Coaches On The Hot Seat 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Coaches On The Hot Seat 2024

Post by gymman1031 »

Multiple head coaches are feeling heat. But that doesn’t mean they will lose their jobs.
BigTurn

Re: Coaches On The Hot Seat 2024

Post by BigTurn »

Breschi is the obvious answer. Feel that Gary is not many years removed from that… just wait till Mark is gone next year. My hottest take would be Nick Myers - big time athletic program, has done next to nothing there. Also no clue what the current sentiment on Daly is in Bear country, but he’s overseen the decline from a F4 team to a toilet bowl.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 pm Breschi is the obvious answer. Feel that Gary is not many years removed from that… just wait till Mark is gone next year. My hottest take would be Nick Myers - big time athletic program, has done next to nothing there. Also no clue what the current sentiment on Daly is in Bear country, but he’s overseen the decline from a F4 team to a toilet bowl.
Myers, since taking over at Ohio State in 2009, has led the Buckeyes to four NCAA Tournament appearances. However, since the title game showing in 2017, things have been inconsistent. OSU has only made the postseason once, and they lost in the First Round.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 pm My hottest take would be Nick Myers - big time athletic program, has done next to nothing there.
That's not really a hot take. The issue is after their playoff appearance in 2022, they gave him an extension through the 2027 season. Probably shouldn't have done that, but they did. I doubt they eat the full three years remaining on that contract. They have a new AD so you never know but he also has bigger fish to fry than lacrosse. If in June 2026 it's been more of the same no one's going to be surprised if they eat the final year and move on. But not sure about before then.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:20 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 pm My hottest take would be Nick Myers - big time athletic program, has done next to nothing there.
That's not really a hot take. The issue is after their playoff appearance in 2022, they gave him an extension through the 2027 season. Probably shouldn't have done that, but they did. I doubt they eat the full three years remaining on that contract. They have a new AD so you never know but he also has bigger fish to fry than lacrosse. If in June 2026 it's been more of the same no one's going to be surprised if they eat the final year and move on. But not sure about before then.
I’m admittedly not tuned into the osu fan base, but haven’t heard anyone calling for his head, which I would’ve for several years now if I had played there or was a fan… that’s all aside from stories ive heard about his conduct towards high schools kids who flip commitments.

Understand contractual obligations muddy things, but that 5 year extension is wild imo. Guy gets paid $336k to lose in the first round every few years.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:24 pm
I’m admittedly not tuned into the osu fan base, but haven’t heard anyone calling for his head, which I would’ve for several years now if I had played there or was a fan… that’s all aside from stories ive heard about his conduct towards high schools kids who flip commitments.

Understand contractual obligations muddy things, but that 5 year extension is wild imo.
Might as well be JV Tennis. Nobody cares at OSU. And Myers got the facility built so he obviously knows some money players. Indifference will keep him there for a while.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 pm Feel that Gary is not many years removed from that…
Doubtful
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:15 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 pm Feel that Gary is not many years removed from that…
Doubtful
Head on over to the Syracuse fan board. Frustration is building.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:34 pm

Understand contractual obligations muddy things, but that 5 year extension is wild imo.
Might as well be JV Tennis. Nobody cares at OSU. And Myers got the facility built so he obviously knows some money players. Indifference will keep him there for a while.
https://twitter.com/OSU_AD/status/1779654260294058237
The outgoing OSU athletic director was at the game last night. He had other places he could've been, like at the Masters with Jack watching Buckeye Neal Shipley.

I'll let you decide whether Tierney has met the Danowski standard at Hofstra which feels like it should be better than it's been.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstra_P ... s_lacrosse

There's a nifty graphic there you can play around with to see who has and hasn't made the tournament lately.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Divi ... tournament
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Danowski was on thin ice w Hofstra. The thought then was Hofstra was not keeping enough home grown talent home. The Duke story breaks and Danowski gets hired ar Duke.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Understand contractual obligations muddy things, but that 5 year extension is wild imo. Guy gets paid $336k to lose in the first round every few years.
I don’t see lacrosse being a major priority at The Ohio State University. As long as Myers keeps his team out of scandal, he’s probably fine.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
CU77

Post by CU77 »

As a native Ohioan, I suspect the only thing that matters for lax at OSU (not the ridiculous tOSU, a relatively recent pretentious affectation) is if Michigan starts doing better on a regular basis.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Funny thing about OSU is that the correct way to pronounce the whole thing the Ohio STATE University, not THE Ohio State University. This was to distinguish it from the much older Ohio University. OSU was originally a land grant/mechanical school, and the “State” was to distinguish it from OU which was chartered by Congress basically as a means of civilizing Ohio. The whole tOSU thing is born of ignorance of the past, as is so much of the modern age. Doubt Myers is getting fired any time soon though recent results are nothing to cheer at given the resources there.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:42 pm
Doubtful
I can assure you, none of us on the Syracuse fan board has any control over Gait's future.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

I wonder if Seth Tierney wants to do it at Hofstra anymore. Now that he is Team USA coach - he can focus on that and the PLL.

I just don’t think Athletic Directors care as much as we do on fan lax about getting rid of coaches. Especially at the big schools.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

JerrysWorld wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:09 am I wonder if Seth Tierney wants to do it at Hofstra anymore. Now that he is Team USA coach - he can focus on that and the PLL.

I just don’t think Athletic Directors care as much as we do on fan lax about getting rid of coaches. Especially at the big schools.
AD's don't care about wins at a lot of these places as long as the kids graduate and don't get in trouble.
Last edited by xxxxxxx on Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Powellfan22 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:04 am
Doubtful
I can assure you, none of us on the Syracuse fan board has any control over Gait's future.

The best poster there imo is a poster here, JeremyCuse. I don’t know if ‘Powellfan’ there is you, but if so, also great follow.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Doubtful
I never said they did. But when there is dissatisfaction with performance around the program, it puts pressure on an AD to make a decision.
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:55 am

I don’t see lacrosse being a major priority at The Ohio State University. As long as Myers keeps his team out of scandal, he’s probably fine.

DocBarrister
The new OSU lacrosse facility cost $25 million. Conry (Michigan) was on death door last year, until the Big 10 tournament run. Couple boosters were not happy and were making some noise. That is probably because they helped to fund the lacrosse facility there. When boosters put in that kind of money, they expect some ROI. I would not be surprised to see that happen at OSU. Pressure to win gets elevated, when people make a real investment. That has happened at OSU, so I would assume the expectations will be adjusted.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

BigTurn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:45 am
Doubtful
I never said they did. But when there is dissatisfaction with performance around the program, it puts pressure on an AD to make a decision.
Gait has some issues his teams still need to resolve but there's zero chance of him getting fired after this year. He'd have to somehow miss the tournament this year (which seems highly unlikely) and then miss next years tournament, if that happens then he would be in trouble.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”