Polls

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Polls

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:37 am The Poll that Doesn't Matter:

1. Northwestern -- sorry, got to put them here, and it is like sticking an icepick in my foot. Sammy White is back.

What the hell happened between you and Northwestern, Sea? I thought I had a thing against Maryland (and I do) but you sound like a guy who's been traumatized by this team. lol. (I think it's hysterical by the way. Not criticizing in the least. More of it, please. I'm just curious as to how it all started. Was it a game? A series of games? What?

2. Syracuse -- losses to NU, Maryland and Stony Brook. As a certified homer (TM), I am discounting the Terp and SBU losses as stuff that happened almost to someone else, on another planet, in a fictional universe. I am convinced that Syracuse would beat them both now.

3. Notre Dame -- don't know what to say; when they are good, they are good. Put them here just because everyone else is brainfarting (yes, Virginia, I am looking at you).

4. Boston College -- they are here for now, but the fact is there is something I can't put my finger on that is missing here. I don't think Smith is "regressing," as someone said. She just isn't in the rhythm of this offense the way she was with previous teams. The win against UNC yesterday was OK, sort of workmanlike, nothing like the Syracuse pasting of UNC.

Agreed

5. Penn -- impressive and disciplined effort and result in Terptown mid-week.

6. Maryland -- good bounce-back win in Ann Arbor yesterday, and Reese and Phipps outcoached Nielsen and staff. Maryland's offense will be the thing that keeps them from the Final Four this year.

7. Michigan -- lost to Terps at home, in the first game (as usual, and I mean it: no offense to any other team) that actually mattered. This idiot observer thought that the immense tension on Nielsen's face the entire second half trickled down to her players and tightened them up for at least the entire 4th quarter. Reese, on the other hand, was smiling and making the players laugh and loose. It matters when the chips are down. Michigan's offense is, actually, pretty anemic.

Outstanding insights. You really study/watch the games. I don't know how you do it with 3 games humming at the same time, but... In any event, I didn't pay nearly as good attention so this is good shtuff.

8. Loyola -- played Colgate and -- surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!! -- won easily.

9. JHU -- very convincing win over a good -- not great -- JMU team. Twenty-one goals against a pretty able defense.

10. Florida -- just cruising along now. But realistically, since the relatively narrow win over Princeton (16-13), they haven't played anyone who could really be expected to give them a game. Let's see if JMU gives them a game in a couple of weeks.

Yale, Denver, and Virginia (losing to Duke is very nearly a felony; surprised these kids aren't in jail this morning) hovering just below.

OK, tell me how badly I f*cked up here. And since when did you become ol' Latrine Lips? lol
I don't see anything out of whack here. You have some positions I didn't choose but you always "show your work" as it were.

Great lines: Virginia (losing to Duke is very nearly a felony; surprised these kids aren't in jail this morning)

I am discounting the Terp and SBU losses as stuff that happened almost to someone else, on another planet, in a fictional universe. I am convinced that Syracuse would beat them both now.

And agreed on the Syracuse take, by the way.
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

Here is my poll that matters way less than Seacoster(1) poll. Great job on yours! I want to dedicate this to the user that goes by sleepdrifter who registered for their first post in order to compare me to ONW. Special thanks (no this is not sarcastic) to ONW for his well designed rebuttal to Mr. Sleepdrifter. Now to my dumb poll.

I decided to expand to a top 25 that the GOD awful IWLCA poll does. I am not sure why the don’t publish who is voting and who is not, but the lack of transparency aids the argument of how bad they are doing this year. If I am the executive director, I am overhauling the way they do things.

1. Penn- that’s right! A little spaceship to the top. 1 goal away from being undefeated if O’Grady wasn’t lights out in their game. Beat the most recent #1 and beat top #9 Hopkins. Ivy to the top!!! This feels like Army on the mens side, but they dominated #2 in my books

2. Maryland- Losses at home to Florida and Penn. Beat Michigan this weekend to bounce back after a no show to our new #1. I think Cuse has a real case to be here even though they lost to them earlier in the season (shout out to seacoaster for having the same thought)

3. Syracuse- beat Loyola in a midweek top 10 battle. Louisville win this past weekend. This is a what you have done lately for me because I think they are starting to roll a bit much like Seacoaster said. Only area of concern is in the net, which is crazy to think about based on her season last year

4. ND- Absolutely blew the doors off poor Pitt and added another post in the FU/padded stats thread. Beat the teams that they are ahead of. Feels right for them. AND YES I KNOW THAT I SAID BC WAS GOING TO DEMOLISH THEM I CAN BE WRONG @ the weird poster who went back to the game day thread during the Brown game.

