NCAA Tournament 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Prepschoolkid

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by Prepschoolkid »

twohandsonestick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:55 am Touching on the Friday games since they're on the slate tomorrow. RIT wins their game effortlessly easily, covering a 15-20 goal spread in my opinion. They’ve been mostly dominant all year and are proven perennial contenders and Hope is no where close to playing at the same level.

The Denison vs. Babson game is an interesting one – Babson is filled with experienced players thanks to a senior laden class as well as a handful of grad students (clear advantage over teams that don’t offer the ability of a 5th year). The Beavers are putting together what’s been likely their best season in recent memory and are definitely deserving of a top 10-15 ranking. Denison has been a national powerhouse for 10+ years thanks to the consistent quality of play seen during those Caravana years. With a new coach at the helm, the program has seen 2 “down” years, and while still making NCAA postseason runs, doesn’t quite seem to be at the level it was a 3-4 years ago. No doubt it takes a few years for coaches to get their mark on a program as their own recruiting classes come to fruition and I expect Denison to continue to compete for national championships for years to come. This is what makes the 3pm game so interesting – Babson, the unproven new team on the block versus a well-regarded Denison program. I wouldn’t be surprised if Denison keeps it close despite their poor OOC performance this season. To me this is a battle tested team so I am taking Denison 14-11. Thoughts on Friday’s games?
Interesting take, I think Babson is the clear favorite here but with that said they have always been the underdog and now find themselves as the favorite against a hungry Denison team. Coach Eric Koch and the big red need a win against a ranked opponent or else this could be the first season in decades that the big red have gone without a ranked win.... they will need to come out flying for them to have a chance at stealing this one. Hearing rumors that Clyde Bresnahan might be healthy for this game which will give Denison some life from the midfield. With that being said Babson has some very impressive wins this season and has a deep bench that will make Denisons life difficult all game long. Babson will need to squash any life Denison has in the first quarter.

Really excited to watch St. Lawrence during this postseason. They have been dominant this year and have a couple of players who will be doing fifth and sixth years and some pretty big time Division one programs next year. I think when they meet Tufts in the elite 8 they are going to stomp on them. Tufts coach is more worried about his game day kicks and what he looks like on social media than actually bringing them to a national championship... apparent in their loss in the NESCAC tournament to Hamilton. Thoughts?
twohandsonestick

Post by twohandsonestick »

Prepschoolkid wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:43 pm
twohandsonestick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:55 am Touching on the Friday games since they're on the slate tomorrow. RIT wins their game effortlessly easily, covering a 15-20 goal spread in my opinion. They’ve been mostly dominant all year and are proven perennial contenders and Hope is no where close to playing at the same level.

The Denison vs. Babson game is an interesting one – Babson is filled with experienced players thanks to a senior laden class as well as a handful of grad students (clear advantage over teams that don’t offer the ability of a 5th year). The Beavers are putting together what’s been likely their best season in recent memory and are definitely deserving of a top 10-15 ranking. Denison has been a national powerhouse for 10+ years thanks to the consistent quality of play seen during those Caravana years. With a new coach at the helm, the program has seen 2 “down” years, and while still making NCAA postseason runs, doesn’t quite seem to be at the level it was a 3-4 years ago. No doubt it takes a few years for coaches to get their mark on a program as their own recruiting classes come to fruition and I expect Denison to continue to compete for national championships for years to come. This is what makes the 3pm game so interesting – Babson, the unproven new team on the block versus a well-regarded Denison program. I wouldn’t be surprised if Denison keeps it close despite their poor OOC performance this season. To me this is a battle tested team so I am taking Denison 14-11. Thoughts on Friday’s games?
Interesting take, I think Babson is the clear favorite here but with that said they have always been the underdog and now find themselves as the favorite against a hungry Denison team. Coach Eric Koch and the big red need a win against a ranked opponent or else this could be the first season in decades that the big red have gone without a ranked win.... they will need to come out flying for them to have a chance at stealing this one. Hearing rumors that Clyde Bresnahan might be healthy for this game which will give Denison some life from the midfield. With that being said Babson has some very impressive wins this season and has a deep bench that will make Denisons life difficult all game long. Babson will need to squash any life Denison has in the first quarter.

