Flops and FU Goals

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Brownlax

Re: Flops and FU Goals

Post by Brownlax »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:01 pm
hmmm wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:54 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:50 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:31 pm Wait UConn ran out the shot clock up 15 with 10 secs left? But they had their subs in that never get to play. Shouldn’t one of them have tried to score?
Basketball is different and you know it. When it comes to Lacrosse, when the reserves get in...let them play. They come to practice and they do what the starters do and what the coaches tell them to do. When the time comes for them to get into an actual game, just let them play and don't tie their hands. They want to show the coaches what they can do in a real game.
The meaningless goals scored by starters at the end of a game? Could be, 1) heated rivalry or 2) something egregious happened in the game. I see both as an acceptable reason to fire in a final tally or two.
No, I don't know it. Sportsmanship is sportsmanship. You'll never convince me it's a good idea to have Izzy and the rest of the starters out there in a 16-8 game with 2 mins left to fire in a final tally with 6 seconds left. I'll ask again. What if she got hurt? I don't give a darn if it's a heated rivalry or not. It's stupid. The game is over. First off, let other players get in a game. The experience may help them in the future. None of it makes sense to me. And like I've said. It's unique to this sport.
+1.
+100
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:03 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:50 pm The meaningless goals scored by starters at the end of a game? Could be, 1) heated rivalry or 2) something egregious happened in the game. I see both as an acceptable reason to fire in a final tally or two.
+1
To be clear--this was the portion of Larry's post that I was plus-oneing. Whole-heartedly so.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Notre Dame with a FPS goal with 10 seconds left against Liberty to win 12-5
Last edited by Brownlax on Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:35 pm Notre Dame with a FPS goal with 10 seconds left against Libert to win 12-5
Maryland ran out the shot clock on Hopkins last night and dumped the ball in corner with less than 20 seconds left in 13-8 game. I guess Cathy doesn't feel the need to pad stats. Good for her.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Either that or she felt 26-0 was enough of a wound without throwing a dash of salt in at the end.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:12 pm Either that or she felt 26-0 was enough of a wound without throwing a dash of salt in at the end.
So in other words sportsmanship? I know that concept escapes you.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:22 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:12 pm Either that or she felt 26-0 was enough of a wound without throwing a dash of salt in at the end.
So in other words sportsmanship? I know that concept escapes you.
Is that how it is with you? You get to insinuate someone who doesn't agree with you is a clueless idiot whom you'll only respect (if even then) if they respond cogently, demonstrating intelligence suitable enough for your high standards? Sufficient enough for you to lay off? How many times do you want to do this dance with me? Like I said in response to what Larry wrote--I have no problem with it.

I'm fully aware of the definition and concept of sportsmanship. I just don't care about it in the context of sports. What's your deal--you want to shame me into coming around to agreeing with you? Browbeat me into admitting the error of my way so I'll stop irritating your superior belief on the topic?

Both the understanding of a concept and indifference to it can coexist--as you well know. Just because I don't hold your feelings or morals about sportsmanship doesn't mean I'm ignorant as to what it is. You're intelligent and well-read enough to know what I'm saying is true.

Again--we are coming from two completely different places. You're a parent and I'm not. I never have been. Two of my boys played little league baseball for what might as well have been 5 minutes when they were little kids. And one of those boys went on to play lacrosse for another 5 minutes in grade school for maybe half of a half of a semester. My daughter was never ever interested in sports. My kids were never drawn to sports.

I've been intently watching sports for decades, however. I know all the arguments, inside and out, from both sides. I don't give a shidt about sportsmanship. In the grand scheme of things it matters to me Not. One. Whit.

I like FU goals because they spice things up for next time. I like them for the human drama they create. Are there trained adult athletes on the receiving end of these FU goals or delicate daisy petals? Are these adult players then deeply emotionally scarred in the aftermath or do they just file it away and go on to the next class, game, midterm, team meal? More likely it's the parents with the snowflake-like constitutions pontificating from their soap boxes about the lack of sportsmanship who are the one's stewing.

I have no problem with you believing what you believe. But when you tag/quote me with your snide remarks--it's obvious you're the one with the problem with me believing what I believe.

This is getting old, C. Lay off.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I would say the concept of sportsmanship escapes someone who accuses another team of cheating because the team schedules 15 regular season games.

Mr. "Self-Appointed Arbiter of Sportsmanship on the Women's Board" doesn't read my posts so there is no chance he'll respond. ;)
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

njbill wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:31 pm I would say the concept of sportsmanship escapes someone who accuses another team of cheating because the team schedules 15 regular season games.

