Re: My 2024 probably not gonna happen predictions

Post by hmmm »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:13 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:12 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:45 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:25 am
intheknow247 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:23 am
hmmm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:08 am
watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:05 pm I think NU will be hard to stop in 2024. Don't see anyone else getting close. Maybe BC if the transfers get acclimated quickly.

I was dubious about UNC and then the injury reports started coming out. Sad for those kids. I just don't see any leadership in that program rn which makes winning a championship tough. Younger kids gonna have to grow up fast.

Still not convinced on ND ... coaching matters.

I think Cuse struggles this season, too many key pieces missing, they will need some role players to really step up.

Interested to see if Cathy Reese can regain some of the Terp mojo. It's been bumpy down there in College Park. Uncharacteristic inconsistency.

Varying reports out of Baltimore and JHU ... has TM changed the culture or is there a mutiny brewing?

My breakthrough team is Penn (although IWCLA seems to know what they are capable of ... preseason #13). Folks seem to forget they gave BC all they could handle (9-7) on the road in the NCAA tourney and they have the full starting lineup back. Excellent coach.

On a personal note, I am hopeful that the BIG GREEN will take a step forward in 2024. They return a good core and have made progress to get themselves back into the conversation. Big fan of Alax McFadden.
Maybe the mutiny was thwarted? A lot of people confused by this statement. Going to just throw something like out that out there with no context?
Reports from Homewood are real...TM culture is different than Tucker's, and is different than any other coach, so there is inherently going to be a learning curve based on that. But, pushback is definitely louder than TM would like and honeymoon phase is wearing thin with girls.
If you say so. What reports from Homewood? Of course the cultures are different. But half the girls on the team never played for CT. Curious how you think the way he coaches is different than any other coach.
- Reports from Homewood as in the girls on the team talking, talking to friends at other programs, talking to parents...
- But the half that didn't play for TM are the older girls who are the ones that steer the narrative, just like in any program.
- Read the line again, it is saying that every coaches culture is different from every other coach. And I stated culture, not coaching.
So a few disgruntled players talking to their friends who then are talking to parents means there are some sort of major issues at JHU? I got news for you. There are disgruntled players, and even more so disgruntled parents on every team. In many cases the players are completely happy but it's the parents that are complaining to other parents.

I think I'll trust my sources on this and say that this is all nonsense.
I agree with that. Supposedly there’s problems in every locker room. And parents stir the rumor mill more than anything because Coach thinks little Susie is better than their little Mary. Then they take to social media and will tell anybody who will listen. It does make it hard to navigate then do we believe what you hear. Is Colgate’s coach really a problem? The AD doesn’t think so. Did a UNC player really steal a teammates boyfriend?

Not saying that’s the case but it’s a better than average possibility since every team has this issue.
I'm fairly certain everyone that posts on this board hears from other parents about happenings at other programs. As I've said, at some point in the last 10 years I've probably heard people complain about every coach in the top 25. This is why I find it curious that watcherinthewoods and intheknow decided to post here about a potential "mutiny" or serious culture problems at Hopkins. What made these rumors stand out above any other scuttlebutt you hear through the years so much that you posted it here? And then someone else decided to just throw out there that maybe it had to do with bringing in Madison Doucette with no apparent information to suggest why they think that. Why speculate about that? The team loves Madison and she's been fantastic all fall and in the UVA scrimmage Saturday. Yes, without question it's an unfortunate situation for the returning goalie and I'm sure there's frustration there. But it's not something that has divided the team in any way.

I'm genuinely curious why this situation has somehow been deemed different than the typical drama that unfolds at every program, every year.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:15 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:08 am Maybe the mutiny was thwarted?
Who ate the strawberries?
GREAT reference!!!!! Caine mutiny. Such a good movie. You’re giving away your age…
njbill

Post by njbill »

If I could give away my age and trade it for a lower number, I’d do it in a heartbeat. :lol:
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

hmmm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:33 pm The team loves Madison and she's been fantastic all fall and in the UVA scrimmage Saturday.
How did the scrimmage go?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

