2024 FanLax Forum Poll

D3 Mens Lacrosse
StevieUAlum

Re: 2024 FanLax Forum Poll

Post by StevieUAlum »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:15 pm
StevieUAlum wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:13 pm Babson, Union, Endicott, Bowdoin & Williams. This is list of Northern teams who are middle of the road top 25 at best but are getting some serious (biased) love. Unions two losses are to two top 5 teams by a combined 19 goals. That doesn't equate to a top 15 ranking. All the rest are NESCAC schools with a soft OOC schedule. Gotta have some perspective.

The whole idea that the north is and always has been superior still blows my mind, at least try to post on here in a way that isn't biased.
Have you followed lacrosse this year? In matchups between upper level (for the region) teams, the north has won the vast majority of games this year. This isn't some sort of subjective opinion.
Considering my name on here I think you know I've watched, my Alma Mater puts on the biggest event of the year in D3 lacrosse, just a thought.

Secondly, what are you talking about? The teams I mentioned haven't played a single opponent from the South. SLU has two one goals wins against south opponents. Wouldn't call that dominating. Stevens whooped Wesleyan. Tufts beat Stevens by 13. RPI beats York by 1. Just bc CNU get dominated by a couple Northern teams you start jumping to conclusions. Oh and didn't Amherst just lose to a L-Burg team who is significantly down this year? L-Burg has a bad loss to Hamilton.

The ONLY North team with south wins of significance is RIT. And they took tufts to the woodshed at the classic.

Maybe do some homework next time bc dominated and losing close games are vastly different. Oh and btw it seems rather odd how no one in the North EVER schedules Salisbury. Want to go best vs best, gotta play the best year and year out. Only two northern teams playing the best teams OOC are consistently Tufts and RIT.
Last edited by StevieUAlum on Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

SixBySix wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:23 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:47 pm
SixBySix wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:20 pm
D3LaxFan2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:55 pm Can someone make an argument for Bowdoin to even be included in the top-20 at this point, that doesn't start with them being ranked top ten in the preseason?
Sure! Two good wins, no bad losses
Endicott was a bad loss, period.
Endicott is 8-1, only loss to Union by 2. #20 by Massey, #9 by Laxpower. Another team that clearly has a Top 20 resume right now, like it or not.
Massey and Laxpower ratings, no doubt, that are based part-in-parcel on them having beaten Bowdoin. So we base Bowdoins strength off of Endicott being strong, who is proven strong by them beating…. Bowdoin. Bowdoin entered the season ranked, and subsequently using this rationale we have created a self-fulfilling prophecy.
choochooCharlie

CentennialPundit wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:27 pm
D3LaxFan2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:55 pm Can someone make an argument for Bowdoin to even be included in the top-20 at this point, that doesn't start with them being ranked top ten in the preseason?
Endicott is 8-1, only loss to Union by 2. #20 by Massey, #9 by Laxpower. Another team that clearly has a Top 20 resume right now, like it or not.
I think most the arguments in this thread stem from whether you’re ranking the 20 best teams, or the 20 teams with the best resume. In D3 lax, where there is such a big discrepancy in teams, those are very different things. e.g I think York is one of the 20 best teams, but should they be ranked in the top 20- idk.
I’m a CNU guy, but I think the Bowdoin / York comparison is a great one. Ranked 10 and 11 pre-season respectfully, but from there it’s “a tale of two schedules.” York’s is easily in conversation for the toughest in DIII, and while they have played so many of them close as close can be (can’t get much closer than 1 goal or OT), 3 and 6 plus unranked is where they stand to date. Conversely, Bowdoin had just 1 ranked opponent until recently when Endicott began getting some love in the polls. Enjoying the far weaker OOC, they’ve gone 6-2 and still sit comfortably ranked.

