Be better Merrimack

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxfan1414

Re: Be better Merrimack

Post by Laxfan1414 »

thoughtbot wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:12 pm
ICGrad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:36 pm
coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:09 pm I also think kicking the kid off is a bit extreme.
Imagine throwing around slurs directed at Native Americans at a lacrosse game, of all things. I'd have kicked him off my team for being such an unbelievable f/ckwit. I mean, seriously?!?
Candidly Id like to hear more about what the athletics department and coaching staff are doing to address this issue. Nothing excuses the behavior of the individual and that person has been punished. The staff is who have set the culture that a young player thought it was ok to deliver such a remark - that would seem like the largest issue to me.
Tell that to Coach Pressler. Give me a break.

Everyone sharpen the pitchforks. Let’s ruin some peoples lives because of something that allegedly was said during a lacrosse game.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:58 pm I just think a kid losing his cool and saying something he should not have isn’t worthy of throwing him off the team and perhaps the school.
I mean, I dunno. Saying something in anger is different than throwing racial slurs around. You do that to get under people's skin, to get a rise out of people. Well, he certainly got a rise out of people.

Not saying he should necessarily be thrown off the team, but maybe something more than running some extra laps, too? A suspension for a game or two (which in this case is the same thing).

I mean, I was what, 9? when I learned you don't throw racial slurs at people, unless you're looking to throw down. This is a 21 year old man (assuming he's a senior, as the article indicated); he knew what he was saying and he did it to provoke and undermine his opponent.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:09 pm I also think kicking the kid off is a bit extreme.
Imagine throwing around slurs directed at Native Americans at a lacrosse game, of all things. I'd have kicked him off my team for being such an unbelievable f/ckwit. I mean, seriously?!?
Candidly Id like to hear more about what the athletics department and coaching staff are doing to address this issue. Nothing excuses the behavior of the individual and that person has been punished. The staff is who have set the culture that a young player thought it was ok to deliver such a remark - that would seem like the largest issue to me.
Morgan in his 17th season and now it's the culture...
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Hindsight's 20/20. This was posted early in this thread as to what happened:
thoughtbot wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:29 am Comment was passed during the scuffle in the third quarter that had Albanys staff running down the field to prevent players from getting into more of an altercation. Coach morgan laughed it off.
If true, and I have no reason to don't it isn't, a few opportunities were missed. So the comment happened in the third, and the fight happened late in the fourth.

This could have all blown over had Morgan taken the third quarter incident more seriously. Maybe a player apology between players immediately after the third quarter incident? Sitting the player for the rest of the game and letting both teams know why?

College is still time for teaching moments.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxfan1414 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:47 pm Should be forced to walk naked through campus with someone ringing a bell behind him yelling, “Shame.”
Then go get comfort from a one handed sibling while blowing up a building with priests and your enemies...
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:58 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:15 pm
coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:41 pm
Been to places and had people chant go home Honkies (sp? ). That was from the fans. The field was much worse. I am not condoning it. I just dont want to see a kid's future put in doubt for saying stupid sh!t on the field. Again this is assuming this was a 1 time thing, not a pattern
How long ago was that coda?

Certainly rampant back in my youth, but that was a long time ago.

Football was interesting, but the stuff said to me, spat at me, walking through the basement hallway lined with fans before a wrestling match at a mostly black, urban school was eye-opening...interestingly, got along great with the actual wrestlers. On the other hand, someone who will not be named, former AA wrestler, college President, friend of my dad, told me some 'tricks' to use including one that I rejected, 'when you get him down on his back, ask him whether his mother has any extra days'...I knew better; didn't laugh at what was probably intended just as a joke. We took inbound, but knew it was definitely not ok to throw that out.

And that was a long time ago.

There's plenty of trash talk that happens these days as my son will attest, and no sweat, but a racial slur goes way beyond the pale and really should be intolerable. They know better. Getting caught once in a game means that's something within the player's ready lexicon...despite knowing better.
I have no issues punishing the kid. I offered up a week of 5 am runs. I just think a kid losing his cool and saying something he should not have isn’t worthy of throwing him off the team and perhaps the school. Not everything needs to be handled in the media. This is under my assumptions that these 2 were likely chirping at each other through out the game. If it is a habit, that is another issue. Now you have people thinking the kid is a racist and the coaches are allowing a racist culture. I am not sure it needed to go this level
Yes, it certainly matters whether there is a pattern of behavior. Or definitely not, totally out of character.