GratefulRed wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:47 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:33 pm The team loves Madison and she's been fantastic all fall and in the UVA scrimmage Saturday.
A bit sloppy and a too many turnovers by both teams. Both goalies played very well. Hopkins won 9-7.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

hmmm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:57 pm
A bit sloppy and a too many turnovers by both teams. Both goalies played very well. Hopkins won 9-7.
Good info. That’s encouraging for uva given all they lost from last year. If they can get strong goalie play, they could surprise some folks this year…
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

Surprisingly low scoring. Did laMonica not take her up tempo style from Towson with her?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:43 pm
Surprisingly low scoring. Did laMonica not take her up tempo style from Towson with her?
A lot of turnovers + a lot of saves = low amount of goals
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Since my JHU remark caused such a kerfuffle ... I'll add one more thought on the imminent season:

Why is no one talking about Denver's transfers? Early, Vaughn, Penoyer have the potential to add a whole new dimension to a 2023 final four team. Even Cummings seems to have missed the boat on what I think is some pretty big upside for the PIOS. They don't necessarily need "more consistent production from their key offensive players". They need these three transfers to deliver on their potential.

ANOTHER PIOS FINAL FOUR?
An appearance for Denver in the Final Four was not on my 2023 list of predictions, and boy was I wrong to think otherwise. The Pioneers had a spectacular season full of gritty defensive play, composure in big moments and confidence in their offensive schemes and game plans. They honestly reminded me of a Northwestern team from the early 2000s — tactical, aggressive and surefooted. I can’t wait to see if they can grow and push their level of play even farther. If they can get more consistent production from their key offensive players in big moments while continuing their defensive prowess, they can go all the way.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm Since my JHU remark caused such a kerfuffle ... I'll add one more thought on the imminent season:

Why is no one talking about Denver's transfers? Early, Vaughn, Penoyer have the potential to add a whole new dimension to a 2023 final four team. Even Cummings seems to have missed the boat on what I think is some pretty big upside for the PIOS. They don't necessarily need "more consistent production from their key offensive players". They need these three transfers to deliver on their potential.

ANOTHER PIOS FINAL FOUR?
An appearance for Denver in the Final Four was not on my 2023 list of predictions, and boy was I wrong to think otherwise. The Pioneers had a spectacular season full of gritty defensive play, composure in big moments and confidence in their offensive schemes and game plans. They honestly reminded me of a Northwestern team from the early 2000s — tactical, aggressive and surefooted. I can’t wait to see if they can grow and push their level of play even farther. If they can get more consistent production from their key offensive players in big moments while continuing their defensive prowess, they can go all the way.
How is it missing the boat to say they could win it all if they get more offensive production. Isn't that the general consensus on Denver this year?
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

jff97 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:23 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm Since my JHU remark caused such a kerfuffle ... I'll add one more thought on the imminent season:

ANOTHER PIOS FINAL FOUR?
How is it missing the boat to say they could win it all if they get more offensive production. Isn't that the general consensus on Denver this year?
To discuss Denver's offensive production and NOT mention three key transfers in attack and midfield is a miss, IMHO. And not a small one.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:42 pm
jff97 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:23 pm

ANOTHER PIOS FINAL FOUR?
To discuss Denver's offensive production and NOT mention three key transfers in attack and midfield is a miss, IMHO. And not a small one.
No question about it.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Great topic. Seeing how Jane early’s game translates to d1 is going to be fascinating

But I will take the under on Denver relative to consensus. I don’t think they make final four and it wouldn’t shock me if they weren’t elite 8…though I hope and expect them to make the quarters.
They had a GREAT season last year. And return most of the team and some interesting offensive additions.
But they had never been a top 10 team before last year and I think they massively overperformed. They are not going to sneak up on anyone this year. They will get everyone’s best offensive scheming and best effort. Hot pink won’t be underestimated like I think it was for much of last year…They have less talent on offense than other top 10 teams even with pennoyer and early.

It’s a long season—but we get a first look when they play Louisville tomorrow….and they should handle Louisville!
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:25 pm Great topic. Seeing how Jane early’s game translates to d1 is going to be fascinating

But I will take the under on Denver relative to consensus. I don’t think they make final four and it wouldn’t shock me if they weren’t elite 8…though I hope and expect them to make the quarters.
They had a GREAT season last year. And return most of the team and some interesting offensive additions.
But they had never been a top 10 team before last year and I think they massively overperformed. They are not going to sneak up on anyone this year. They will get everyone’s best offensive scheming and best effort. Hot pink won’t be underestimated like I think it was for much of last year…They have less talent on offense than other top 10 teams even with pennoyer and early.

