2024 Pool C

D3 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: 2024 Pool C

Post by pcowlax »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:07 pm
i saw this. not buying it. no way Ohio Wesleyan with 2 regional wins, is getting in over Roanoke (4 regional wins) and Gettysburg (3 regionals )
They seem to be confused that it isn't your own regional ranking that gets you in, its win over regionally ranked teams.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Obviously won't affect teams in as both are locks but SLU currently has RPI behind the woodshed and is laying a mule skinning on them.
Laxrat2319

Post by Laxrat2319 »

After the madness that has unfolded this Saturday, here are my picks for the 10 pool C selections.

Locks:
1. Tufts
2. Cnu
3. Rpi/rit
4. St Lawrence

Fairly confident:
5. Loser of Bowdoin/Wesleyan (assuming Middlebury and Hamilton lose, but anything is possible in the NESCAC these days)
6. Loser of swat/dickinson, assuming both make the cc championship
7. Loser of w&l/lynchburg, assuming both make the championship

I’m pretty confident about all of these picks, and my last 3 spots are among these teams:
Union
Amherst
Middlebury
Williams
Roanoke
Muhlenberg?
Hamilton?

Union has some nescac wins over Middlebury and Williams, but it is really hard to judge the strength of those wins given the bombs currently going off in the nescac. They also beat Babson. If they get a win in the liberty league playoffs over the first seed, then I would say Union is a lock.

I don’t know if I like Amherst or Middlebury more to get in. On one hand Amherst has some strong wins over RPI and Swarthmore, and some other nescac teams, but on the other hand, Middlebury has beaten Amherst TWICE, and has beaten Wesleyan.

Williams is a fun one. They beat CNU, but they have also lost to a bunch of nescac teams, and Union. I honestly have no idea what to make of Williams.

I understand that Roanoke has a good amount of regionally ranked wins, but I don’t think that the wins are of very good quality, but I also don’t know if that is even a factor at all. I don’t know if strength of regionally ranked wins is more or less important than the total number of regionally ranked wins, but I would assume the strength somewhat matters. If they make the ODAC championship I think they will probably sneak into a pool C bid.

Muhlenberg is on the outside looking in. If they can beat Dickinson, I think there is a small chance that they get in. I think a lot of the teams listed before would need to lose the rest of their games for Muhlenberg to get in without an AQ, so their fate is not really up to them.

I could see Hamilton getting a bid if they reach the nescac championship by beating Wesleyan. They have some good wins over tufts, Lynchburg and Middlebury. We’ll see how they do in the nescac playoffs.

I think it’s pretty safe to say Gettysburg is not getting in without AQ, now that they have losses to both muhlenberg and WAC. Losing to WAC, in my opinion, completely eliminated their chances of getting a pool C bid. It feels like their team has been imploding ever since they lost to swarthmore.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

i have followed the pool c selection process this year, more then ever. and i still have no idea.

like you said. Roanoke has 4 regional wins. more than any of the rest of your last list. but they are not good wins. in fact, Roanoke is the only team all year that has been mentioned in the top 25, that does not have a top 20 win. that alone could keep them out. gettysburg is falling fast, but at least they have 2 or 3 solid wins.
i think nescac is capped at 3 at large bids max.
LL is a lock for 1, probably 2
Centennial is the same.

one could argue that stevenson has a better resume than roanoke.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

A Regionally Ranked win is a Regionally Ranked win, be it Elmhurst or RIT.
richard

Post by richard »

SixBySix wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 pm A Regionally Ranked win is a Regionally Ranked win, be it Elmhurst or RIT.
Grove City, Hampden Sidney , Randy Mac and others might not be jacks idea of good wins and a worthy resume . But if I have to compare it to Trinity , Williams, Gettysburg or maybe Amherst and Middlebury I think I’d go with Roanoke for a pool C.

Not sure what the negative bias towards Noke is but it seems to be there.
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

Keep in mind, Roanoke’s SOS is way behind teams like Amherst, Gettysburg, Middlebury, Williams.

