Polls

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Polls

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Well said, D.

I invited some friends over for lunch one day after I had made a pot of sauce the day before. You ain't lying when you say genuine Italian gravy/spaghetti sauce needs to be stirred all day, especially if you want it to taste right. The mother took one bite and asked if I had any sugar. I had no idea why she was asking for it but, I'm the host so I brought out the bowl of sugar. She proceeded to sprinkle a couple of heaping teaspoons over the pasta. Suffice it to say I was mildly stunned.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yeah, I've seen a number of Italians put sugar in their sauce/gravy. Supposed to somewhat neutralize the acidity of the tomatoes, I guess....I don't do that.
Here's a another example of how some people just see things differently (too funny).
· ·
I mowed the lawn today, and after doing so
I sat down and had a cold beer.
The day was really quite beautiful, and the drink facilitated some deep thinking.
My wife walked by and asked me what I was doing,
and I said, "Nothing."
The reason I said "nothing" instead of saying "just thinking" is because she then would have asked, "About what?"
At that point I would have had to explain that men are deep thinkers about various topics, which would lead to other questions.
Finally I pondered an age old question: Is giving birth more painful than getting kicked in the nuts?
Women always maintain that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts, but how could they know?
Well, after another beer, and some more heavy deductive thinking, I have come up with an answer to that question.
Getting kicked in the nuts is more painful than having a baby, and even though I obviously couldn't really know, here is the reason for my conclusion:
A year or so after giving birth, a woman will often say, "It might be nice to have another child."
But you never hear a guy say, "You know, I think I would like another kick in the nuts."
I rest my case.
Time for another beer. Then maybe a nap.
Unknown Author~
OuttaNowhereWregget

In the sauce while it's cooking--sure, I've heard of a teaspoon or so. I use a tablespoon of honey. But after the sauce is made? First time I ever saw that.

I'm glad I no longer have to deal with wifely questions. Don't miss that for even a second. I can get up at 3 o'clock in the morning, pour me out a bowl of Rice Krispies, and plunk down on the sofa with a rerun of the Beverly Hillbillies on the tube--and ain't nobody's bidness but my own.

The author unknown has rock solid logic on that story, by the way.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

#1 .. the flag trimmed beauties of Old Bay field

Then who?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:59 pm #1 .. the flag trimmed beauties of Old Bay field

Then who?
They will definitely be #1 tomorrow. Tough final 6 games for them. If they can get through that they’ll deserve a bye even if they lose in B1G tourney. Their RPI is at #3 now. It will only go up if they win out with this schedule.

Penn
Michigan
Northwestern
Hopkins
PSU
Princeton
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:59 pm #1 .. the flag trimmed beauties of Old Bay field

Then who?
:lol:

Big Blue is still undefeated. :roll:

I'm good either way. It will be good to beat the #1 ranked team twice in a season. :D
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

NULax2 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:09 pm

Then who?

I'm good either way. It will be good to beat the #1 ranked team twice in a season. :D

Big Blue? Who is that Paul Bunyans OX ?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Top 20 - Week 7

1. Michigan
2. Syracuse
3. Northwestern
4. Maryland - (Fenny ol' bean. Stick your flag trimmed beauties where the sun don't shine) 🤣
5. Virginia

6. Loyola
7. Notre Dame
8. Boston College
9. James Madison
10. Denver

11. Yale
12. Penn St
13. Pennsylvania
14. Johns Hopkins
15. Florida

16. North Carolina
17. Stony Brook
18. Brown
19. Stanford
20. Princeton

New rule--don't come critiquing my rankings unless you have your own to present.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

hmmm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:07 pm

Then who?
They will definitely be #1 tomorrow. Tough final 6 games for them. If they can get through that they’ll deserve a bye even if they lose in B1G tourney. Their RPI is at #3 now. It will only go up if they win out with this schedule.

Penn
Michigan
Northwestern
Hopkins
PSU
Princeton
Totally tough schedule . The hardest games are at home and easier away which is a positive. They are frustratingly inconsistent but I think they have the greatest depth and the most players of emerging impact ..very big upside have not come close to reaching their potential and often fall into lulls.
Last edited by Essexfenwick on Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hello

Post by Hello »

Glad to see the Ivy teams finally getting more respect.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

At this point, and in view of the games the past few weekends, this whole poll thing has become either really interesting or really frustrating and futile, depending on your point of view. As a lapsed Catholic and Syracuse fan, it has been frustrating and guilt-ridden, as it should be.

