Worst Team in D1

D1 Mens Lacrosse
xxxxxxx

Re: Worst Team in D1

Post by xxxxxxx »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:58 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:29 pm Worst topic in a while, hitting them when they are down doesn't help. Every one of these teams has dedicated staff and athletes trying their best to get better every day and recruit players. We should be encouraging them to succeed not trying to embarrass them for who knows what reason.

I nominate this as the Worst Post in Fanlax history.
Given how fragile D1 lacrosse existence is this can have a real impact even if we all think this is nonsense on these boards.
100% hopefully admin will remove
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:56 pm
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:55 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:46 pm I think it is safe to say there are several teams in D1 that are struggling to field competitive teams.

The bottom 15 D1 teams all have a losing record.
Of those teams last year, only 3 teams have a win vs a team with a winning record.
Those 15 bottom teams have a combined record last year of 41 and 167. With 39 of those wins coming from other bottom 15 teams.

As for the bottom of that group

U Mass Lowell had no wins
SJU had no wins
Hampton had no wins vs other D1 schools
St Bonneventure and Holly Cross only one win
Detroit and Queens only had two wins. Each team beat Hampton

I think a top 10 high school team with teenagers would beat any of the bottom five team 10 out of 10 times. I think they would beat the bottom 15 a majority of those 10 times.

I would say you could pick any of those

I would say
Huge jump from HS to college. If you were to look at the end of last season Colgate at 2-9 would be a bottom 15 team. Do you think a top HS team could beat Penn State?
I think if you read closely what he said, it was 10 of 10 against bottom 5. Majority against bottom 15.

I think 10 of 10 against bottom 5 is overly optimistic, as any given day a team can outperform, but 8 of 10 or better, sure, especially if you narrowed that to top 5 HS teams. The top 10 high school teams have numerous players who will start or heavily contribute to top 20 teams the following year or the year thereafter. Plenty of talent and well coached for numerous years. Very few of those players will end up at a bottom 5 D1 team.

Yes, the maturation is important, size, etc, but they're often more physically capable than many, perhaps the majority, of players on the bottom level teams....and with much better stick work and field sense.

The majority against bottom 15 would need to be a random selection of the bottom 15...I agree that a Colgate or Bucknell for instance would be a big stretch for a high school team, though not impossible for the best of the HS teams in a given year. I'd definitely bet on a Colgate or Bucknell in those match ups (not sure how Penn state got in the discussion?) But the random includes teams in that bottom 5 too...

That all said, I agree with xxxxx and others that this is a very poor topic and certainly no reason to insult guys who are working hard playing the game they love just because some other group of young men may be just enough better to beat them.

Long time ago, but when I arrived at my alma mater having played on arguably the top HS team nationally my senior year in HS (8 of 10 starters were AA in college, an equal # in the back-ups), we went down to Rutgers for a fall scrimmage. My sister, 3 years younger, was horrified by what she saw, guys who couldn't catch, didn't know where to go...ugly. She remarked to my dad that her HS girls team would beat us...ouch...My HS team would have crushed that DI team and we were about 30 in D1 those first 2 years. And yeah, for two years, we were pretty terrible, winning a few, losing a lot, some horribly, though we never lost a fight (my teammates, many primarily football players, loved to fight)...but by junior season we were top 10, beating the #2 team in an upset.
Colgate just beat PSU to open the season so they conflated end of last year with start of this year.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Finster

Post by Finster »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:55 pm We gotta get rid of this thread. And I can be out there but this is crazy. Even if we want to discuss how programs with room for development improve this is not how anyone wants to roll on here and see their team discussed.

When you get empathy form me you know someone did something crossing lines…

Agree with you FFG.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:57 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:49 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:35 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:29 pm Worst topic in a while, hitting them when they are down doesn't help. Every one of these teams has dedicated staff and athletes trying their best to get better every day and recruit players. We should be encouraging them to succeed not trying to embarrass them for who knows what reason.

agreed. i'd love to see film on every poster taking low brow shots at these teams and be able to critique them here.
I don’t think anyone is attacking the teams. Every one of these kids is playing D1 college lacrosse. That itself is impressive.

But reality is that every sport ranks every team. I am sure those bottom teams are working hard to get better ever day.
You don't think anyone is attacking the teams? From the guy who said a high school team could beat them, really?
Regardless as to whether the prediction is reasonable, and he over stated IMO, the emphasis on "worst" is pretty repugnant and undoubtedly these guys and their coaches are working hard to improve and compete in the sport they love. Kudos are deserved.
Finster

Post by Finster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:03 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:57 pm

agreed. i'd love to see film on every poster taking low brow shots at these teams and be able to critique them here.
I don’t think anyone is attacking the teams. Every one of these kids is playing D1 college lacrosse. That itself is impressive.

