2024 top 20

D1 Mens Lacrosse
norcalhop

Re: 2024 top 20

Post by norcalhop »

This has been a fun albeit pedantic exercise. I think we can all agree though, only poll that truly matters is the one at the end of memorial day weekend.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:28 pm This has been a fun albeit pedantic exercise. I think we can all agree though, only poll that truly matters is the one at the end of memorial day weekend.
On that I can agree.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:28 pm This has been a fun albeit pedantic exercise. I think we can all agree though, only poll that truly matters is the one at the end of memorial day weekend.
Disagree on the pedantic comment. College lax fans have about 4 months to debate issues based on actual performance. These polls matter because right now every team still has a chance and everyone can stay involved. The final poll doesn't matter because it will already be settled on the field. North Carolina was not voted #1 in 2016 because they were the best team from February to April. This poll is about being a fan and enjoying the season; there's nothing pedantic about that (unless you hate sports).
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:22 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:15 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:13 pm You are what your record says you are
Cool, you just made it easy. 9-3 > 7-4
I don't think they are arguing Cornell should be higher than Hopkins. Even though they might have insinuated 3 = 5.
If you really think that there is any significance in the difference between SOS 3 and 5, given the unscientific nature of the metric on which SOS is based, RPI, I question your ability to think critically.
coda

Post by coda »

Gobigred wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:17 am
I don't think they are arguing Cornell should be higher than Hopkins. Even though they might have insinuated 3 = 5.
If you really think that there is any significance in the difference between SOS 3 and 5, given the unscientific nature of the metric on which SOS is based, RPI, I question your ability to think critically.
I wouldnt say they are unscientific. It is not uniform though. Different ways to getting to that value. Massey has it MaryLand, ND, Cornell, Hopkins, and Virginia. LAx Ref has it Maryland, ND, Hopkins, Cuse, and OSU.. Depends on the data you are using.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

coda wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 am
Gobigred wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:17 am
I wouldnt say they are unscientific. It is not uniform though. Different ways to getting to that value. Massey has it MaryLand, ND, Cornell, Hopkins, and Virginia. LAx Ref has it Maryland, ND, Hopkins, Cuse, and OSU.. Depends on the data you are using.
They are not precise. There are, as you've noted, multiple metrics to use to calculate SOS. Here's another way to look at it. Hop has played four games against top ten RPI teams and seven against top twenty. Cornell has played five (including #1 ND) and eight. Bottom line, the schedules are essentially equivalent in difficulty. I'm tired of this nonsense that ACC and B1G schedules are somehow inherently more difficult. You have to look at the specifics. Also of interest is that there are four common opponents, and both have 2-2 records against those four.

I'm not objecting to any ranking or credit to Hop for their season, just to the statement that there is any substantive difference in the difficulty of their schedules.
Finster

Post by Finster »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:58 pm
Disagree on the pedantic comment. College lax fans have about 4 months to debate issues based on actual performance. These polls matter because right now every team still has a chance and everyone can stay involved. The final poll doesn't matter because it will already be settled on the field. North Carolina was not voted #1 in 2016 because they were the best team from February to April. This poll is about being a fan and enjoying the season; there's nothing pedantic about that (unless you hate sports).

I mean, Keno for the mic drop 😂

I have a suggestion: if anyone here doesn’t like polls or appreciates JoeWillie’s effort and time, how about just not commenting? It’s really not that difficult to avoid conversations where your only input is being the rain at the picnic.

Polls are fun. They ain’t science. And 2024 has been a beast in not assisting anyone who makes them. The irony I see is JoeWillie is the only pollster who I think shows zero bias, plus actually looks at games and not his Twitter follower count (ahem IL Media poll…), and didn’t get paid! But his are pretty darn good.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Finster wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:10 am ... The irony I see is JoeWillie is the only pollster who I think shows zero bias, plus actually looks at games and not his Twitter follower count (ahem IL Media poll…), and didn’t get paid! But his are pretty darn good.
Yes, but JW will never get that sweet sweet IL podcast without playing to the crowd & giving b@££washing interviews!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Thanks Finster,

And by the way, I don't even have a Twitter account, and if I did, I probably could count the number of followers I would have on one hand.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:10 am
keno in reno wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:58 pm

I mean, Keno for the mic drop 😂

I have a suggestion: if anyone here doesn’t like polls or appreciates JoeWillie’s effort and time, how about just not commenting? It’s really not that difficult to avoid conversations where your only input is being the rain at the picnic.

Polls are fun. They ain’t science. And 2024 has been a beast in not assisting anyone who makes them. The irony I see is JoeWillie is the only pollster who I think shows zero bias, plus actually looks at games and not his Twitter follower count (ahem IL Media poll…), and didn’t get paid! But his are pretty darn good.
I think JoeWillie would agree that his polls are an institution here and create lacrosse conversation. He enjoys that. He is a good sport. As long as it is done respectfully, he is not going to get upset about people disagreeing with him. That is why we all show up here. To discuss everyday BS about college lacrosse. If someone complains about that, they should consider the irony of coming to lacrosse message board and complaining about the purpose of the board.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Thanks Coda,

I don't know about an "institution" but they do seem to spur on great conversation.

The arrows I take are really just part of the fun and dialogue it produces.