It’s a long season—but we get a first look when they play Louisville tomorrow….and they should handle Louisville!
Denver’s rankings (IWLCA poll)
Year - start of season ranking, peak, end of season ranking
2022 14,9,11
2021 11,11,13
2020 10, 10, 16
2019 19, 8, 8

While Denver hasn’t been a perennial top 10 team, to say they were never a top 10 team is false.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

hmmm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:31 pm
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:43 pm
A lot of turnovers + a lot of saves = low amount of goals
So is UVa playing at a much faster tempo than last year?
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

user1020 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:27 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:25 pm Great topic. Seeing how Jane early’s game translates to d1 is going to be fascinating

2022 14,9,11
2021 11,11,13
2020 10, 10, 16
2019 19, 8, 8

While Denver hasn’t been a perennial top 10 team, to say they were never a top 10 team is false.
I stand corrected. They were ranked 10th or better at the end of the season exactly once prior to last year. Now twice!

My point still stands regarding their historical performance and reputation . They have been considered by nearly everyone to be a top 20 program over the past 10 years, not a top 10. They have made 7 of last 10 tourneys, and I don’t believe they’ve ever been seeded in top 8 prior to last year…..

The point I was trying to make is that repeating last year will be hard. This isn’t a team full of superstars who finished 4th like usual. It’s a team that most people last year thought would be 10 or 11, who had an incredible year and finished 4th. It wouldn’t shock me if they finished this year where people expected them to finish last year…..

I can’t wait to find out…
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

user1020 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:27 pm

2022 14,9,11
2021 11,11,13
2020 10, 10, 16
2019 19, 8, 8

I stand corrected. They were ranked 10th or better at the end of the season exactly once prior to last year. Now twice!

My point still stands regarding their historical performance and reputation . They have been considered by nearly everyone to be a top 20 program over the past 10 years, not a top 10. They have made 7 of last 10 tourneys, and I don’t believe they’ve ever been seeded in top 8 prior to last year…..

The point I was trying to make is that repeating last year will be hard. This isn’t a team full of superstars who finished 4th like usual. It’s a team that most people last year thought would be 10 or 11, who had an incredible year and finished 4th. It wouldn’t shock me if they finished this year where people expected them to finish last year…..

I can’t wait to find out…
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Here's my hot take for the year (end of year as the case would be...).

Duke finally moves on from KK. Perhaps a similar situation as UVA this past year. Skiera has another decent year with VT, but loses in the ACC quarters, and no post season. Skiera, takes the Duke job. Easier place to recruit than VT, and she's an alum. Seems like the perfect fit.
timber18888

Post by timber18888 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:28 pm - Northwestern wins national title, but loses at least 2 games

- Final Four: Northwestern, BC, Maryland, Cuse

- Elite Elite: Final Four plus UNC, USC, Denver, Hopkins

- At some point in the season, Laliberty will be benched at NU for Argentieri

- Erin Coykendall wins Teerwarton. Other finalists -- Scane, Smith, Sweitzer,

- JMU and Loyola fall off and don't win their conferences

- Freshman of the year: Clevenger

- Brown and Coastal Carolina make the tourney

- Columbia wins its first Ivy league game in several years

- Clemson doesn't win more than 2 ACC game
What's your reasoning behind Laliberty getting benched?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

timber18888 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:28 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:28 pm - Northwestern wins national title, but loses at least 2 games

- Final Four: Northwestern, BC, Maryland, Cuse

- Elite Elite: Final Four plus UNC, USC, Denver, Hopkins

- At some point in the season, Laliberty will be benched at NU for Argentieri

- Erin Coykendall wins Teerwarton. Other finalists -- Scane, Smith, Sweitzer,

- JMU and Loyola fall off and don't win their conferences

- Freshman of the year: Clevenger

- Brown and Coastal Carolina make the tourney

- Columbia wins its first Ivy league game in several years

- Clemson doesn't win more than 2 ACC game
What's your reasoning behind Laliberty getting benched?
Well, she already was yesterday. Just not for Argentieri.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”