Tewaaraton Award 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Tewaaraton Award 2024

Post by stupefied »

fwi, id also go with Brandau if vote were today but presently undecided who'd follow between Shelleneberger , Kirst , Oneill and Kavanaugh whose affected by ND only playing 8 games so far. Pecking order become clearer as season advances
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

My upto date Top 5 right now:

1. Brandau
2. Shellenberger
3. Kirst
4. Kavanaugh
5. Malone

Gobigred
Joewillie78
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

There should be an age cap on the tew. Having a 25 year old win it in his 6th year plus likely a typical Maryland reclass is insane.
Finster

Post by Finster »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:41 am My upto date Top 5 right now:

1. Brandau
2. Shellenberger
3. Kirst
4. Kavanaugh
5. Malone

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Your list is what I’d have, too.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:59 am There should be an age cap on the tew. Having a 25 year old win it in his 6th year plus likely a typical Maryland reclass is insane.
Not sure of anyone’s age, but I don’t think it’s fair for anyone to try to exclude Pat Kavanagh just because he graduated from high school in 2018 and took advantage of the PG year opportunity and then the COVID 5th year, or exclude fellow 2018 HS grad Chayse Ierlan from the nominee list because he was at an Ivy which had no lacrosse in 2021 and then transferred to Johns Hopkins for his COVID year instead of playing a 4th season for Cornell. Or to exclude 2018 HS graduate TJ Malone because he had an injury red-shirt and is now a grad student.

And of course we don’t know whether 2019 HS graduates on the Tewaaraton nominee list like Shellenberger, Stathakis, Brower, Bundy, Entenmann, Zawada or Piseno started kindergarten at age 6 or repeated grade 8 to be bigger for high school or re-classed in high school. Maybe they’d bump up against an age cap too.

Or we can just realize that the pandemic elongated careers and be glad that we are getting a chance to watch talented guys like Kavanagh, Shellenberger, Malone, Ierlan and Brandau play four full seasons of college lacrosse.
Last edited by The Orfling on Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Tewaaraton Award 20

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m fine with Brandau in that he is having a terrific season. Viscerally I have a reaction, not totally negative but as if there’s more the story. Different comp
Every year but when I stand him up next to Ben Reeves I see it as discussion at all and that’s why I guess I struggle with Brandao. As good as he is I don’t see him on par with competition.

Off the dime I think Harrison. rabil, Seibald, Ward, Thompson’s, Peter Baum, Pat Spencer and Reeves. But thats amazing company so nothing against rbadau or this season
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:02 am I’m fine with Brandau in that he is having a terrific season. Viscerally I have a reaction, not totally negative but as if there’s more the story. Different comp
Every year but when I stand him up next to Ben Reeves I see it as discussion at all and that’s why I guess I struggle with Brandao. As good as he is I don’t see him on par with competition.

Off the dime I think Harrison. rabil, Seibald, Ward, Thompson’s, Peter Baum, Pat Spencer and Reeves. But thats amazing company so nothing against rbadau or this season
Sorry to have to say that none of the above makes any sense.
coda

Post by coda »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:02 am I’m fine with Brandau in that he is having a terrific season. Viscerally I have a reaction, not totally negative but as if there’s more the story. Different comp

I get it. He is a 6th year guy that is basically a 25 year old professional lacrosse player masquerading as a college player. He has been taking semesters off to stay eligible. It’s just not the same compared to past winners. He is very good, but I wouldn’t put him in that camp either.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

coda wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:32 pm [quote=Farfromgeneva post_id=541603 time=<a href="tel:1713711752">1713711752</a> user_id=1206]
I’m fine with Brandau in that he is having a terrific season. Viscerally I have a reaction, not totally negative but as if there’s more the story. Different comp

I get it. He is a 6th year guy that is basically a 25 year old professional lacrosse player masquerading as a college player. He has been taking semesters off to stay eligible. It’s just not the same compared to past winners. He is very good, but I wouldn’t put him in that camp either.
[/quote]

I would put it differently — particularly given the somewhat intense language (e.g. “masquerading as a college lacrosse player”) as this age discussion focuses only on Brandau, when he is the same year out of high school as players such as Pat Kavanagh (likely finalist); TJ Malone (possible finalist); and Chayse Ierlan (Tewaaraton nominee).