1. Maryland -- W.T.F.? Terps are only here this week. As hmmm has noted, the next run of games will have a decisive effect on their season. Penn will test them. If they get past Penn -- and it is an "if" -- then we will finally find out if Michigan is any good.

2. Northwestern -- much to my chagrin, I still think, even without Sammy, this is the best team out there. And I hate that, hate that I am saying it, and need -- at 9:41 AM -- to get a drink.

3. Michigan -- undefeated. That's it, that's the write up. Let's talk Saturday afternoon, after Terps travel to Ann Arbor. Parenthetically, I am involved in a case against a Michigan alum, and he's an as*hole and has a whole Go Blue act that pisses me off. So there's that.

4. Syracuse -- admit it: they look really good when they look really good. UVA game was tight throughout, and long suffering fans like me and DMac watched - and waited for -- the NetherGods of Bad Shooting and Bad Clearing and Dum Decision-Making take over many a game. No show. Poised, confident and smart. Like to see them keep it up in the upcoming OOC game against Loyola.

5. UVA -- as I have said, I am impressed by this team.

6. Notre Dame -- 9-2 now, with three one goal games in a row, saved by (of course) a New Jersey kid (right Bill?). Two of those three games shouldn't have been close, no offense to Brown State and Clemson (or that luscious South Carolina weather). If Notre Dame wins the National Championship, I will be a little surprised. If it loses in the quarters, I won't be surprised.

7. Boston College -- 9-2. Losses to NU and UND. Last Saturday's game against Notre Dame is a game we have all become conditioned to believe that BC would win. They didn't. Not sure BC will find the magic in time.

8. JMU -- good team, not great.

9. Loyola -- it'll be interesting to watch the Hounds Wednesday in the Dome. Loyola has three games of note left on its schedule -- Cuse, Princeton and Penn.

10. Denver -- I put them here, but I gotta say, I thought about putting Penn, Yale, and Hopkins, and wonder if I am giving the Pioneers a little legacy boost from last season. If you look at Denver's body of work this year, every time -- save perhaps Stony Brook -- they have played a good team, they have lost (Michigan, NU and Terps). Pios play Yale in April in the Philly area. Should be illuminating.

Still shaping up to be a potential clusterf*ck of a May. Fingers crossed.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Outstanding. These are always a compelling and amusing read. I liken them to a Bob Ryan article. Thanks, Sea. Good eatin', as they say.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:01 am At this point, and in view of the games the past few weekends, this whole poll thing has become either really interesting or really frustrating and futile, depending on your point of view. As a lapsed Catholic and Syracuse fan, it has been frustrating and guilt-ridden, as it should be.

1. Maryland -- W.T.F.? Terps are only here this week. As hmmm has noted, the next run of games will have a decisive effect on their season. Penn will test them. If they get past Penn -- and it is an "if" -- then we will finally find out if Michigan is any good.

2. Northwestern -- much to my chagrin, I still think, even without Sammy, this is the best team out there. And I hate that, hate that I am saying it, and need -- at 9:41 AM -- to get a drink.

3. Michigan -- undefeated. That's it, that's the write up. Let's talk Saturday afternoon, after Terps travel to Ann Arbor. Parenthetically, I am involved in a case against a Michigan alum, and he's an as*hole and has a whole Go Blue act that pisses me off. So there's that.

4. Syracuse -- admit it: they look really good when they look really good. UVA game was tight throughout, and long suffering fans like me and DMac watched - and waited for -- the NetherGods of Bad Shooting and Bad Clearing and Dum Decision-Making take over many a game. No show. Poised, confident and smart. Like to see them keep it up in the upcoming OOC game against Loyola.

5. UVA -- as I have said, I am impressed by this team.

6. Notre Dame -- 9-2 now, with three one goal games in a row, saved by (of course) a New Jersey kid (right Bill?). Two of those three games shouldn't have been close, no offense to Brown State and Clemson (or that luscious South Carolina weather). If Notre Dame wins the National Championship, I will be a little surprised. If it loses in the quarters, I won't be surprised.

7. Boston College -- 9-2. Losses to NU and UND. Last Saturday's game against Notre Dame is a game we have all become conditioned to believe that BC would win. They didn't. Not sure BC will find the magic in time.

8. JMU -- good team, not great.

9. Loyola -- it'll be interesting to watch the Hounds Wednesday in the Dome. Loyola has three games of note left on its schedule -- Cuse, Princeton and Penn.

