Colgate 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wunw24!

Colgate 2024

Post by wunw24! »

I couldn't find an existing Colgate thread. 1-1 Colgate has a win against a Big 10 team on the road and lost a spirited game to an ACC team on the road. With the exception of a bad 3rd quarter didn't show any quit against Cuse. They play hard, ride hard (#1 is a handful) and seem to have some guys on the offense end that can put the ball in the net. The potential for strong goaltending as well but he may see a ton of rubber in their aggressive style. In '23 they lost four games by 2 goals or less. Thoughts on whether they can sustain this style of play? Do they make more noise in the Patriot?
Henpecked

Re: Colgate 2024

Post by Henpecked »

I like Colgate’s offense and athleticism. However, you can’t pack 6 guys in the crease and leave middies uncovered for time and room shots from inside 10 yards. It was one of the worst zones I’d ever seen. When they covered Cuse man-to-man they showed a lot more success. Also they had so many ridiculous penalties. I think they’ll finish middle of the pack in the Patriot (3rd or 4th).
Finster

Post by Finster »

wunw24! wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:52 am I couldn't find an existing Colgate thread. 1-1 Colgate has a win against a Big 10 team on the road and lost a spirited game to an ACC team on the road. With the exception of a bad 3rd quarter didn't show any quit against Cuse. They play hard, ride hard (#1 is a handful) and seem to have some guys on the offense end that can put the ball in the net. The potential for strong goaltending as well but he may see a ton of rubber in their aggressive style. In '23 they lost four games by 2 goals or less. Thoughts on whether they can sustain this style of play? Do they make more noise in the Patriot?

If the NCAA bans face offs, they’ll do much better. But if face offs remain part of the game, they’ll struggle to be .500.

Colgate got Penn State on first game mojo. Maybe if they’d had a week to calm down after the upset they could possibly have given Syracuse a run.

Too many needed variables to be top of the PL.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gate plays tough, no question about that but they're going to have to clean their act up a little bit. Although they didn't do a very good job of taking advantage of it, Gate gave Cuse ten EMO opportunities (definitely going to have to get rid of the stranglehold take down play like the one on Mule'....two minute non releasable, and deservedly so). You play man down that much and it's going to hurt you.
Got a good GK in LaCombe (18 saves), he had many good saves in this game, including many on the doorstep shots that are in 9 out of 10 times. The score of this game could've been a whole lot worse but for him.
Need improvement on face offs, going 7 for 31 there is going to put a pretty heavy load on the D and GK and is going to cost you. Same with GBs, Cuse 58 - Gate 27. Giving the other team that many more opportunities is again adding to the load you're asking your D to carry, aint gonna work out well more often than not. Gate's not going to be an easy out, pretty good team.
Gate brought a nice crowd that made some noise, was good to see. Good luck the rest of the way.
Remise

Post by Remise »

I feel that someone should note here that -- whether it lasts or not -- the Raiders are currently 3-1, before tonight's game at Yale. We shall see! The team still seems a bit improved over the past few seasons.
cmbtp88

Post by cmbtp88 »

Finster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:57 am
wunw24! wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:52 am I couldn't find an existing Colgate thread. 1-1 Colgate has a win against a Big 10 team on the road and lost a spirited game to an ACC team on the road. With the exception of a bad 3rd quarter didn't show any quit against Cuse. They play hard, ride hard (#1 is a handful) and seem to have some guys on the offense end that can put the ball in the net. The potential for strong goaltending as well but he may see a ton of rubber in their aggressive style. In '23 they lost four games by 2 goals or less. Thoughts on whether they can sustain this style of play? Do they make more noise in the Patriot?

If the NCAA bans face offs, they’ll do much better. But if face offs remain part of the game, they’ll struggle to be .500.

Colgate got Penn State on first game mojo. Maybe if they’d had a week to calm down after the upset they could possibly have given Syracuse a run.

If the NCAA bans FOs? In the middle of the season? Or are you saying Colgate could never compete at FO going forward? Colgate had one of the top Patriot League FO guys for the past 4 years, he took 90% of the FO's for the past 3 years and graduated, and the other 10% were taken by another kid who graduated last year as well. They have a younger group taking over and therefore getting experience. They also lost their FO coach they had for the past 3 years to OSU at the end of last year, from what I see they have changed their approach to FO with the loss of that coach as well. The FO guys at Colgate are very capable young athletes and will be fine over time. Colgate Beat Pen State from the middle of the 1st quarter thru the end of the game. That was no fluke. Go back and watch the game. The #4 ranked team in the country should not get beat on "first game mojo" ever. They got beat and trailed in that game from the second qtr thru to the end of the game. Colgate if they stay healthy can do well in the Patriot this season. Outside of Army, all the Patriot looks to be on top of each other. BU does not look as dominate as they have been the last 2 years, Navy, Colgate, Loyola, Lafayette, Lehigh all look to be able to compete this year. Should be an interesting year in Patriot.
Finster