The worst loss for each team are the comparably fringe top 20s, Endicott and Grove City. But again, unranked and #12 is where they sit. Scheduling strategies abound, and while York may have scheduled themselves into a “well tested AQ or bust scenario,” I see that as favorable to Bowdoin’s “laurel resting into the meat of conference play” scheme.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

StevieUAlum wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:32 pm
StevieUAlum wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:13 pm Babson, Union, Endicott, Bowdoin & Williams. This is list of Northern teams who are middle of the road top 25 at best but are getting some serious (biased) love. Unions two losses are to two top 5 teams by a combined 19 goals. That doesn't equate to a top 15 ranking. All the rest are NESCAC schools with a soft OOC schedule. Gotta have some perspective.

The whole idea that the north is and always has been superior still blows my mind, at least try to post on here in a way that isn't biased.
Have you followed lacrosse this year? In matchups between upper level (for the region) teams, the north has won the vast majority of games this year. This isn't some sort of subjective opinion.
Considering my name on here I think you know I've watched, my Alma Mater puts on the biggest event of the year in D3 lacrosse, just a thought.

Secondly, what are you talking about? The teams I mentioned haven't played a single opponent from the South. SLU has two one goals wins against south opponents. Wouldn't call that dominating. Stevens whooped Wesleyan. Tufts beat Stevens by 13. RPI beats York by 1. Just bc CNU get dominated by a couple Northern teams you start jumping to conclusions. Oh and didn't Amherst just lose to a L-Burg team who is significantly down this year? L-Burg has a bad loss to Hamilton.

The ONLY North team with south wins of significance is RIT. And they took tufts to the woodshed at the classic.

Maybe do some homework next time bc dominated and losing close games are vastly different. Oh and btw it seems rather odd how no one in the North EVER schedules Salisbury. Want to go best vs best, gotta play the best year and year out. Only two northern teams playing the best teams OOC are consistently Tufts and RIT.
Didn't Williams spank CNU recently?
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
liongoes

Post by liongoes »

choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:38 pm
Massey and Laxpower ratings, no doubt, that are based part-in-parcel on them having beaten Bowdoin. So we base Bowdoins strength off of Endicott being strong, who is proven strong by them beating…. Bowdoin. Bowdoin entered the season ranked, and subsequently using this rationale we have created a self-fulfilling prophecy.
you think computer rankings are based off human polls or conference bias instead of just raw numbers and actual results from games? :lol: too funny
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

BallHunt wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:05 pm

Didn't Williams spank CNU recently?

Correct. Three losses in total. SLU, Tufts & Williams.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:26 pm
CentennialPundit wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:27 pm
I think most the arguments in this thread stem from whether you’re ranking the 20 best teams, or the 20 teams with the best resume. In D3 lax, where there is such a big discrepancy in teams, those are very different things. e.g I think York is one of the 20 best teams, but should they be ranked in the top 20- idk.
I’m a CNU guy, but I think the Bowdoin / York comparison is a great one. Ranked 10 and 11 pre-season respectfully, but from there it’s “a tale of two schedules.” York’s is easily in conversation for the toughest in DIII, and while they have played so many of them close as close can be (can’t get much closer than 1 goal or OT), 3 and 6 plus unranked is where they stand to date. Conversely, Bowdoin had just 1 ranked opponent until recently when Endicott began getting some love in the polls. Enjoying the far weaker OOC, they’ve gone 6-2 and still sit comfortably ranked.

The worst loss for each team are the comparably fringe top 20s, Endicott and Grove City. But again, unranked and #12 is where they sit. Scheduling strategies abound, and while York may have scheduled themselves into a “well tested AQ or bust scenario,” I see that as favorable to Bowdoin’s “laurel resting into the meat of conference play” scheme.
Bowdoin has to make it out of NESCAC first before talking Tournament time.

York is most definitely a top 20 team. Tons of close losses, the ball bounces like the other way a couple times and who knows what their record is. Agree with the best resume vs the best team argument.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

StevieUAlum wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:32 pm Oh and btw it seems rather odd how no one in the North EVER schedules Salisbury. Want to go best vs best, gotta play the best year and year out.
I agree, it is weird that Salisbury never schedules top northern teams (or anyone outside a 3-4 hour radius by bus). RIT and Tufts (and CNU) have all gone out of region to play tough competition.

