Something is NOT KOSHER : Please read and comment

D1 Womens Lacrosse
MolonLaxe

Re: Something is NOT KOSHER : Please read and comment

Post by MolonLaxe »

This is a bad look for the AD and how they run the department. Definitely some tampering going on here.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

That is more than a revealing article.
Seems to me that TK is going to become a millionaire.
And it appears that if the chain of Trainer command and access is as described accurately, any former Quinnipiac student-athlete graduate for any of their sports programs who suffers from any on-going playing injury affect is going to have an opening for compensatory action which will open a Pandora's box on discovery.
The parent, not the coach.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Our experience has been that even at large well well-funded athletic programs, many athletic trainers, especially in non-revenue sports, are part-timers who have a real job, usually at a PT clinic.

Now, don't get me wrong, a lack of system and supervision is unacceptable. Plus, it QU tried to edit some medical data after the fact, then it is in a load of legal trouble.

However, just having various different trainers, especially out of season isn't really a red flag to me.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

But why would they change the injury report especially after the parents and the kids aren’t complaining. They weren’t in danger of being sued or anything. Makes zero sense.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:41 pm
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:55 am
Relax77 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:44 pm
spidey44 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:27 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:38 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:14 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:04 pm I’m just amazed that parents at that level still get involved with their daughter’s athletics.
I've always told client's parents to stand down and let your daughter handle team business, UNLESS, it concerns the athlete's physical or mental well being. I think this qualifies.
I would agree with that. I’m not really sure how to take the article where it has the dad saying he was encouraging her to play.

“But the player’s dad, who attended the Oct. 22 tournament and encouraged his daughter to play, said she was practically “begging” Kotowicz to put her on the field.

“We were trying to get her on the field as well,” he said.”

To me I took that as he was encouraging the coach to put his daughter out there. Certainly may not be the case. Whether that happened or not, I still am surprised how often you hear that parents are nightmares for coaches. Heard some horror stories recently so it looks like it’s getting worse.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say the dad wasn’t saying that to the coach, rather his daughter. “If you feel good and you did your required practices then you should play.” Could be wrong but that’s how I read it.
Very well could be Spider. As I stated, I’m not sure how to take it. Idk. But would you really be shocked if you found out the father went to coach and demanded that she played? Funny story from USF. Mother and child were down there in September telling the other parents and kids exactly who the daughter was better than out of the previous year’s 2024 commits. They offered the kid before the official visit. I am certain, this mother isn’t going to be a problem. 😁.

Did the kid end up committing to USF?
Yep.
If it is who I think it is, let me just say that the Dad is even worse.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

:cry:
LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:36 pm
Relax77 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:41 pm
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:55 am
spidey44 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:27 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:04 pm I’m just amazed that parents at that level still get involved with their daughter’s athletics.
I've always told client's parents to stand down and let your daughter handle team business, UNLESS, it concerns the athlete's physical or mental well being. I think this qualifies.
I would agree with that. I’m not really sure how to take the article where it has the dad saying he was encouraging her to play.

“But the player’s dad, who attended the Oct. 22 tournament and encouraged his daughter to play, said she was practically “begging” Kotowicz to put her on the field.

To me I took that as he was encouraging the coach to put his daughter out there. Certainly may not be the case. Whether that happened or not, I still am surprised how often you hear that parents are nightmares for coaches. Heard some horror stories recently so it looks like it’s getting worse.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say the dad wasn’t saying that to the coach, rather his daughter. “If you feel good and you did your required practices then you should play.” Could be wrong but that’s how I read it.
Very well could be Spider. As I stated, I’m not sure how to take it. Idk. But would you really be shocked if you found out the father went to coach and demanded that she played? Funny story from USF. Mother and child were down there in September telling the other parents and kids exactly who the daughter was better than out of the previous year’s 2024 commits. They offered the kid before the official visit. I am certain, this mother isn’t going to be a problem. 😁.