5. Northwestern- righted the ship at the Tar Heels and Rutgers. Still shook about the PSU loss, especially as PSU unraveled in the 4th quarter in Columbus.

6. Michigan- I know dropping down to 6 and a team that they beat is currently ranked as #1. But loss to Maryland at home when you had #1 ranking there for the taking and I think Cuse/ND/NW would beat them.

7. Boston College- Took it to UNC behind a 7 for 7 shooting game from LoPinto. Really excited to see Yale play them this week. I can also see them starting to pick up speed towards the ACC tourney

8. Virginia- Seacoaster said it best. They beat ND, but you can see the cracks in their defense as teams become a little bit more used to the zone.

9. Loyola- Cuse vs Loyola was a fun and physical game. Don’t see them dropping out of the top 10 but not sure if they can rise above 8-10 range.

10. JHU- HAMMERED JMU. Great performance in net by Doucette. Hopkins has some big wins now, could they host in the tourney? Loss to Loyola early on hurts.

11. Florida- Beat Vandy. Will stay here until the JMU game most likely. Dare I say they are a dark horse?

12. Yale- 2 Top 12 Ivy Teams! They suffocated a Brown team that had a great offense coming in to the game. BC game is appointment viewing.

13. JMU- loss to Virginia, Loss to Maryland, and does the UNC win lose luster after they got crushed by Cuse/BC? Hopkins hammered them this weekend. Secondary scoring is the question for me.

14. Denver- uhhhhh that Georgetown game on the road. Yale late in the season will be huge for the Ivy

15. Stony Brook-Beat Cuse, lost to JHU. And Denver. Sign me up for the Yale game in a few weeks !!!! Also sorta interested in the Drexel game as well….could the CAA be a two bid league again?

16. UNC- I just dont see it. Current polls have them at 13!
17. Stanford- Stony Brook game on the Island is all that is left to give them a scare. Not sure on USC being a threat to them since they needed a big come back to beat Cal today.

18. Princeton- Big Game at Penn coming up Midweek. Let’s see if they can take down the number 1 team in the country. Big stretch coming up vs Penn, Loyola, Brown, Maryland, with Columbia sandwiched in. Could they be 2-3 in these games? 1-4? 3-2 probably locks up an AL bid.

19. Fairfield- Good chance to finish the regular season 16-1. What a head scratcher that opening game loss was against Holy Cross. Side note….Florida State should be calling Coach Field and seeing what it would take to get her to come down South. Fantastic job by her.

20. Drexel- Head scratching loss by them vs Fairfield (I know I have Fairfield at
21. Penn State- I give up on them. In the danger zone, has a must win vs Vandy (if they lose to Vandy, thats on them)
22. Clemson- Beat Duke. Close loss to ND. Hammered a solid VT team this past weekend.
23. Duke- Beat Harvard, lost to Clemson, lost to Navy. Played VT to a 1 goal game but JUST beat UVA
24. Harvard- Lost to Duke, Best win is over Brown, Browns best win is over….Albany?
25. Colorado- Big one coming up vs Denver! Win this and you are squarely in the mix for an invite to the dance. I like they better than USC.

Receiving Votes: Navy (lost to St. Joes), Brown (Lost to Yale), Richmond (my choice for gaining entry next week),
OuttaNowhereWregget

flushlax77 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:27 pm I want to dedicate this to the user that goes by sleepdrifter who registered for their first post in order to compare me to ONW. Special thanks (no this is not sarcastic) to ONW for his well designed rebuttal to Mr. Sleepdrifter.
Thank you for the compliment. I enjoyed putting it together. Including the clip from Winning Time regarding Indiana, most especially.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Flushlax's, and ONW's, and mine, all kind of make sense -- and that's one of the things making this a very interesting year. It is going to be interesting to see what the IWLCA says later today.