No one needs to obviously, it’s just better for the game and better for getting more reps vs. unfamiliar opponents…as you know because of the awesome event your alma mater hosts! Never understood why they refuse to do it.
Last edited by ah23 on Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

North Wins:
Tufts 18, CNU 10
Tufts 20, Stevens 7
Williams 18, CNU 12
Hamilton 16, Lynchburg 15
Wesleyan 23, Roanoke 16
Wesleyan 23, Stockton 10
Amherst 14, Swarthmore 11
Amherst 9, Gettysburg 8
RIT 11, York 10
RIT 15, W&L 9
RIT 17, Ursinus 11
St. Lawrence 9, York 8
St. Lawrence 13, CNU 12
RPI 11, York 10

South wins:
Stevens 16, Wesleyan 10
Lynchburg 15 Amherst 13

If none of those are wins of significance, then this an admission there is one good team in the south. It’s absolute one sided dominance this year. Not the northern teams fault that you think none of the southern teams are good enough to count as a quality win.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:41 pm If none of those are wins of significance, then this an admission there is one good team in the south. It’s absolute one sided dominance this year. Not the northern teams fault that you think none of the southern teams are good enough to count as a quality win.
While I would absolutely agree it's a great year for the north, Stockton and Ursinus are quite the stretch to include.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:41 pm

North Wins:
Tufts 18, CNU 10
Tufts 20, Stevens 7
Williams 18, CNU 12
Wesleyan 23, Roanoke 16
Wesleyan 23, Stockton 10
Amherst 9, Gettysburg 8
RIT 11, York 10
RIT 15, W&L 9
RIT 17, Ursinus 11
St. Lawrence 9, York 8
St. Lawrence 13, CNU 12
RPI 11, York 10

South wins:
Stevens 16, Wesleyan 10
Lynchburg 15 Amherst 13

If none of those are wins of significance, then this an admission there is one good team in the south. It’s absolute one sided dominance this year. Not the northern teams fault that you think none of the southern teams are good enough to count as a quality win.
Six one goal wins is dominating? Can tell you there wouldn't be a Sourh homer on here talking about "dominance" if that were the case.

Get some perspective.
choochooCharlie

StevieUAlum wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:42 pm

North Wins:
Tufts 18, CNU 10
Tufts 20, Stevens 7
Williams 18, CNU 12
Wesleyan 23, Roanoke 16
Wesleyan 23, Stockton 10
Amherst 9, Gettysburg 8
RIT 11, York 10
RIT 15, W&L 9
RIT 17, Ursinus 11
St. Lawrence 9, York 8
St. Lawrence 13, CNU 12
RPI 11, York 10

South wins:
Stevens 16, Wesleyan 10
Lynchburg 15 Amherst 13

Six one goal wins is dominating? Can tell you there wouldn't be a Sourh homer on here talking about "dominance" if that were the case.

Get some perspective.
It’s just part of the mentality. In typical years where the NUSAC is strong, the chatter is the overall conference dominance. That doesn’t exist this season because #downyear, so they lump in the Liberty league as part of a greater “North” that they can tout superiority through.

The conference might usually be the strongest, but the fans representing them here must’ve never been apart of that success as players. They’re like the dog that is constantly posturing and jockeying for dominance. Major sign that he’s never been the Alpha, and likely never will. #betamentality
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:07 pm

North Wins:
Tufts 18, CNU 10
Tufts 20, Stevens 7
Williams 18, CNU 12
Wesleyan 23, Roanoke 16
Wesleyan 23, Stockton 10
Amherst 9, Gettysburg 8
RIT 11, York 10
RIT 15, W&L 9
RIT 17, Ursinus 11
St. Lawrence 9, York 8
St. Lawrence 13, CNU 12
RPI 11, York 10

South wins:
Stevens 16, Wesleyan 10
Lynchburg 15 Amherst 13

Get some perspective.
It’s just part of the mentality. In typical years where the NUSAC is strong, the chatter is the overall conference dominance. That doesn’t exist this season because #downyear, so they lump in the Liberty league as part of a greater “North” that they can tout superiority through.

