2024 top 20

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

2024 top 20

Post by joewillie78 »

My First top 20 of the year after week 1 and I am not disparaging any of the teams playing today, but none will affect my top 20:
1. Duke
2. Virginia
3. Notre Dame
4. Cornell
5. Maryland
6. Syracuse
7. Yale
8. Army
9. Denver
10. Michigan
11. Johns Hopkins
12. Penn State
13. Loyola
14. Princeton
15. Penn
16. Rutgers
17. North Carolina
18. Ohio State
19. Delaware
20. Marquette

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Finster

Re: 2024 top 20

Post by Finster »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:55 am My First top 20 of the year after week 1 and I am not disparaging any of the teams playing today, but none will affect my top 20:
1. Duke
2. Virginia
3. Notre Dame
4. Cornell
5. Maryland
6. Syracuse
7. Yale
8. Army
9. Denver
10. Michigan
11. Johns Hopkins
12. Penn State
13. Loyola
14. Princeton
15. Penn
16. Rutgers
17. North Carolina
18. Ohio State
19. Delaware
20. Marquette

Gobigred
Joewillie78

I’d invert Maryland and Syracuse. This year’s Syracuse is better than this year’s Terps.

Otherwise looks good.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:55 am My First top 20 of the year after week 1 and I am not disparaging any of the teams playing today, but none will affect my top 20:
1. Duke
2. Virginia
3. Notre Dame
4. Cornell
5. Maryland
6. Syracuse
7. Yale
8. Army
9. Denver
10. Michigan
11. Johns Hopkins
12. Penn State
13. Loyola
14. Princeton
15. Penn
16. Rutgers
17. North Carolina
18. Ohio State
19. Delaware
20. Marquette

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Isn’t Cornell too low? ;).

Know you’re a homer for Ivy but Penn needs to show us something early IMO. Can’t just have someone losses to tough opponents.

And while I am fine with projections, don’t you want to ding PSU a bit more for losing a team that may not have ten wins during Karwecks tenure?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:06 pm
1. Duke
2. Virginia
3. Notre Dame
4. Cornell
5. Maryland
6. Syracuse
7. Yale
8. Army
9. Denver
10. Michigan
11. Johns Hopkins
12. Penn State
13. Loyola
14. Princeton
15. Penn
16. Rutgers
17. North Carolina
18. Ohio State
19. Delaware
20. Marquette

Gobigred
Joewillie78

I’d invert Maryland and Syracuse. This year’s Syracuse is better than this year’s Terps.

Otherwise looks good.
You may be right but what is the delta in probabilities of winning a title between the 5th ranked/best team and the 6th? Is it more than 50bps?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
coda

Post by coda »

1. Duke
2. Virginia
3. Notre Dame
4. Cornell
5. Maryland
6. Syracuse
7. Yale
8. Army
9. Denver
10. Michigan
11. Johns Hopkins
12. Penn State
13. Loyola
14. Princeton
15. Penn
16. Rutgers
17. North Carolina
18. Ohio State
19. Delaware
20. Marquette

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I would put Denver higher right now. They have the best win in of the season. I can’t put Yale in the top 10, until they prove they can play defense and are not soft. Maryland should be lower. They looked more like the team that finished 2023, than the one people were expecting to this year
Finster

Post by Finster »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:19 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:06 pm
1. Duke
2. Virginia
3. Notre Dame
4. Cornell
5. Maryland
6. Syracuse
7. Yale
8. Army
9. Denver
10. Michigan
11. Johns Hopkins
12. Penn State
13. Loyola
14. Princeton
15. Penn
16. Rutgers
17. North Carolina
18. Ohio State
19. Delaware
20. Marquette

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Otherwise looks good.
You may be right but what is the delta in probabilities of winning a title between the 5th ranked/best team and the 6th? Is it more than 50bps?

Probably very little. So much depends on the arc of the season, the in-season development of team leadership, and how healthy a team is on Memorial Day weekend.

Seeing what I saw of Maryland yesterday, I'm just not sold. The lack of any ride threw me; I’d like to hear Tillman’s side of that. Someone posted a reasonable explanation on the Maryland thread. It’s just a weird thing to see (or not see as the case may be). But doesn’t give you confidence in a team when you see them abandon something that fundamental.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Too early, too little to base on . Fair to say that Denver, Loyola and Colgate advanced their standing from whatever it was. Colgate plays Cuse Monday and Loyola vs Maryland next weekend so those two will soon advance further or fall back. Perverse given loss but view on Hop actually better after watching them.

Joe Willie always humble with Cornell so interesting that he has them at 4. Must be high on their season prospects . CJ a force
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:12 pm Too early, too little to base on . Fair to say that Denver, Loyola and Colgate advanced their standing from whatever it was. Colgate plays Cuse Monday and Loyola vs Maryland next weekend so those two will soon advance further or fall back. Perverse given loss but view on Hop actually better after watching them.

Joe Willie always humble with Cornell so interesting that he has them at 4. Must be high on their season prospects . CJ a force
I had them behind both JHU, and PSU to start but with both of them losing and the Terps barely squeaking by, I had to move Cornell up to 4.
I don't know if Cornell is the 4th best team in the country, but based on yesterday's results, putting them at 4 made perfect sense.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:29 pm
stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:12 pm Too early, too little to base on . Fair to say that Denver, Loyola and Colgate advanced their standing from whatever it was. Colgate plays Cuse Monday and Loyola vs Maryland next weekend so those two will soon advance further or fall back. Perverse given loss but view on Hop actually better after watching them.

