Play time

D2 Mens Lacrosse
Ajax8787

Play time

Post by Ajax8787 »

Is there a certain protocol in regard to asking a coach to get in the game more often or is this a no no all together. Sophomore backup goalie. Team only has 2 goalies. Not getting play time even when we’re winning by 10+ goals.
GaitsRightHand

Re: Play time

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Ajax8787 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:38 pm Is there a certain protocol in regard to asking a coach to get in the game more often or is this a no no all together. Sophomore backup goalie. Team only has 2 goalies. Not getting play time even when we’re winning by 10+ goals.
Is the starter far and away better? is he a senior? Does your son get extra lifts, film work, and take extra shots? Is he an awesome teammate who pumps of the whole team/goalie on big plays? On the sideline, in practice, etc.

If I were him, I would ask something along the lines of "hey coach, what can I do to improve?" Then get the convo going and add in "what do I have to do to make an impact and potenitally earn playing time?"

I had a goalie who approached our Head Coach like this, he got playing time. But was on a short leash. The first second he messed up, it was held against him. It's all about how you frame the question- do not ask overly aggressive, or this may leave a bad taste in the coach's mouth.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

He has practice everyday where he can go out and earn some playing time. Playing time isn’t guaranteed because you are there, you have to earn it. I’m guessing if he isn’t even getting into blowout games he just isn’t getting it done at practice and coach has zero confidence in him.
Ajax8787

Post by Ajax8787 »

He’s heard rumors that the starter who is a junior is trying to make all American and wants as much play time as possible. I don’t know if this makes sense but he’s heard this from a couple teammates. He’s very much a team player. Never complains and does what’s asked. Been playing since he was 7 and knows to prove himself on the field but isn’t getting much time to prove himself in live games. He was all county in high school and team won County championship. In regard to who is better, I can honestly say they are about even. Actually my sophomore is better at clearing. No BS. I had heard a players should never bring up requesting more play time from the coach in college. I wasn’t sure if this is actually the way it is.
SouthCackaLAXy

Post by SouthCackaLAXy »

Keep in mind, like any paid profession, there are good coaches and there are bad coaches. If your son's coach is saying he has a 'confidence' issue, its not the kid with the confidence issue. Its the coach. Playing at a competitive collegiate level weeds that lame excuse out. Goalies take a beating and if there are only two on the team, a coach who leaves the starter goalie in +10 later in the game ain't too bright. Funny theory: you know what builds confidence? Game minutes. A good coach maximizes the team he has, not the team he wishes he had.

GRH's advice is solid. But if your son has already done that with the coach, and is getting non-specific answers like 'you know what you need to do...' then that's a red flag.

When the portal opens, Don't walk, run.
Ajax8787

Post by Ajax8787 »

In regard to the transfer portal, you basically need to tell your coach and expose yourself to possibly losing your scholarship in the hopes another school picks you up. Doesn’t seem fair to me. Do most transfers make hidden agreements before entering the portal? Sorry I’m not familiar with the whole process.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Ajax8787 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:27 pm In regard to the transfer portal, you basically need to tell your coach and expose yourself to possibly losing your scholarship in the hopes another school picks you up. Doesn’t seem fair to me. Do most transfers make hidden agreements before entering the portal? Sorry I’m not familiar with the whole process.
Scholarships in the portal are few and far between.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Ajax8787 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:27 pm In regard to the transfer portal, you basically need to tell your coach and expose yourself to possibly losing your scholarship in the hopes another school picks you up. Doesn’t seem fair to me. Do most transfers make hidden agreements before entering the portal? Sorry I’m not familiar with the whole process.
Hey Ajax, PM me. I coached D2 for a few years, and I have a lot of friends coaching at the D1, 2 and 3 levels coaching. Can help answer more personal questions. And potentially, can help your son get in contact with other schools.
thoughtbot

Post by thoughtbot »

Ajax8787 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:35 pm He’s heard rumors that the starter who is a junior is trying to make all American and wants as much play time as possible. I don’t know if this makes sense but he’s heard this from a couple teammates. He’s very much a team player. Never complains and does what’s asked. Been playing since he was 7 and knows to prove himself on the field but isn’t getting much time to prove himself in live games. He was all county in high school and team won County championship. In regard to who is better, I can honestly say they are about even. Actually my sophomore is better at clearing. No BS. I had heard a players should never bring up requesting more play time from the coach in college. I wasn’t sure if this is actually the way it is.
The all american race is gonna be pretty tough this year as it is every year -- look at last years picks. Playing time is not always going to equate to making that list, plenty of goalies who get pulled after starting making the AA Teams. Its unfortunate to hear that and hope that its just a rumor otherwise its pretty misguided...

Also as a former coach as well, literally no problem if a player comes to me and says what can I be doing to get some burn in a respectful manner especially if your son is working like he says. That being said, if it was a parent it wouldn't be received the same way.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

thoughtbot wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:47 pm
Ajax8787 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:35 pm He’s heard rumors that the starter who is a junior is trying to make all American and wants as much play time as possible. I don’t know if this makes sense but he’s heard this from a couple teammates. He’s very much a team player. Never complains and does what’s asked. Been playing since he was 7 and knows to prove himself on the field but isn’t getting much time to prove himself in live games. He was all county in high school and team won County championship. In regard to who is better, I can honestly say they are about even. Actually my sophomore is better at clearing. No BS. I had heard a players should never bring up requesting more play time from the coach in college. I wasn’t sure if this is actually the way it is.
The all american race is gonna be pretty tough this year as it is every year -- look at last years picks. Playing time is not always going to equate to making that list, plenty of goalies who get pulled after starting making the AA Teams. Its unfortunate to hear that and hope that its just a rumor otherwise its pretty misguided...

Also as a former coach as well, literally no problem if a player comes to me and says what can I be doing to get some burn in a respectful manner especially if your son is working like he says. That being said, if it was a parent it wouldn't be received the same way.
Well said. I was thinking this also. Most AA goalies aren't being judged on games that they're blowing out a team or being blown out themselves. Getting a few extra saves in either one of those scenarios is just stat-packing. AA committee is well aware of situations like these.

By far the most important part of this thread:
That being said, if it was a parent it wouldn't be received the same way.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”