Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Brownlax

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by Brownlax »

PicLax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:59 pm JT Thompson has got to be seriously considered. Not only a smart hire of a great coach (who his players love) with ties to Brown as a former player, but also poetic justice from the NESCAC / Ivy community after how he was treated at Amherst. I know his current one-year stint as OC at UNC might not be a resume highlight, but don’t think you can pin UNC’s woes and under-performing on JT. Think he would do a tremendous job in both recruiting and coaching at Brown, much like he did at Amherst.
Re-posting from the Brown thread:

JT is a great guy. He got screwed by Amherst - plain and simple.

He also got screwed by former Brown AD who failed to interview him for the Brown job after Lars left. Only one person was interviewed for the job - Daly. Old AD did not even call JT or email him to say they would be going in a different direction.

That is not the way to handle a search process and not a way to handle a truly loved Brown alumnus. JT was not happy with how he was treated.

Maybe with a new AD he might consider coming back home. I'm hoping Brown conducts a true, nationwide search for the best candidate.
coda

Post by coda »

JerrysWorld wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:40 pm
sguy9 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:48 pm Interesting development. My short list of calls:

Jon Thompson, UNC, Brown Alum
Ryan Wellner, Notre Dame
Neil Hutchinson, Harvard
Kyle Georgalas, Army
Mike Abbott, Penn
I mean Harvard didn’t even make the ILT, with more talent than Brown. Wellner would be my pick from this list.
Wellner had prior success, but I would always be wary of hiring assistants that succeed under HC’s with the same focus (defense). I would spend the whole interview asking him about his plan on offense.
X-Lax

Post by X-Lax »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:21 pm
X-Lax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:09 pmCrawley? Hop
If any Hopkins assistant coach gets a HC position, I would think Koesterer would be more likely.

DocBarrister
Defense was not the issue so Crawley makes more sense.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:22 pm Re-posting from the Brown thread:

JT is a great guy. He got screwed by Amherst - plain and simple.

He also got screwed by former Brown AD who failed to interview him for the Brown job after Lars left. Only one person was interviewed for the job - Daly. Old AD did not even call JT or email him to say they would be going in a different direction.

That is not the way to handle a search process and not a way to handle a truly loved Brown alumnus. JT was not happy with how he was treated.

Maybe with a new AD he might consider coming back home. I'm hoping Brown conducts a true, nationwide search for the best candidate.
IMO, zero chance Brown goes near JT. It simply does not matter what the facts about Amherst are, the original accusations are still online, and right now is the absolute worst possible time (as I write, there is a front-page story about Brown at nytimes.com) to open up any sort of new controversy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:04 am
JustPassingThrough wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:29 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:05 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:35 am

Mearns is retiring there
Ehhh. Not sure about this one. If he were to "retire," I don't think it'd be by choice.

Bonnies just got a new AD so I'm not sure if he'll be thrilled with the 0-5 (x2) conference record. Or the 2-24 combined record after the past two seasons.
Yep. If they don't get a conference win soon, I don't know if the decision will be his. In addition, they need to soon at least become more competitive in several conference games that they may end up losing.
"Get a conference win" is a tough climb in the A-10 for Bonnies. They went from club to D1 in 2019, were winless the first two years, then lost in MAAC semis and finals in 2021 and 2022 (granted, it was with a PLL-caliber goalie).

The other five teams in the A-10 have all been ranked in the last three seasons (even Hobart), and have stronger products to sell to recruits. They'd be in the mix in the MAAC or could get some OOC wins by scheduling an easier slate, but that's not their fate.
Utah also went from Club to D1 in 2019 and they're on their second coach doing pretty well. I know its a different school with different support, but still...

