TV Broadcasts/Announcers/Production

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LaxPundit07

TV Broadcasts/Announcers/Production

Post by LaxPundit07 »

In a true sign of the apocalypse, influencer Mitch Pehlke is broadcasting a game on Big Ten Network. Get off my lawn, punk!

Give me Joe B and Dixy. Hell, I would even suffer through P Carc just laxin’ vs this. If I hear him call this OSU goalie “Big Tasty” one more time….
Comeonman

Re: TV Broadcasts/Announcers/Production

Post by Comeonman »

The whole broadcast is lame. The play by play guy looks about 12. The camera is too far away, making it hard to see the ball. The lacrosse is pretty bad as well.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Comeonman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:04 pm The whole broadcast is lame. The play by play guy looks about 12. The camera is too far away, making it hard to see the ball. The lacrosse is pretty bad as well.
The color commentary provides zero value.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Speaking of broadcasters, I'm beyond sick of Booker Corrigan continually plugging events run by Corrigan Sports every 5 minutes, no matter how irrelevant they are to what's happening in the game he's calling. Absolutely shameless and gross, but he seems to get a pass from everyone. And yet we have a four page thread complaining about Quint calling an EMO a power play because it aligns with PLL terminology...
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

random observer wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:22 pm Speaking of broadcasters, I'm beyond sick of Booker Corrigan continually plugging events run by Corrigan Sports every 5 minutes, no matter how irrelevant they are to what's happening in the game he's calling. Absolutely shameless and gross, but he seems to get a pass from everyone. And yet we have a four page thread complaining about Quint calling an EMO a power play because it aligns with PLL terminology...
Tough sledding for Booker personally of late. His Twitter lays it out pretty clearly. May want to move off this take for a while.
Lax904

Post by Lax904 »

As someone who does some play by play, I know how hard it is and how much preparation it takes. I love Joe B and Mark D. The guys doing the Syracuse games of late are phenomenal. Recently watched a game with no announcers but with field level mics. It was great, R rated as it was with the sounds of the coaches, players, refs, crowd noise, PA and in game smack talk. Prefer it to bad announcers.
@Lax904
“Cradle to the Grave w Kerwick and Carnicelli”
Podcast- Lax Allstars
random observer

Post by random observer »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:59 pm
random observer wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:22 pm Speaking of broadcasters, I'm beyond sick of Booker Corrigan continually plugging events run by Corrigan Sports every 5 minutes, no matter how irrelevant they are to what's happening in the game he's calling. Absolutely shameless and gross, but he seems to get a pass from everyone. And yet we have a four page thread complaining about Quint calling an EMO a power play because it aligns with PLL terminology...
Tough sledding for Booker personally of late. His Twitter lays it out pretty clearly. May want to move off this take for a while.
Wasn't aware. Terrible news. I stand by my take that his broadcasting antics are unprofessional, but I have no personal animosity for the Book. Hoping for the best for him and his family.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Lax904 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:42 pm As someone who does some play by play, I know how hard it is and how much preparation it takes. I love Joe B and Mark D. The guys doing the Syracuse games of late are phenomenal. Recently watched a game with no announcers but with field level mics. It was great, R rated as it was with the sounds of the coaches, players, refs, crowd noise, PA and in game smack talk. Prefer it to bad announcers.
Beg to differ on the Syracuse games. They are way too homerish for me. When you're not the hometown broadcast team (which I don't think these guys are supposed to be), please lay off talking about "the Cuse".
DMac

Post by DMac »

Doesn't matter who is doing the game somebody's going to be b*tching about him/her/them.
There's homerism abound on lot of broadcasts, expect it. Oh, and be damn glad you can watch
as much lacrosse on TV as you can.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yes, the fact that so many games are viewable now is amazing. I'm old enough to remember being out here on the West Coast, and my only source of lax info was a short list of scores in the Sunday New York Times at the library.

And I walked miles through snow to school too! :lol:
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

There was a discussion on antother thread about announcing, and yesterday I watched UMD/Rutgers WLax.
The male PBP announcer said Player Advantage while the female color said man-up.
She also said man-to-man defense, when it was clear that the PBP was avoiding that term.
As the game wore on it became clear who was being careful and who was not.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Suitcase

Post by Suitcase »

Are we all Longing for the
Days of Leif Elsmo and guys “ripping rope”!
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:05 pm Doesn't matter who is doing the game somebody's going to be b*tching about him/her/them.
There's homerism abound on lot of broadcasts, expect it. Oh, and be damn glad you can watch
100% ... or the internet.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:36 pm There was a discussion on antother thread about announcing, and yesterday I watched UMD/Rutgers WLax.
The male PBP announcer said Player Advantage while the female color said man-up.
She also said man-to-man defense, when it was clear that the PBP was avoiding that term.
Cuz the male PBP is a lib and the female color is just a normal person. My $.02
DMac

Post by DMac »

CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:24 pm Yes, the fact that so many games are viewable now is amazing. I'm old enough to remember being out here on the West Coast, and my only source of lax info was a short list of scores in the Sunday New York Times at the library.

Ah, but there's more. On the last few pages of Sports Illustrated there was occasionally a little lacrosse news. Those were the first pages I'd go to. You got to see a condensed version of the NC game on TV too...60 minutes, commercials included was all you got. Saw it long after it had been played. We've come a long way, baby.
Was glad when the Big Red went out there and played and you could go see them.
Miles through blizzard conditions was a ballbuster!!
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:51 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:36 pm There was a discussion on antother thread about announcing, and yesterday I watched UMD/Rutgers WLax.
Cuz the male PBP is a lib and the female color is just a normal person. My $.02
Female color is clearly trans trying to impose male terms on a female sport.

Keep the men out of the women's game. Players, coaches, refs, announcers, ADs, you name it.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:24 pm Yes, the fact that so many games are viewable now is amazing. I'm old enough to remember being out here on the West Coast, and my only source of lax info was a short list of scores in the Sunday New York Times at the library.

Did ya have feet?😀
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:44 pm

Ah, but there's more. On the last few pages of Sports Illustrated there was occasionally a little lacrosse news. Those were the first pages I'd go to. You got to see a condensed version of the NC game on TV too...60 minutes, commercials included was all you got. Saw it long after it had been played. We've come a long way, baby.
Was glad when the Big Red went out there and played and you could go see them.
Miles through blizzard conditions was a ballbuster!!
I'm sure some of us here know.....this is literally why Laxpower was founded: to keep folks like me who were nowhere near the East Coast involved in the game, and up on the regular season, because games on TV were few and far between.

Also, many (most?) of the best known posters were parents of D1, D2, and D3 players who came on to be able to follow their kids, and to report scores and games to other parents and fans who couldn't be at games in person. Then the HS boards became REALLY active for the same reason.

....it was one step up from hearing the game on the radio. And it was one of those things that made you think that this new "internet thing" wasn't all bad.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:05 pm Doesn't matter who is doing the game somebody's going to be b*tching about him/her/them.
You’re entirely right. As lacrosse fans we are blessed. But other than the SU games, are there really any that people perceive as being hometown? I’m a Hop guy, and QK is anything but a homer. Carc (while a genuinely good dude), is clearly homer.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Try watching a Brown home game sometime.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”