Be better Merrimack

D1 Mens Lacrosse
thoughtbot

Be better Merrimack

Post by thoughtbot »

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6G2E3mL1le/

This is totally unacceptable in todays game. Kudos to the AD at Mack but Coach Morgan and his staff need to take this incident seriously as well
MajorMacLax18

Re: Be better Merrimack

Post by MajorMacLax18 »

Anyone know what exactly happened?
thoughtbot

Post by thoughtbot »

Comment was passed during the scuffle in the third quarter that had Albanys staff running down the field to prevent players from getting into more of an altercation. Coach morgan laughed it off.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MajorMacLax18 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:07 am Anyone know what exactly happened?
here's for all the world what LOOKED like happened, especially in light of the instagram post:
haudenosaunee amos whitcomb had a real problem with what #16 merrimack said to him at the faceoff.
he jawed at him back, and the rest was just a tangential kerfuffle.

it also looks for all the world that marr was explaining to morgan the above. and then..
with 30 seconds left, an albany player grabs and tosses around #16, drawing a penalty for fighting.

so to me, merrimack coach was well aware what #16 allegedly said, and played him anyway. not a good look. actually, a terrible look.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:35 am
MajorMacLax18 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:07 am Anyone know what exactly happened?
here's for all the world what LOOKED like happened, especially in light of the instagram post:
haudenosaunee amos whitcomb had a real problem with what #16 merrimack said to him at the faceoff.
he jawed at him back, and the rest was just a tangential kerfuffle.

it also looks for all the world that marr was explaining to morgan the above. and then..
with 30 seconds left, an albany player grabs and tosses around #16, drawing a penalty for fighting.

so to me, merrimack coach was well aware what #16 allegedly said, and played him anyway. not a good look. actually, a terrible look.
How the heck is this happening in 2024? There is no place for this in our game. Let’s see how Merrimack responds.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Did something intense happen in last year's meeting between the two as well?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

MERRIMACK REMOVES PLAYER FOR RACIST REMARK TO INDIGENOUS OPPONENT

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... s-opponent
coda

Post by coda »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:31 am MERRIMACK REMOVES PLAYER FOR RACIST REMARK TO INDIGENOUS OPPONENT

I hate to see this stuff. I have seen plenty of it on different fields. I also think kicking the kid off is a bit extreme. I would be happy with 5am runs for a week and some throwing up.
DebitLaxPlayable

Post by DebitLaxPlayable »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:09 pm
AreaLax wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:31 am MERRIMACK REMOVES PLAYER FOR RACIST REMARK TO INDIGENOUS OPPONENT

I hate to see this stuff. I have seen plenty of it on different fields. I also think kicking the kid off is a bit extreme. I would be happy with 5am runs for a week and some throwing up.
I think it depends on what was said, and if it was an isolated occurrence or if it was going on all game and finally went overboard during the scuffle. Not sure if we’ll ever know the full story.

Also, if it was #16 as discussed above, he’s a senior so dismissal is essentially just a couple week suspension. bad situation all around.
coda

Post by coda »

DebitLaxPlayable wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 pm
coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:09 pm

I think it depends on what was said, and if it was an isolated occurrence or if it was going on all game and finally went overboard during the scuffle. Not sure if we’ll ever know the full story.

Also, if it was #16 as discussed above, he’s a senior so dismissal is essentially just a couple week suspension. bad situation all around.
I would probably guess the 2 were jawing at each other and it eventually got out of control, but I do not know so it could be completely warranted
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:09 pm I also think kicking the kid off is a bit extreme.
Imagine throwing around slurs directed at Native Americans at a lacrosse game, of all things. I'd have kicked him off my team for being such an unbelievable f/ckwit. I mean, seriously?!?
coda

Post by coda »

ICGrad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:36 pm
coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:09 pm I also think kicking the kid off is a bit extreme.
Imagine throwing around slurs directed at Native Americans at a lacrosse game, of all things. I'd have kicked him off my team for being such an unbelievable f/ckwit. I mean, seriously?!?
Been to places and had people chant go home Honkies (sp? ). That was from the fans. The field was much worse. I am not condoning it. I just dont want to see a kid's future put in doubt for saying stupid sh!t on the field. Again this is assuming this was a 1 time thing, not a pattern
thoughtbot

Post by thoughtbot »

Candidly Id like to hear more about what the athletics department and coaching staff are doing to address this issue. Nothing excuses the behavior of the individual and that person has been punished. The staff is who have set the culture that a young player thought it was ok to deliver such a remark - that would seem like the largest issue to me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:41 pm
Been to places and had people chant go home Honkies (sp? ). That was from the fans. The field was much worse. I am not condoning it. I just dont want to see a kid's future put in doubt for saying stupid sh!t on the field. Again this is assuming this was a 1 time thing, not a pattern
How long ago was that coda?