Bonnies went 11-4 in 2022. They lost 12-11 to St Joes that year, and then lost 18-9 a year later in 2023. This year it was 14-0 at halftime... 24-3 final. Bonnies are declining rapidly. The only win of the year is against Canisius who didn't make the Maac tourney.
Have you seen Brett Dobson (now Ga Swarm starting goalie)? Look at Bellarmine record w Dillon Ward and the years around that.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Crawley will be a head coach someday, but not sure this is the right timing or fit. He's still very young. Got plenty of time.
JerrysWorld wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:40 pm I mean Harvard didn’t even make the ILT, with more talent than Brown. Wellner would be my pick from this list.
That's not really on Hutchinson. Their offense is #11 in adjusted efficiency this year. In their Ivy league losses, the defense gave up 17, 14, 15, and 15 goals. Not much you can do with that. If you're looking for someone 1) with Ivy experience 2) a realistic option and might actually take the job if offered, there's not going to be many better candidates than that. Jeremy Hirsch at Princeton also fits the bill as someone already mentioned but I think he's less likely to leave.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:52 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:14 am
Laxbuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:09 am
10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:55 am Hens coming to the A-10 next year ?

Bonnies will have to deal with that additional competition.
While it makes sense I would be surprised if Delaware is in the A-10 next year
I think they're aiming for 2026
If they expand the NCAA tournament to 24 I could see this happening. When AQ is the only realistic hope of making the tournament, SJU and Richmond were close for at large consideration this year, bringing in Delaware makes winning the A-10 AQ that much more difficult. Would think Big East teams feel the same way about it.
They’re enjoy not going to out 1/3 of teams in the playoffs unless NCAA completely disappears. You’ll hear the same form others. Forget the target but it’s like 20-24% (I have 16-17% in my head for some reason) in proportion of postseason to programs. We have low 70s and for every add we lose a limdenwood, presby, Furman. So you really are just praying when you say you could see this happening.

Now would ncaa approve a for profit program to put on an NIT like tourney? Would colleges w liability go for it? For all these early season double headers you’d think a Corrigan sports who’s all inbred would try to get a money making NIT style tourney adopted for the next next 12-18 teams.
See Martin, Malcolm
X-Lax

Post by X-Lax »

lilax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:46 pm
courtdog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:45 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:50 pm Woo boy that press release is short.

Some thoughts on Brown. Just spitballing/pure speculation:

Kip Turner - UVA assistant
Mason Poli - Quinnipiac HC
Ryan Wellner - Notre Dame DC
Mike Silipo - BU OC
Chris Gabrielli - Bryant assistant
Neil Hutchinson - Harvard OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

I don't see many sitting head coaches that make much sense. I suppose Galloway could throw his hat in the ring as he's done for several other jobs. Maybe Colgate's surprisingly good season gets Karweck's name thrown in the pile
If that is there list then they have big problems in Providence minus maybe Wellner
Who's a bigger name than those guys who is a realistic option? All ears
I’ve been told Brown pays pretty well, has a good budget and has more relaxed academic standards compared to many of the other Ivys.

I could see it generating good interest from top 15 to 30 heard coaches.
Jordan Stevens a possibility?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

X-Lax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:32 pm
lilax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:46 pm
courtdog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:45 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:50 pm Woo boy that press release is short.

Some thoughts on Brown. Just spitballing/pure speculation:

Kip Turner - UVA assistant
Mason Poli - Quinnipiac HC
Ryan Wellner - Notre Dame DC
Mike Silipo - BU OC
Chris Gabrielli - Bryant assistant
Neil Hutchinson - Harvard OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

I don't see many sitting head coaches that make much sense. I suppose Galloway could throw his hat in the ring as he's done for several other jobs. Maybe Colgate's surprisingly good season gets Karweck's name thrown in the pile
If that is there list then they have big problems in Providence minus maybe Wellner
Who's a bigger name than those guys who is a realistic option? All ears
I’ve been told Brown pays pretty well, has a good budget and has more relaxed academic standards compared to many of the other Ivys.

I could see it generating good interest from top 15 to 30 heard coaches.
Jordan Stevens a possibility?
I think Corrado would bounce for the right situation despite his tenure at nova. He’s an open minded guy. Used to working with less resources and not a huge academic gap recruiting wise like a Galloway /

If you’re going to flake Galloway why wouldn’t you throw McMinn and Tylor Wray in there? Similar styles to recruiting
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Pat Myers is known to be a worse climber than Cassesse but while he’s be looking for prettier girls he probably would do a good job stabilizing the base and building it back at brown .
See Martin, Malcolm
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:01 pm People have mentioned John Galloway of Jacksonville as a possibility for Brown. IF he leads the Dolphins to their first ever conference tournament title and NCAA Tournament appearance soon, maybe he would decide to "strike while the iron is hot" if Brown looked at him? If Syracuse is his dream job, doesn't look like it will be opening anytime soon.
His grotesque approach to roster building won’t work in the Ivy Leagues.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:26 pm

