Is anyone else sick and tired of the Kavanaghs?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
tech37

Re: Is anyone else sick and tired of the Kavanaghs?

Post by tech37 »

Wonder if ND played their best game of year too early yesterday?
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Yes....In the same way I was sick of the Powell's by the end
Bystanders

Post by Bystanders »

Def sick of them. But honestly it’s more the way Carc and others cover them / talk about them. Not their fault.

Unfort it looks like it will get worse from here over the next three weeks.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Bystanders wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:32 am Def sick of them. But honestly it’s more the way Carc and others cover them / talk about them. Not their fault.

Agree. This reminds me of the discussion of #22 on the Syracuse thread.
I get that announcers feel the need to get up close and personal, but let's focus on the field.
For example, last Memorial Day, Pat might have shown grit by playing, and maybe inspired his teammates, but I don't think he looked impactful to me.

But the hype is going to get worse, as on Sunday, they will be compared to the best lacrosse player in the world.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Pegasus6

Post by Pegasus6 »

A little bit. But very sick and tired of hearing certain ESPN broadcasters wetting their pants at every opportunity to tell us that they played hockey in high school or stories of them playing in their backyard. THAT is nauseating
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:08 am
Bystanders wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:32 am Def sick of them. But honestly it’s more the way Carc and others cover them / talk about them. Not their fault.

Agree. This reminds me of the discussion of #22 on the Syracuse thread.
I get that announcers feel the need to get up close and personal, but let's focus on the field.
For example, last Memorial Day, Pat might have shown grit by playing, and maybe inspired his teammates, but I don't think he looked impactful to me.

But the hype is going to get worse, as on Sunday, they will be compared to the best lacrosse player in the world.
Pats impact last championship was occupying AA Kenny Brower all day with a torn hamstring. Was honestly mind blowing that Dino didn’t sniff that out and change matchups throughout the day.

And assuming you’re referring to Oneill as the best player in the world (lol), theyve both outplayed him for 3 straight games dating back to last April.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

I would rather listen to carc quint anish & co. glaze whoever, over some bozo who doesnt know a lick about the sport and calls attackmen "attackers"

Maybe that is just me.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Right. What I'm sick of is Carc and Quint.
the_fish_whist1er

Post by the_fish_whist1er »

Jay Alter makes my ears bleed, doesn’t know a lick about the sport. Hope hes done after the conference games or else it will be a long May.
NYlax222

Post by NYlax222 »

I realize media desires to market the sport with 'names', (and think its good for expanding the sport) but i do agree that too often - especially Carc, and somewhat, QK (both of whom i think are great) overdo it with the hype over the stars in the sport - be in Kav, O'Neill, Shelly, etc. We all recognize - and appreciate - them as elite talents, but don't need the constant hype of them each game. Ironically, too often the announcers hyping them are games where, for whatever reason, they've had less of an impact than others.
\
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Yes, less time talking about 50 &51, as well as the other hot Carc/Quint hot topics not lax related. More time talking play by play, strategy and offensive/defensive sets. They know it but prefer illuminating their opinions
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

NYlax222 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:36 pm I realize media desires to market the sport with 'names', (and think its good for expanding the sport) but i do agree that too often - especially Carc, and somewhat, QK (both of whom i think are great) overdo it with the hype over the stars in the sport - be in Kav, O'Neill, Shelly, etc. We all recognize - and appreciate - them as elite talents, but don't need the constant hype of them each game. Ironically, too often the announcers hyping them are games where, for whatever reason, they've had less of an impact than others.
\
^ This post sums it up. Not the players fault that commentators keep regurgitating the same accolades . That's on them not the players

The incessant blabber about many players distracts and becomes nauseating to listen to .Find it best to lower the volume to best enjoy

Wish Ryan Powell broadcasted again despite his monotone voice because his focus was on the on field play He'd appreciate and cite how players were impacting and influencing game without all the superfluous hype.

As far as the Kavanuaghs, I watch ND games in part to watch and be entertained by P Kav skills and full out play, appreciate the impact of a productive selfless lead, expect he'll star at the next level and win a chip there too.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

To paraphrase PulpExposure comment on the subject a few weeks ago, it is the “ball gargling” that is so irritating. Doesn’t seem to be limited to the announcers either. Oh, and when did skilled players become “studs?” What the h$ll is that about?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

With Caitlin Clark, we've seen what a true superstar can do to transform a lesser viewed sport for a moment in time.

The problem is that a lot of the announcers are trying to manufacture that spark with the players today. It has to happen organically, like with the Gaits or Powells or the Thompsons. That spark can also happen with an entire team, like Navy in '04, and to a lesser extent Albany in '14.
tmast33

Post by tmast33 »

"The incessant blabber about many players distracts and becomes nauseating to listen to .Find it best to lower the volume to best enjoy".
When is network mgmt. going to actually watch and LISTEN to what is being presented. It's sad that so often contributors feel inclined to claim they have to adjust the sound to exclude the gibberish. How about actually knowing something about the "non" generational players who are actually out their winning most of these games. A hometown reference (other than Yorktown) would be a nice start. You want to grow interest, post line-ups and high schools/home towns at the start of each game. That would actually take some "homework" beyond what we get now. Does what so and so did 20 years ago, or where to get a sandwich really add to the enjoyment of what the young men on the field are doing?
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

This entire thread should be removed. A bunch of old washed up keyboard warriors talking about if they like certain student athletes is absurd. Get a life.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:01 am This entire thread should be removed. A bunch of old washed up keyboard warriors talking about if they like certain student athletes is absurd. Get a life.
Be quiet boomer. Go clutch your Kav pearls. It's hilarious the media just couldn't stfu about these brothers all year and dude fell to 5th. ESPN crew and Carc were just so visibly upset that the "Greatest Draft" and their heartthrob Kav blew up in their face. That was satisfying to watch.

If I have to hear one more time from ESPN that Kav "just plays like he's in the backyard" I'm going to lose it.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Hooz123 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:14 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:01 am This entire thread should be removed. A bunch of old washed up keyboard warriors talking about if they like certain student athletes is absurd. Get a life.
Be quiet boomer. Go clutch your Kav pearls. It's hilarious the media just couldn't stfu about these brothers all year and dude fell to 5th. ESPN crew and Carc were just so visibly upset that the "Greatest Draft" and their heartthrob Kav blew up in their face. That was satisfying to watch.

If I have to hear one more time from ESPN that Kav "just plays like he's in the backyard" I'm going to lose it.
You're gonna hate Final 4 weekend then...
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

tmast33 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:39 pm "The incessant blabber about many players distracts and becomes nauseating to listen to .Find it best to lower the volume to best enjoy".
When is network mgmt. going to actually watch and LISTEN to what is being presented. It's sad that so often contributors feel inclined to claim they have to adjust the sound to exclude the gibberish. How about actually knowing something about the "non" generational players who are actually out their winning most of these games. A hometown reference (other than Yorktown) would be a nice start. You want to grow interest, post line-ups and high schools/home towns at the start of each game. That would actually take some "homework" beyond what we get now. Does what so and so did 20 years ago, or where to get a sandwich really add to the enjoyment of what the young men on the field are doing?
Don't know how many of you keep ESPNU on after the lacrosse game and listen to a few innings of the college baseball or softball game that usually follows, but the same comments made of lax announcers can be made for those sports' announcers.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:20 am
Hooz123 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:14 am

You're gonna hate Final 4 weekend then...
I'm going to the Linc Final Four day,
hopefully UVA makes it again, check out the UVA co-eds - the UVA co-eds offset by far any ND Kavs negative bias.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”