I had them behind both JHU, and PSU to start but with both of them losing and the Terps barely squeaking by, I had to move Cornell up to 4.
I don't know if Cornell is the 4th best team in the country, but based on yesterday's results, putting them at 4 made perfect sense.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Makes sense . Why is Cornell season opener so late? Warm weather please come 4/2. Best wishes to BigRed besides that night
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:38 pm

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Makes sense . Why is Cornell season opener so late? Warm weather please come 4/2. Best wishes to BigRed besides that night
Late? Our first game is in 2 weeks at Schoellkopf and it's guaranteed to be about 25, with a windchill of 0. I will have everything I own on and will still be freezing my jewels off.
I love Schoellkopf, just like I loved Shea for JETS games, but those 2 stadiums are always like being in a frozen wind tunnel.
4/2 should be awesome, and like you said, please be warm that night. Last time Cuse was at the Kopf, it was a beautiful night.
Thanks for the best wishes and I have the same for the Orange except as you said 4/2.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
coda

Post by coda »

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I am always in favor of early polls being overly reactionary. Polls should reflect what we have seen to date, not our preconceived perceptions of teams. It’s will all work itself out by week 6 or 7
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

coda wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:50 pm

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I am always in favor of early polls being overly reactionary. Polls should reflect what we have seen to date, not our preconceived perceptions of teams. It’s will all work itself out by week 6 or 7
As I stated before, some people HATE polls and I can understand why, BUT I love them. I follow every poll, and right now with Cornell Basketball doing so great, I am closely following the COLLEGE INSIDER MID-MAJOR poll, which had Cornell at #11 last week, but they should move up after this weekends sweep on the road.

Also, I love BRACKETOLOGY. Lunardis on ESPN is so much fun to follow. He had Cornell as a 12 seed last week.

Sorry, I love polls and the OVER reactions are just part of the fun.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:59 pm
coda wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:50 pm

Gobigred
Joewillie78
As I stated before, some people HATE polls and I can understand why, BUT I love them. I follow every poll, and right now with Cornell Basketball doing so great, I am closely following the COLLEGE INSIDER MID-MAJOR poll, which had Cornell at #11 last week, but they should move up after this weekends sweep on the road.

Also, I love BRACKETOLOGY. Lunardis on ESPN is so much fun to follow. He had Cornell as a 12 seed last week.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
And I was hoping you'd kick off the FanLax rankings discussion with your famous top 20 poll. Looks good (although I too would bump Denver ahead of Yale).
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I don’t believe Joe Willie is too far off.

4 to 6, mix and match, Cornell, Terps, Orange is OK by me.

Much too early, of course.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

-jw78

Yep. After a winter with comments worrying about the 5* recruit's snapchat announcing he's going vegan or the 4th-on-the-depth-chart LSM entering the transfer portal, it's a nice change to overreact to actual games!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Thanks for pulling this together, Joe Willie!

How close would Colgate have to keep it against Cuse tonight to crack your top 20? Two goals? Three goals? This is assuming that Colgate can defeat Hobart this weekend, which, of course is not a slam dunk.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:23 am Thanks for pulling this together, Joe Willie!

How close would Colgate have to keep it against Cuse tonight to crack your top 20? Two goals? Three goals? This is assuming that Colgate can defeat Hobart this weekend, which, of course is not a slam dunk.
Interesting question? This always brings up the debate about "good" losses of which I am in the corner of, their is no such thing as a good loss. ANY loss is bad.
That being said, beating PSU on the road was amazing, and my eye test showed that Colgate was just as athletic, and as skilled as PSU.
Can't wait to see tonight's game and possibly get a real feel for Colgate. Let's face it, a win over the Cuse wouldn't even just squeak Colgate into the top 20, but would probably propel them easily into the top 15.
Close loss? Sorry, not making my top 20 yet.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I'd bet never in the history of the sport have the number 4 PSU and number 5 Hopkins lost in the first week of the season. Maybe the parody we have been saying is coming for thirty years is actually here?
coda

Post by coda »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:06 am
Can Opener wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:23 am Thanks for pulling this together, Joe Willie!

Interesting question? This always brings up the debate about "good" losses of which I am in the corner of, their is no such thing as a good loss. ANY loss is bad.
That being said, beating PSU on the road was amazing, and my eye test showed that Colgate was just as athletic, and as skilled as PSU.
Can't wait to see tonight's game and possibly get a real feel for Colgate. Let's face it, a win over the Cuse wouldn't even just squeak Colgate into the top 20, but would probably propel them easily into the top 15.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
If Colgate wins, you have to put them in the top 10. I dont think it will last, but they have to go in the top 10
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

coda wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:42 am
joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:06 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78
If Colgate wins, you have to put them in the top 10. I dont think it will last, but they have to go in the top 10
According to DraftKings, Cuse is an 8-goal favorite tonight. True David vs. Goliath matchup. I might advocate for Colgate to "receive votes" if they stay within 3 of Cuse and go on to beat Hobart. The fact that Kohn appeared to tweak his wrist against Vermont would be more concerning if their backup wasn't so good. But overall, I agree with JW and the NCAA selection committee that there is no such thing as a good loss.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”