If they expand the NCAA tournament to 24 I could see this happening. When AQ is the only realistic hope of making the tournament, SJU and Richmond were close for at large consideration this year, bringing in Delaware makes winning the A-10 AQ that much more difficult. Would think Big East teams feel the same way about it.
They’re enjoy not going to out 1/3 of teams in the playoffs unless NCAA completely disappears. You’ll hear the same form others. Forget the target but it’s like 20-24% (I have 16-17% in my head for some reason) in proportion of postseason to programs. We have low 70s and for every add we lose a limdenwood, presby, Furman. So you really are just praying when you say you could see this happening.

Now would ncaa approve a for profit program to put on an NIT like tourney? Would colleges w liability go for it? For all these early season double headers you’d think a Corrigan sports who’s all inbred would try to get a money making NIT style tourney adopted for the next next 12-18 teams.
Didn’t suggest they would go to 24. I think it’s crazy not to as competitive as the teams btw 15-25 are these days. More May lacrosse please. Attendance is exploding. Cash in on it.
Why would a conference add an Uber competitive team without an expanded NCAA tourney?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

There's always that rumor that Dan Chemotti is waiting for Dino to retire at Duke, but Brown would be really smart to kick the tires on him. Started his coaching career at Dartmouth.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:24 pm Crawley will be a head coach someday, but not sure this is the right timing or fit. He's still very young. Got plenty of time.
JerrysWorld wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:40 pm I mean Harvard didn’t even make the ILT, with more talent than Brown. Wellner would be my pick from this list.
That's not really on Hutchinson. Their offense is #11 in adjusted efficiency this year. In their Ivy league losses, the defense gave up 17, 14, 15, and 15 goals. Not much you can do with that. If you're looking for someone 1) with Ivy experience 2) a realistic option and might actually take the job if offered, there's not going to be many better candidates than that. Jeremy Hirsch at Princeton also fits the bill as someone already mentioned but I think he's less likely to leave.
Im
Hoping Hirsch is being circled by Hobart - hoping
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:01 pm People have mentioned John Galloway of Jacksonville as a possibility for Brown. IF he leads the Dolphins to their first ever conference tournament title and NCAA Tournament appearance soon, maybe he would decide to "strike while the iron is hot" if Brown looked at him? If Syracuse is his dream job, doesn't look like it will be opening anytime soon.
Galloway approach fits better at a Syracuse than an Ivy program
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:00 pm

Didn’t suggest they would go to 24. I think it’s crazy not to as competitive as the teams btw 15-25 are these days. More May lacrosse please. Attendance is exploding. Cash in on it.
Why would a conference add an Uber competitive team without an expanded NCAA tourney?
Full members (in theory) are more stable than associate members. Risk Mgt ton maintain an aq.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:13 pm There's always that rumor that Dan Chemotti is waiting for Dino to retire at Duke, but Brown would be really smart to kick the tires on him. Started his coaching career at Dartmouth.
Can’t imagine chemotti would leave Richmond for any Ivy program seriously but I i suppose doesn’t hurt to get a no. Same w Polley. They founded those programs remember. And have had success. You don’t leave that for anything but an elite opportunity

Andy Baxter could be interesting though..
See Martin, Malcolm
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Age considerations- for any of the openings?
Corrado to Brown is interesting, he's close to 60 y.o.

I think younger is the way to go.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:42 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:13 pm There's always that rumor that Dan Chemotti is waiting for Dino to retire at Duke, but Brown would be really smart to kick the tires on him. Started his coaching career at Dartmouth.
Can’t imagine chemotti would leave Richmond for any Ivy program seriously but I i suppose doesn’t hurt to get a no. Same w Polley. They founded those programs remember. And have had success. You don’t leave that for anything but an elite opportunity

Agree

Andy Baxter could be interesting though..
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:40 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:00 pm

Full members (in theory) are more stable than associate members. Risk Mgt ton maintain an aq.
True. 7 is an insurance policy but at what cost? Would that prompt HP or Hobart to look for another conference?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”