Really excited to watch St. Lawrence during this postseason. They have been dominant this year and have a couple of players who will be doing fifth and sixth years and some pretty big time Division one programs next year. I think when they meet Tufts in the elite 8 they are going to stomp on them. Tufts coach is more worried about his game day kicks and what he looks like on social media than actually bringing them to a national championship... apparent in their loss in the NESCAC tournament to Hamilton. Thoughts?
Babson's got some competition. Denison's not here to play games... well, actually, they are, but you know what I mean. And St. Lawrence sounds like they're ready to bring the heat. Let's hope Tufts' coach finds his game day kicks before it's too late. After all, style points only get you so far on the scoreboard!
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:40 pm
twohandsonestick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:28 pm
BallHunt wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:52 am
BallHunt wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:15 am Predictions

2nd Round winners (should get only a couple wrong)
RIT
Babson (too strong for Denison)
Dickinson
RPI (could be close because the fish hawks do that)
SLU
Tufts
Lynchburg
Bowdoin
Middlebury
Union
Wesleyan
Salisbury
CNU
W&L
Swarthmore (Endicott could make it close)
Stevens
3rd Round

Predictions in bold

RPI vs Bowdoin - I have seen both of these teams play and when they are clicking each could beat any other D3 team. This will not be a gimme game for RPI, but I don't think Bowdoin travels very well. Polar Bear's FOGO is excellent.

Dickinson vs Middlebury - I have seen Middlebury play and have watched Dickinson on video feeds. If the Red Devil's FOGO dominates they will have a good shot, but will have to beat the Panther zone D. I think Middlebury takes this game by a couple, #52 with several bombs.

Salisbury vs Swarthmore - If the Swarthmore youthful exuberance gets rolling they have a shot. But basically the Gulls.

Lynchburg vs W&L - Too bad these teams were not sprinkled elsewhere in the bracket, but if you gotta have a southern rematch this is a great one. I'm picking the Hornets by a couple.

RIT vs Babson - I have seen Babson this year, and they are strong. If they can get to the middle from up top they can score. Clearly, RIT is the favorite in this one but I think the game will be closer than comfortable. RIT by 3.

Christopher Newport vs Stephens - I have seen CNU this year and they can be stymied on offense. Watched the Dickinson-Stephens game earlier this year on the live feed and the Ducks can be assertive and score in bunches. This is my upset game, taking Stephens by a couple. If the CNU FOGO dominates completely I will be wrong.

Tufts vs Union - Union looked like a high school team at Bello earlier this season and could not handle the Jumbo's intensity. Not a repeat of that game, but Tufts cruises by several goals.

St Lawrence vs Wesleyan - I have not seen SLU at all this season, but have seen Wesleyan live and on video feed. Taking the Cards by 4.
I think you are spot on here other than the Stevens game. CNU takes that one by 4-5 goals
to be fair, he was talking about Stephens, and you are talking about stevens
Poor labelling on my part. "Stevens" the quack attack.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Lacrossefan25

Post by Lacrossefan25 »

Tactful Lax wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:20 pm Sorry, but CNU was seven and one. I am not going to tell you what years that my kids played, but that is fact. And CNU is eight and two in the last 10 times they have played them.

Before CNU starts talking about dominating teams, let’s highlight how Salisbury is 10-1 against CNU since 2021.
Straight domination.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

First Round Lock Bet

Wesleyan vs SJF

I'm taking the Cards ... bet it all.
twohandsonestick

The Stevenson v. Union game should be an absolute slugfest Saturday. The ‘Stangs led by Cantabene had just about the easiest path into the playoff picture given York’s demise in the conference tournament. They wiped the floor with Eastern but Stevenson’s shaky season has me wondering if they can compete with the high flying Dutchman offense. The unofficial rumor coming out of their camp is Sophomore, Seamus O'Neill, is back in action this weekend after being out all season which may be a pleasant surprise to lead Union to an unexpected win over Tufts on Sunday. He was apparently off to a hot start this fall running with the first line midfield but has been dealing with a nagging injury all spring.
twohandsonestick

Lacrossefan25 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:04 pm
Tactful Lax wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:20 pm Sorry, but CNU was seven and one. I am not going to tell you what years that my kids played, but that is fact. And CNU is eight and two in the last 10 times they have played them.

