WLAX Bracketology

D1 Womens Lacrosse
BigRedChant

Re: WLAX Bracketology

Post by BigRedChant »

Is the biggest loser with this Cinci win over Ohio State… Penn State ?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

BigRedChant wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:22 pm Is the biggest loser with this Cinci win over Ohio State… Penn State ?
Nah. Because in order to even be eligible they have to beat either Michigan, MD or Hopkins. And if they don't do that, they need to make the Big Ten Finals meaning 2 wins over those teams(or NU). If they do either, combined with their win over NU, they're in the NCAAs. They'd never leave out a team with 2-3 top 10 wins. It's just all about getting eligible for them.
jeremyfallis

Post by jeremyfallis »

BigRedChant wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:22 pm Is the biggest loser with this Cinci win over Ohio State… Penn State ?
Looks like OSU's RPI dropped to 48, Cincinnati went up to 60.

It doesn't help, but PSU's fate is in their own hands. Penn State's task is about eligibility. If they beat one of Hopkins, Maryland or Michigan, they'll be in b/c they'll be assured of a .500 record and another win over another NCAA tournament-bound team.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

That is a brutal loss for The Ohio State University
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:52 pm
laxmenow wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:45 pm After watching the BC - Yale game, it looked to me like BC was a clear top 8, and Yale a clear top 16, but I guess neither is as good as Fairfield !!
EXACTLY why I think all that RPI guff is horse manure.
Completely, though respectfully, disagree. Polls don’t choose tournament field….something objective has to. And by the end of the season, RPI is good an objective criteria as there is. Mid season it’s an incomplete picture and its “accuracy” gets better the more games that are played.

Is it perfect. Nope. But like democracy, it’s better than anything else that anyone has come up with…..

And last year, the top 8 rpi teams were the top 8 seeds and they were 100 percent of the quarterfinalists.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:50 pm
laxmenow wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:45 pm After watching the BC - Yale game, it looked to me like BC was a clear top 8, and Yale a clear top 16, but I guess neither is as good as Fairfield !!
Completely, though respectfully, disagree. Polls don’t choose tournament field….something objective has to. And by the end of the season, RPI is good an objective criteria as there is. Mid season it’s an incomplete picture and its “accuracy” gets better the more games that are played.

Is it perfect. Nope. But like democracy, it’s better than anything else that anyone has come up with…..

And last year, the top 8 rpi teams were the top 8 seeds and they were 100 percent of the quarterfinalists.
Oh, and by the end of the conference playoffs, Fairfield’s rpi will be below bcs or yales….unless those teams lose more games than they win from here forward.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:53 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:50 pm

Oh, and by the end of the conference playoffs, Fairfield’s rpi will be below bcs or yales….unless those teams lose more games than they win from here forward.
I know the polls are garbage. Just people's opinions. But RPI is also garbage from where I'm looking. Strength of schedule also factors in but even that gets skewed. In the end, the best team wins. I sincerely believe that. I thought Arizona St got the shaft the last year McCormack was there. But folks were nice and safe pointing to RPI as their shield. It's a flawed system. Other sports are moving away from it. Hopefully women's lacrosse will someday too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating_percentage_index
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:49 pm I thought Arizona St got the shaft the last year McCormack was there. But folks were nice and safe pointing to RPI as their shield.
Not sure where you got that from. Pretty much every comment about ASU's omission from the 2022 tournament field was essentially in agreement & shared the same sentiment.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:30 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:49 pm I thought Arizona St got the shaft the last year McCormack was there. But folks were nice and safe pointing to RPI as their shield.
Not sure where you got that from. Pretty much every comment about ASU's omission from the 2022 tournament field was essentially in agreement & shared the same sentiment.
I got that from having a clear memory of the time. There was a camp, a faction, who thought Arizona State got screwed. You could look it up. But please don't try to make it out to be just a figment of my own imagination. Just because you don't remember it doesn't mean I'm the only one who shared the sentiment.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:00 pm
I got that from having a clear memory of the time. There was a camp, a faction, who thought Arizona State got screwed. You could look it up. But please don't try to make it out to be just a figment of my own imagination. Just because you don't remember it doesn't mean I'm the only one who shared the sentiment.
I did look it up.

viewtopic.php?p=367807&hilit=Arizona#p367807
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:29 pm
I did look it up.

I rest my case. You obviously didn't give the topic a thorough read.
610Lax

Post by 610Lax »

intheknow247 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:33 pm Somebody at Fairfield is hacking IL's RPI ratings. FAIRFIELD listed at #4 in RPI with only one Top 20 win and a Top 21+ LOSS. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... pril/63004
Fairfield's RPI will drop as teams in the MAAC lose in conference. But Fairfield's opponents are a combined 73-43 and they've only played 2 teams with a losing record. For comparison, Navy's opponents are a combined 68-72, they have only beat 2 teams with a winning record and 7 teams with a losing record. Fairfield has defeated two teams who were ranked at the time of their wins, UConn and UAlbany(who has played a ridiculously tough schedule).