And it’s not just wins against regionally ranked opponents, it’s the number of games against regionally ranked opponents. Going 3-5 against ranked opponents looks better to the Committee than going 3-1.
richard

Post by richard »

Wesleyan, Dickinson, W&L and Lynchburg were on the schedule too.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Assuming no massive upsets this is how I would allocate the Pool C Bids
3 Liberty
2-3 NESCAC
1-2 ODAC
1 Centennial
1-2 ODAC
1? Mid Atlantic

What did I miss? Where do you see it ?
Lacrossefan25

Post by Lacrossefan25 »

SKUD wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:07 pm Assuming no massive upsets this is how I would allocate the Pool C Bids
3 Liberty
2-3 NESCAC
1-2 ODAC
1 Centennial
1-2 ODAC
1? Mid Atlantic

CNU/Salisbury will get a pool C bid depending who wins the CLC
Devil4Life

Post by Devil4Life »

SKUD wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:07 pm Assuming no massive upsets this is how I would allocate the Pool C Bids
3 Liberty
2-3 NESCAC
1-2 ODAC
1 Centennial
1-2 ODAC
1? Mid Atlantic

FWIW, Dickinson is 6-2 vs regionally ranked teams
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

richard wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:50 pm Wesleyan, Dickinson, W&L and Lynchburg were on the schedule too.
Under the SOS the NCAA uses its not close. They have a far weaker schedule.

They have a forfeit win over Ferrum and wins over the likes of Averett, Southern VA, Guilford, Pfeiffer, Bridgewater, Virginia Wesleyan. The Committee will be holding their noses looking at their results overall.
richard

Post by richard »

A follow up for jack and Southie regarding Roanoke and pool C. What are your thoughts about Salisburys schedule? Looks to me sort of similar to Roanokes maybe not as strong. If they and RIT were last in line for pool C which way would you go?
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

CNU/Salisbury will get a pool C bid depending who wins the CLC
[/quote]

agree thought I had that. Also Swath-Dick loser
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

SouthieLax wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:30 pm it’s not just wins against regionally ranked opponents, it’s the number of games against regionally ranked opponents. Going 3-5 against ranked opponents looks better to the Committee than going 3-1.
Don’t tell that to ah23 :roll:
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

3 Liberty
2-3 NESCAC
1-2 ODAC
1 Centennial
1-2 ODAC
1? Mid Atlantic

Well, the ODAC clone seems to have sneaked past your notice :lol:
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

richard wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:44 pm A follow up for jack and Southie regarding Roanoke and pool C. What are your thoughts about Salisburys schedule? Looks to me sort of similar to Roanokes maybe not as strong. If they and RIT were last in line for pool C which way would you go?
comparing salisbury schedule to roanoke

vs regionally ranked teams
salisbury 8-0
Roanoke 4-4

vs top 20 teams
salisbury 5-0
roanoke 0-4

best win
salisbury - CNU, Gettysburg, and York were all top 10 when salisbury beat them.
Roanoke - Grove city ranked around 25

based on pre season ranking. OOC games vs ranked teams
Salisbury 4-0
Roanoke 0-2

not really a good comparison.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:08 pm [quote=richard post_id=544005 time=<a href="tel:1714344299">1714344299</a> user_id=418]
A follow up for jack and Southie regarding Roanoke and pool C. What are your thoughts about Salisburys schedule? Looks to me sort of similar to Roanokes maybe not as strong. If they and RIT were last in line for pool C which way would you go?
comparing salisbury schedule to roanoke

vs regionally ranked teams
salisbury 8-0
Roanoke 4-4

vs top 20 teams
salisbury 5-0
roanoke 0-4

best win
salisbury - CNU, Gettysburg, and York were all top 10 when salisbury beat them.
Roanoke - Grove city ranked around 25

based on pre season ranking. OOC games vs ranked teams
Salisbury 4-0
Roanoke 0-2

not really a good comparison.
[/quote]

I see what you are saying but the only ranked teams that matter are regionally ranked teams. The 7 ranked teams in the 5 regions is all that matters.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

SixBySix wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 pm A Regionally Ranked win is a Regionally Ranked win, be it Elmhurst or RIT.
I wonder why the NCAA bothers ranking teams in each region if they don’t actually use those rankings…pretty weird dynamic.
richard

Post by richard »

Once ranked always ranked was done away with several years ago. Salisbury has 3 wins vs current top twenty teams. Gettysburg should drop from that list after their loss to WAC .So make that 2. Vs regional ranked reams bury has 4 wins.
burys schedule is full of Berry,Montclair,Stockton, Kean, MWU, WAC, St Mary’s, Catholic, Stevenson, Scranton, a veritable murderers row.
York, Lynchburg and CNU are their best wins.
Hampden Sidney, Randy Mac and Grove are Nokes best with Grove being a wash.
I’m not saying Noke is comparable to bury as a team but the schedules are each as crappy as the others.

Can you answer the second question I asked?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”