CNU 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxattackjack

Re: CNU 2024

Post by Laxattackjack »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:12 pm Smoke in the cockpit….Big fan watching the development of this program last 10 years. They will continue to be a top 10 but this was their year. If you can’t do it this year it may still be awhile before they win a championship. What I thought would be a strength (5th years) is becoming an issue. I had a conversation with a D3 Coach who also has a number of 5th years and he said it comes with issues and at a cost to roster development. CNU is a very good team but will not beat Salisbury, Tufts or RIT when it maters
i don’t think cnu is a top 10 team. this makes the third loss and this one to #19. they should be in the 11-14 range if ranked based on this year and the current team (vs ranking CNU from the past three seasons)
laxboo10

Post by laxboo10 »

I wonder when CNU coaches will just realize whatever they are doing isn't working. I think CNU might need to start looking for new coaches, the amount of talent CNU has year in and year out just to loose at some time in may and never win a conference championship is just sad and embarrassing. Wouldn't be shocked if we see a bunch of CNU players in the portal next year. Hey if the CNU coaches some day read this maybe it is time to move on from this 5th year class.
Turnandrake!

Post by Turnandrake! »

R-e-l-a-x. Are we going after the Army staff after they lose to unranked Boston last week?? CNU has one of the best staffs in the country and everyone knows it. Ask any coach, they will agree. Yes, this loss stings. The season is not over by any means. CNU plays the hardest schedule in the country. Onward and upward. Don’t come cheering for CNU late in May.
liongoes

Post by liongoes »

CNU has a great staff, they’ve had some tough games this season but they’ve been hovering around the top five for a few years. One of the few teams to beat Salisbury. Might be a funky couple of losses, but if this were the standard for coaches getting canned there wouldn’t be any coaches left.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

As it is with many teams/games - a potential W vs Salisbury makes your season.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

As with any program's progress, it's not a straight line, even for the GOAT. The Gulls have had a handful of ebs. MT is not someone I'd ever recommend walking away from. He's outstanding, he's planted his flag. He's also not able to move on from a class of students that helped build their current situation and likely leads the locker room/culture. It's not that simple. Tough loss. Recognize it, own it, learn from it, flush it.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Not sure what is going on with CNU recently….

Up 5-3 against a not that good MSU team with 6min in the 3rd.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

After going Scoreless in the 3rd Q..CNU puts up 7 goals in the 4th to win 12-6.

Big game next weekend at home vs Salisbury.
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

CNU 2024 is a disaster, let’s face it. They mortgaged their future on an all graduate team and basically carry a 100 player roster with most freezing on the sidelines. There is a really good chance they don’t even make the NCAAs. Even if they do, their chances of winning it are close to zero.

Then everyone graduates from this team that is probably in the #15-#25 range in rankings. And they’ll plummet next year. Their ranking is way inflated because it’s self serving for the teams that play them to rank them highly.

But they’ll still get a ton of AA’s this year, hope it was worth it!
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

SouthieLax wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:41 pm CNU 2024 is a disaster, let’s face it. They mortgaged their future on an all graduate team and basically carry a 100 player roster with most freezing on the sidelines. There is a really good chance they don’t even make the NCAAs. Even if they do, their chances of winning it are close to zero.

Then everyone graduates from this team that is probably in the #15-#25 range in rankings. And they’ll plummet next year. Their ranking is way inflated because it’s self serving for the teams that play them to rank them highly.

southie lax stepping away from the NESCAC board to smack talk cnu. seems odd.
EasternShoreLaxGuy

Post by EasternShoreLaxGuy »

SouthieLax wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:41 pm CNU 2024 is a disaster, let’s face it. They mortgaged their future on an all graduate team and basically carry a 100 player roster with most freezing on the sidelines. There is a really good chance they don’t even make the NCAAs. Even if they do, their chances of winning it are close to zero.

