Earhart's plane found

General Chatter
cradleandshoot

Earhart's plane found

Post by cradleandshoot »

Did they find Amelia Earhart's plane?? Who cares?? No real mystery. Amelia and her navigator fouled up while navigating. Too bad Amelia didn't have a GPS app on her smart phone.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
njbill

Re: Earhart's plane found

Post by njbill »

How do you know she didn’t have GPS? Did they find her smart phone, too?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:08 am How do you know she didn’t have GPS? Did they find her smart phone, too?
Plane crash? Hope she's OK.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I heard she was texting on her smart phone while flying. A bad thing, even in the 1930s.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:03 am I heard she was texting on her smart phone while flying. A bad thing, even in the 1930s.
You'd think people would learn?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:03 am I heard she was texting on her smart phone while flying. A bad thing, even in the 1930s.
Shhhhhhhh, that was suppose to be highly classified information. The truth is that their GPS failed them.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:18 am
Shhhhhhhh, that was suppose to be highly classified information. The truth is that their GPS failed them.
It's very likely that the version of GPS they were using - celestial navigation by her navigator Noonan had a calculation error which caused them to miss Howland Island by a small distance - magnified by the location of the island in a huge Pacific Ocean. They ran out of gas trying to find the island
njbill

Post by njbill »

That alleged image of the plane they posted online looks to me like Bigfoot got a little too close to the campfire.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:24 pm That alleged image of the plane they posted online looks to me like Bigfoot got a little too close to the campfire.
All ya gotta do is dive down 16000 feet and have a look see. They know where the image came from. I would be surprised after 90 years there would be anything left at that depth. This airplane isn't the Titanic.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:34 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:24 pm That alleged image of the plane they posted online looks to me like Bigfoot got a little too close to the campfire.
All ya gotta do is dive down 16000 feet and have a look see. They know where the image came from. I would be surprised after 90 years there would be anything left at that depth. This airplane isn't the Titanic.
same water chemistry at that depth - if it is the plane it should be decently preserved - its mostly aluminum not steel
Not so sure you can infer much from just sonar imagery - the have to send an ROV with a camera down there to identify what th eobject really is
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:41 pm
same water chemistry at that depth - if it is the plane it should be decently preserved - its mostly aluminum not steel
Not so sure you can infer much from just sonar imagery - the have to send an ROV with a camera down there to identify what th eobject really is
I don't believe Earhart's plane had the structural integrity of say the Titanic not to mention anywhere near the same mass. I would think the phenomenal pressure at 16000 feet would have flattened the plane out.

No problemo for someone wanting to spend their money to go down and have a look see.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:00 pm
Kismet wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:41 pm
I don't believe Earhart's plane had the structural integrity of say the Titanic not to mention anywhere near the same mass. I would think the phenomenal pressure at 16000 feet would have flattened the plane out.

No problemo for someone wanting to spend their money to go down and have a look see.
Actually, we now know that the Titanic's structural integrity was not so great at the time of its sinking. If Earhart glided the plane to a water landing and then it sank there is a possibility it could still be largely intact even at that depth.

That said, the sonar image is NOT proof what the object is - going to need a ROV and a camera for that. I doubt they will have any problem raising $$$$$$ to support a return - He can always call Bob Ballard who is now on the faculty at URI and also with the Institute For Exploration in Mystic CT.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”