Let's step back...none of us know exactly what happened, one slur or repeated slurs, whether there's a pattern of such, or whether there's any sort of looking the other way from coach etc. Nor whether there's real remorse etc. Or vice versa.

so, we're really just talking hypotheticals.

My gut is that when something like that is anywhere near the surface, it's typically not isolated to one event. "chirping" happens all the time, trash talking is frequent, things can get chippy, but none of that need bring that kind of slur out of nowhere. At a very minimum, there's a serious issue that running ball busters doesn't address on their own.

Which doesn't mean that the right answer is off the team, much less out of school, but obviously it alone is a super serious violation that needs to be addressed more deeply than just through punishment, especially if the player is remaining with team, graduating etc. But regardless, teaching and learning opportunity, including that there are repercussions to errors in judgment.

Likewise, I think the concern about coach etc is right to have, though we don't know the facts of what he knew or didn't know, when, what he did or did not do...so, no conclusions...but concern and attention to that question is reasonable.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

No one wants to say this but in light of countless well publicized episodes over the past several year, the lacrosse community in particular should also sensitive to the fact that what we seem to have (and this is obviously moot if I am wrong on this which I certainly could be) is one person's word that something was said. MDlax is right that we don't know if it was one time or repeated, but it must be said that we don't really know if it was said at all. None of us were there, none of us heard anything, none of us know any of the people involved. If is happened its obviously abhorrent, everyone agrees on that, probably not a topic that needs repeated belaboring.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I'll start by saying I have "no dog in this fight" - I do not know the Merrimack coaches at all. I do know that the HC has been at the helm for 17 years. That is a long time for a coach and I would think that he has been doing the right thing because he has been there this long.

I also know that racism in any form is not OK in our game. The player should be punished - there are consequences for his behavior.

But now you are putting this on the HC and his culture? A HC should be responsible for what a player says on the field. Is that same coach responsible for what his players say at a party or at a bar? I just don't like the fact that people would go after someone who has had a long career coaching for what one of his players said.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Man who cares about the poor Merrimack kid's future. He'll be fine. No one is saying to throw him in jail. If he is contrite and makes an effort to do and be better then there's no reason this will ruin his life. But the behavior needs to be removed from the sport entirely. Zero tolerance.

From what I have seen, neither Merrimack nor anyone associated with the program has denied the allegation that a racist taunt was made. I would take the Albany player's word for it regardless. This sport has a lot of work to do and the problem seems to be getting worse, not better. The plague of lacrosse burner accounts and trolls on social media is fostering a really toxic environment for young players. Instagram and especially Twitter are in a much worse place than they were just a few years ago.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:18 pm
I'll start by saying I have "no dog in this fight" - I do not know the Merrimack coaches at all. I do know that the HC has been at the helm for 17 years. That is a long time for a coach and I would think that he has been doing the right thing because he has been there this long.

I also know that racism in any form is not OK in our game. The player should be punished - there are consequences for his behavior.

But now you are putting this on the HC and his culture? A HC should be responsible for what a player says on the field. Is that same coach responsible for what his players say at a party or at a bar? I just don't like the fact that people would go after someone who has had a long career coaching for what one of his players said.
Coaches who take the view that their concerns and responsibilities stop off the field have not done well including some long time coaches. Coaches need their teams to be good citizens and succeed in the classrooms however that is defined.

One coach put it “your career is dependent on the performance and behavior of a group of 18-22 year olds.

No dog here either
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:23 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:18 pm

Coaches who take the view that their concerns and responsibilities stop off the field have not done well including some long time coaches. Coaches need their teams to be good citizens and succeed in the classrooms however that is defined.

One coach put it “your career is dependent on the performance and behavior of a group of 18-22 year olds.