The MAAC has also had a sneaky good year out of conference, having winning records vs the Patriot, A-10 and Big East and a .500 record vs Ivy. Now, full disclosure, they haven't beaten the top teams in those conferences but nonetheless the MAAC has a number of teams with solid starts to the season.

If you haven't watched Fairfield play, they are a very good veteran team, with 18 Sr/Grad Srs. Having watched them 3x this year, I was impressed each time. I was less impressed watching Duke, Navy, USC and Penn State.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:38 am
I did look it up.

Not sure how you can rest a case with an opinion.

And yes, there was a “camp” that thought ASU got screwed. That is the point I was making (“Pretty much every comment about ASU's omission from the 2022 tournament field was essentially in agreement & shared the same sentiment.”). What I don’t recall seeing were posts defending ASU’s omission using the argument of RPI/SOS.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:09 am
I did look it up.

And yes, there was a “camp” that thought ASU got screwed. That is the point I was making (“Pretty much every comment about ASU's omission from the 2022 tournament field was essentially in agreement & shared the same sentiment.”). What I don’t recall seeing were posts defending ASU’s omission using the argument of RPI/SOS.
Where did I say that comments supporting RPI exclusion of Arizona State were to be found here? There was one glaringly obvious group that used the RPI shield – the freaking committee that left ASU out.

So tedious. Maybe go try to find nits to pick off someone else's hide?

wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:22 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:09 am
I did look it up.

Where did I say that comments supporting RPI exclusion of Arizona State were to be found here? There was one glaringly obvious group that used the RPI shield – the freaking committee that left ASU out.

So tedious. Maybe go try to find nits to pick off someone else's hide?

There is really no need to get so defensive. All I pointed out was that there was pretty much unanimous agreement about ASU's snub from the 2022 ASU tournament.

It's pretty clear that the selection committee is not who you were referring to when you said "But folks were nice and safe pointing to RPI as their shield.", but keep telling yourself whatever you need to to help you sleep at night, buddy.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Save your key strokes. Why I ever took you off the Pay No Mind list escapes me. I guess I thought with time passed you might have changed your M.O. Obviously not. Still and always attempting (and unsuccessfully, which is where most of the pest-y aspect resides), to nit-pickily show me where I'm wrong, and in that mind-numbingly boring way of yours.

jff97

Post by jff97 »

So right now in RPI the Big 10 has four teams in the top 6 (MD, NW, Michigan JHU). That means those teams will just keeping getting an RPI boost from playing each other the rest of the way, and should stay pretty high in the rankings as long as they don't lose to Ohio St., who is currently No. 56 in RPI. Looks like the tough scheduling paid off and those four teams gamed it well this year.
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

I would say the Big Ten has done a good job with their scheduling for sure. Only thing that is going to be interesting is how many teams get in. Right now- you have NW, Maryland, Michigan, and Hopkins as locks. PSU is flirting with disaster right now and with two losses, Rutgers is going to not make it as a 33 (although PSU made it last year at 33). 4 possible seeds for the big 10, but only 4 teams total.

Current top 25 RPI (pretty much the cutoff for everything) by conference:

ACC: 6 (3 in the top 10)
Big 10: 5 (4 in the top 10)
Ivy: 4 (TWO! in the Top 10, thinking brown will tumble out)
Patriot: 2 (1 in the top 10)
Pac 12: 2 (0 in the Top 10)
CAA: 2 (0 in the Top 10)
AAC: 2 (0 in the Top 10)
Big East: 1 (0 in the top 10)
MAC: 1

Based on last year, Ivy looks ready to take the Big East 3 teams sent.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Missing an A in MAAC. No way the MAC has a high RPI unless it is high school rankings
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

flushlax77 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:53 pm I would say the Big Ten has done a good job with their scheduling for sure. Only thing that is going to be interesting is how many teams get in. Right now- you have NW, Maryland, Michigan, and Hopkins as locks. PSU is flirting with disaster right now and with two losses, Rutgers is going to not make it as a 33 (although PSU made it last year at 33). 4 possible seeds for the big 10, but only 4 teams total.

Current top 25 RPI (pretty much the cutoff for everything) by conference:

ACC: 6 (3 in the top 10)
Big 10: 5 (4 in the top 10)
Ivy: 4 (TWO! in the Top 10, thinking brown will tumble out)
Patriot: 2 (1 in the top 10)
Pac 12: 2 (0 in the Top 10)
CAA: 2 (0 in the Top 10)
AAC: 2 (0 in the Top 10)
Big East: 1 (0 in the top 10)
MAAC: 1 (hat tip to laxfan99999999999 for pointing out the auto correct fueled deleting of an A)

Based on last year, Ivy looks ready to take the Big East 3 teams sent.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”