TV Broadcasts/Announcers/Production

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: TV Broadcasts/Announcers/Production

Post by 10stone5 »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:28 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:44 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:24 pm Yes, the fact that so many games are viewable now is amazing. I'm old enough to remember being out here on the West Coast, and my only source of lax info was a short list of scores in the Sunday New York Times at the library.

And I walked miles through snow to school too! :lol:
Ah, but there's more. On the last few pages of Sports Illustrated there was occasionally a little lacrosse news. Those were the first pages I'd go to. You got to see a condensed version of the NC game on TV too...60 minutes, commercials included was all you got. Saw it long after it had been played. We've come a long way, baby.
Was glad when the Big Red went out there and played and you could go see them.
Miles through blizzard conditions was a ballbuster!!
I'm sure some of us here know.....this is literally why Laxpower was founded: to keep folks like me who were nowhere near the East Coast involved in the game, and up on the regular season, because games on TV were few and far between.

Also, many (most?) of the best known posters were parents of D1, D2, and D3 players who came on to be able to follow their kids, and to report scores and games to other parents and fans who couldn't be at games in person. Then the HS boards became REALLY active for the same reason.

....it was one step up from hearing the game on the radio. And it was one of those things that made you think that this new "internet thing" wasn't all bad.
LaxPower

Live Action Game Results !!

Those were the days my friend …
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:11 am [quote="a fan" post_id=532176 time=<a href="tel:1711337329">1711337329</a> user_id=337]
[quote=DMac post_id=532132 time=<a href="tel:1711331064">1711331064</a> user_id=582]
[quote=CU77 post_id=532107 time=<a href="tel:1711326259">1711326259</a> user_id=261]
Yes, the fact that so many games are viewable now is amazing. I'm old enough to remember being out here on the West Coast, and my only source of lax info was a short list of scores in the Sunday New York Times at the library.

Ah, but there's more. On the last few pages of Sports Illustrated there was occasionally a little lacrosse news. Those were the first pages I'd go to. You got to see a condensed version of the NC game on TV too...60 minutes, commercials included was all you got. Saw it long after it had been played. We've come a long way, baby.
[/quote]I'm sure some of us here know.....this is literally why Laxpower was founded: to keep folks like me who were nowhere near the East Coast involved in the game, and up on the regular season, because games on TV were few and far between.

Also, many (most?) of the best known posters were parents of D1, D2, and D3 players who came on to be able to follow their kids, and to report scores and games to other parents and fans who couldn't be at games in person. Then the HS boards became REALLY active for the same reason.

....it was one step up from hearing the game on the radio. And it was one of those things that made you think that this new "internet thing" wasn't all bad.
[/quote]
LaxPower

[/quote]

I miss the “LAGR”!!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:24 pm Yes, the fact that so many games are viewable now is amazing. I'm old enough to remember being out here on the West Coast, and my only source of lax info was a short list of scores in the Sunday New York Times at the library.

NY Times covered lacrosse scores? :lol: :lol: Not that we recall.

Maybe the NY Post, you are thinking of. Or Newark Star Ledger. Or an LI paper.

pretty sure the first time the NY times published anything lacrosse related contained "Duke"...Knife on, etc.

could be wrong........but, growing up in New Jersey, and family NY Times subscribers, distinctly remember pet peeve that "all the news fit to print" didn't include sports, in general, lacrosse particulary.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

classic First World Problems thread. complaining about a homer broadcaster than knows his team well and can speak well. Try to watch a D3 game on webcast one day.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:17 am

pretty sure the first time the NY times published anything lacrosse related contained "Duke"...Knife on, etc.

could be wrong........but, growing up in New Jersey, and family NY Times subscribers, distinctly remember pet peeve that "all the news fit to print" didn't include sports, in general, lacrosse particulary.
The Times always printed D1 lacrosse scores in a results box on the same page as the standings for the major pro sports.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:06 am
10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:11 am [quote="a fan" post_id=532176 time=<a href="tel:1711337329">1711337329</a> user_id=337]
[quote=DMac post_id=532132 time=<a href="tel:1711331064">1711331064</a> user_id=582]
[quote=CU77 post_id=532107 time=<a href="tel:1711326259">1711326259</a> user_id=261]
Yes, the fact that so many games are viewable now is amazing. I'm old enough to remember being out here on the West Coast, and my only source of lax info was a short list of scores in the Sunday New York Times at the library.

