Cuse at BC, 4/18 @ 1700 hrs

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Cuse at BC, 4/18 @ 1700 hrs

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

tothedraw wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:44 am
laxlaxlax wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 pm That Natalie Smith shot :cry: what an opportunity, I bet she loses sleep over that one tonight…
I was almost shocked. W I D E open inside the 8 and she basically handed it to Dolce.
I would say Nat shoots side arm a lot which can be easy to track and not very fast.
No question that she didn't meet the moment. Bear in mind these are kids playing a game. My guess is she was shocked to be as open in the 8 as she was. Adamson, ET, EW all pretty much can that shot. And Dolce made the stop. Still, a great game, two good teams, with many errors across the length of the game.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:46 am
tothedraw wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:44 am
laxlaxlax wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 pm That Natalie Smith shot :cry: what an opportunity, I bet she loses sleep over that one tonight…
I was almost shocked. W I D E open inside the 8 and she basically handed it to Dolce.
I would say Nat shoots side arm a lot which can be easy to track and not very fast.
No question that she didn't meet the moment. Bear in mind these are kids playing a game. My guess is she was shocked to be as open in the 8 as she was. Adamson, ET, EW all pretty much can that shot. And Dolce made the stop. Still, a great game, two good teams, with many errors across the length of the game.
Didn't intend to pile on. My comment was more about how she tends to shoot and I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been corrected by coaches. Natalie is tough as nails and absolutely crucial to SU success.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Natalie Smith's Shot in OT

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Let's have another few looks, shall we?

DMac

Re: Natalie Smith's Shot in OT

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:10 am Let's have another few looks, shall we?
Yeah, that's a good idea. Let's rub some salt in the wound of this gal who is without question still in a ton of emotional pain and in a dizzying spin (been in her spot X2 at about her age, I know what it does to you) from the nasty curveball life threw at her.
Absolutely classless move, particularly when it comes from the classic kind of critic who wasn't good enough to make a HS team.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:10 am Let's have another few looks, shall we?

"Everybody can make a big deal of that one single play, but not one single play wins a basketball game or loses a basketball game." -- Paige Brueckers

And please STOP. Just STOP.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:12 am
Yeah, that's a good idea. Let's rub some salt in the wound of this gal who is without question still in a ton of emotional pain and in a dizzying spin (been in her spot X2 at about her age, I know what it does to you) from the nasty curveball life threw at her.
Absolutely classless move, particularly when it comes from the classic kind of critic who wasn't good enough to make a HS team.
+1000
OuttaNowhereWregget

Please point out the salt. Please point out a single conclusion reached in the questions I posed earlier. Or in the clip itself.

(Additionally--where is the balance, DMac? "this gal who is without question still in a ton of emotional pain and in a dizzying spin" ?? You're overwrought.)
OuttaNowhereWregget

What salt? Stop what?

For the record, I've seen shots like this go in. I don't think it was a bad shot. Dolce made a great save--one she had to move for. No shame there.

Folks were continuing to talk about the shot so, voilà, the actual shot itself to watch from a few different angles and speeds to continue to analyze.

You're welcome.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:04 pm
Please point out the salt. Please point out a single conclusion reached in the questions I posed earlier. Or in the clip itself.

(Additionally--where is the balance, DMac? "this gal who is without question still in a ton of emotional pain and in a dizzying spin" ?? You're overwrought.)
He’s not “overwrought.”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Your needing an explanation is pitiful.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:38 pm

Your needing an explanation is pitiful.
The fact that you have none is what's pitiful. Blown all out of proportion. But then what else is new. And for a regular season game, too.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Move on from this topic is the message being sent. I'm sorry I added to this thread.
Much love to NS.
One play does not make a game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Still scratching my head as to what the big deal was with discussing Natalie Smith's shot in overtime. I think the worst thing that got said was speculation that she didn't put enough speed on the shot. Does anyone seriously think that she would read the comments made about the shot opportunity she had and be crushed? This is a pristine example of what I referred to previously as Chicken Little Mentality. The sky did most certainly not fall on Natalie Smith because she didn't score on her opportunity in overtime. Big deal. She got the shot on goal. She made the goaltender move for the shot in order to make the save. What's there to criticize? What's there to shame? Or regret? Overwrought Orange fans making a tempest in a tea cup about a relatively meaningless regular season game. Nothing to see here...
2004wrongisland

Post by 2004wrongisland »