I just couldn't elevate Penn higher than No. 5, although with enough whiskey I could probably have put Penn above the Catholics. I just think NU, Syracuse and BC would beat them, and Notre Dame has a sufficient number of good wins to warrant the higher spot...for now. I'd love to see an Ivy in the mix at the top of the polls. Looking forward to the Penn-Princeton game this week.

I am waiting for the result of the Maryland-JHU game to make a decision on JHU. When I look at Hopkins's season, the body of work is good: losses to NU, Penn and Loyola (and this one a February game). Where I get conflicted is the strange set of scores like 10-9 over Georgetown, when a beat down was in order, the 14-12 win against SBU, when I expected SBU to win, and the crunching they put on JMU this weekend. On balance, I am starting to assume JHU is better than I think, and wish them well against Rutgers, MD, Michigan and We Are.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:13 am Flushlax's, and ONW's, and mine, all kind of make sense -- and that's one of the things making this a very interesting year. It is going to be interesting to see what the IWLCA says later today.

I just couldn't elevate Penn higher than No. 5, although with enough whiskey I could probably have put Penn above the Catholics. I just think NU, Syracuse and BC would beat them, and Notre Dame has a sufficient number of good wins to warrant the higher spot...for now. I'd love to see an Ivy in the mix at the top of the polls. Looking forward to the Penn-Princeton game this week.

I am waiting for the result of the Maryland-JHU game to make a decision on JHU. When I look at Hopkins's season, the body of work is good: losses to NU, Penn and Loyola (and this one a February game). Where I get conflicted is the strange set of scores like 10-9 over Georgetown, when a beat down was in order, the 14-12 win against SBU, when I expected SBU to win, and the crunching they put on JMU this weekend. On balance, I am starting to assume JHU is better than I think, and wish them well against Rutgers, MD, Michigan and We Are.
That Gtown game was played on a very cold, rainy night in a midweek game and was sloppy all around. Gtown was beating Denver almost the entire game on Friday before losing 11-10 as well. It's sports. Every team has a bad game against a team it should beat now and then, the key is to not lose them. ND had theirs against Clemson. NU had theirs against PSU. BC against Louisville. Loyola against Army. The list goes on and on.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:21 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:13 am Flushlax's, and ONW's, and mine, all kind of make sense -- and that's one of the things making this a very interesting year. It is going to be interesting to see what the IWLCA says later today.

That Gtown game was played on a very cold, rainy night in a midweek game and was sloppy all around. Gtown was beating Denver almost the entire game on Friday before losing 11-10 as well. It's sports. Every team has a bad game against a team it should beat now and then, the key is to not lose them. ND had theirs against Clemson. NU had theirs against PSU. BC against Louisville. Loyola against Army. The list goes on and on.
When you're right, you're right. Thanks, and, as I say, good luck the rest of the way.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:21 am That Gtown game was played on a very cold, rainy night in a midweek game and was sloppy all around. Gtown was beating Denver almost the entire game on Friday before losing 11-10 as well. It's sports. Every team has a bad game against a team it should beat now and then, the key is to not lose them. ND had theirs against Clemson. NU had theirs against PSU. BC against Louisville. Loyola against Army. The list goes on and on.
So well put. I am a devoted subscriber to this theory.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

USA Lax Magazine has Notre Dame at #1, mainly because they were ranked higher than Northwestern last week, beat the Wildcats and have better losses. I'm sure this will go over well with the people on this forum.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

jff97 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:10 am USA Lax Magazine has Notre Dame at #1, mainly because they were ranked higher than Northwestern last week, beat the Wildcats and have better losses. I'm sure this will go over well with the people on this forum.
USless Lax is living up to its reputation
OuttaNowhereWregget

Quick comparison of the Top 10

USA Lax Mag

Notre Dame
Northwestern
Syracuse
Boston College
Penn

Maryland
Michigan
Loyola
Johns Hopkins
Virginia

IL Women/IWLCA

Northwestern
Maryland
Syracuse
Boston College
Michigan

Notre Dame
Penn
Loyola
Johns Hopkins
Florida
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

US Lacrosse Magazine Poll uses that 20 spot each week to highlight a team that did something great the week before. It’s fine, but it seems like Ohio State stuns Penn State, so they get the 20 spot. Not sure if there is anything else in their resume (next best win RPI is 4-8 Marquette) I applaud them for putting the Tar Heels at 16. Not sure if duke who has losses to 2 unranked teams (Navy/Clemson) deserve to be in there over Drexel?