10. Denver -- I put them here, but I gotta say, I thought about putting Penn, Yale, and Hopkins, and wonder if I am giving the Pioneers a little legacy boost from last season. If you look at Denver's body of work this year, every time -- save perhaps Stony Brook -- they have played a good team, they have lost (Michigan, NU and Terps). Pios play Yale in April in the Philly area. Should be illuminating.

Gonna be the most fun tourney in years.
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

The coaches poll is one of the worst things that I have ever seen in my time in sports. Who is voting? The Penn slight is unreal and is indefensible (coming from me, who has been a bit of wet blanket as it comes to the ivy and their chances)

1. Michigan- I see them as Army on the men’s side. They are undefeated, they beat Penn, but I don’t know if we see them on final 4 weekend
2. Maryland- Beat Cuse, Beat Denver, and the Florida Loss still doesn’t make sense
3. Cuse- Beat the hottest team in the country on the road. Lost to Maryland in OT, this is definitely taking into account the last 4 games. Stony Brook loss is tough for the optics of this ranking. Beat ND on the road
4. UVA- Lost to Cuse so they drop, I want to see them vs UNC in the ACC tourney
5. Notre Dame- a ton of scares the last few games. I feel like I do with Michigan, they beat NW and the beat BC. Lost to UVA who is one ahead of them.
6. Northwestern- Beat BC, lost to Notre Dame, and made PSU season this past weekend. Are injuries starting to catch up to them
7. Boston College- Are they good? Yes. Have they beat anyone of note? Not yet. Got my eyes on the Yale and BC game coming up. Is the Ivy really good? Because if Yale is a top 2 Ivy team, they need to beat a top 5 ACC team.
8. Loyola- Cuse vs Loyola will be a fun one! They WILL jump top 5 if they get the win there
9. JMU- loss to Virginia, Loss to Maryland, and does the UNC win lose luster after they got crushed by Cuse? Hopkins this weekend and Florida Mid-April
10. Penn- Lost to the number one team in my dumb poll by 1 goal. This is by far the toughest team to place. Is the Ivy really good?
11. Florida- CRUISING through their schedule until the showdown with JMU
12. Denver- Could see them getting back up in the top 10 as they start their thrashing of a Big East conference that is way down. Yale on 4/22 is a huge one for the Ivy and multiple bids
13. JHU- Beat Stony Brook, I think they can be anywhere between 11-13. Probably on the low end here.
14. Stony Brook-Beat Cuse, lost to JHU. Will sit here for now on
15. UNC- Lost to Cuse at the dome, Stony Brook won at the dome. Only difference. Can also say that Teeter and Louisville went down there and played them tough. Keep an eye on the Cardinals in the tournament and the last game of the regular season vs ND.
16. Yale- I wanted to put them at 13, but they have 3 big games coming up against Brown, BC, Penn, and Harvard. Go 3-1 and you are in the top 12.
17. Stanford- I think all the polls are severely downplaying how good this team is. Beat on Colorado on the road. Has a Stony Brook game in April that will be interesting to watch
18. Princeton- They beat Penn State who just beat NW, thats why they are here. Not sure how talented they really are. Every game to make a statement, they have lost (Florida, Yale, Virginia). Jacksonville and Cornell played them tight. Penn and Loyola coming up to see where they really stand.
19. PSU- Beat NW, really big time performance with backs against the wall.
20. Fairfield- Loss to a Holy Cross team that has exceeded expectations. It was between them and Drexel for this spot. They beat Drexel. Probably will lose in the first round.

Tiers:

Tier 1:
Michigan, Marryland, Syracuse, UVA, Notre Dame, Northwestern,

Tier 2:
BC, Loyola, JMU, Penn, Florida, UNC, Stony Brook, JHU, Denver, Yale

Tier 3: (all of these teams are somewhere between (17-28 in the country)
Stanford, Princeton, PSU, Fairfield, Drexel, Navy, Clemson, Colorado, Brown, Harvard, Louisville, Lindenwood,
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

flushlax77 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:44 pm The coaches poll is one of the worst things that I have ever seen in my time in sports. Who is voting? The Penn slight is unreal and is indefensible (coming from me, who has been a bit of wet blanket as it comes to the ivy and their chances)