The conference might usually be the strongest, but the fans representing them here must’ve never been apart of that success as players. They’re like the dog that is constantly posturing and jockeying for dominance. Major sign that he’s never been the Alpha, and likely never will. #betamentality
In my opinion, the LL this year is better than the NESCAC. After all, I allegedly don't watch lacrosse but I do remember the game last month at my beautiful home Mustang Stadiun, where the LL #3 WHOOPED the NESCAC #1.

Furthermore, using pcow logic, since RIT beat Tufts, that would mean the top three LL teams are better than the best NESCAC team(s).
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:51 am

North Wins:
Tufts 18, CNU 10
Tufts 20, Stevens 7
Williams 18, CNU 12
Wesleyan 23, Roanoke 16
Wesleyan 23, Stockton 10
Amherst 9, Gettysburg 8
RIT 11, York 10
RIT 15, W&L 9
RIT 17, Ursinus 11
St. Lawrence 9, York 8
St. Lawrence 13, CNU 12
RPI 11, York 10

South wins:
Stevens 16, Wesleyan 10
Lynchburg 15 Amherst 13

Get some perspective.

In my opinion, the LL this year is better than the NESCAC. After all, I allegedly don't watch lacrosse but I do remember the game last month at my beautiful home Mustang Stadiun, where the LL #3 WHOOPED the NESCAC #1.

Furthermore, using pcow logic, since RIT beat Tufts, that would mean the top three LL teams are better than the best NESCAC team(s).
many NESCAC fans are overly annoying. not all. but many. probably the rudest home teams fans i have encountered and i have been to many D3 stadiums. many of the fans here are just as bad. i was reading in the NESCAC board about the RIT /Tufts game. someone made a comment about Rit Dominating Tufts and a fan freaked out and turned personal. funny, how someone on this thread referred to several 1 goal north over south wins as “dominating”, but when NESCAC losses, a 5 goal loss was just a fluke.

LL is by far the strongest conference this year.

when the dust settles and the selections are made, i expect the LL should have three teams make it. maybe 4. NESCAC really shouldn’t have more than 2
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Jumbo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:06 am

North Wins:
Tufts 18, CNU 10
Tufts 20, Stevens 7
Williams 18, CNU 12
Wesleyan 23, Roanoke 16
Wesleyan 23, Stockton 10
Amherst 9, Gettysburg 8
RIT 11, York 10
RIT 15, W&L 9
RIT 17, Ursinus 11
St. Lawrence 9, York 8
St. Lawrence 13, CNU 12
RPI 11, York 10

South wins:
Stevens 16, Wesleyan 10
Lynchburg 15 Amherst 13

Get some perspective.

many NESCAC fans are overly annoying. not all. but many. probably the rudest home teams fans i have encountered and i have been to many D3 stadiums. many of the fans here are just as bad. i was reading in the NESCAC board about the RIT /Tufts game. someone made a comment about Rit Dominating Tufts and a fan freaked out and turned personal. funny, how someone on this thread referred to several 1 goal north over south wins as “dominating”, but when NESCAC losses, a 5 goal loss was just a fluke.

when the dust settles and the selections are made, i expect the LL should have three teams make it. maybe 4. NESCAC really shouldn’t have more than 2
StevieU was originally talking about Northern teams success over Southern teams, or perceived lack thereof. Clearly, not considering "dominance," even with one goal wins (which count by the way, not sure why there's a qualification there) Northern teams have better aggregate success over Southern teams. Also, the Northern teams are more willing to travel south to play than Southern teams are willing to go north to play. Hat tip to CNU for going north to play the Jumbos.

Also clear is that the LL is the best conference.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

BallHunt wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:25 am

North Wins:
Tufts 18, CNU 10
Tufts 20, Stevens 7
Williams 18, CNU 12
Wesleyan 23, Roanoke 16
Wesleyan 23, Stockton 10
Amherst 9, Gettysburg 8
RIT 11, York 10
RIT 15, W&L 9
RIT 17, Ursinus 11
St. Lawrence 9, York 8
St. Lawrence 13, CNU 12
RPI 11, York 10

South wins:
Stevens 16, Wesleyan 10
Lynchburg 15 Amherst 13

Get some perspective.