The IWLCA/IL Women poll is an abject disaster again. Consider the following:

Navy loses to 6-5 unranked St. Joes and only goes to 19! I bet they have a coach on the voting panel.
USC lost to unranked Dartmouth (6th-7th team in the Ivy) and is still ranked 21. Their best win is Temple.
Harvard has lost twice but it is still in the top 25 and higher ranked than Fairfield.
Duke has been embarrassed by unranked teams and every good team they played in the ACC
Penn State loses to Ohio State and stays in at 22
Poor Penn beats number 1 and only goes to 7 after weeks of being disrespected
Stony Brook beats cuse, Cuse smokes UNC…the poll says UNC is 14 and SBU is 15

Maybe take seacoast, mine, and ONW polls and use that. At least there is some brain cells being used
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Interesting take on the 20 spot. My daughter pointed that out to me and I was surprised to see that OSU was 20 after beating, if we're being honest, a mediocre PSU team that happened to get 1 great win. You might be on to something. Going to be hard for them to stick around in the top 20 for too long I'd suspect. Now I'm anxious to see who USLM slates at 20 next week!
OuttaNowhereWregget

flushlax77 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:29 pm Maybe take...and ONW polls and use that. At least there is some brain cells being used

Must have me mixed up with some whole other body. Most of my brain cells got used up (read: destroyed) in high school.
OuttaNowhereWregget

flushlax77 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:29 pm Duke has been embarrassed by unranked teams and every good team they played in the ACC
Don't be dissin' on Ginny, now. Duke looked impressive making the Cavs look pedestrian.
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:26 am
flushlax77 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:29 pm Duke has been embarrassed by unranked teams and every good team they played in the ACC
Don't be dissin' on Ginny, now. Duke looked impressive making the Cavs look pedestrian.
I stand corrected on my statement for sure and thank you for pointing that out. Virginia was a fabulous and season defining win for Duke. Meant to refer to more the other ACC matchups

Clemson 11-20
Syracuse 8-15
Boston College 3-18
OuttaNowhereWregget

flushlax77 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:11 pm
I stand corrected on my statement for sure and thank you for pointing that out. Virginia was a fabulous and season defining win for Duke. Meant to refer to more the other ACC matchups

Clemson 11-20
Syracuse 8-15
Boston College 3-18
Duke is a puzzle. Have been for a while.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:38 pm

Clemson 11-20
Syracuse 8-15
Boston College 3-18
Duke is STILL overrated. Not a puzzle...just one good win. Lots of these "one-offs" happening this year. I'm not backer of Clemson, but how can Duke be ranked and Clemson not after almost running clocking them???
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

spidey44 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:41 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:38 pm

Clemson 11-20
Syracuse 8-15
Boston College 3-18
Duke is STILL overrated. Not a puzzle...just one good win. Lots of these "one-offs" happening this year. I'm not backer of Clemson, but how can Duke be ranked and Clemson not after almost running clocking them???
Because Clemson's coach isn't in the club. I swear these coaches do their best to keep the old guard around by ranking them and getting them into NCAAs.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

hmmm wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:49 pm
spidey44 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:41 pm
Because Clemson's coach isn't in the club. I swear these coaches do their best to keep the old guard around by ranking them and getting them into NCAAs.
That actually makes a lot of sense unfortunately...
OuttaNowhereWregget

spidey44 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:41 pm Duke is STILL overrated. Not a puzzle...just one good win. Lots of these "one-offs" happening this year. I'm not backer of Clemson, but how can Duke be ranked and Clemson not after almost running clocking them???
Duke's one good win is better than any Clemson has had this year. That's why I rank Duke ahead of Clemson--at this point anyway.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”