Before CNU starts talking about dominating teams, let’s highlight how Salisbury is 10-1 against CNU since 2021.
Straight domination.
Is it too late to say "CNU was a one-hit-wonder"? Watching them play all season makes it clear they had their fun for a few seasons but may be trending back to their earlier years.
Prepschoolkid

Post by Prepschoolkid »

twohandsonestick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:16 pm The Stevenson v. Union game should be an absolute slugfest Saturday. The ‘Stangs led by Cantabene had just about the easiest path into the playoff picture given York’s demise in the conference tournament. They wiped the floor with Eastern but Stevenson’s shaky season has me wondering if they can compete with the high flying Dutchman offense. The unofficial rumor coming out of their camp is Sophomore, Seamus O'Neill, is back in action this weekend after being out all season which may be a pleasant surprise to lead Union to an unexpected win over Tufts on Sunday. He was apparently off to a hot start this fall running with the first line midfield but has been dealing with a nagging injury all spring.
Union wins this game 15-8. Like the past couple of years all of Stevensons big wins have been at home, which makes sense one of the most electric atmospheres in all of college lacrosse. I remember playing in the Mustang classic back in the day watching them run out of the tunnel with the blow up Mustang and Fireworks hooting and hollerin. Unfortunately for Stevenson they will not have a production crew and their JV team on the sidelines to help them intimidate an experienced, SMART, and gritty team from Schenectady.
twohandsonestick

Prepschoolkid wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:28 pm
twohandsonestick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:16 pm The Stevenson v. Union game should be an absolute slugfest Saturday. The ‘Stangs led by Cantabene had just about the easiest path into the playoff picture given York’s demise in the conference tournament. They wiped the floor with Eastern but Stevenson’s shaky season has me wondering if they can compete with the high flying Dutchman offense. The unofficial rumor coming out of their camp is Sophomore, Seamus O'Neill, is back in action this weekend after being out all season which may be a pleasant surprise to lead Union to an unexpected win over Tufts on Sunday. He was apparently off to a hot start this fall running with the first line midfield but has been dealing with a nagging injury all spring.
Union wins this game 15-8. Like the past couple of years all of Stevensons big wins have been at home, which makes sense one of the most electric atmospheres in all of college lacrosse. I remember playing in the Mustang classic back in the day watching them run out of the tunnel with the blow up Mustang and Fireworks hooting and hollerin. Unfortunately for Stevenson they will not have a production crew and their JV team on the sidelines to help them intimidate an experienced, SMART, and gritty team from Schenectady.
You forgot they're likely weighed down by those baggy, camo getups that the team pretends are cool. Definitely doesn't help them in the warm Spring environment
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

twohandsonestick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:35 pm
Prepschoolkid wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:28 pm
You forgot they're likely weighed down by those baggy, camo getups that the team pretends are cool. Definitely doesn't help them in the warm Spring environment
stevenson has some talent, but they have only shown up to one game vs a team ranked higher then them. they just seem easily intimidated against better teams. union is beatable. but stevenson needs a perfect game.
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

Lacrossefan25 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:04 pm

Straight domination.
Ah yes, getting dominated by Salisbury disqualifies a team from being dominant against anyone else. Guess the other 244 teams in D3 should just shut it down. Let's delete all other threads on the forum and only talk about Salisbury while we're at it.

CNU racks up losses to Salisbury because they play them 2-3 times a season. No one else does. And no one else would do much better than getting "straight dominated" by Salisbury.

So tired of this lazy take.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

St Lawrence is over-rated. Wes is going to hand them a can of whoop arse and if they don't, then Tufts will. Winning 1 goal game in OT Is not dominate and besides RPI and RIT, Union the Liberty league is ghetto. Union is good but like someone said early - Tufts made them look like a bunch of high schoolers.

Hate to say it but the Tufts Head coach has the 3rd best winning percentage after Coon and Berkman over the last 8 years. That is pretty good company to be in. It took almost 11 years for Coon to win a championship because it aint easy. SLU has NO chance.
moral_arbiter

Post by moral_arbiter »

I'd just like to echo a previous post on the worth of a CNU degree, and to respond pointedly to those disparaging it.

I graduated class of 2015 and now sit as SVP, Finance for a healthy, well-performing pre-IPO Saas business. Salary isn't important, but my base is ~350k + 100% bonus. I hold responsibility for all FP&A, Accounting/Controls, and recently oversaw a massive off-shoring of our IT department leading to over $200m in company savings this past fiscal year. I say all of this not to brag, of course, but to call attention to the value of the education and training I received in my time at Christopher Newport; with unparalleled capacity for critical thought and problem solving, CNU's liberal arts cirriculum propelled me miles ahead of the competition upon graduation and provided bountiful cash.

To the group, let's keep this about lacrosse. I'm happy to talk more "offline" about CNU, my accomplishments, network, mentor, etc. Excited for a good weekend of lacrosse, or "Battagawway" as the Natives called it. Thanks all.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

twohandsonestick

ah23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:30 pm Image
Been a minute ah23. Shaping up for a good weekend of lacrosse. Any games you're looking forward to or have an eye on for upsets?
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Endicott will beat swarthmore this weekend. They are a complete team
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

The12lov3 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:02 pm

St Lawrence is over-rated. Wes is going to hand them a can of whoop arse and if they don't, then Tufts will. Winning 1 goal game in OT Is not dominate and besides RPI and RIT, Union the Liberty league is ghetto. Union is good but like someone said early - Tufts made them look like a bunch of high schoolers.

