Polls

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Polls

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

February 19, 2024: It's too, too early for this business, but here is a top ten. Plenty of room for disagreement.

1. Boston College (nice win over Jacksonville, I guess; still have to play someone competitive. No. 1 because NU lost -- simple as that)
2. Northwestern (No. 2 because they lost; I think they win the rematch, but the Catholics showed how to do it)
3. Notre Dame (No. 3 because they beat the former No. 1 which is now No. 2, and will likely make their way to No. 1 again)
4. Michigan (did not see the Denver game, but happy to see the zone busted for the weekend; time will tell)
5. Maryland (wins over St. Joe's, and Syracuse, in the Dome; showed decent poise in the belly of the beast).
6. JMU (wasn't impressed at the home win against UNC, less impressed by the win over UConn; but they won both games, so here I am)
7. UNC (nice win over a Florida team that seems to be floundering; still, the upside for this team is pretty significant, just lots of talent)
8. Denver (grudgingly here; not a believer, and happy to eat crow about it later)
9. Loyola (win over a weak'ish Florida and weak American; the Charles Street contest will tell us a bit more, but I like the way Loyola moves the ball around on offense)
10. Syracuse (I think the 8 goals against Maryland was anemic, and a concern. The win over West Point doesn't look so good now, huh?)

I have no idea where Johns Hopkins and Stony Brook are headed. JHU is 3-0, but the swing through the Hudson Valley didn't tell me much, and the win over Duke was a lot closer than I thought it would be. SBU got a good win over a well-coached Dartmouth team, but hardly a powerhouse.
forthelaxofit

Re: Polls

Post by forthelaxofit »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:56 am February 19, 2024: It's too, too early for this business, but here is a top ten. Plenty of room for disagreement.

1. Boston College (nice win over Jacksonville, I guess; still have to play someone competitive. No. 1 because NU lost -- simple as that)
2. Northwestern (No. 2 because they lost; I think they win the rematch, but the Catholics showed how to do it)
3. Notre Dame (No. 3 because they beat the former No. 1 which is now No. 2, and will likely make their way to No. 1 again)
4. Michigan (did not see the Denver game, but happy to see the zone busted for the weekend; time will tell)
5. Maryland (wins over St. Joe's, and Syracuse, in the Dome; showed decent poise in the belly of the beast).
6. JMU (wasn't impressed at the home win against UNC, less impressed by the win over UConn; but they won both games, so here I am)
7. UNC (nice win over a Florida team that seems to be floundering; still, the upside for this team is pretty significant, just lots of talent)
8. Denver (grudgingly here; not a believer, and happy to eat crow about it later)
9. Loyola (win over a weak'ish Florida and weak American; the Charles Street contest will tell us a bit more, but I like the way Loyola moves the ball around on offense)
10. Syracuse (I think the 8 goals against Maryland was anemic, and a concern. The win over West Point doesn't look so good now, huh?)

I have no idea where Johns Hopkins and Stony Brook are headed. JHU is 3-0, but the swing through the Hudson Valley didn't tell me much, and the win over Duke was a lot closer than I thought it would be. SBU got a good win over a well-coached Dartmouth team, but hardly a powerhouse.
This looks pretty reasonable to me. I would have Northwestern 4 behind ND and Michigan (after all a ND win has to count). I would also switch Maryland and JMU. JMU win over UNC is a stronger win in my opinion than a Maryland over Syracuse. At this point just don't know how good Syracuse is, but UNC is still a very deep and talented team
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Great reading. Always a chuckle. Always compelling points and observations.

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

forthelaxofit wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:06 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:56 am February 19, 2024: It's too, too early for this business, but here is a top ten. Plenty of room for disagreement.

This looks pretty reasonable to me. I would have Northwestern 4 behind ND and Michigan (after all a ND win has to count). I would also switch Maryland and JMU. JMU win over UNC is a stronger win in my opinion than a Maryland over Syracuse. At this point just don't know how good Syracuse is, but UNC is still a very deep and talented team
You're certainly not crazy. I think reasonable people could agree with everything you say. On Notre Dame, I just think NU is the better team and will be over time. But flipping them now, in mid-February, would be fine too. I will say, I am not a believer that JMU is that good, much as I like their coach. Agree with you on UNC.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

I have no problem with ND being 2. JMU at 3. Ok. I can see it. How some teams like PSU stays on this list. 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

IL’s rankings as always is a joke. I have no problem with ND being 2. JMU at 3. Ok. I can see it. How some teams like PSU stays on this list. 🤷🏻‍♂️.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

