Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
get it to x

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by get it to x »

Looked over Chemotti's bio on the Spider's website. No mention of a wife. If he has one, has she made friends in Richmond? Are they somewhat settled in? Is the quality of life better than Providence? I see Brown as close to a lateral move. Better conference, less chance of getting in the dance.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

get it to x wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:33 pm Looked over Chemotti's bio on the Spider's website. No mention of a wife. If he has one, has she made friends in Richmond? Are they somewhat settled in? Is the quality of life better than Providence? I see Brown as close to a lateral move. Better conference, less chance of getting in the dance.
Coach Chemotti is married, wife has a well established career in Charlottesville.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:47 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:45 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:46 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:01 pm Chemotti pulled out of the running for the Hopkins gig in 2020 and got an extension (and likely pay bump) out of it. I don't think anything has changed at either Richmond or Brown since then to suggest this is the job he'd leave for. I bet he stays where he is unless Duke comes calling. Richmond's got a good thing going — yes they are generally AQ or bust every year, but that's an AQ they are usually the favorites to win. Good school, good location, good job security...he's in a good spot. Again, unless The Big Job shows interest.

I think Brown is looking at hiring a high-end assistant (likely with Ivy experience at some point). I really don't think the number of current D1 head coaches who would be a smart hire and would also be interested in the job is very high. They've pretty much all been listed in this thread already. There are a couple guys who are looking for a status upgrade/higher-profile job and are seemingly up for every remotely intriguing opening. Cassese was one of them before he left for UVA.
Still thinking Baxter
His tenure at Fairfield hasn't been awful but it's not screaming out "this is a guy who needs a bigger job." They're 27-33 since he took over and finish between 4th and 6th in the CAA each year — about exactly what they were doing in the three years before he was hired. This is a program that is capable of CAA titles and NCAA tourney appearances...they haven't sniffed that. He might be interested in Brown but I dunno if it'll be mutual.
What was Tillman’s record at Harvard? 20-19 with IL top classes to boot. Fairfield was falling sort forward towers left that place in shambles if you talk to anyone invoked.
Towers was an assistant at Fairfield and he hasn't been there in 20 years. Do you mean Copelan? Things definitely tailed off for him at the end, but there was a stretch from 2009 to 2016 where they had a winning record every year and were very competitive in conference. They nearly made the NCAAs as an at-large in 2012 at 12-4 with the #11 RPI.

Copelan's last three years were bad (5-9, 4-11, 5-9) hence the coaching change, but Baxter hasn't exactly elevated things a whole lot. Alternating okay years with bad ones. They're a bit better this year than last — at least they made the CAA tourney field — but they're still losing to teams like Sacred Heart, getting destroyed by Bryant, and not beating anyone you wouldn't expect them to. There are other mid-major HCs who have flashed more upside.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

EasyRider wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:52 pm
get it to x wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:33 pm Looked over Chemotti's bio on the Spider's website. No mention of a wife. If he has one, has she made friends in Richmond? Are they somewhat settled in? Is the quality of life better than Providence? I see Brown as close to a lateral move. Better conference, less chance of getting in the dance.
Coach Chemotti is married, wife has a well established career in Charlottesville.
Thank you for filling in the missing info!!
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:57 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:47 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:45 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:01 pm Chemotti pulled out of the running for the Hopkins gig in 2020 and got an extension (and likely pay bump) out of it. I don't think anything has changed at either Richmond or Brown since then to suggest this is the job he'd leave for. I bet he stays where he is unless Duke comes calling. Richmond's got a good thing going — yes they are generally AQ or bust every year, but that's an AQ they are usually the favorites to win. Good school, good location, good job security...he's in a good spot. Again, unless The Big Job shows interest.