1. Michigan- I see them as Army on the men’s side. They are undefeated, they beat Penn, but I don’t know if we see them on final 4 weekend
2. Maryland- Beat Cuse, Beat Denver, and the Florida Loss still doesn’t make sense
3. Cuse- Beat the hottest team in the country on the road. Lost to Maryland in OT, this is definitely taking into account the last 4 games. Stony Brook loss is tough for the optics of this ranking. Beat ND on the road
5. Notre Dame- a ton of scares the last few games. I feel like I do with Michigan, they beat NW and the beat BC. Lost to UVA who is one ahead of them.
6. Northwestern- Beat BC, lost to Notre Dame, and made PSU season this past weekend. Are injuries starting to catch up to them
7. Boston College- Are they good? Yes. Have they beat anyone of note? Not yet. Got my eyes on the Yale and BC game coming up. Is the Ivy really good? Because if Yale is a top 2 Ivy team, they need to beat a top 5 ACC team.
8. Loyola- Cuse vs Loyola will be a fun one! They WILL jump top 5 if they get the win there
9. JMU- loss to Virginia, Loss to Maryland, and does the UNC win lose luster after they got crushed by Cuse? Hopkins this weekend and Florida Mid-April
10. Penn- Lost to the number one team in my dumb poll by 1 goal. This is by far the toughest team to place. Is the Ivy really good?
12. Denver- Could see them getting back up in the top 10 as they start their thrashing of a Big East conference that is way down. Yale on 4/22 is a huge one for the Ivy and multiple bids
13. JHU- Beat Stony Brook, I think they can be anywhere between 11-13. Probably on the low end here.
15. UNC- Lost to Cuse at the dome, Stony Brook won at the dome. Only difference. Can also say that Teeter and Louisville went down there and played them tough. Keep an eye on the Cardinals in the tournament and the last game of the regular season vs ND.
16. Yale- I wanted to put them at 13, but they have 3 big games coming up against Brown, BC, Penn, and Harvard. Go 3-1 and you are in the top 12.
17. Stanford- I think all the polls are severely downplaying how good this team is. Beat on Colorado on the road. Has a Stony Brook game in April that will be interesting to watch
18. Princeton- They beat Penn State who just beat NW, thats why they are here. Not sure how talented they really are. Every game to make a statement, they have lost (Florida, Yale, Virginia). Jacksonville and Cornell played them tight. Penn and Loyola coming up to see where they really stand.
20. Fairfield- Loss to a Holy Cross team that has exceeded expectations. It was between them and Drexel for this spot. They beat Drexel. Probably will lose in the first round.

Tiers:

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Stanford, Princeton, PSU, Fairfield, Drexel, Navy, Clemson, Colorado, Brown, Harvard, Louisville, Lindenwood,
Good poll, Flushlax. A lot to agree with and a few things to disagree with. Perfect.
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:22 pm
flushlax77 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:44 pm The coaches poll is one of the worst things that I have ever seen in my time in sports. Who is voting? The Penn slight is unreal and is indefensible (coming from me, who has been a bit of wet blanket as it comes to the ivy and their chances)

Tiers:

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Good poll, Flushlax. A lot to agree with and a few things to disagree with. Perfect.
Appreciate it! Any feedback is welcome. I promise that I won’t put you on a block list if I disagree
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

flushlax77 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:38 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:22 pm

Tiers:

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Appreciate it! Any feedback is welcome. I promise that I won’t put you on a block list if I disagree
/\ /\ /\ THIS /\ /\ /\ :D
BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet »

Tiers:

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

I think this poll is one of the better that ive seen- certainly better than the coaches poll!

Glad someone mentioned the Penn slight- one of the teams I considered underrated from the start. BUT, I hadnt seen Penn-Michigan game until last night, and now it is glaring. Worth a watch if you can stomach poor quality broadcasting (how is this still an issue?).

That game was tied or within 1 goal for 60 minutes. Whoever had the ball in last 30 seconds was going to win. Clearly a defensive battle between #1 and #2-- but if penn could shoot that day, that game would have been wildly different. (not to detract from o'grady, who im a fan of and was THE difference maker that game). Other than saves, penn dominated stats- notably outshooting mich 28-14, and winning draws 11-4.

Very hard to place them at 14 with michigan at 2 , when they were the only real test michigan has seen yet.

Even seven weeks in, the previous-season bias in polls is REAL. Difficult for me to justify BC, JMU, Denver, Hopkins (who they beat), above penn based on 2024 wins/losses alone. (can make arguments for unc/fl also).
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Then who?

Off a week, called it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

NULax2 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:31 pm

Then who?

Off a week, called it.
Maryland. Buncha frauds. Twerp fans still thinkin the next stretch of glory days are just around the corner.

"Flag trimmed beauties"

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”