After Watching a lot of games the first couple of weeks, I think Arizona State deserves some looks for the polls. The goal
Scorer form Mercer seems to be a good pickup. It will be interesting to see what they do with better competition but they looked really good so far. Olay Stony Brook, Michigan and Florida in next 3 so we will find out quickly how good they are.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxfan9999 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:10 pm After Watching a lot of games the first couple of weeks, I think Arizona State deserves some looks for the polls. The goal
Scorer form Mercer seems to be a good pickup. It will be interesting to see what they do with better competition but they looked really good so far. Stony Brook, Michigan and Florida in next 3 so we will find out quickly how good they are.
My guess is they'll be dragged by all three.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

laxfan9999 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:10 pm After Watching a lot of games the first couple of weeks, I think Arizona State deserves some looks for the polls. The goal
Scorer form Mercer seems to be a good pickup. It will be interesting to see what they do with better competition but they looked really good so far. Olay Stony Brook, Michigan and Florida in next 3 so we will find out quickly how good they are.
Looks for what? They have beaten Xavier, Niagara, Pittsburgh, and Sisters of the Blind...
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:35 pm IL’s rankings as always is a joke. I have no problem with ND being 2. JMU at 3. Ok. I can see it. How some teams like PSU stays on this list. 🤷🏻‍♂️.
IL always has unhealthy fascinations based on past events that are way out of date. That bias shines through every time we look at these rankings.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

intheknow247 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:46 pm
Looks for what? They have beaten Xavier, Niagara, Pittsburgh, and Sisters of the Blind...
Be nice. And check the box. Laxfan’s kid goes to ASU. 😁
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:50 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:35 pm IL’s rankings as always is a joke. I have no problem with ND being 2. JMU at 3. Ok. I can see it. How some teams like PSU stays on this list. 🤷🏻‍♂️.
IL always has unhealthy fascinations based on past events that are way out of date. That bias shines through every time we look at these rankings.
It also gets tough, especially early in the season. Once you get past the top 10-15 you can choose about 20 different teams to be 16-25. The pollsters love to keep UConn and UMass ranked when historically they don't beat anyone good. UConn is 0-2 and IL still has them ranked and doesn't have Fairfield ranked. Meanwhile they lost to Fairfield who is 2-1 with wins over UConn and Albany(who was ranked the first two weeks and played Hopkins and BC tough). Yes, UConn played JMU close thanks to a bunch of late man up goals but no way they should be ranked over Fairfield.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

hmmm wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:58 pm
It also gets tough, especially early in the season. Once you get past the top 10-15 you can choose about 20 different teams to be 16-25. The pollsters love to keep UConn and UMass ranked when historically they don't beat anyone good. UConn is 0-2 and IL still has them ranked and doesn't have Fairfield ranked. Meanwhile they lost to Fairfield who is 2-1 with wins over UConn and Albany(who was ranked the first two weeks and played Hopkins and BC tough). Yes, UConn played JMU close thanks to a bunch of late man up goals but no way they should be ranked over Fairfield.
All true. Fairfield is a solid team that competes for the conference, but it's one of the unpopular because it isn't a P5 football school. You'll sometimes see Mercer make something, but don't hold your breath on Fairfield, Coastal, or other programs. Even though Fairfield is better than Coastal, they will be treated as the same--redheaded step children. (I like redheads, btw :lol: )
OuttaNowhereWregget

intheknow247 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:46 pm
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:09 pm
hmmm wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:58 pm
All true. Fairfield is a solid team that competes for the conference, but it's one of the unpopular because it isn't a P5 football school. You'll sometimes see Mercer make something, but don't hold your breath on Fairfield, Coastal, or other programs. Even though Fairfield is better than Coastal, they will be treated as the same--redheaded step children. (I like redheads, btw :lol: )
Hell, UConn isn't even IN a football conference! Maybe they're leaning on the hoops success...
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Fairfield also has one of the worst losses of the season to Holy Cross.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Good young coaching staff....ASU has picked two good HCs recently (Tim Mc and Taryn VT) - Wakefield and Warden have both had success at the top level...if they can catch a big win in those 3, they will start to get noticed....
25and32LaxDad

Post by 25and32LaxDad »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:07 pm
Good young coaching staff....ASU has picked two good HCs recently (Tim Mc and Taryn VT) - Wakefield and Warden have both had success at the top level...if they can catch a big win in those 3, they will start to get noticed....
My daughter loves Wakefield and heard great things about Warden. Guessing ASU finishes 9-8 (Losses via SB, Michigan, Vandy, USC, Stanford, CU, DU, Oregon). Hope they pull off some upsets and look forward to catching their games against USC and SDSU.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

25and32LaxDad wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:07 pm
My daughter loves Wakefield and heard great things about Warden. Guessing ASU finishes 9-8 (Losses via SB, Michigan, Vandy, USC, Stanford, CU, DU, Oregon). Hope they pull off some upsets and look forward to catching their games against USC and SDSU.
I am a HUGE Caroline Wakefield fan. She brings such great energy to a program. I also love the way she plays.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:24 pm
25and32LaxDad wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:07 pm
I am a HUGE Caroline Wakefield fan. She brings such great energy to a program. I also love the way she plays.
She doesn't play for ASU though...

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”