I'm sure some of us here know.....this is literally why Laxpower was founded: to keep folks like me who were nowhere near the East Coast involved in the game, and up on the regular season, because games on TV were few and far between.

[/quote]
LaxPower

I miss the “LAGR”!!
It was more exciting in many ways.

For big games you’d get a couple hundred on a LAGR game thread just waiting for that next update - so you had to be on your game if you were posting.
I had people calling in updates where there was no other way to get game updates - then posting those call ins to LAGR.
a fan

Post by a fan »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 am

LaxPower

I miss the “LAGR”!!

For big games you’d get a couple hundred on a LAGR game thread just waiting for that next update - so you had to be on your game if you were posting.
I had people calling in updates where there was no other way to get game updates - then posting those call ins to LAGR.
[/quote]

....and then there was (drumroll) the LaxSwami. Something that was SO unique to our sport, and simply hilarious.

Thanks for the reminder of LAGR! Man, I forgot about that.

Oh yeah, we are SO spoiled these days with the TV coverage we're enjoying. Like LaxAttackJ said: complaining about it is SO 1st world problems.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 am

LaxPower

I miss the “LAGR”!!

[/quote]

Not exactly the reason but one of the great benefits.
Lacpower came about as a result of a bet.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

I remember listening to the 1999 Hobart-Cornell game on my telephone from the comfort of my home in Indiana ('Bart won 13-12, wrapping up a five game win streak against the Big Red). Ah, those were the days! I, too, would usually go rushing to the store on Sundays to grab a copy of the NYT to get any scores that I could. The only way for me to see games back then was to drive to either Indianapolis to watch Butler or all the way to South Bend (a 4-5 hour drive from Bloomington) to watch Notre Dame. One Saturday I drove up to South Bend to catch the Irish and Penn State. As I approached old Moose Krause Field all I could see were ultimate frisbee players out there. What the... The lax game had been changed to Sunday! I was pretty disappointed/angry, but one of the assistant coaches invited me into the office and I got to meet some of the players. Their hospitality was unbelievable. It's such a pleasure to be able to watch virtually any game now.
a fan

Post by a fan »

OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:13 am
Laxpower came about as a result of a bet.
If you have the time, please share the story.....
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

Not only are you off on the scores, they posted both the D1 and D2/3 polls in the late 70's, when I was at Hobart. I have a full folder of news clips and articles about Hobart lacrosse that were in the NY Times in the 70's.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

LeeRoggy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:08 pm

Not only are you off on the scores, they posted both the D1 and D2/3 polls in the late 70's, when I was at Hobart. I have a full folder of news clips and articles about Hobart lacrosse that were in the NY Times in the 70's.
cool. Must have misremembered, and since I was mostly focusing on high schools.

in this Sunday's New York Times, I can't find a box score for any sport
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Lroggy back from parts unknown.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

correct. NYT did publish scores, and the occasional article, though quite less reliably than the Baltimore papers, Morning Sun, Evening Sun, and News American did...those papers not only had front page coverage occasionally of big games, and certainly front page of sports section, their coverage of high school lacrosse was deep and near daily...there were 3 competing sports staffs up into the 80's, though the newspaper business later changed dramatically and the Sunpaper shrank to one staff, which has only grown smaller and The News American, which had a 200 year history and had the largest circulation mid century went out of business in 1986.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:47 pm

