Some parent rumblings from the stands this past weekend

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Some parent rumblings from the stands this past weekend

Post by LaxDadMax »

These are all rumors and 80% are probably not true, but what good is an internet message board if not to share unverified rumors?

I think #1 is pretty credible, given the source is a mother who was a former player.

1) Kirsten Kimel has told former players that next season will be her last. Some alums are planning a farewell tour for next year.

2) Julie Myers will actively seek a head coaching job this off-season. She had an offer this year(Quinnipiac) but wanted to see more games for her Stanford daughter's senior season.

3) There will be a vote on updating the recruiting timeline, starting for the class of 2027. Would mirror soccer and many other non-revenue sports with a June 15th first contact date but no visits are allowed until August. This would be part of an NCAA initiative to align key dates in as many sports as possible to simplify compliance.

4) Katrina Dowd is NOT getting along with the administration at Brown. Multiple times this year she has gotten into f-bomb laden screaming matches with athletic administrators.
Relax77

Re: Some parent rumblings from the stands this past weekend

Post by Relax77 »

That’s interesting. #1 you can probably ask Spidey for a money line. I’ll put a few thousand on it. Can’t wait to see the ripple effect it has. Would assume that is a lucrative spot for some top coach to jump to.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Very interesting re: the recruiting timeline. Forgive my ignorance but how does it work with other sports? Do kids see offers on 6/15? Or do they wait until August? I wonder if that summer contact would be helpful in crafting camps and showcases for the summer. It’s trickier with the no contact rule.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

lax410 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:34 am Very interesting re: the recruiting timeline. Forgive my ignorance but how does it work with other sports? Do kids see offers on 6/15? Or do they wait until August? I wonder if that summer contact would be helpful in crafting camps and showcases for the summer. It’s trickier with the no contact rule.
Never had a soccer player so someone else may be able to provide a bit more detail here. But offers can be made in mid-June, however, since you can't get on campus until August, there isn't that much of a rush with exploding offers, etc.

Actual committment dates are pretty similar for soccer and lax.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:57 am
lax410 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:34 am Very interesting re: the recruiting timeline. Forgive my ignorance but how does it work with other sports? Do kids see offers on 6/15? Or do they wait until August? I wonder if that summer contact would be helpful in crafting camps and showcases for the summer. It’s trickier with the no contact rule.
Never had a soccer player so someone else may be able to provide a bit more detail here. But offers can be made in mid-June, however, since you can't get on campus until August, there isn't that much of a rush with exploding offers, etc.

I wonder if they put that in because of what happened this September in which the recruiting process was “operation light speed.” I believe this year there was about 200 more kids done in September than previous. Then on October it went back to consistent numbers.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

I consistently see parents hand wringing on which school-specific camps to do over sophomore summer. For top recruits who are getting whispers through their club coaches this may be less an issue. But for those even slightly downstream it’d be very helpful to have some contact or communication after June 15.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:10 am

I wonder if they put that in because of what happened this September in which the recruiting process was “operation light speed.” I believe this year there was about 200 more kids done in September than previous. Then on October it went back to consistent numbers.
Some context on what I heard. Rumor is that this will be NCAA-driven, not driven by IWLCA coaches advisory board. Would impact some other sports as well. Goal is to create consistent calendars for most D-1 non-revenue sports.

I think the coaches will oppose this since it could cost them $$ in camp revenue.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:19 pm
Relax77 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:10 am

Some context on what I heard. Rumor is that this will be NCAA-driven, not driven by IWLCA coaches advisory board. Would impact some other sports as well. Goal is to create consistent calendars for most D-1 non-revenue sports.

I think the coaches will oppose this since it could cost them $$ in camp revenue.
The NCAA proposed this a few years ago and it passed with the exception of lacrosse due to pushback from lax coaches.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:27 am That’s interesting. #1 you can probably ask Spidey for a money line. I’ll put a few thousand on it. Can’t wait to see the ripple effect it has. Would assume that is a lucrative spot for some top coach to jump to.
Haha...funny, I definitely can see that one coming, but she may not have a choice about waiting a year.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:12 am These are all rumors and 80% are probably not true, but what good is an internet message board if not to share unverified rumors?

I think #1 is pretty credible, given the source is a mother who was a former player.

1) Kirsten Kimel has told former players that next season will be her last. Some alums are planning a farewell tour for next year.

2) Julie Myers will actively seek a head coaching job this off-season. She had an offer this year(Quinnipiac) but wanted to see more games for her Stanford daughter's senior season.

3) There will be a vote on updating the recruiting timeline, starting for the class of 2027. Would mirror soccer and many other non-revenue sports with a June 15th first contact date but no visits are allowed until August. This would be part of an NCAA initiative to align key dates in as many sports as possible to simplify compliance.

4) Katrina Dowd is NOT getting along with the administration at Brown. Multiple times this year she has gotten into f-bomb laden screaming matches with athletic administrators.

#4 is SHOCKING. I could have never seen that coming. No way. Mind blown.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:08 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:12 am These are all rumors and 80% are probably not true, but what good is an internet message board if not to share unverified rumors?

sarcastica font?
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:55 pm

sarcastica font?
"no comment" :lol:
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:55 pm

sarcastica font?
Winner winner, chicken dinner!
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Did she have that rep at Oregon too?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:06 am

Was the original poster was being sarcastic? If so, not a great post to go after Katrina who is VERY well respected. Now we have posters questioning what she did at Oregon.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Brownlax wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:14 am

Was the original poster was being sarcastic? If so, not a great post to go after Katrina who is VERY well respected. Now we have posters questioning what she did at Oregon.
I didn't take it that way. I think he was being sarcastic because she is known to be fiesty.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:17 am

I didn't take it that way. I think he was being sarcastic because she is known to be fiesty.
Unfortunately- there is a back story here. It was not sarcasm. I was trying to be nice with my last comment.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

For those having trouble reading between the lines - YES!!!

"...go after Katrina..." - are they 2 kids fighting on the playground? Or is someone going to get whacked here. RESPECTED in the coaches community, sure, but that doesn't mean she is savage with her admin. And she DEFINITELY wore out her welcome in Eugene along with other shenanigans. You don't leave a program after year TWO of a multi-year deal (with a team she was coaching up like crazy - much like this start up Brown team) unless there is some baggage.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”