Certainly rampant back in my youth, but that was a long time ago.

Football was interesting, but the stuff said to me, spat at me, walking through the basement hallway lined with fans before a wrestling match at a mostly black, urban school was eye-opening...interestingly, got along great with the actual wrestlers. On the other hand, someone who will not be named, former AA wrestler, college President, friend of my dad, told me some 'tricks' to use including one that I rejected, 'when you get him down on his back, ask him whether his mother has any extra days'...I knew better; didn't laugh at what was probably intended just as a joke. We took inbound, but knew it was definitely not ok to throw that out.

And that was a long time ago.

There's plenty of trash talk that happens these days as my son will attest, and no sweat, but a racial slur goes way beyond the pale and really should be intolerable. They know better. Getting caught once in a game means that's something within the player's ready lexicon...despite knowing better.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

thoughtbot wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:12 pm
Candidly Id like to hear more about what the athletics department and coaching staff are doing to address this issue. Nothing excuses the behavior of the individual and that person has been punished. The staff is who have set the culture that a young player thought it was ok to deliver such a remark - that would seem like the largest issue to me.
Agreed.
If the culture has not been right, are they working mightily to change it.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

This.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:55 pm
This.
Not in the slightest trying to excuse it but if it was a one off, just because he said it I wouldn't jump to say that he thought it was OK to say. Many of us have seen players (or even done so themselves) lose their cool in a chippy game and retaliate with a rough or even dirty hit. I wouldn't say that meant that you thought it was OK or right or that you have excessive violence in your physical lexicon. It would mean your synmpathetics were firing off and you had a moment of flash anger. In such instances you don't think over whether doing something is a good idea or not, decide it is acceptable and then do it. You just do it and then regret it. We all try to minimize such instances verbally and not have any physically in our lives but it happens. Should he be punished? Yes. Thrown off the team? No. He would not have been thrown off the team for a late hit to the head. If it was pattern then yes but throwing someone off the team for a one time verbal error, no matter how egregious is too much.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:37 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:55 pm
This.
Not in the slightest trying to excuse it but if it was a one off, just because he said it I wouldn't jump to say that he thought it was OK to say. Many of us have seen players (or even done so themselves) lose their cool in a chippy game and retaliate with a rough or even dirty hit. I wouldn't say that meant that you thought it was OK or right or that you have excessive violence in your physical lexicon. It would mean your synmpathetics were firing off and you had a moment of flash anger. In such instances you don't think over whether doing something is a good idea or not, decide it is acceptable and then do it. You just do it and then regret it. We all try to minimize such instances verbally and not have any physically in our lives but it happens. Should he be punished? Yes. Thrown off the team? No. He would not have been thrown off the team for a late hit to the head. If it was pattern then yes but throwing someone off the team for a one time verbal error, no matter how egregious is too much.
Great point.

Joe
coda

Post by coda »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:15 pm
coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:41 pm
How long ago was that coda?

Certainly rampant back in my youth, but that was a long time ago.

Football was interesting, but the stuff said to me, spat at me, walking through the basement hallway lined with fans before a wrestling match at a mostly black, urban school was eye-opening...interestingly, got along great with the actual wrestlers. On the other hand, someone who will not be named, former AA wrestler, college President, friend of my dad, told me some 'tricks' to use including one that I rejected, 'when you get him down on his back, ask him whether his mother has any extra days'...I knew better; didn't laugh at what was probably intended just as a joke. We took inbound, but knew it was definitely not ok to throw that out.

And that was a long time ago.

There's plenty of trash talk that happens these days as my son will attest, and no sweat, but a racial slur goes way beyond the pale and really should be intolerable. They know better. Getting caught once in a game means that's something within the player's ready lexicon...despite knowing better.
I have no issues punishing the kid. I offered up a week of 5 am runs. I just think a kid losing his cool and saying something he should not have isn’t worthy of throwing him off the team and perhaps the school. Not everything needs to be handled in the media. This is under my assumptions that these 2 were likely chirping at each other through out the game. If it is a habit, that is another issue. Now you have people thinking the kid is a racist and the coaches are allowing a racist culture. I am not sure it needed to go this level
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

Should be forced to walk naked through campus with someone ringing a bell behind him yelling, “Shame.”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”