But reality is that every sport ranks every team. I am sure those bottom teams are working hard to get better ever day.
You don't think anyone is attacking the teams? From the guy who said a high school team could beat them, really?
Regardless as to whether the prediction is reasonable, and he over stated IMO, the emphasis on "worst" is pretty repugnant and undoubtedly these guys and their coaches are working hard to improve and compete in the sport they love. Kudos are deserved.

Agree with you MDLaxfan. This thread is repugnant.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:57 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:56 pm
HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:49 pm
DebitLaxPlayable wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:19 pm Respect to them for building their program up, but there’s no way Hampton isn’t the worst D1 program
Wasn’t really counting them. They get a pass from me. Was more so thinking about the teams that were established D1 programs that are just an embarrassment to field
They get a pass from me as well.

I'd say the bottom of the D1 barrel are:
Umass Lowell, St Bonnies, Holy Cross, and UDM.

Honorable Mention:
Wagner
SBU is three years old.
6 years old. St bonnies first season was in 2019.
Think they wouldn't be in this convo if they stayed in MAC. But, they're in the A10 and aren't ready to compete with those teams. The closest in conference game was a 14-3 loss to Umass, everything else was uglier... The plan was always for them to go A10 since the school got a varsity lacrosse team, but it seems like they're still recruiting for the MAC. Let's see how it goes this year...
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

A better post would be what Eric Wolf is doing at NJIT. Went from 0 wins to 3 last yr then comes out and wins game 1 at St Johns. 4 of there 11 wins in history are under him and he's been there for 1 yr and 1 game. Future is bright for NJIT.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

DoubleD wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:09 pm A better post would be what Eric Wolf is doing at NJIT. Went from 0 wins to 3 last yr then comes out and wins game 1 at St Johns. 4 of there 11 wins in history are under him and he's been there for 1 yr and 1 game. Future is bright for NJIT.
He took LIU from D2 to D1 and made them very competitive. His last season 2022 they finished 8 - 7 and lost to St Joes 11 - 10 in Conference tournament. He left for NJIt and 6 of LIU's top players transfered to higher level programs. 2 to Syracuse, 1 Ohio State/St Joes, 1 UMASS, 1 Drexel and 1 Stonybrook. He has an eye for overlooked talent or under developed talent and develops them. Now he's doing it at NJIT. Man deserves credit.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i'm struggling to find the usefullness here. couldn't you just throw these thoughts up on your insta or something?

and colgate was 63 rpi last year, 2 and 9 against the #65 sos. sure, i'd love to see your favorite h.s. team take a crack at them.

so do you have any film?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:06 pm
DebitLaxPlayable wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:19 pm Respect to them for building their program up, but there’s no way Hampton isn’t the worst D1 program
Wasn’t really counting them. They get a pass from me. Was more so thinking about the teams that were established D1 programs that are just an embarrassment to field

Honorable Mention:
Wagner
SBU is three years old.
Think they wouldn't be in this convo if they stayed in MAC. But, they're in the A10 and aren't ready to compete with those teams. The closest in conference game was a 14-3 loss to Umass, everything else was uglier... The plan was always for them to go A10 since the school got a varsity lacrosse team, but it seems like they're still recruiting for the MAC. Let's see how it goes this year...
They’re going to struggle as I watch them and Hobart has competed against Mearns for nearly two decades. Funny you count busted 20-21 for a startup in 19. How do you thin tech startups rolled out in 2019 have fared? And including 24 to get to 6. Come in that’s a nonsense position to take.

They have room for improvement but putting them on any list of bottom groups is silly. Just doesn’t make sense when they’ve had a couple of real seasons and moved conference. They probably won’t win a conference game the next two years. But the A10 may be right there w the Ivys this year. So your point is really goofy because you say it’s conference related. At what? That means they can’t be at the bottom. They could be better than MsM
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DoubleD wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:09 pm A better post would be what Eric Wolf is doing at NJIT. Went from 0 wins to 3 last yr then comes out and wins game 1 at St Johns. 4 of there 11 wins in history are under him and he's been there for 1 yr and 1 game. Future is bright for NJIT.
I like wolf but going form 0 to 1 is like the folks here that beat their chest about fastest growing sport. Let’s styled down bee until he can get to .500
See Martin, Malcolm
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:14 pm

Honorable Mention:
Wagner
SBU is three years old.
They’re going to struggle as I watch them and Hobart has competed against Mearns for nearly two decades. Funny you count busted 20-21 for a startup in 19. How do you thin tech startups rolled out in 2019 have fared? And including 24 to get to 6. Come in that’s a nonsense position to take.