Did the kid end up committing to USF?
Yep.
If it is who I think it is, let me just say that the Dad is even worse.
No it’s not her. I know who you are talking about. He was a jerk in Clemson as well.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:37 am
Interesting...we went down in September as well and we didn't run into that mom apparently. I guess that was the other weekend lol.
I’m sorry. I missed this. No it wasn’t the big one September 17 when they played Alabama. It was the week prior. Coaches told us about it. Believe it or not. Not sure why they would, but she did.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Back to this story…..why do you think these stories are not big headlines, especially in today’s society? Just like the Molly Little incident(s). You get one or two obscure internet articles and nothing. Could it be these incidents would be a lot more newsworthy if it was men’s football or annother high profile sport?
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:07 pm
I’m sorry. I missed this. No it wasn’t the big one September 17 when they played Alabama. It was the week prior. Coaches told us about it. Believe it or not. Not sure why they would, but she did.
Interesting...we went the week prior. Each family was great...and I know we weren't spouting off about our kid :lol: :lol: :lol:
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:07 pm
Relax77 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:07 pm
Interesting...we went the week prior. Each family was great...and I know we weren't spouting off about our kid :lol: :lol: :lol:
🤔
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I've been told that the former HC would not have let a parent influence her decision making as far as the team was concerned. She abhorred the Trainer situation at the school and she was not quiet about it.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:30 pm

I've been told that the former HC would not have let a parent influence her decision making as far as the team was concerned. She abhorred the Trainer situation at the school and she was not quiet about it.
I doubt any coach at that level would. But that wouldn’t stop helicopter parents from trying. Not saying that’s what happened.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:45 pm

I doubt any coach at that level would. But that wouldn’t stop helicopter parents from trying. Not saying that’s what happened.

I can assure you that this is not a "Helicopter Parents" situation.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:19 pm
Relax77 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:45 pm

I can assure you that this is not a "Helicopter Parents" situation.
I never thought or said this was. I added like two different points to this by accident. The Quinnipiac situation is clearly coach vs AD. The helicopter parent situation is different. What I am saying about the helicopter parents is that it clearly still happens in college athletics which is ridiculous. The injured parent may be a helicopter parent or not, but that’s not what the coach getting fired for is about. I never thought that. School definitely has some “splaining” to do.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Smart not to resign. Smart to be working with an attorney. Smart to have documented all that she did.

In 2024, to have parents and players on your side is huge. But ultimately, all of that is window dressing. If the documentation and editing and emails are true (the articles references them, never shows them) Coach is going to be compensated in the way of a settlement or civil suit. As most of us know, these rarely see the bright lights of a courtroom. Especially when one side knows they have A LOT to lose in discovery.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:27 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:37 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:39 pm
NutmegCrunch wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:17 pm What I had heard from a friend-of-a-friend connection to the Quinnipiac team was that the head coach was well-liked and players were not happy with the circumstances of her departure, but no details of exactly what happened.

Based on what was in the article, at best, different staff were working from duplicate injury reports that didn't always agree and this led to confusion for players, coaches, and trainers. At worst, someone with access to the injury report files intentionally altered them during the investigation to shift the blame off the training department and to cover up their improper and error-prone documentation practices.

It's not the end of the world to have rotating athletic trainers - but in that case, there needs to be clear and consistent communication between all parties and with one injury tracker to serve as a "single source of truth" for all stakeholders. I wonder why the training department isn't using some kind of charting or EMR software for this purpose instead of Excel.
Rotating athletic trainers isn’t the end of the world, but 4 ATCs to 21 teams seems, to me, to be stretching coverage extremely thin. Even with consistent, accurate charting & the use of an EMR, from the article it sounded like there were many times there simply wasn’t an ATC available to be present.
A quick search shows a minimum of 10 ATCs assigned to the various sports at Quinnipiac. Many Olympic sports will share ATCs (fall sport and spring sport) and hence the rotating coverage for lacrosse during the fall when they are not "In-season".
I’m just going by what the article said. I wonder why they only mentioned 4 with a 5th overseeing if there are truly 10. And if there are really a minimum of 10, is it not worse that there were still times when an ATC wasn’t present? When players had to be transported to the ATC room by coaches? I went to Quinnipiac's Sports Medicine page too, and it seems they have ATC's assigned to one or two (opposite season) sports. If that's the case, why are they rotating so frequently?
UPDATE - as reference, Men's Lacrosse team does NOT rotate trainers. They have one dedicated for the spring and recently (with said trainer on maternity leave) had a replacement...but that replacement was consistent, even during the FALL. If TK complained about "level playing fields", which brings up this messaging being lost in translation due to rotating staff, and is then fired...well, bring on Title IX and pull out the checkbook Quinnipiac.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

Interesting post on Quinnipiac twitter today-- lax team celebrating their athletic trainer.

https://twitter.com/QU_WLAX/status/1758 ... gr%5Etweet
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:08 am Interesting post on Quinnipiac twitter today-- lax team celebrating their athletic trainer.

https://twitter.com/QU_WLAX/status/1758 ... gr%5Etweet
They are celebrating their trainer for beating cancer. I don’t that interesting at all. This is what they should be doing.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”