Top 25 for 2024

HS Boys Lacrosse
WoodStick

Re: Top 25 for 2024

Post by WoodStick »

random observer wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:35 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:01 pm
FairLax wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:58 pm It is really so silly, there should simply be two polls, one for Private Schools (of any kind) and one for Publics. It does not matter if you take PG's or not, Wick, L'Ville etc while they do not have PG's many of the kids have re-classed which is fine, do not have any issues with that at all, but they should not be compared to a school that simply pulls from the students who live in a particular town. Do people move to these hotbed towns for Lacrosse, yes they do, but they are legit residents, and their kids are of the appropriate age. Schools like Chaminade and St A's might not have PG's or re-classes but they are pulling from all over LI so to compare them to publics does a disservice to the Publics. Same goes for the MIAA.
I'm fine with 2 polls, but then the question would become 'at what point in the private school poll do the public schools enter?

#10?

#20?

Would anyone suggest that the best public school is in the top 5 or 10?

Everyone just cares about the top grade poll. #1 in a poll which only includes teams that are #10 and below is less exciting.

Question: What happens when some kid reclasses at a public school for some reason and also is really good at lacrosse? Now are they tossed out of the tier 2 group?

How do we compare public schools with 2000 students to schools with 500 students? Do we need another layer here?

Occam's razor suggests that we just rank the flippin' teams. Those who want to only consider teams that don't reclass and don't PG and don't allow kids who turn 19 that year to play can do their own poll, but the way things are going, even kids who are 19 years old are still in high school. If I had new babies, I'd have then enter kindergarten as late as possible. So would most of you.

So we ask for a filter. Done deal!
As much as the landscape has shifted dramatically in favor of prep schools, I still contend that the best public schools can and do still compete with the prep schools, and I think to not have an overall ranking list for all programs is a disservice to said public school teams. It implies not that they are operating on a different playing field, but that they can't compete, which is absolutely not true. This narrative persists because there is an inherent evaluation bias against the public schools because they don't have a factory of D1 recruits; there are plenty of prep school kids that have ACC/B1G/Ivy names on their commit page who never play meaningful minutes at the next level, and plenty of public school kids going to lesser schools who then blow up in college and often get poached by the power programs. So at the beginning of the year when people make a pre-season list, of course they're going to include the MIAA team with 15 D1 commits over the public school power with half as many, even if it's not reflective of their relative talent. At the end of the day, I can't remember a single year where the best public school team wasn't among the 10 best in the country at year's end.

looking back just to 2023, Radnor may have been the best team period in PA , and they look to be strong again this year. Victor made the long trek from Rochester to Baltimore and split with two MIAA playoff teams. Darien had one of its worst teams in decades and still took down Brunswick -- they return almost their entire lineup and should be a threat to anyone in 2024. Manhasset got clipped in OT by Chaminade, but on the whole they were a nailed on top 10 team. We no longer have a dozen public schools on LI who can take down anyone on their day, but the best publics can and still do go toe-to-toe with the best privates/preps.
If I might interject, I agree with FairLax. Most athletic conferences in HS designate schools based on the size of the school. This is done to protect not only the integrity of the game but in football, for safety reasons.

I agree, that a Darien, Manhasset, you pick the great public school program, can compete and often do with the best Private Schools, but the list of schools that can do that over time is relatively short. Quint Kessinich in a recent column made the case that to rank a school that draws nationally like the NE West schools with a public school is nonsensical. And while St A's and Chaminade do not recruit nationally, they are still not allowed to participate in the NY State playoffs.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

IL has unveiled a public school top 25 ranking: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... lent/62827.
Finish Strong
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Glad they do that, a fun read. For a CT native, veru hard to get used to seeing Staples on such a lofty perch. We will see if they can sustain it but based on location, lax culture and, importantly, school size, they were always a if not sleeping then lounging giant.
5050roll

Post by 5050roll »

Sportin' Life wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:10 pm IL has unveiled a public school top 25 ranking: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... lent/62827.
Someone at IL had 30 minutes of free time and decided to wing it with an attempt at another ranking - this time it's public schools.  It's fascinating that a publication with so little man power and so little credibility, can just whip stuff out there with no insights and information into the regions where these schools play. Sure, make a call to a contact from their club scene network here and there and publish what they tell you. same ol lame attempt at coverage
coda

Post by coda »

Sportin' Life wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:10 pm IL has unveiled a public school top 25 ranking: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... lent/62827.
Most of this is meaningless, but I would like to see a top 8 tournament at the end of the year. Interesting to see Garden City top 5 after going 0-2 in the state of Texas last year, but no Texas team in the top 10.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

5050roll wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:57 pm
Someone at IL had 30 minutes of free time and decided to wing it with an attempt at another ranking - this time it's public schools.  It's fascinating that a publication with so little man power and so little credibility, can just whip stuff out there with no insights and information into the regions where these schools play. Sure, make a call to a contact from their club scene network here and there and publish what they tell you. same ol lame attempt at coverage
Agree with this sentiment. Thats why player rankings should also be taken with a grain of salt. Less empiric data and objectivity goes into these IL rankings than the maligned US News and World Report Rankings.