Post by Finster »

cmbtp88 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:56 am

If the NCAA bans FOs? In the middle of the season? Or are you saying Colgate could never compete at FO going forward? Colgate had one of the top Patriot League FO guys for the past 4 years, he took 90% of the FO's for the past 3 years and graduated, and the other 10% were taken by another kid who graduated last year as well. They have a younger group taking over and therefore getting experience. They also lost their FO coach they had for the past 3 years to OSU at the end of last year, from what I see they have changed their approach to FO with the loss of that coach as well. The FO guys at Colgate are very capable young athletes and will be fine over time. Colgate Beat Pen State from the middle of the 1st quarter thru the end of the game. That was no fluke. Go back and watch the game. The #4 ranked team in the country should not get beat on "first game mojo" ever. They got beat and trailed in that game from the second qtr thru to the end of the game. Colgate if they stay healthy can do well in the Patriot this season. Outside of Army, all the Patriot looks to be on top of each other. BU does not look as dominate as they have been the last 2 years, Navy, Colgate, Loyola, Lafayette, Lehigh all look to be able to compete this year. Should be an interesting year in Patriot.

I was merely pointing out that Colgate is unlikely to win many games against good teams with a subpar faceoff squad.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Good showing and win vs. Loyola yesterday!
Remise

Post by Remise »

After a 17-4 blowout against Bucknell (who only scored one goal after the first period), the Raiders are now 6-3, and 3-0 in the Patriot League, as well as being ranked 20th in at least one poll. This is already probably their best year since around 2015.

Perhaps if they beat Army this board will pick up a bit!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They’re number 16 RPI
with the win over now #2 RPI Penn State.
Remise

Post by Remise »

I feel that somebody should note that yesterday Colgate defeated a very good Army team that had previously been 8-1, by a score of 14-11, and the only reason the game was that close was that Army got three goals late in the game during a non-releasable two-minute penalty against Colgate.

Colgate's goalie -- Macombe, I think -- was spectactular, as were several other players, including the Connor brothers, who assisted one another on three goals, and also a guy named Sposito, who scored an incredible goal on a behind the back shot.

Colgate, which has admittedly had an up and down season, has now defeated two teams that were ranked in the top five.
Remise

Colgate vs. Army 2024 highlights

Post by Remise »

Just in case anyone else still visits this group, here is a 19-minute highlight video of yesterday's great game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?https://w ... 9VOvBHrRFg If you decide to view it, look for Sposita's incredible behind the back shot for a goal, with three minutes remaining in the third quarter.
cmbtp88

Post by cmbtp88 »

Finster wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:10 pm

I was merely pointing out that Colgate is unlikely to win many games against good teams with a subpar faceoff squad.
this is aging well.....lol
Finster

Post by Finster »

cmbtp88 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:05 am

I know. I eat my words. I didn’t realize they had a brick wall goalie.
cc2519

Post by cc2519 »

Finster wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:06 am

Most people don't. He plays this well every week, and if he were on a more high profile team, he'd be acknowledged as on the really good D1 goalies.
cmbtp88

Post by cmbtp88 »

Kid started as a freshman over a senior that started the year prior, and has played every game since....he is very good, very very good every game....and out of the net is very good as well....but Colgate has the mojo this yr, behind the back shots, behind the back passes and these are the same kids that were on the team last year....coaching coaching coaching....new coach on offense has these guys playing loose
Finster

Post by Finster »

cmbtp88 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:24 pm

Kid started as a freshman over a senior that started the year prior, and has played every game since....he is very good, very very good every game....and out of the net is very good as well....but Colgate has the mojo this yr, behind the back shots, behind the back passes and these are the same kids that were on the team last year....coaching coaching coaching....new coach on offense has these guys playing loose

I’ve always been a fan of the team and school. Colgate has a fantastic network of alumni.
Remise

Post by Remise »

And because the goalie is so good, and because I am an editor, I feel obliged to correct his name, which I had misspelled -- it is Matt LaCombe.

Sorry about that!
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Coach Matt Karweck Colgate Lacrosse

Podcast
April 18

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... ck-e2iic98
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

LaxAllStars wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:36 pm Coach Matt Karweck Colgate Lacrosse

Podcast
April 18

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... ck-e2iic98
Great interview. Definitely worth giving a listen. What I found particularly interesting was Karweck's emphasis focusing on what his team does well versus getting too caught up on advanced scouting. Good stuff. Karweck is a really an interesting dude.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”