correct. NYT did publish scores, and the occasional article, though quite less reliably than the Baltimore papers, Morning Sun, Evening Sun, and News American did...those papers not only had front page coverage occasionally of big games, and certainly front page of sports section, their coverage of high school lacrosse was deep and near daily...there were 3 competing sports staffs up into the 80's, though the newspaper business later changed dramatically and the Sunpaper shrank to one staff, which has only grown smaller and The News American, which had a 200 year history and had the largest circulation mid century went out of business in 1986.
I was 90 miles S of Bmore in SoMd. The Bmore Sun was our only source & it didn't deliver.. Would search news stands or the public library for the Sunday Sun a week or 2 before the season because they had the season scheds for MD schools. Would call the recorded Sun scores line on Sun evenings. The Wash Post would run the weekly poll (coaches , I think) & they gave Christian Swezey a few inches to cover big games for MD, Gtown & Navy. It was a big deal when the Faceoff Yearbook came out. I'd watch the mailbox for it -- when it arrived, it was like the Steve Martin scene in "The Jerk" when the phonebook arrived. When LaxPower came online, I'd waste hours waiting for my dial up ISP to load content just to read. Couldn't log in to post until we moved "up the road" to broadband country. Had there been this much digital lax content & games streaming in 1980, we'd likely have homesteaded & retired in Tx, SoCal, Mo ...&/or Germany....& I'd have logged 150k fewer miles on my Fiat/Bertone X-1/9's rallying to weekend lax games in the DMV. I had to slew the rooftop tv antenna N/NW to receive fuzzy Bmore stations for the Ch 2 game of the week & Sun night sports reports. It wasn't ez, but I would not have seen as many games live & interacted with as many different fan bases in the stands & parking lots.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:50 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:47 pm

I was 90 miles S of Bmore in SoMd. The Bmore Sun was our only source & it didn't deliver.. Would search news stands or the public library for the Sunday Sun a week or 2 before the season because they had the season scheds for MD schools. Would call the recorded Sun scores line on Sun evenings. The Wash Post would run the weekly poll (coaches , I think) & they gave Christian Swezey a few inches to cover big games for MD, Gtown & Navy. It was a big deal when the Faceoff Yearbook came out. I'd watch the mailbox for it -- when it arrived, it was like the Steve Martin scene in "The Jerk" when the phonebook arrived. When LaxPower came online, I'd waste hours waiting for my dial up ISP to load content just to read. Couldn't log in to post until we moved "up the road" to broadband country. Had there been this much digital lax content & games streaming in 1980, we'd likely have homesteaded & retired in Tx, SoCal, Mo ...&/or Germany....& I'd have logged 150k fewer miles on my Fiat/Bertone X-1/9's rallying to weekend lax games in the DMV. I had to slew the rooftop tv antenna N/NW to receive fuzzy Bmore stations for the Ch 2 game of the week & Sun night sports reports. It wasn't ez, but I would not have seen as many games live & interacted with as many different fan bases in the stands & parking lots.
Yes, I understand how lucky we were on this front to be living right in the heart of Baltimore lacrosse world. My godfather owned Bacharach Rasin, my dad and his buddies grew up watching lax in the ‘40s, playing sandlot and HS ball, and starred for their college teams in the 50’s, then back to play for Mount Washington post military service in the late 50s and 60s. I grew up watching tremendous games at Hop, College Park, Annapolis and a few weekends in Charlottesville. As a youngster we’d jump the fence at Hop to ‘back up’ the goal, snagging shots and retrieving balls.

And the media was terrific. I joke that I was consensus second best tender in the State our senior HS season, 2 papers had Michael Federico from BL and another had Bobby Clements of St Paul’s as # 1, while all 3 had me as #2. Federico and Clements were both named 1st Team AA our senior year of college. 3 newspapers actually paying close attention was a huge luxury.