But that being said, I have to cut them some slack; not a lot of people out there trying to do something similar
WoodStick

Post by WoodStick »

I do give IL credit for finally separating the Publics for the Privates and it is pretty clear they just use the same formula, how many commits and especially how many athletes have gone thru their ranking system. On some level, you cannot really blame them, they are running a business and trying to do what is best for their organization. Also, we all (myself included) get all twisted up in this but at the end of the day it is just high school lacrosse and some perspective is probably warranted.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

coda wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:56 am
Most of this is meaningless, but I would like to see a top 8 tournament at the end of the year. Interesting to see Garden City top 5 after going 0-2 in the state of Texas last year, but no Texas team in the top 10.
To be fair, this ranking is for this year, not last, and I am sure if they had done this at the end of last year they wouldn’t have had GC in top 10 either. Not sure I really understand some of the hatred for this (not coda). There are thousands of teams. With publics, there is far fewer (though some) matchups between widely geographically spread teams. If this is garbage someone did in 20 minutes, let’s see someone else’s public top 25.
coda

Post by coda »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:04 am
coda wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:56 am
To be fair, this ranking is for this year, not last, and I am sure if they had done this at the end of last year they wouldn’t have had GC in top 10 either. Not sure I really understand some of the hatred for this (not coda). There are thousands of teams. With publics, there is far fewer (though some) matchups between widely geographically spread teams. If this is garbage someone did in 20 minutes, let’s see someone else’s public top 25.
Completely understand, but both Highland Park and Woodlands were young teams last year. How it plays out during the season is anyone's guess. With such limited data points (especially this early), it seems to me some ranking would be pretty reliant on any solid data you can have (even from last year).
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

A preseason poll at the high school level is a bit of a fool's errand. So many variables and so much information, but no easy way to filter and consolidate it. I put a lot of effort into following/writing up the ISL, which is 16 teams, and at least half of my preseason predictions look foolish by the end of every season. I couldn't imagine trying to do it for the entire country.

IL is trying to give the people what they want. Of course it's not perfect, but it provides something to discuss. I'm sure it'll look different in June after all the games have been played.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:10 am This may devolve into petty arguments but I figured it'd be good to have a thread dedicated to the national polls as opposed to this getting discussed on indiviual league/state threads.

Here is the IL preseason poll: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -top/62593

What do people think?

A lot of the usual suspects, and as has been pointed out in other spots, very few public school teams.

Holderness at 20 is interesting to me. They've really come on in the past few years, have some guys making an impact for college teams, and have a lot of committed players in the 24 and 25 classes. Unfortunately their schedule is pretty abysmal. League and location, as well as other NEPSAC schools not having a lot of open dates due to their own league obligations, kind of limit of what they can do. At the same time two of their non league games are Austin Prep and Roxbury Latin, which aren't games that will add much regional or national respect.

I'll add other polls (NLF, US Lacrosse, etc.) as I see them pop up.

#2 goes down to #4.
FC_YAK

Post by FC_YAK »

While these polls are a total crapshoot I do admit I love seeing 5 FCIAC schools in the public school top 25 (Staples, Darien, New Canaan, WIlton, Ridgefield). How the top 25 shakes out, honestly, I don't care. I love that for the last 20 years I have been able to watch great lacrosse in a public school league that is clearly high-caliber lacrosse. These schools are all really good as-is AND they all lose kids to the prep schools every year.

Everyone can debate which prep school is the best and who has PG's and holdbacks etc but I'll take the school pride and competitiveness of the FCIAC. It's a joy to watch these kids starting in 1st grade wearing their school colors and then getting their turn under the lights. I've spoken to countless families who had players come through the different schools and none of them would trade the experience.

It's not the same level as Taft, L'Ville, Wick, etc and that's just fine.

Hope all of the players out there have a successful and healthy season!!
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

Halftime Score:

Haverford 8
McDonogh 3

Final:

Haverford 14
McDonogh 7
Last edited by fordmaddoxford on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
random observer

Post by random observer »

MIAA taking it on the teeth today, and really on the year as a whole. Pretty stunned by the manner in which McDonogh is being put to the sword right now.

Can't wait for IL to keep them all in the poll without any consequences. Not like any these public school teams they've left off the top 25 could keep it competitive with Haverford.
Finster

Post by Finster »

random observer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:42 pm MIAA taking it on the teeth today, and really on the year as a whole. Pretty stunned by the manner in which McDonogh is being put to the sword right now.

Can't wait for IL to keep them all in the poll without any consequences. Not like any these public school teams they've left off the top 25 could keep it competitive with Haverford.

Time for Victor to run the clock!!! Let’s go!!
coda

Post by coda »

Malvern getting ready to make their case for #1. St Anthony's on Weds and Lawrenceville on Saturday.. Malvern is probably the most talented team in the country.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

coda wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:49 pm Malvern getting ready to make their case for #1. St Anthony's on Weds and Lawrenceville on Saturday.. Malvern is probably the most talented team in the country.
Where is Malvern-St.A? Wednesday looking like a monsoon in northeast.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:59 pm
coda wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:49 pm Malvern getting ready to make their case for #1. St Anthony's on Weds and Lawrenceville on Saturday.. Malvern is probably the most talented team in the country.
Where is Malvern-St.A? Wednesday looking like a monsoon in northeast.
Rutgers in NJ.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Does anyone know if there's a stream for St. A's v MP? I can't find one yet.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

grelch wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:19 pm Does anyone know if there's a stream for St. A's v MP? I can't find one yet.
sfbn appears to be streaming it. They even provide commentary! Search sfbn on YouTube. 4/4 at 7:00 p.m.
Last edited by fordmaddoxford on Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”