Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by LaxDadMax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:01 am
spidey44 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:31 am Regarding Patriot League teams, are most of them fully funded (I have no idea). I had heard AU only had 4 scholarships for womens lacrosse. Again, no clue if that is true or not, but what someone told me...
Loyola is
As a Patriot league parent, I can give some perspective.

Well, Army and Navy don't give scholarships, all cadets/middies get paid.
Loyola is fully funded. Lehigh and BU are either fully funded or very close.
HC gives scholarships, but 50-60% percent of max
Colgate is historically close to 80%, however, they are still spending some $$ on girls who left the team due to coaching abuse so their numbers are a bit quirky.
Lafayette has very limited athletic aid.
No idea about Bucknell, but I know their men's team isn't close to fully funded and hit up parents for travel expenses.
No idea on American.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

In my admittedly limited experience some of the PL schools mentioned made some very questionable offers (certainly not all, as there are good players at all those schools). I didn’t see what they were seeing and I know I’m not the only person to have made that observation.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:40 am
spidey44 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:31 am Regarding Patriot League teams, are most of them fully funded (I have no idea). I had heard AU only had 4 scholarships for womens lacrosse. Again, no clue if that is true or not, but what someone told me...
Loyola is

Colgate is historically close to 80%, however, they are still spending some $$ on girls who left the team due to coaching abuse so their numbers are a bit quirky.
No idea about Bucknell, but I know their men's team isn't close to fully funded and hit up parents for travel expenses.
No idea on American.
Just to be clear, "fully funded" in this thread means having the entire 12 scholarships available to distribute among all the players versus a more limited number?
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

lacrossemwj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:35 am
Loyola is

No idea on American.
Just to be clear, "fully funded" in this thread means having the entire 12 scholarships available to distribute among all the players versus a more limited number?
Yes, that's what I was implying.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

laxfan22 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:18 am In my admittedly limited experience some of the PL schools mentioned made some very questionable offers (certainly not all, as there are good players at all those schools). I didn’t see what they were seeing and I know I’m not the only person to have made that observation.
What I can tell you about a few Patriot league schools (Lehigh, Lafayette, HC) is that their academic standards are as high, if not higher, than Ivies. They are def recruiting from a smaller pool than many.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

lacrossemwj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:35 am
Loyola is

No idea on American.
Yes and having 3 paid assistants as well.
gbswingames

Post by gbswingames »

Last year, in a bit of a surprise, UVA made a coaching change. Any rumblings of similar surprises out there this year?
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:23 pm
laxfan22 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:18 am In my admittedly limited experience some of the PL schools mentioned made some very questionable offers (certainly not all, as there are good players at all those schools). I didn’t see what they were seeing and I know I’m not the only person to have made that observation.
What I can tell you about a few Patriot league schools (Lehigh, Lafayette, HC) is that their academic standards are as high, if not higher, than Ivies. They are def recruiting from a smaller pool than many.
Challenge. Not higher than the Ivies. Avg. ACT scores @30 for NARPs , easier for athletes. Lots of schools in that camp
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

Give ma a break, what are those schools acceptance rates when compared to many of the better Lacrosse Schools ie NW, ND, UVA, Michigan etc. Higher than the Ivies is ridiculous.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

I am pretty confident that the great majority of girls that play high level lacrosse can get into almost all the schools that play mid to high level lacrosse on their own.

Lacrosse recruiting is more about what the coach is looking for/feeling … and some of these coaches are entirely unpredictable
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:08 pm I am pretty confident that the great majority of girls that play high level lacrosse can get into almost all the schools that play mid to high level lacrosse on their own.

Lacrosse recruiting is more about what the coach is looking for/feeling … and some of these coaches are entirely unpredictable
Disagree about these kids getting in on their own. The college admissions landscape is the wild wild west these days. Of the top 25 lacrosse schools, students are not getting into Boston College, Northwestern, UVA OOS, Florida OOS, Michigan OOS, Yale, Johns Hopkins, Penn, Princeton, Stanford, USC, or Harvard these days without a serious hook.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

lacrossemwj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:35 pm
BigRedChant wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:08 pm I am pretty confident that the great majority of girls that play high level lacrosse can get into almost all the schools that play mid to high level lacrosse on their own.