I think Brown is looking at hiring a high-end assistant (likely with Ivy experience at some point). I really don't think the number of current D1 head coaches who would be a smart hire and would also be interested in the job is very high. They've pretty much all been listed in this thread already. There are a couple guys who are looking for a status upgrade/higher-profile job and are seemingly up for every remotely intriguing opening. Cassese was one of them before he left for UVA.
Still thinking Baxter
His tenure at Fairfield hasn't been awful but it's not screaming out "this is a guy who needs a bigger job." They're 27-33 since he took over and finish between 4th and 6th in the CAA each year — about exactly what they were doing in the three years before he was hired. This is a program that is capable of CAA titles and NCAA tourney appearances...they haven't sniffed that. He might be interested in Brown but I dunno if it'll be mutual.
What was Tillman’s record at Harvard? 20-19 with IL top classes to boot. Fairfield was falling sort forward towers left that place in shambles if you talk to anyone invoked.
Towers was an assistant at Fairfield and he hasn't been there in 20 years. Do you mean Copelan? Things definitely tailed off for him at the end, but there was a stretch from 2009 to 2016 where they had a winning record every year and were very competitive in conference. They nearly made the NCAAs as an at-large in 2012 at 12-4 with the #11 RPI.

Copelan's last three years were bad (5-9, 4-11, 5-9) hence the coaching change, but Baxter hasn't exactly elevated things a whole lot. Alternating okay years with bad ones. They're a bit better this year than last — at least they made the CAA tourney field — but they're still losing to teams like Sacred Heart, getting destroyed by Bryant, and not beating anyone you wouldn't expect them to. There are other mid-major HCs who have flashed more upside.
Yeah Hobart shared a conference w Fairfield that entire time so very families but I did misspeak with towers / Copeland. They literally had a top scoring senior quit (take a red shirt year) and a few other issues. The culture was messy.

I don’t love him but he has done enough with a bad situation is my answer to your question. Tillman walked into an easier situation by far. Has the of background. It’s the in between you’d be looking at here if you don’t like finger tenured HC options and not thrilled with a first time HC.

BTW Bryant destroyed BU this year in Boston - a decent team that beta army and barely lost to Duke the following week.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

Question - if Brown is interested in someone who ends up playing in the NCAA tournament, do they have to wait til the prospective coaches season ends before they can talk?
LinSudblax

Post by LinSudblax »

Andy Kopelan: As he delved deeper into his role within the PLL, he became increasingly disheartened by the organization's skewed priorities. Instead of fostering an environment that nurtured the players' talents and upheld the sport's values, he witnessed a relentless pursuit of online clicks and media hype. The focus shifted from the game itself to the spectacle surrounding it, with little regard for the athletes who dedicated their lives to lacrosse.

Absolutely, Brown University could indeed be an ideal fit for someone like Andy Koplan. Known for its strong lacrosse program and commitment to both academic excellence and athletic development, Brown offers the perfect environment for someone with Andy's background and values.

At Brown, Andy could channel his passion for lacrosse into cultivating the next generation of talented players. As a coach or mentor, he could instill in them not only the skills needed to excel on the field but also the values of sportsmanship, integrity, and respect that are integral to the game.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

LinSudblax wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:49 pm Andy Kopelan: As he delved deeper into his role within the PLL, he became increasingly disheartened by the organization's skewed priorities. Instead of fostering an environment that nurtured the players' talents and upheld the sport's values, he witnessed a relentless pursuit of online clicks and media hype. The focus shifted from the game itself to the spectacle surrounding it, with little regard for the athletes who dedicated their lives to lacrosse.

Absolutely, Brown University could indeed be an ideal fit for someone like Andy Koplan. Known for its strong lacrosse program and commitment to both academic excellence and athletic development, Brown offers the perfect environment for someone with Andy's background and values.

At Brown, Andy could channel his passion for lacrosse into cultivating the next generation of talented players. As a coach or mentor, he could instill in them not only the skills needed to excel on the field but also the values of sportsmanship, integrity, and respect that are integral to the game.
Based on Copelan's record at Fairfield U, I'd imagine Brown won't be interested.
LinSudblax

Post by LinSudblax »

FannOLax wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:58 pm
LinSudblax wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:49 pm Andy Kopelan: As he delved deeper into his role within the PLL, he became increasingly disheartened by the organization's skewed priorities. Instead of fostering an environment that nurtured the players' talents and upheld the sport's values, he witnessed a relentless pursuit of online clicks and media hype. The focus shifted from the game itself to the spectacle surrounding it, with little regard for the athletes who dedicated their lives to lacrosse.