They have room for improvement but putting them on any list of bottom groups is silly. Just doesn’t make sense when they’ve had a couple of real seasons and moved conference. They probably won’t win a conference game the next two years. But the A10 may be right there w the Ivys this year. So your point is really goofy because you say it’s conference related. At what? That means they can’t be at the bottom. They could be better than MsM
A-10 moved ahead of the Big East and Patriot League in my eyes. They are number 4 behind ACC, Big Ten, Ivy then A-10. I agree with u they could be right there with the IVYs.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:17 pm
I like wolf but going form 0 to 1 is like the folks here that beat their chest about fastest growing sport. Let’s styled down bee until he can get to .500
He went from 0 to 3 wins last yr then came out and won week 1 this yr.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DoubleD wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:18 pm

Honorable Mention:
Wagner
SBU is three years old.

A-10 moved ahead of the Big East and Patriot League in my eyes. They are number 4 behind ACC, Big Ten, Ivy then A-10. I agree with u they could be right there with the IVYs.
Everyone knew it was going to be a down year for Bart last year but they and Aby hurt depth based on last year. I expect more like 2019 out of Bart this year. But the conference needs #2 & #3 to be inside top 20. Last year maybe two w St Joes and Richmond were and UMass had a solid RPI . We will see
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I said I liked him. But Matt Karweck won his first game against Cuse and then what happened. It’s just too early to declare mission accomplished. But he Sheehan and Morgan should be able to build .500 programs at barely functional places as they were the best in d2 for a while. Note Merrimack just what Bucknell
See Martin, Malcolm
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:21 pm
I said I liked him. But Matt Karweck won his first game against Cuse and then what happened. It’s just too early to declare mission accomplished. But he Sheehan and Morgan should be able to build .500 programs at barely functional places as they were the best in d2 for a while. Note Merrimack just what Bucknell
Yeah Morgan is a great coach at Merrimack too. They were competitive right away coming up from D2. They hung in there even losing Charlie Bertrand. That's a big opening win vs Bucknell. That's all I mean here let's talk about the bottom teams on the come up then laughing at the worst teams.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:20 pm

Honorable Mention:
Wagner
SBU is three years old.

Everyone knew it was going to be a down year for Bart last year but they and Aby hurt depth based on last year. I expect more like 2019 out of Bart this year. But the conference needs #2 & #3 to be inside top 20. Last year maybe two w St Joes and Richmond were and UMass had a solid RPI . We will see
Get your eyes check Patriot leauge has 4 teams ranked A10 0
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Honorable Mention:
Wagner
SBU is three years old.

They have room for improvement but putting them on any list of bottom groups is silly. Just doesn’t make sense when they’ve had a couple of real seasons and moved conference. They probably won’t win a conference game the next two years. But the A10 may be right there w the Ivys this year.
Typically, a school year starts in the fall. So, although its 2024. The boys are currently in Year 6 of the program and it's the 2023-2024 season. Year 1 wouldve been 2018-2019. So yes, I do count this year at the 6th year.

I also count the 2020 year- maybe not in competition, but as a year to recruit... absolutely. If only Bonnies shut down for Covid and every other school played, I'd say "yeah you have something there." But... every school shut down. Also don't forget- Utah started in 2019 (and had a major coaching change) and look at their success...

I based my list off of expected results for this season. I am not looking 3 years into the future. The plan for Bonnies was to always go to the A10- that was the "AD's dream" after he left Umass. Everyone knows the MAC is the least competitive league in the NCAA. If you know you're going to a more competitive league, start recruiting like it. 6 recruiting cycles is enough time to make something happen.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:14 pm

i'm struggling to find the usefullness here. couldn't you just throw these thoughts up on your insta or something?

and colgate was 63 rpi last year, 2 and 9 against the #65 sos. sure, i'd love to see your favorite h.s. team take a crack at them.

so do you have any film?
You are misunderstanding my comments. I suggested Colgate is much better than their record. a mid level team, regardless of the wins/losses. They could have easily won 4 or 5 more games last year. They just beat a top 10 team and lost to another top 10 team (last year) by one goal. I never suggested a high school team could beat a mid level team.

It was someone else that suggested Colgate was a bottom team last year.

Post by 1766 »

Worst topic I've ever seen on this board. The sport has to grow and it needs more schools willing to sponsor it. That's not an easy decision and even harder to implement in this age of Title 9 and limited budgets for many schools. I applaud all schools willing to jump into the lacrosse sandbox.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”