Hate to say it but the Tufts Head coach has the 3rd best winning percentage after Coon and Berkman over the last 8 years. That is pretty good company to be in. It took almost 11 years for Coon to win a championship because it aint easy. SLU has NO chance.
I would not write off SLU as a lock for Tufts. Tufts lost to Hamilton, was down by 8 at one point to Williams, had a close game with Colby. SLU played RIT tight as did Tufts, and also whooped up on Union. I think Tufts SLU would go down to the wire, 2 face paced offensive teams with athletes all over the field. I am a big fan of the Jumbos but SLU has just as good a chance at making it to MDW as Tufts. I would expect SLU to beat Wes, could even see them handling the Cardinals.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

StevieUAlum wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:43 am

I hated on Babson all year but they will handle Dension I think. 14-10 Babson.
Haters are just confused admirers - Biebs

Nice to see you come around.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

The12lov3 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:02 pm St Lawrence is over-rated. Wes is going to hand them a can of whoop arse and if they don't, then Tufts will. Winning 1 goal game in OT Is not dominate and besides RPI and RIT, Union the Liberty league is ghetto. Union is good but like someone said early - Tufts made them look like a bunch of high schoolers.
St. Lawrence is a very, very good team, but I’m not sure ‘dominant’ describes them very well. They’re a great defensive team that controls possession (#7 in TOP) by winning a ton of faceoffs (Condon is #6 nationally) and playing at one of D-III’s slowest paces (#224!). If they can drag Wesleyan/Tufts into one of those games, they can win. I think Tufts especially would be susceptible to getting frustrated and pressing if they don’t see the ball much and have trouble scoring overall. That’s a recipe for a 13-11 St. Lawrence win where Tufts has 25 turnovers.

However, if St. Lawrence gets into a back and forth game against either team or has to make up an early deficit…they’ll be in deep trouble. I don’t think they’re built to win those kinds of games.

Doesn’t mean they can’t make a run! Again: they’re a very good team. Just means they’re likely going to have to battle in every game after Plymouth State, especially given the offensive firepower in their way.

(The time it took to put this together will be very funny if St. John Fisher and Stevenson advance this weekend)
FosterLax3

Post by FosterLax3 »

ah23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:17 pm
The12lov3 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:02 pm St Lawrence is over-rated. Wes is going to hand them a can of whoop arse and if they don't, then Tufts will. Winning 1 goal game in OT Is not dominate and besides RPI and RIT, Union the Liberty league is ghetto. Union is good but like someone said early - Tufts made them look like a bunch of high schoolers.
St. Lawrence is a very, very good team, but I’m not sure ‘dominant’ describes them very well. They’re a great defensive team that controls possession (#7 in TOP) by winning a ton of faceoffs (Condon is #6 nationally) and playing at one of D-III’s slowest paces (#224!). If they can drag Wesleyan/Tufts into one of those games, they can win. I think Tufts especially would be susceptible to getting frustrated and pressing if they don’t see the ball much and have trouble scoring overall. That’s a recipe for a 13-11 St. Lawrence win where Tufts has 25 turnovers.

However, if St. Lawrence gets into a back and forth game against either team or has to make up an early deficit…they’ll be in deep trouble. I don’t think they’re built to win those kinds of games.

Doesn’t mean they can’t make a run! Again: they’re a very good team. Just means they’re likely going to have to battle in every game after Plymouth State, especially given the offensive firepower in their way.

(The time it took to put this together will be very funny if St. John Fisher and Stevenson advance this weekend)
From what I have seen this year from SLU, the part that makes me question their ability to make it to MDW is the fact they are constantly rotating attack and middies every shift. When you get to this part of the season, you need your best 6 offensive players in the game for about 75% of your offensive possessions and then bump in 4th attack and 2nd middie line as guys fatigue. I find when watching SLU there is way too much line scrambling on the offensive side where the top guys can't easily get into their flow early on and will find themselves in a hole. When Condon is going and their defense is playing as well as they have all season, if and once the SLU offense gets rolling they are a really good team. In the games that SLU has lost, their offense never got going as every shift there were 6 different guys out there. You've made it this far in the season, cut the constant switching and trust your horses.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”