Agreed. Cook definitely shows signs of being a really good player but I don’t think he’s improved since 2022. Possibly gained weight and went backwards from where he was when he arrived at cnu. Same for cabaniss. The real story is the difference between d mids and the athleticism between su and cnu. SU d mids go against 3 first team aa every day in practice. The reason I’m not nervous about playing cnu later in the season is that they simply cannot cover our guys 1v1 and they know it. And Hanway is not capable of getting extremely hot. They almost need a goalie like Dickinson had a few years ago to have a chance brandaau I think. Everything has to go their way for a chance to win by 1.
Bananas4Laxx

Post by Bananas4Laxx »

New year same CNU team. Underachieving once again. They have 24 year olds and still can’t be competitive with the top tier teams! Also, what in the world has happened to this teams defense? Maybe the Boston Cannons saw MTs CNU defense and realized they need to look somewhere else….
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

I think we can praise Salisbury without knocking down CNU. Let’s face it, Salisbury is a top 30 D1 team playing D3 competition. Nobody is touching these guys this year. They shoot the lights out of the ball and have so many different guys who can put the ball in the back of the net. CNU is a very good D3 team and will be for a long time, but they are not on Salisbury’s level and that’s okay because I don’t think any other D3 team is. The cherry on top of the talent they have is that their coaching coaching staff is also head and shoulders above the rest.
Notgoodatlax

Post by Notgoodatlax »

Delivery aside, the team definitely isn't playing to the level they likely want or many observers expected.

Thoughts on adjustments that can / should be made to prepare for post season play and a crack at turning the year around?
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

BigMoose9 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:44 pm I think we can praise Salisbury without knocking down CNU. Let’s face it, Salisbury is a top 30 D1 team playing D3 competition. Nobody is touching these guys this year. They shoot the lights out of the ball and have so many different guys who can put the ball in the back of the net. CNU is a very good D3 team and will be for a long time, but they are not on Salisbury’s level and that’s okay because I don’t think any other D3 team is. The cherry on top of the talent they have is that their coaching coaching staff is also head and shoulders above the rest.
They are rostered like a D1 program, depth at every position.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Notgoodatlax wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:45 am Delivery aside, the team definitely isn't playing to the level they likely want or many observers expected.

Thoughts on adjustments that can / should be made to prepare for post season play and a crack at turning the year around?
Must say… the 5th/grad year players just seem to be going with the motion and not playing like their starting job is on the line. Offense looks stale, defense has way too many mental lapses, goalie play freshman vs senior.

Like to see some fire coming out in the second half of the season. If some underclassmen, who are ready, can come in and mix up the line ups. More depth to run guys harder. Defense to lock in and play more home defense, slide to d mids faster as that’s their weak point.

We all saw what they did to Dickinson. Just waiting for that team to show up and stick around… hopefully in MAY when it counts.
EasternShoreLaxGuy

Post by EasternShoreLaxGuy »

Oaklax wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:50 pm
Notgoodatlax wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:45 am Delivery aside, the team definitely isn't playing to the level they likely want or many observers expected.

Must say… the 5th/grad year players just seem to be going with the motion and not playing like their starting job is on the line. Offense looks stale, defense has way too many mental lapses, goalie play freshman vs senior.

Like to see some fire coming out in the second half of the season. If some underclassmen, who are ready, can come in and mix up the line ups. More depth to run guys harder. Defense to lock in and play more home defense, slide to d mids faster as that’s their weak point.

We all saw what they did to Dickinson. Just waiting for that team to show up and stick around… hopefully in MAY when it counts.

Fair assumption. But I doubt it, looks like they need a reset
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

EasternShoreLaxGuy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:04 pm
Oaklax wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:50 pm

Fair assumption. But I doubt it, looks like they need a reset
Weird to see what a mid season reset would be… adding the other Miller brother has been beneficially so far.

Anyone have insight on playoffs? Are they in?

Would a loss to WL and Salisbury (in championship) not make it? Or their SOS is still strong?. No AQ in CLC I don’t believe.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:12 pm Smoke in the cockpit….Big fan watching the development of this program last 10 years. They will continue to be a top 10 but this was their year. If you can’t do it this year it may still be awhile before they win a championship. What I thought would be a strength (5th years) is becoming an issue. I had a conversation with a D3 Coach who also has a number of 5th years and he said it comes with issues and at a cost to roster development. CNU is a very good team but will not beat Salisbury, Tufts or RIT when it maters
I keep coming back to this, but the cultural issues that accompany graduate student laden rosters are also a challenge. It's not just the on-field development of the underclassman being sacrificed. You're gonna lose the buy-in from a lot of those kids and families. Equity theory. And if you DON'T play the 5th/6th years you'll lose the whole locker room. It doesn't seem to be working particularly well for many of these rosters.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

Second game with the Gulls is the one that matters. That is all.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”