i think that would be the biggest upset of the weekend and don’t think it is realistic. stevenson lost by double digits to an unranked team that didn’t make the tourney.
CentennialPundit

Post by CentennialPundit »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:10 am
Motorman wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:58 am

the only teams that gave salisbury a run this year, are teams that know them well and match up. York, GBurg and WAC. i don’t see anyone giving them trouble this weekend

someone suggested stevenson can beat tufts. i think that would be the biggest upset of the weekend and don’t think it is realistic. stevenson lost by double digits to an unranked team that didn’t make the tourney.
Not predicting the outcome of the game- but there is a realistic chance Swarthmore is the best team Salisbury will have faced all year. That is a tough draw for the #1 seed.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:36 am No great games but... The tourney starts today. https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/lacrosse-men/d3/2024
Matnum …. I’m surprised by you! Thought you were better than this elitist attitude! Note - just kidding!

That said, just because these aren’t marquee names going at it today, doesn’t mean the games themselves can’t be good. I actually expect some games today to be closer than some being contested in the next round. One game today that jumps out at me is the Scranton v John Carroll game - that could be a real good one. I’d be willing to invest some time to watch that one but if I’m not mistaken isn’t the Landmark Conference on some pay to watch subscription deal?! If true that’s absurd in IMO. 😂 any landmark posters care to confirm how we watch a Scranton game? Are NCAA Tournament games all broadcasted on NCAA website?
Last edited by Nosey Ned on Wed May 08, 2024 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
richard

Post by richard »

Gotta love how so many second round games have assumed winners.
richard

Post by richard »

Nosey Ned wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:47 am [quote="Matnum PI" post_id=548497 time=<a href="tel:1715175405">1715175405</a> user_id=54]
No great games but... The tourney starts today. https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/lacrosse-men/d3/2024
Matnum …. I’m surprised by you! Thought you were better than this elitist attitude! Note - just kidding!

That said, just because these aren’t marquee names going at it today, doesn’t mean the games themselves can’t be good. I actually expect some games today to be closer than some being contested in the next round. One game today that jumps out at me is the Scranton v John Carroll game - that could be a real good one. I’d be willing to invest some time to watch that one but if I’m not mistaken isn’t the Landmark Conference on some pay to watch subscription deal?! If true that’s absurd in IMO. 😂 any landmark posters care to confirm how we watch a Scranton game?
[/quote]

I’m thinking the Farmingdale- St Mary’s game should be a good one too..
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Nosey Ned wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:47 amMatnum …. I’m surprised by you! Thought you were better than this elitist attitude! Note - just kidding!...
You are correct. :) I'm less a D3 Men's Lacrosse elitist and more D3 Men's Lacrosse uneducated.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
FosterLax3

Post by FosterLax3 »

CentennialPundit wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:37 am
Not predicting the outcome of the game- but there is a realistic chance Swarthmore is the best team Salisbury will have faced all year. That is a tough draw for the #1 seed.
I think all D3 fans besides the Salisbury faithful would love to see the Gulls get bounced early. I think it would ramp up the level of competition and motivation even more if teams saw the reigning champs and consensus #1 team in this tournament lose.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Nosey Ned wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:47 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:36 am No great games but... The tourney starts today. https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/lacrosse-men/d3/2024

That said, just because these aren’t marquee names going at it today, doesn’t mean the games themselves can’t be good. I actually expect some games today to be closer than some being contested in the next round. One game today that jumps out at me is the Scranton v John Carroll game - that could be a real good one. I’d be willing to invest some time to watch that one but if I’m not mistaken isn’t the Landmark Conference on some pay to watch subscription deal?! If true that’s absurd in IMO. 😂 any landmark posters care to confirm how we watch a Scranton game? Are NCAA Tournament games all broadcasted on NCAA website?
Looks like all games are on ncaa.com, also there is a Roku app available.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

FosterLax3 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:52 pm
CentennialPundit wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:37 am
I think all D3 fans besides the Salisbury faithful would love to see the Gulls get bounced early. I think it would ramp up the level of competition and motivation even more if teams saw the reigning champs and consensus #1 team in this tournament lose.
i can agree with this. can you imagine if cabrini won it all this year.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”