It was even better in my dad’s era, pre serious professional sports, with horse racing, boxing the big deals. And college and club lacrosse as serious big interest sports in Baltimore specifically.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:47 pm Yes, I understand how lucky we were on this front to be living right in the heart of Baltimore lacrosse world. My godfather owned Bacharach Rasin, my dad and his buddies grew up watching lax in the ‘40s, playing sandlot and HS ball, and starred for their college teams in the 50’s, then back to play for Mount Washington post military service in the late 50s and 60s. I grew up watching tremendous games at Hop, College Park, Annapolis and a few weekends in Charlottesville. As a youngster we’d jump the fence at Hop to ‘back up’ the goal, snagging shots and retrieving balls.

And the media was terrific. I joke that I was consensus second best tender in the State our senior HS season, 2 papers had Michael Federico from BL and another had Bobby Clements of St Paul’s as # 1, while all 3 had me as #2. Federico and Clements were both named 1st Team AA our senior year of college. 3 newspapers actually paying close attention was a huge luxury.

It was even better in my dad’s era, pre serious professional sports, with horse racing, boxing the big deals. And college and club lacrosse as serious big interest sports in Baltimore specifically.
My Sr year at USNA (1970), I sneaked beyond the 12 mile limit to watch Navy beat Carling LC at their field by the brewery, just off the beltway. That year, I also saw Navy beat Mt Washington. I recall seeing Jimmy Lewis play for the Wolfpack, but I'm not sure which year. I was also AWOL at Homewood in '69 for Navy's last win there until 2022. After I came back to MD in '78, I made several Fri night runs to dimly lit Norris Field. I also saw Navy beat Hopkins in 1971 at the Astrodome ...weekend high speed run from Pensacola....Lax before the internet.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lacrosse Bucket has a write up on the Astrodome game,

https://lacrossebucket.com/2020/04/23/h ... -to-texas/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:00 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:47 pm Yes, I understand how lucky we were on this front to be living right in the heart of Baltimore lacrosse world. My godfather owned Bacharach Rasin, my dad and his buddies grew up watching lax in the ‘40s, playing sandlot and HS ball, and starred for their college teams in the 50’s, then back to play for Mount Washington post military service in the late 50s and 60s. I grew up watching tremendous games at Hop, College Park, Annapolis and a few weekends in Charlottesville. As a youngster we’d jump the fence at Hop to ‘back up’ the goal, snagging shots and retrieving balls.

My Sr year at USNA (1970), I sneaked beyond the 12 mile limit to watch Navy beat Carling LC at their field by the brewery, just off the beltway. That year, I also saw Navy beat Mt Washington. I recall seeing Jimmy Lewis play for the Wolfpack, but I'm not sure which year. I was also AWOL at Homewood in '69 for Navy's last win there until 2022. After I came back to MD in '78, I made several Fri night runs to dimly lit Norris Field. I also saw Navy beat Hopkins in 1971 at the Astrodome ...weekend high speed run from Pensacola....Lax before the internet.
:D awol for 'good trouble'...

My dad had hung up his cleats by mid '60's, except for some alumni games at UVA, so I think he just missed playing against Jimmy Lewis while at Mt.Washington and Lewis early at Navy. But that was just about when Pop stopped playing, so they might not have played. Had high praise. I do know that Mt Washington beat Navy each of those championship years for Navy, '60, '61, '62, '63...but didn't play in '64.

My college coach '63 overlapped with Lewis at Navy, winning national championships each of his years, but I don't think they were on the same roster as Lewis' first year would have been '64, I think. Dud did a very open interview some time ago about his life and experiences as an EOD officer in Vietnam.https://dvp.dartmouth.edu/s/dvp/item/196

I know my dad played against Jim Brown when Cuse came down and played the Wolfpack. Funny story I've told previously, so won't repeat the moment.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:38 pm
I was also AWOL at Homewood in '69 for Navy's last win there until 2022.
:D awol for 'good trouble'...
Had I been spotted at Homewood, I probably could have plea bargained it down from a major to a minor offense, since Navy won.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”