Mr. "Self-Appointed Arbiter of Sportsmanship on the Women's Board" doesn't read my posts so there is no chance he'll respond. ;)
Didn't NU only schedule 15 games this year?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yes they did. See if you can understand this logic. It’s perfectly OK if Northwestern schedules 15 games. It’s a crime against humanity if North Carolina schedules 15 games.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:24 pm Yes they did. See if you can understand this logic. It’s perfectly OK if Northwestern schedules 15 games. It’s a crime against humanity if North Carolina schedules 15 games.
Hah!
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

njbill wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:24 pm Yes they did. See if you can understand this logic. It’s perfectly OK if Northwestern schedules 15 games. It’s a crime against humanity if North Carolina schedules 15 games.
Yes I remember he roasted unc for that….i guess NU is exempt from criticism:/
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Madlax59 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:29 am
Yes I remember he roasted unc for that….i guess NU is exempt from criticism:/
It's because NU is one of his many, multiple "favorite" teams.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Thinking about FU goals. My Buffs pulled away from a pesky ASU squad on Friday for a nice PAC-12 win. Up 18-12 with :20 on the clock, they punched in 2 more goals to, one with :01 to play. 20-12 final. HC (who I respect immensely) was seen on the sidelines with a fist bump as #20 went in to beat the clock.

I was a bit disappointed, as the game was decided before those last 2 goals were scored. And then I realized ... Buffs are potentially on the bubble for NCAA and goal differential counts.

I guess my point is: until the rules are changed about how team resumes get built for post season placement, it is not really fair to criticize teams and coaches who "run up" the score. Maybe this point has been made already, so sorry for any beating of a dead horse ... I did not go back and check previous posts to see if someone has already pointed this out.
eastcoastlax

Post by eastcoastlax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:32 pm Thinking about FU goals. My Buffs pulled away from a pesky ASU squad on Friday for a nice PAC-12 win. Up 18-12 with :20 on the clock, they punched in 2 more goals to, one with :01 to play. 20-12 final. HC (who I respect immensely) was seen on the sidelines with a fist bump as #20 went in to beat the clock.

I was a bit disappointed, as the game was decided before those last 2 goals were scored. And then I realized ... Buffs are potentially on the bubble for NCAA and goal differential counts.

I guess my point is: until the rules are changed about how team resumes get built for post season placement, it is not really fair to criticize teams and coaches who "run up" the score. Maybe this point has been made already, so sorry for any beating of a dead horse ... I did not go back and check previous posts to see if someone has already pointed this out.
I dont think goal differntial has any impact on post season placement , essentially its wins, losses , strength of schedule
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

eastcoastlax wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:08 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:32 pm Thinking about FU goals. My Buffs pulled away from a pesky ASU squad on Friday for a nice PAC-12 win. Up 18-12 with :20 on the clock, they punched in 2 more goals to, one with :01 to play. 20-12 final. HC (who I respect immensely) was seen on the sidelines with a fist bump as #20 went in to beat the clock.

I dont think goal differntial has any impact on post season placement , essentially its wins, losses , strength of schedule
Really ... goal differential is not used to calculate RPI? Or is RPI not used for NCAA tourney? Learn something new every day, I guess. Thanks.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:49 pm
eastcoastlax wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:08 pm

Really ... goal differential is not used to calculate RPI? Or is RPI not used for NCAA tourney? Learn something new every day, I guess. Thanks.
Goal differential is not part of RPI. Solely based on winning percentages.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Some conferences use goal differential as tiebreak if 3 or more teams tied. Two teams tie it goes head to head. Goal differential is maybe the fourth or fifth tiebreak used.
eastcoastlax

Post by eastcoastlax »

laxfan9999 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:03 pm Some conferences use goal differential as tiebreak if 3 or more teams tied. Two teams tie it goes head to head. Goal differential is maybe the fourth or fifth tiebreak used.
Which conferences and I wonder if it has ever come down to that
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

eastcoastlax wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:04 pm
laxfan9999 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:03 pm Some conferences use goal differential as tiebreak if 3 or more teams tied. Two teams tie it goes head to head. Goal differential is maybe the fourth or fifth tiebreak used.
Which conferences and I wonder if it has ever come down to that
2 years ago Hopkins, Michigan and OSU finished tied for 4th place in the Big Ten. At that time, only the top 4 teams made the tournament. Since Michigan had beaten Hopkins, and OSU had beaten Michigan, the Hopkins/OSU game in the penultimate game was key in the tiebreaker. If Hopkins won, it came down to goal differential in the games played between the 3 teams. Hopkins scored with 17 seconds left to win by 3 and clinch the goal differential tiebreaker by a goal.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”