As I have said before, I LOVE polls.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:21 am ... I don't even have a Twitter account...
5 thumbs up
Hvikings

Post by Hvikings »

I have no clue how Denver is at #7 lol. Going into the weekend they were #10. Georgetown was #6. So Denver was 10 with wins over number 3 Hopkins number 8 Cornell and just beat number 6. There loses are to Duke 11-7 and if u watched the game u would know it was 8-7 with 3 min left. Duke scored three quick ones in final min. Then lost to number 9 Yale whose 1st in ivy. Denver win over Air Force is looking good since there 1st place in there conference and they beat OSU 9-6 at OSU. Hopkins loses to Denver beats OSU in OT and lost to Cornell another team Denver beat and the best they can get in a 7 ranking. There 3-2 against top 10 and are 7. I’m noticing quite a bit of bias towards Hopkins in these rankings. They have more loses. Lost to Denver and haven’t done as well against common opponents
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hvikings wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:03 pm I have no clue how Denver is at #7 lol. Going into the weekend they were #10. Georgetown was #6. So Denver was 10 with wins over number 3 Hopkins number 8 Cornell and just beat number 6. There loses are to Duke 11-7 and if u watched the game u would know it was 8-7 with 3 min left. Duke scored three quick ones in final min. Then lost to number 9 Yale whose 1st in ivy. Denver win over Air Force is looking good since there 1st place in there conference and they beat OSU 9-6 at OSU. Hopkins loses to Denver beats OSU in OT and lost to Cornell another team Denver beat and the best they can get in a 7 ranking. There 3-2 against top 10 and are 7. I’m noticing quite a bit of bias towards Hopkins in these rankings. They have more loses. Lost to Denver and haven’t done as well against common opponents
If you're going to cry about it at least get your facts right. Hopkins hasn't played Cornell. They are both 2-0 against their common opponents (Georgetown and Ohio State).

Yes, Denver beat Hopkins in overtime over two months ago. Denver might be better, but it's hard to know for sure, because their only other win of substance is Cornell and that was also two months ago. Hopkins has beaten Virginia and Penn State since then. Hopkins is also on a 4-game win streak and undefeated in the Big Ten. When you win, you climb in the polls. When you lose, the opposite happens. Hope that clears things up.
Hvikings

Post by Hvikings »

Whose Denver been losing to other then the number 2 team in country. I wasn’t aware Georgetown who beat the number 1 team in country and was ranked 6 isn’t a quality win. Air Force is undefeated in there conference which as of now would also put them in tourney. Denver wansnt biting there fingernails in ot against OSU. 9-6 did OSU justice it was a way more one sided game then that. So if one team had three loses and another had two and the team with two loses won head to head over the team with 3 loses on the road while we’re at it. The team with 3 loses should be ranked 4 spots higher then the team with 2. Sounds pretty stupid don’t u think? Lol.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hvikings wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:08 pm Whose Denver been losing to other then the number 2 team in country. I wasn’t aware Georgetown who beat the number 1 team in country and was ranked 6 isn’t a quality win. Air Force is undefeated in there conference which as of now would also put them in tourney. Denver wansnt biting there fingernails in ot against OSU. 9-6 did OSU justice it was a way more one sided game then that. So if one team had three loses and another had two and the team with two loses won head to head over the team with 3 loses on the road while we’re at it. The team with 3 loses should be ranked 4 spots higher then the team with 2. Sounds pretty stupid don’t u think? Lol.
Hopkins beat Georgetown too? That's why I wasn't including them as a point in Denver's favor. If you have to use Air Force as evidence of a quality win then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Denver was literally ranked #1 at one point. There's no bias.
Hvikings

Post by Hvikings »

To say they have climbed the rankings and that’s why there 3 and that there’s no bias is funny. Yep Denver was 1 in week 4 and not one team had a drop like them. They went from 1 to 10 lol. That same week they were 1 guess who was number 2. Yes and they both lost. What did Hopkins get for losing. An 8 spot. Lol. They have been ranked ahead of Denver since week 5 with more losses and losing at home head to head. Say what u want Denver is 3-2 against top 10 and can only get a 7 ranking lol. As far as Air Force goes lol. They beat Denver last yr and don’t conference winners make the tourney. Well as of right now that’s looking like a win against a tourney team.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hvikings wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:57 pm To say they have climbed the rankings and that’s why there 3 and that there’s no bias is funny. Yep Denver was 1 in week 4 and not one team had a drop like them. They went from 1 to 10 lol. That same week they were 1 guess who was number 2. Yes and they both lost. What did Hopkins get for losing. An 8 spot. Lol. They have been ranked ahead of Denver since week 5 with more losses and losing at home head to head. Say what u want Denver is 3-2 against top 10 and can only get a 7 ranking lol. As far as Air Force goes lol. They beat Denver last yr and don’t conference winners make the tourney. Well as of right now that’s looking like a win against a tourney team.
Hopkins was #2 because they had just beaten Virginia. They fell several spots after losing by one goal on a neutral field to #9 Syracuse. Again, your facts are wrong. Denver fell to #8, not #10, after they lost by two at home to #12 Yale. Everyone else in the top 10 won that week. That's why they fell further than Hopkins did.

Denver needing a miracle to beat Hopkins in overtime was ages ago. It's hardly relevant to today's poll. I notice you don't seem too upset about Denver being ranked ahead of a Yale team that they lost to. Is that pro-Denver bias and anti-Yale bias?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Denver should be dropped another four spots (to 11) as a penalty for their fan’s whining and also because the school is named after a mere city instead of something cool like a state or, even better, a railroad baron who fell in love with his first cousin.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:35 pm Denver should be dropped another four spots (to 11) as a penalty for their fan’s whining

DocBarrister :)

Lol, that’s rich Doc

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”