In my view, the issue isn’t that she missed a shot. We all do and have. It’s why. She missed the shot because she was stationary. She should have been cutting down to that right pipe where she would have been on on one from 2-3 yards out. If a current player watches the clip and understands that, maybe they score when they are in that situation next.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:08 am Still scratching my head as to what the big deal was with discussing Natalie Smith's shot in overtime. I think the worst thing that got said was speculation that she didn't put enough speed on the shot. Does anyone seriously think that she would read the comments made about the shot opportunity she had and be crushed? This is a pristine example of what I referred to previously as Chicken Little Mentality. The sky did most certainly not fall on Natalie Smith because she didn't score on her opportunity in overtime. Big deal. She got the shot on goal. She made the goaltender move for the shot in order to make the save. What's there to criticize? What's there to shame? Or regret? Overwrought Orange fans making a tempest in a tea cup about a relatively meaningless regular season game. Nothing to see here...
Why is she overwrought? Her dad died unexpectedly 2 weeks ago and she’s playing on pure emotion and grit. Give the kid a break.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

2004wrongisland wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:46 am In my view, the issue isn’t that she missed a shot. We all do and have. It’s why. She missed the shot because she was stationary. She should have been cutting down to that right pipe where she would have been on on one from 2-3 yards out. If a current player watches the clip and understands that, maybe they score when they are in that situation next.
Exactly. With all the time and room she had, there was no reason she couldn’t have run it in until she was basically on top of the crease and could’ve shot normally (overhand) and it most likely would’ve gone in. There was no reason for her to be stationary and shoot a wild sidearm shot that ended up being placed stick-side high which made the goalie’s job much easier. Obviously you can never point to one single play as being the reason why a team lost. But obviously that was a pivotal one.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

laxer12 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:58 am
2004wrongisland wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:46 am In my view, the issue isn’t that she missed a shot. We all do and have. It’s why. She missed the shot because she was stationary. She should have been cutting down to that right pipe where she would have been on on one from 2-3 yards out. If a current player watches the clip and understands that, maybe they score when they are in that situation next.
Exactly. With all the time and room she had, there was no reason she couldn’t have run it in until she was basically on top of the crease and could’ve shot normally (overhand) and it most likely would’ve gone in. There was no reason for her to be stationary and shoot a wild sidearm shot that ended up being placed stick-side high which made the goalie’s job much easier. Obviously you can never point to one single play as being the reason why a team lost. But obviously that was a pivotal one.
My god - read the room already and give the kid a break with what she’s dealing with.

How many of you commenting on her have even played at her level.
2004wrongisland

Post by 2004wrongisland »

I have. And I’ve coached for 40+ years.

If you read my post carefully, I indicate that “ we all do and have” missed a shot. The point of my post was not to blame or criticize her on missing the shot. I didn’t and don’t blame her. The point was not to discuss that she didn’t score but to discuss why.

I’m a new poster. I assume that current players, college or high school , may follow these forums. Maybe, I’m wrong. Maybe all the people who follow these forums don’t play and never did and don’t know or care about fundamentally sound lacrosse. But maybe just one current player will now understand why the shot was missed, and more importantly, know the fundamentally sound way to execute in that situation. And succeed.

That’s what coaches are supposed to do.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

2004wrongisland wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:45 pm I have. And I’ve coached for 40+ years.

If you read my post carefully, I indicate that “ we all do and have” missed a shot. The point of my post was not to blame or criticize her on missing the shot. I didn’t and don’t blame her. The point was not to discuss that she didn’t score but to discuss why.

I’m a new poster. I assume that current players, college or high school , may follow these forums. Maybe, I’m wrong. Maybe all the people who follow these forums don’t play and never did and don’t know or care about fundamentally sound lacrosse. But maybe just one current player will now understand why the shot was missed, and more importantly, know the fundamentally sound way to execute in that situation. And succeed.

That’s what coaches are supposed to do.
If you think players are reading these forums, then read what I wrote and understand what she is dealing with.

Do you think she wants to read these comments right now?

“read the room”
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:39 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:08 am Still scratching my head as to what the big deal was with discussing Natalie Smith's shot in overtime. I think the worst thing that got said was speculation that she didn't put enough speed on the shot. Does anyone seriously think that she would read the comments made about the shot opportunity she had and be crushed? This is a pristine example of what I referred to previously as Chicken Little Mentality. The sky did most certainly not fall on Natalie Smith because she didn't score on her opportunity in overtime. Big deal. She got the shot on goal. She made the goaltender move for the shot in order to make the save. What's there to criticize? What's there to shame? Or regret? Overwrought Orange fans making a tempest in a tea cup about a relatively meaningless regular season game. Nothing to see here...
Why is she overwrought? Her dad died unexpectedly 2 weeks ago and she’s playing on pure emotion and grit. Give the kid a break.
Poor kid, sending love to her and her family. It puts it all into perspective that lacrosse is just a game and there are more important things going on in many people’s lives. Kudos to her for even still playing, many wouldn’t.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”