Based on Copelan's record at Fairfield U, I'd imagine Brown won't be interested.

Indeed, past performance doesn't guarantee future outcomes. People change, circumstances evolve, and new challenges arise. Someone leaving and experiencing growth elsewhere can be a testament to this ex: PLL. It's a reminder that individuals have the capacity to learn, adapt, and improve, often influenced by their environment, experiences, and personal development.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Baxter would be a better option. Someone younger (than either) probably Brown's best bet.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Andrew Stimmel is out as Marquette head coach

https://x.com/college_crosse/status/178 ... EO2hFStaxg
Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

Who will be on Marquettes short list?
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Laxinmay wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:50 am Who will be on Marquettes short list?
Think these are logical bets:

Ryan Wellner
John Odierna
Jon Thompson
John Galloway
Andrew McMinn
Stephen Brundage
Justin Ward
John Orsen

Curious to see if Coach Stimmel lands at Navy.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

EasyRider wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:00 am

Ryan Wellner
John Odierna
Jon Thompson
John Galloway
Andrew McMinn
Stephen Brundage
Justin Ward
John Orsen

Could he end up back at Yale? Or -He's a Pittsburgh guy- there are a ton of d3 teams in Western PA- maybe he finds a long term home there? I always thought W&J should be a lacrosse school- but they have never really put it together.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Ryan Wellner
John Odierna
Jon Thompson
John Galloway
Andrew McMinn
Stephen Brundage
Justin Ward
John Orsen

This list above looks good, but I am not sure they can recruit some of these cats to Milwaukee. They need a young offensive-oriented coach. They ranked #59 in offensive production with 10.0 goals a game. A perfect fit for Marquette, which is a Catholic Private University, would be someone like Scott Beida. Great character guy who can recruit and develop players on offense. From everything that I have seen and read about him, he walks the walk. Marquette could use that.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

backerzone wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:20 am

Ryan Wellner
John Odierna
Jon Thompson
John Galloway
Andrew McMinn
Stephen Brundage
Justin Ward
John Orsen

Could he end up back at Yale? Or -He's a Pittsburgh guy- there are a ton of d3 teams in Western PA- maybe he finds a long term home there? I always thought W&J should be a lacrosse school- but they have never really put it together.
There are a ton of D3 teams in Western PA, but none of them are any good. If he wants a leafy, low-stress existence, then maybe that's the place for him. I could see heading a D3 program with more tradition yet fallen onto tough times, say Nazareth or Ohio Wesleyan. I too was wondering if he might end up back at Yale; his time there was a wildly successful period for Yale.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

How about Fairfield's Jon Basti or Cleveland State's Andy German possibly to Marquette?
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Basti is a CT guy...not sure he wants to uproot his family etc...although more money could change things....

Talk about fighting for your job though...great to see him do well after some very rough years...
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Mercer went in the opposite direction this year. I am not sure if it is Danehy or his assistants but they looked promising in 2023. I saw them play UNC early and looked improved from last year but as the season went on I watched them get embarrassed by Bobby Mo and take 3 OTs to beat Queens.
Turnandrake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:32 pm

Still thinking Baxter
Maybe Danehy from Mercer.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Time to recognize Coach Conry as a top-tier HC.

It would be a mistake to attribute Michigan’s consecutive runs (2023-2024) to B1G tournament championships to having their backs against the wall.

Conry has built very good teams that play physically and aggressively all over the field.

He hasn’t built a HOF resume yet, but he is clearly one of the best HCs in the game today.

And Michigan itself? Say what you will, but Go Blue is now an elite college lacrosse program.

Congratulations to Coach Conry and the Wolverines.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”