No dog here either
no one said a coach stopped their concerns and responsibilities off the field. if anyone did, they likely don't know what they're talking about to any 1st hand degree.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Coach Morgan built a program that was mid D2 into dominance. Mack has been hamstrung by silly NCAA and conference restrictions about opting up a division. They have been scrapping and clawing for relevance. The man can coach.

His teams play tough, with a chip on their shoulders. If anyone saw their games vs LeMoyne or Adelphi there was an edge to those battles. They never backed down.

So now they are playing a chippy game vs an Albany team that plays the same way with conference tourney implications at home.

In the heat of a battle in a scrum, a dumb, heated scrap takes place. STILL NO EXCUSE for a 21 year old kid in a fight to slur a racial slur, but I imagine there were lots of words thrown each way.

Mack's coaches and admin took a swift and immediate response.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

One of our volunteer coaches allegedly said “why does that trigger you”? In a box game, ref heard something else, reported it to school. Young man was thrown off staff, no trial, no jury, done. Personally I believe he said trigger but you never know. People get very offended quickly and some for good reason, some not so much.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:48 pm Coach Morgan built a program that was mid D2 into dominance. Mack has been hamstrung by silly NCAA and conference restrictions about opting up a division. They have been scrapping and clawing for relevance. The man can coach.

His teams play tough, with a chip on their shoulders. If anyone saw their games vs LeMoyne or Adelphi there was an edge to those battles. They never backed down.

So now they are playing a chippy game vs an Albany team that plays the same way with conference tourney implications at home.

In the heat of a battle in a scrum, a dumb, heated scrap takes place. STILL NO EXCUSE for a 21 year old kid in a fight to slur a racial slur, but I imagine there were lots of words thrown each way.

we don't know if an alleged slur started the scrum or was within it. this all started at a timeout, in the restraining box, as a faceoff was happening. it's on espn+. we don't know if before that a lot of words were exchanged each way. was it chipppy? not sure why that matters.

also as of now, what has been public info is that the haudenosaunee thanked just the merrimack administration for taking action, and the albany coaches for following thru. and the next day, a press release from the school.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 pm
Gorilla Fan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:48 pm Coach Morgan built a program that was mid D2 into dominance. Mack has been hamstrung by silly NCAA and conference restrictions about opting up a division. They have been scrapping and clawing for relevance. The man can coach.

we don't know if an alleged slur started the scrum or was within it. this all started at a timeout, in the restraining box, as a faceoff was happening. it's on espn+. we don't know if before that a lot of words were exchanged each way. was it chipppy? not sure why that matters.

also as of now, what has been public info is that the haudenosaunee thanked just the merrimack administration for taking action, and the albany coaches for following thru. and the next day, a press release from the school.
"was it chipppy? not sure why that matters."

I agree... "STILL NO EXCUSE for a 21 year old kid in a fight to slur a racial slur",
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:54 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 pm

"was it chipppy? not sure why that matters."

I agree... "STILL NO EXCUSE for a 21 year old kid in a fight to slur a racial slur",
was it chippy? i didn't watch the game prior to the incident. there was an ibc in the 1st, from then on just a trip, hold, and offside down to the 4 minute mark of the 3rd. that doesn't sound chippy, but maybe the refs let a lot go. i didn't see it. i replied because it looked like you set up a lot of scenarios that didn't seem accurate and that seem to excuse it away, even though they either didn't happen or we don't know if they did.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Never "excused it away"

" i replied because it looked like you set up a lot of scenarios that didn't seem accurate and that seem to excuse it away, even though they either didn't happen or we don't know if they did."

Huh? Scenarios I set up?

I have no dog on this fight... rarely get in back in forths.

Out.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Which is why coaches should discourage trash-talking and referees should discourage chippiness. They can escalate into cheap shots and fighting. Better to put a lid on it early.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Boy this kid is wrong and it’s not good but refs should discourage choppiness seems a long way from training warriors. We’ve made this game the way that we’ve made pets useless in the wild.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:11 pm Boy this kid is wrong and it’s not good but refs should discourage choppiness seems a long way from training warriors. We’ve made this game the way that we’ve made pets useless in the wild.
I was thinking the same thing. We’ve taken a ritualized warfare training activity and turned it into something else.

However, probably better else one or more would have ended ip with no teeth. Oh wait, box lacrosse.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”