Disagree about these kids getting in on their own. The college admissions landscape is the wild wild west these days. Of the top 25 lacrosse schools, students are not getting into Boston College, Northwestern, UVA OOS, Florida OOS, Michigan OOS, Yale, Johns Hopkins, Penn, Princeton, Stanford, USC, or Harvard these days without a serious hook.
Yeah, I don't think some people realize how difficult it is to get into these schools. Not to mention the cost to attend most these schools is astronomical without $$ for lacrosse.
Acceptance Rates:
BC: 16%
Northwestern: 7%
UVA OOS: 13%
Florida OOS: 19%
Michigan OOS: 18%
Yale: 5%
Hopkins: 7%
Penn: 7%
Princeton: 6%
Stanford: 4%
USC: 12%
Harvard: 3%
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

lacrossemwj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:35 pm

100% agreed
Some of the schools have an out-of-state acceptance rate under 10%. The Ivy League schools are the toughest to get into, and I would tell you that the next toughest academically is probably the NESCAC schools.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Malcolm Gladwell- Many schools like Harvard were letting students in that "only had good grades"
When they found themselves among many kids with good grades they realized they were not the smartest in the classroom and took a huge self esteem hit which also affected their overall success in life.
What the research also found is that students that were good at "something else"...sports, music, arts, did not have a huge self esteem hit because they derived intrinsic value from something they loved not just class rank.

THAT IS WHY THEY HAVE HOLISTIC ADMISSIONS.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

ACClaxfan wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:56 pm
Give ma a break, what are those schools acceptance rates when compared to many of the better Lacrosse Schools ie NW, ND, UVA, Michigan etc. Higher than the Ivies is ridiculous.
For recruited athletes, it isn't. I can name one girl with a 28 ACT who had 2 Ivy Offers (Cornell, Columbia) but the coach couldnt get her into Lehigh. With Ivy Academic index, coaches are held to an average across a recruiting class. With some of the high academic Patriot schools, kids have to hit a minimum with no exceptions. So a superstar with low numbers can't be offset with a kid with 4.0/1600
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

So 12 schools are listed and some of these are the best schools in the country - and there are others highly thought of that are tough to get in

BUT - there is a certain kind of girl that is a high level player- and I do believe that most of these girls can get into a bunch of the top 20,30,40 rpi lax schools.

A lot of these girls that are able to afford the kind of club lax needed to be recruited at high level schools can pay for many of these schools too.

I don’t know why - but this whole “use lacrosse to get into a school” is mostly a lie we keep telling ourselves in the club lax world. I guess the awesome opportunity to play d1 lax isn’t good enough for some people.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:35 pm
For recruited athletes, it isn't. I can name one girl with a 28 ACT who had 2 Ivy Offers (Cornell, Columbia) but the coach couldnt get her into Lehigh. With Ivy Academic index, coaches are held to an average across a recruiting class. With some of the high academic Patriot schools, kids have to hit a minimum with no exceptions. So a superstar with low numbers can't be offset with a kid with 4.0/1600
Good grades for general students doesn’t make you special at an Ivy - they are looking for more. And I’m definitely biased (Go Big Red!) , but ivy or Lehigh has to be easiest choice in the world.
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

Nonsense. If you think getting an Athlete into Lehigh is harder than Princeton etc you have no idea . Your I know a kid thing is ridiculous , look at the Lehigh wrestling team I know a few kids who were not exactly top of their high school class.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:35 pm
Good grades for general students doesn’t make you special at an Ivy - they are looking for more. And I’m definitely biased (Go Big Red!) , but ivy or Lehigh has to be easiest choice in the world.
Real question. Is Lehigh that good of an academic school? If so that’s surprising because their lax is not stellar at all. I know Carnevale was a huge loss, but they weren’t great last year as well. Any decent team spanked them. I seen them play Army Navy and Loyola this year. Their main three are turnover machines. Hunt the goalie is spectacular though.
mb2024

Post by mb2024 »

Furman is getting a new women’s lacrosse head coach to he announced after their season concludes… D2 Anderson SC head coach got the job.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”