For any big award — Heisman, Best Picture, Oscar — you’re competing against the options in your actual year but also against the memories of past winners. Some years there are multiple obvious potential winners and there’s a logjam. For instance, in 2019 Grant Ament had a historically great season but lost to all-time great Pat Spencer. In 2018, Pat Spencer was a finalist but lost to Ben Reeves who led Yale to its first national championship; had the award been based only on the regular season probably Spencer gets it. Perfectly reasonable to say that in this year the contenders or even winner don’t measure up in one’s mind to the platonic ideal of the Tewaaraton winner. And maybe some folks who feel that way will feel like they would pick the most talented player, as opposed to the player who has had the best season.
coda

Post by coda »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:55 pm
coda wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:32 pm [quote=Farfromgeneva post_id=541603 time=<a href="tel:1713711752">1713711752</a> user_id=1206]

I would put it differently — particularly given the somewhat intense language (e.g. “masquerading as a college lacrosse player”) as this age discussion focuses only on Brandau, when he is the same year out of high school as players such as Pat Kavanagh (likely finalist); TJ Malone (possible finalist); and Chayse Ierlan (Tewaaraton nominee).

For any big award — Heisman, Best Picture, Oscar — you’re competing against the options in your actual year but also against the memories of past winners. Some years there are multiple obvious potential winners and there’s a logjam. For instance, in 2019 Grant Ament had a historically great season but lost to all-time great Pat Spencer. In 2018, Pat Spencer was a finalist but lost to Ben Reeves who led Yale to its first national championship; had the award been based only on the regular season probably Spencer gets it. Perfectly reasonable to say that in this year the contenders or even winner don’t measure up in one’s mind to the platonic ideal of the Tewaaraton winner. And maybe some folks who feel that way will feel like they would pick the most talented player, as opposed to the player who has had the best season.
[/quote]

Malone blew out his knee, so not really the same. I get that though. I didn’t realize Kavanaugh was that old to be honest. He did start college in 2020 compared to 2019. In general I am against 25 years olds playing in college and hate the COVID effect, that is just me. I get it if people don’t feel the same way
Last edited by coda on Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Gobigred wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:25 pm

FarFrom,

Rule number one,
Don't get high on your own supply :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Did you ever answer my question about MOV? Maybe you need to be hit in the face with a slice of pizza to figure it out. I’m sure you don’t love your own hypocrisy out there though
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:19 pm

FarFrom,

Rule number one,
Don't get high on your own supply :lol:
Sure he’s the same as the guys I mentioned. Forget it I camt stand that Cornell douche anyways. Still waiting for him to follow through his threat from LP days ago but I know at time it is with them. I

This entire thread’s is stupid people talking their book every tee. Gobogreeld will suck Ivy Union know at until he dies. Sweet. Who care what he thinks which is mortified, interesting or entertaining.

Same conversation different year. Ans when Brandau doesn’t win the same days will be bitching using the same tired arguments. Radiating turd
See Martin, Malcolm
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:33 pm

Did you ever answer my question about MOV? Maybe you need to be hit in the face with a slice of pizza to figure it out. I’m sure you don’t love your own hypocrisy out there though
Read what you wrote above. What does "Different comp" mean? What does "Every year but when I stand him up next to Ben Reeves I see it as discussion at all" mean? It's gibberish that I can't make any sense of. That's what I was referring to. No need for your ugly postings.

And I don't know what you're talking about with MOV.
Lacrossefan25

Post by Lacrossefan25 »

1. Shellenberger
2. Pat kav
3. Brandau
4. Malone
5. Kirst
34 for Duke has not earned my vote here. He should be 3rd team all American
Finster

Post by Finster »

Lacrossefan25 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:02 pm 1. Shellenberger
2. Pat kav
3. Brandau
4. Malone
5. Kirst

Dude. In very few 2024 universes is Pat Kavanaugh above Brandau for this award. Shellenberger is probably the closest today, but his teams recent losses is holding him back. The disparity in points per game from Brandau to every other Tewey candidates is too wide to ignore or overcome (for now).
lorin

Post by lorin »

2. Pat kav
3. Brandau
4. Malone
5. Kirst
They will have 4 or 5 first team AA this year, they don't have the onions to leave O'Neil off first team.
lorin

Post by lorin »

2. Pat kav
3. Brandau
4. Malone
5. Kirst
They will have 4 or 5 first team AA this year, they don't have the onions to leave O'Neil off first team.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

POINTS PER GAME
Last updated Monday, April 22, 2024 8:14 am - Through games Sunday, April 21, 2024

1 Matt Brandau Yale 7.23

2 Sam King Harvard 5.75
3 TJ Malone Penn St. 5.55
4 Louis Perfetto Boston U. 5.31
5 Dalton Young Richmond 5.15
6 Shellenberger Virginia 5.08
7 Joey Spallina Syracuse 5.07
8 Michael Long Cornell 5.00
9 CJ Kirst Cornell 4.92
10 Pat Kavanagh Notre D 4.90
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

lorin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:08 am
2. Pat kav
3. Brandau
4. Malone
5. Kirst
I could see this happening too.. something like:

1st team: O'neill, Pkav, Shelly, and Brandau
2nd team: Kirst, Malone, M. Long, and prob Spallina

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”