Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
lilax

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by lilax »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:46 pm
courtdog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:45 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:50 pm Woo boy that press release is short.

Some thoughts on Brown. Just spitballing/pure speculation:

Kip Turner - UVA assistant
Mason Poli - Quinnipiac HC
Ryan Wellner - Notre Dame DC
Mike Silipo - BU OC
Chris Gabrielli - Bryant assistant
Neil Hutchinson - Harvard OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

I don't see many sitting head coaches that make much sense. I suppose Galloway could throw his hat in the ring as he's done for several other jobs. Maybe Colgate's surprisingly good season gets Karweck's name thrown in the pile
If that is there list then they have big problems in Providence minus maybe Wellner
Who's a bigger name than those guys who is a realistic option? All ears
I’ve been told Brown pays pretty well, has a good budget and has more relaxed academic standards compared to many of the other Ivys.

I could see it generating good interest from top 15 to 30 heard coaches.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

JT Thompson has got to be seriously considered. Not only a smart hire of a great coach (who his players love) with ties to Brown as a former player, but also poetic justice from the NESCAC / Ivy community after how he was treated at Amherst. I know his current one-year stint as OC at UNC might not be a resume highlight, but don’t think you can pin UNC’s woes and under-performing on JT. Think he would do a tremendous job in both recruiting and coaching at Brown, much like he did at Amherst.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

lilax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm

Mike Silipo - BU OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

I don't see many sitting head coaches that make much sense. I suppose Galloway could throw his hat in the ring as he's done for several other jobs. Maybe Colgate's surprisingly good season gets Karweck's name thrown in the pile
If that is there list then they have big problems in Providence minus maybe Wellner
I’ve been told Brown pays pretty well, has a good budget and has more relaxed academic standards compared to many of the other Ivys.

I don't necessarily disagree in theory but when you go through the list of top 15-30 head coaches, I don't think a lot of them actually make much practical sense. Maybe...Wray, Polley, Karweck, Galloway, Torpey. But would still bet the guy does not come from that group
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Wouldn't be surprised if Jesse Bernhardt got a look. Spent some time at Princeton, so he's familiar with the Ivy.

I've always been really impressed by the work that Keegan Wilkinson has done at Marist.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:00 pm

Mike Silipo - BU OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

I don't necessarily disagree in theory but when you go through the list of top 15-30 head coaches, I don't think a lot of them actually make much practical sense. Maybe...Wray, Polley, Karweck, Galloway, Torpey. But would still bet the guy does not come from that group
I would at McMinn at Utah to the list of coaches that I would at least kick the tires on. Went from RoMo to Utah and has done a good job. Played his college ball at Providence. Could add Benson to that list also.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Mike Silipo - BU OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

Gabrielli didn't do great in the big east so not sure he would fare any better in the Ivy. Harvard didn't even make the ILT. Poli has had 1 good year, if he can consistently do that, then yes give him a look. Kip ok. Wellner yes. Ikeda, yes. Silipo maybe
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Hearing UDM is going for a whole new staff
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

courtdog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:41 pm

Mike Silipo - BU OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

Gabrielli didn't do great in the big east so not sure he would fare any better in the Ivy. Harvard didn't even make the ILT. Poli has had 1 good year, if he can consistently do that, then yes give him a look. Kip ok. Wellner yes. Ikeda, yes. Silipo maybe
Pat March - Cuse
Georgalis - Army
Bernhardt - MD
Wellner - ND
Turner - UVA
Petro - UNC

If your going to go to the AC route.
coda

Post by coda »

courtdog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:47 pm

Mike Silipo - BU OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

Pat March - Cuse
Georgalis - Army
Bernhardt - MD
Wellner - ND
Turner - UVA
Petro - UNC

I think you got the wrong Cuse assistant. I would call Odierna first. You could argue he is the biggest reason for the turn around this year (that and faceoffs)
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Crossposting from my Brown thread comment

I can guarantee a deep and quality pool of applicants: search committee letter heading:
Come to Brown! Do well here and you can win multiple Natties at Virginia!
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

coda wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:50 pm
courtdog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:47 pm

Mike Silipo - BU OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

Pat March - Cuse
Georgalis - Army
Bernhardt - MD
Wellner - ND
Turner - UVA
Petro - UNC

I think you got the wrong Cuse assistant. I would call Odierna first. You could argue he is the biggest reason for the turn around this year (that and faceoffs)
Agreed. The Brown struggles on offense made me think of that but you are probably right.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

PicLax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:59 pm JT Thompson has got to be seriously considered. Not only a smart hire of a great coach (who his players love) with ties to Brown as a former player, but also poetic justice from the NESCAC / Ivy community after how he was treated at Amherst. I know his current one-year stint as OC at UNC might not be a resume highlight, but don’t think you can pin UNC’s woes and under-performing on JT. Think he would do a tremendous job in both recruiting and coaching at Brown, much like he did at Amherst.
Who would you pin UNC’s underperforming offense on? I would think with the amount of talent on the roster, you’d expect an offensive efficiency higher than 34th in the country. All the other ACC schools are in the top 7.

They added #1 recruit Duffy who had a fantastic season, had Petro return from injury and set the freshman goals record, returned all main offensive contributors from the previous year, and their offensive efficiency fell from 34.2% to 30.3%.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:03 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:00 pm

Mike Silipo - BU OC
Casey Ikeda - Penn DC

I would at McMinn at Utah to the list of coaches that I would at least kick the tires on. Went from RoMo to Utah and has done a good job. Played his college ball at Providence. Could add Benson to that list also.
I would be surprised if Coach Benson from neighboring Providence didn’t get at least some consideration.

Two national championships as an OC at two premier programs. Learned the game from two of the best … Tillman and Petro. Has done a fine job at Providence in a short period of time.

Also knows about rigorous academic demands … although we’re talkin’ about Brown here. ;)

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

People have mentioned John Galloway of Jacksonville as a possibility for Brown. IF he leads the Dolphins to their first ever conference tournament title and NCAA Tournament appearance soon, maybe he would decide to "strike while the iron is hot" if Brown looked at him? If Syracuse is his dream job, doesn't look like it will be opening anytime soon.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

courtdog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:47 pm Pat March - Cuse
Georgalis - Army
Bernhardt - MD
Wellner - ND
Turner - UVA
Petro - UNC

I doubt Petro would leave UNC now that his kids are there, unless that whole staff is let go (which is possible).

March makes some sense having coached in the Ivy League and in the New England area.

Georgalas' name seems to get brought up every time there's a moderately attractive opening. Would be a good option but not sure how interested he is in leaving West Point.
X-Lax

Post by X-Lax »

Crawley? Hop
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Kirwan jumped for Dartmouth a year too early. He would be a natural fit at Brown.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

X-Lax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:09 pmCrawley? Hop
If any Hopkins assistant coach gets a HC position, I would think Koesterer would be more likely.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

MAYBE a HC from a midmajor could be enticed but HC or AC it should be someone with Ivy experience to know how the recruiting/admission process works for the league.
Previous Brown experience as coach or player? Who's out there? Kirwan won't. Turner? Anyone of note from Tiffany's previous ACs? Those teams didn't accomplish anything. Thompson's one year at UNC has been *meh*, and the Amherst stuff, undeserved as it was, is out there.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

sguy9 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:48 pm Interesting development. My short list of calls:

Jon Thompson, UNC, Brown Alum
Ryan Wellner, Notre Dame
Neil Hutchinson, Harvard
Kyle Georgalas, Army
Mike Abbott, Penn
I mean Harvard didn’t even make the ILT, with more talent than Brown. Wellner would be my pick from this list.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”