StevieU was originally talking about Northern teams success over Southern teams, or perceived lack thereof. Clearly, not considering "dominance," even with one goal wins (which count by the way, not sure why there's a qualification there) Northern teams have better aggregate success over Southern teams. Also, the Northern teams are more willing to travel south to play than Southern teams are willing to go north to play. Hat tip to CNU for going north to play the Jumbos.

i can’t dispute any of this.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Jumbo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:51 am

North Wins:
Tufts 18, CNU 10
Tufts 20, Stevens 7
Williams 18, CNU 12
Wesleyan 23, Roanoke 16
Wesleyan 23, Stockton 10
Amherst 9, Gettysburg 8
RIT 11, York 10
RIT 15, W&L 9
RIT 17, Ursinus 11
St. Lawrence 9, York 8
St. Lawrence 13, CNU 12
RPI 11, York 10

South wins:
Stevens 16, Wesleyan 10
Lynchburg 15 Amherst 13

Get some perspective.

The Mustang Classic was created specifically bc the Northern teams didn't want to travel south early in the year to play quality teams.

The idea of hosting it during spring break was to give those schools and those kids a chance to play the best teams and have all the best teams in one location without it costing too much for the programs.

Missed me with that south teams don't travel north narrative.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:38 am
Jumbo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:51 am

North Wins:
Tufts 18, CNU 10
Tufts 20, Stevens 7
Williams 18, CNU 12
Wesleyan 23, Roanoke 16
Wesleyan 23, Stockton 10
Amherst 9, Gettysburg 8
RIT 11, York 10
RIT 15, W&L 9
RIT 17, Ursinus 11
St. Lawrence 9, York 8
St. Lawrence 13, CNU 12
RPI 11, York 10

South wins:
Stevens 16, Wesleyan 10
Lynchburg 15 Amherst 13

Get some perspective.

The Mustang Classic was created specifically bc the Northern teams didn't want to travel south early in the year to play quality teams.

The idea of hosting it during spring break was to give those schools and those kids a chance to play the best teams and have all the best teams in one location without it costing too much for the programs.

Missed me with that south teams don't travel north narrative.
Are you counting Owings Mills as North?
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

North Wins:
Tufts 18, CNU 10
Tufts 20, Stevens 7
Williams 18, CNU 12
Wesleyan 23, Roanoke 16
Wesleyan 23, Stockton 10
Amherst 9, Gettysburg 8
RIT 11, York 10
RIT 15, W&L 9
RIT 17, Ursinus 11
St. Lawrence 9, York 8
St. Lawrence 13, CNU 12
RPI 11, York 10

South wins:
Stevens 16, Wesleyan 10
Lynchburg 15 Amherst 13

Get some perspective.

Jumbo, I have a sneaking suspicion you are referring to me regarding the Tufts fan who reacted to the dominating comment. So, let me see this about that. I simply said that a three-goal game with about eight minutes to go, which ended up a five goal game when Tufts pressed out and RIT scored a couple goals late, including an empty netter, would not be considered dominating. Said poster then came back and made some false accusations, jumped to false conclusions and put words in my mouth. In my opinion, that was rude and I took offense to that. Was my response a little harsh? Probably. Did I “freak out” as you say? Well, I guess that’s a matter of opinion. But, in the words of Sly,” he drew first blood”! However, they always flag the second guy who takes a cheap shot! My bad.

And, by the way, I agree with you about the strength of the LL vs the NESCAC thus far this season. But, there’s a lot of lacrosse left to be played!
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

BallHunt wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:55 am Are you counting Owings Mills as North?
this is interesting. Maryland is in no man’s land for being north or south. but since lacrosse is a mid atlantic sport , MD is on the south side. i would have never considered PA or NJ or Ohio south. but lacrosse does.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”